As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40k] Which wych is which?

1565758596062»

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I dunno, I think it will definitely help for my warhams friends. All we want to do is be space marines, not inquisitors or regular humans.

It won't be a super long campaign... mostly just dungeon crawls.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Actually, the preview adventures make it more... Video gamish instead of kill everything everything between points a and b.
    It's more set up like old school Rainbow Six with it's list of primary, secondary and thirdtary objective and how achieving each one effects the mission overall.

I also think they set it up for more group dynamics since an Ultramarine probably isn't going to get along too well with a Space Wolf. (Codex deviations and all)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have played the free rpg day book of Deathwatch and in the game we have kind of played It was being bodyguards for the inquistior as he investagated the imperial guard leadership as they fought the tau

Brainleech on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    why the fuck am I up at 3am making a robot tank out of bitz...

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well what the fuck else are you gonna make a robot tank out of? :P

SJ on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm getting so antsy. I just want my Forgeworld stuff :(

-Loki- on
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Apparently I've lost my tape measure and a tub of dice somewhere, ugh, I hate having to borrow other peoples stuff to play.

Played a super close game against some other Nids last night, had it ended on turn 5 I would have won, but it went on to turn 6 and he beat me. His was a dual Tervigon list with the Swarmlord and two Trygon Primes. I made some incredibly awful rolls: a squad of 10 poisoned Genestealers charged a Trygon Prime, you would imagine that that'd be enough to kill most things but no, it just turns around and squashes me. (But he did the same thing later to my Trgon, so I guess it balances.) My Trygon was going for a turn 2 charge against one of his Tervigons, rolled three 1s for his difficult terrain.

His Swarmlord basically stomped up the board killing anything it touched, as you'd expect. Then it managed to live through two turns of Devourer fire and basically win the game for him. Real men of the match were my squad of fifteen Hormagaunts which tore through 4X their points value as they rampaged up the board...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ...The hot 'Nid on 'Nid action!

Personally, I prefer games which can go either way like that. Even if I lose!
    The best games are the ones where it comes down to that one die roll!

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've seen several rumours kicking about that all Grey Knights will be psychic.
    If it's true, DE with the Crucible of Malediction have the potential for hilarity.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I thought all grey knights are psychic on one level or another

I find it funny people steal crown royal liquor at work all the time but leave the bag which was when I was in high school the tres chic dice bag

I still have the bag I made in 9th grade and the wallet I made that year out of leather

Brainleech on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I've seen several rumours kicking about that all Grey Knights will be psychic.
    If it's true, DE with the Crucible of Malediction have the potential for hilarity.

Downside: you roll 3d6" for the range on it. So you'd really need to charge right into them to make sure.

Also, I just finished drilling holes in the body and wargear for my hekatrix. Going over to a buddy's place soon where the magnets are waiting for me.

2mm works perfect for Dark Eldar arms - you just need to make really sure you get the hole centered.

And now I'm considering magnetizing the trophy rack as well in case I want Phantasm launchers for the squad. :P

Echo on
  • Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I find it funny people steal crown royal liquor at work all the time but leave the bag which was when I was in high school the tres chic dice bag

Your Crown Royal still comes in a bag? Thought they got rid of the bag years ago!

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »

Your Crown Royal still comes in a bag? Thought they got rid of the bag years ago!

Fun trick for people in need of a dice bag but don't actually want to buy a Crown Royal bottle themselves: Lots of upper-scale bars oft times go through Crown Royal bottles like they're candy, and literally have piles of bags they will gladly hand over if asked. Saves them a trip to a garbage can.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just got back from a game against Dark Angels, in which my Tau got to come out and play after a long winter slumber.

I lost but had a great time. The first turn I was tearing it up, which made me feel good. Then, after almost all of my army was destroyed, I had the chance to kill off both of his HQs in a ballsy move. It ended up working, which again made me feel good. I had 250 out of 1500 left when the game ended mercifully, and he had about three times that. I still need to get better at having my crisis suits get charged, though.

Also, is it time? Do we make a new thread? How does that work?

saluksic on
  • 28682868 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As someone entirely new to this game I've got a rules question or two.

1) I see the internet over complaints about how slow terminator armor is. Does this simply apply to the pursuit rule? Or movement? Consulting both the Main Rulebook and the 5th ed codex yields no info about their movement range so we've just been giving them 6". TL;DR, why do people call terminators slow?

2) Can you shoot into a unit engaged in an assault? Meaning a group of space marines fighting a group of nobz can(not?) be targeted by, say a group of lootas? I think no, but the rulebook is unclear I only know for sure that you can not shoot out of an assault. Because we were unsure last time we just gave the targeted unit a cover save of 4+.

3) The flamers/skorchas kombi weapon/burnas all must make an ap check even though the template hits right? What if you are firing into an opening, does it auto wound or do you check against armor? Also I assume that a scorcha doesn't get the use as a power weapon that burnas do at close range.

4) Finally, do folks play this game at PAX east? I'm thinking of bringing an army.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    2868 wrote: »

1) I see the internet over complaints about how slow terminator armor is. Does this simply apply to the pursuit rule? Or movement? Consulting both the Main Rulebook and the 5th ed codex yields no info about their movement range so we've just been giving them 6". TL;DR, why do people call terminators slow?

2) Can you shoot into a unit engaged in an assault? Meaning a group of space marines fighting a group of nobz can(not?) be targeted by, say a group of lootas? I think no, but the rulebook is unclear I only know for sure that you can not shoot out of an assault. Because we were unsure last time we just gave the targeted unit a cover save of 4+.

3) The flamers/skorchas kombi weapon/burnas all must make an ap check even though the template hits right? What if you are firing into an opening, does it auto wound or do you check against armor? Also I assume that a scorcha doesn't get the use as a power weapon that burnas do at close range.

4) Finally, do folks play this game at PAX east? I'm thinking of bringing an army.

1) Termies have a 6'' move and cannot run units down from assault. People call them slow because they dont have jump packs and usually need to be close to do damage. This means buying them a land raider, deepstriking, or running them up the field (usually a bad idea)

2. You cannot shoot any unit in an assault. Unless you have some stupid crazy psychic power which explicitly says so.

3. Not sure what an AP check is. For template weapons, you place the template starting at the gun and see how many enemy models it covers (you must place the template so it does not cover any of your models). Each model partially or wholly covered is a hit. You then roll to wound as normal and the enemy unit may make saves as normal (unless the AP of the weapon is equal to or less than their armor save)

edit: Welcome to the community! Death to the false emperor!

Spherick on
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    2868 wrote: »

1) Because they move like regular infantry, 6" at a time. If you didn't give them a transport they're likely never going to make it into combat, and even if they do make the first combat, they are often too far away from another unit afterwards.

2) You can never target any unit in close combat. The only way that shooting might hit a unit in combat is if a blast template scatters onto a unit in close combat.

3) I'm unsure what you mean by an AP check? Template weapons auto-hits the number of models under the template, so you then roll strength vs toughness to see if it wounds for all of those hits. If it wounds, the hit player allocates wounds to models. If the model's armor value is lower than the AP value of the weapon they can then roll to save the wound, otherwise the model is removed as killed.

Simpsonia on
  • PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It might be just the gaming group I've going to lately to play warmachine but many warmachine players seem to hate 40k and GW with a passion.

PixelMonkey on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That might just be because compared to 40k Warmachine is a much tighter, better written, better balanced game that encourages much more tactical thought and PP is pretty much like GW was back in the early 90s when they were friendly and nice and not huge dicks.

I mean I love 40k and all but Warmachine is a superior game if you want a well balanced, highly competetive game with airtight rules.

Also, I have new toys!

swarm9.jpg

Thanks Eldercat!

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
This discussion has been closed.