As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight training thread [WEIGHT TRAINING THREAD] thread

TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Social Entropy++
For a second there I thought this was our new lifting thread. Not so.

So I guess this is.

Just so we're clear:

294tgkl.jpg

Aw yeah.

Also, I have preserved Dead Legend's incredibly helpful previous OP:
big l wrote: »
Hey, what is this thread?

This is the BigMan thread.

What's the deal, should I post here?

That depends. How cool do you find this?

Best played at maximum volume

Pretty fucking cool.

Welcome home. This is where we post about lifting things and moving around. We talk about fitness type stuff, give advice, etc, etc.

So in general, what are you guys about?

How fit you are is basically decided by two things what you eat and what you do. In terms of eating, we obviously prefer healthy stuff chicken, not high fructose corn syrup. We (hopefully rarely, at least) don't spaz out about ridiculously inconsequential things like the trainwreck that was the D&D Low Carb thread. Some people, in situations specific to them, will need to break these rules little guys who need to live on ice cream to get some muscle on and big fellas who need to strict it up a bit to shed some fat. Nobody should ever drink soda. On the movement side, we like the meat and potatoes movements squats, deadlifts, presses, bench presses, and rows/chin-ups are the foundations of any successful weightlifting program. Did I forget to mention that? Weightlifting is kind of our deal, as it should be yours if you have any sense. Anybody, whether they are trying to get big or small or stay the same, will be well-served by a steady diet of the compound lifts. The heavier the better.

So, I'm a guy who's too small and wants to get bigger. What's the deal?

Eat more. Put 200# on your squat and 100# on your bench and call me back in a year.

No, really.

No, really. There are lots of small guys, particularly of the younger persuasion, out there who are small because they just don't lift enough weight, because they don't eat enough to allow their bodies to make the recovery and progress that it can. Do a program that has lots of the aforementioned squats, benches, etc, and steadily increase the weight on the bar. The eating and the lifting are intertwined if you don't eat, you won't increase the weight on the bar, and the weight on the bar is making sure those extra calories are going to muscle, not fat. Reps don't really matter whatever you can consistently progress with. I personally like 5s. Regardless whether your goals have to do with strength or appearance, more weight on the bar is the key to making it happen, so you want a rep range where you can increase the weight on the bar regularly and progressively. If you must maintain aerobic conditioning, keep it under control. Tons of aerobic conditioning can really sap recovery and make it tough to make the progress you should in the lifting. Running is particularly tough, for me personally (coming from a guy who's done a 1:57 half marathon, which isn't fast by any means but isn't a chump run either) and for lots of other people. Think about getting on a Concept2 rower, or something else. Running uphill is better than the flat. If all this isn't clear, feel free to ask a question and we can bicker about minor details regarding this for pages.

So, I'm a guy who's too big and wants to get smaller. What's the deal?

Eat less and move more. Depending on your size, it might only take a little extra movement, especially since the big guys don't want to put too much stress on the joints too early with a ton of running. Really it comes down to eating less, and eating better. Everybody basically know what that means. Vegetables, lean meats, etc. Moving, just get yourself out of breath often and lift some weights so you can maintain or increase your muscle mass, which is a good thing.

So, I'm a girl. What's the deal?

See above. The main difference between girls and boys when it comes to lifting is that boys have more testosterone. This isn't a difference that means girls and boys should do radically different shit. Boys should squat, press, and deadlift so should girls. Boys should do something that gets them out of breath once in a while so should girls. Boys should eat healthy so should girls. Girls won't turn into Arnoldess because they did a squat or a bench press their rear ends will get better looking, their body composition will improve, and their bones will get stronger. There are, believe it or not, other girls who post here, and talk about whatever stuff they have to deal with that I don't understand.

What are some useful links?

Link library:
(too lazy right now to fully populate this but I promise I will edit some stuff in. Please suggest!)

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. The absolute best resource for a novice who wants to learn about form and lifting. This book changed my life.

Wiki version of the above book. It's very good and helpful, but I wouldn't consider it a complete replacement.

Dave Tate on benching. He has a million bench articles, nearly all of which are excellent, but I think this is the Greatest Hits.

A Rather Long Analysis Of The Deadlift by Mark Rippetoe (pdf). This is the best article on the conventional deadlift I've read. Very clear on the biomechanics of the movement and how to move the bar as efficiently as possible.

kudos to big l for the last op, i'm lazy and starting a new lifting thread.

"This should be in the OP!" - Neat stuff that got posted in this thread:
Jy answers the 'more weight v more reps' question:
Jyardana wrote: »
Hey bigman thread, I'm getting back in to lifting and I come across this question:

What is the stance on more weight vs more reps?

In high school I was taught that more reps with less weight would result in a leaner look, while more weight less reps builds bulk. Is this

correct?

High weight, low reps plus high rest = mostly neurological adaptation and not as much muscular growth. You get stronger through a better nervous

system via more motor units being recruited and better rate coding.

High weight, low reps plus low rest = typically yield myofibrilar hypertrophy, where it is the density of the muscle fibers that increases.

moderate weight, high reps and low rest = typically yields a combination of myfibrilar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy where the fiber changes in

density but also increases in fluid retention resulting in bigger muscles but not necessarily as much strength.

Thats over simplified and not necessarily a rule, but it is my experience.

Also- you cant gain bulk without the calories for it. I try telling my female athletes this every year but they all think that by simply lifting a

weight they will turn into a monster. You can't grow without also TRYING to grow via increased food.
Jyardana wrote: »
I'll also post the chart that is more scientifically proven, although there is certainly wiggle room and is more variable

than listed. It is however a good starting guide for developing what you want.

template.jpg

Kak, in response to something gives us some good videos on foam rolling:
How strong are your hamstrings? If it seems to go away when you clench the glutes, your weak point may be

the lower posterior chain: glutes & hamstrings. Or you may be doing "butt wink" on the squats:

This is a good example.

Squat Rx #1

Try working on some hamstring curls and glute-ham raises. I won't recommend straight-leg deadlifts until the pain goes away.

Post workout, try myofascial release techniques:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Qw4aAFdbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0N9VjcXFEM&feature=channel

So you think you can bench series:

So you think you can squat parts 1 and

and part 3

And now we also have parts 4 and 5
And Tate's EXCEPTIONALLY helpful video on bench press form

Docken also posted this for more bench press technique advice

Hec and the learning of the power clean:
hectorse wrote: »
MagnumCT wrote: »
Lifted some weights today; felt good.

Basically, this is what this is all about
webguy20 wrote: »
Will do, I have a couple of those step platforms available to help lift the weights up until I can hit the 45s in however

long an amount of time.

Anybody have videos of good form to post? I don't want to just scour youtube and watch the wrong video. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlbDQUWs0s

best technique I've seen

Coaching the explosion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXcS0Xp1aE

Coaching the racking of the bar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCUmi2oqlvA

If you have starting strength, read the chapter. If you don't, you should buy it (queue PA posters that have learned the lifts without buying no

god damn books)

Bruce making promises HE NEVER DELIVERED ON
I show pride for glorious motherland
68205101501147255315796.jpg

I will wear this with my CCCP shirt in training and get a video up soon. This will happen
(I'm just sayin'...)

I actually missed this the first time it was posted but it needs to go up again
Linksville wrote: »
Sup bros. Watch me hit this deadlift. Ain't nothin' but a peanut.

Dr86Pl.jpg

I guess we do carb cycling sometimes or something?
Does anyone have some hot linkzz on carb cycling? Looking for some reading material before I decide to take the plunge.

So does anyone know if this is accurate at all? Or is this guy just some crezzy e-dude.

The two guys to look for on carb cycling are Shelby Starnes and Lyle McDonald. Shelby is a little less "dogmatic" than Lyle can be, but you'll get good info off of both of their articles on carb cycling.

Starnes EliteFTS Articles

Lyle McDonald's Site

And trying to do squats on a torn calf is not a good idea. I got pinned in the hole with just a single plate. And I can't even do single leg calf raises with no weight right now. This is going to take a while to heal.

Squat form videos - Peen posted this and I liked it. Good work, Peen. 10 points to Gryffindor.

RisenPhoenix gives us Rippetoe on squats:
Hi weightlifting thread.

I know that the general rule is that machines are always worse than free weight , but how much so? I've started adding in squats to my weight lifting routine and I'm really concerned about fucking up my back with sloppy form while I'm not able to handle much weight. Is it wrong to want to get started on the machine and get some experience with the exercise under my belt before moving on to a bar?

Rippetoe knows his squats - I've watched these videos over and over and used them to make sure my form is on point.

Chessboxing with the lay up...
So one year of weight lifting without any breaks, and then starting up Rugby at the end of the season and now Muay thai, I've learned one important thing for anyone new reading this thread.

Do NOT slack off on the stretching.

Seriously. You'll regret it.

TO BIG L FOR THE ALLY-OOP!
psyck0 wrote: »
If you're having trouble getting deep, widen your stance, point your toes out more, and shove your knees out sideways so they track over your feet.

Someone please link what they consider to be a good pre-lifting or post-lifting stretch routine with particular emphasis on hip and back.

This is about as comprehensive of a pre-workout warmup/stretch routine as you could hope for, with video of course. I don't do everything in the video, but I did it and then took out the stuff I thought I didn't need. It is great for giving ideas for good warm-up moves.

Joe Chemo's posts are short and sweet...
Joe Chemo wrote: »
Hey guys I came across a mobility focused site. For those who are interested:

http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/
Joe Chemo wrote: »

Also, it seems we have the creatine discussion a lot. So I'm preserving the last exchange, mainly for Wook's excellent post:
Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about Creatine.

My question will be twofold. So - is creatine a supplement I can use while trying to lose bodyfat? I understand that it's used to gain that 'extra pump' and assist in the building of lean muscle mass, but would I be better served losing the BF first and then moving onto bulking?

And secondly, is there a preference when it comes to the type of Creatine? Is it worth going for something like BSN NO-Xplode with all it's additions and 'Concentrated performance igniter!' or just sticking with something simple, like ON's Micronized Creatine Powder.?

the wook wrote: »
Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about Creatine.

My question will be twofold. So - is creatine a supplement I can use while trying to lose bodyfat? I understand that it's used to gain that 'extra pump' and assist in the building of lean muscle mass, but would I be better served losing the BF first and then moving onto bulking?

And secondly, is there a preference when it comes to the type of Creatine? Is it worth going for something like BSN NO-Xplode with all it's additions and 'Concentrated performance igniter!' or just sticking with something simple, like ON's Micronized Creatine Powder.?

Creatine isn't a 'weight gain' or 'weight loss' supplement. Creatine acts as a phosphate donor to help quickly replenish ATP in muscle cells.

From the beginning: Muscle fibers are composed of two types of protein chains: actin and myosin chains. actin chains are bound to the superstructure of the muscle, while myosin chains are bound between actin chains. muscle flexion occurs when the globular heads on the myosin chains release the actin chain and then rebind to it closer to the end of the sarcomere. the net effect is like thousands of little hands pulling the two ends of the sarcomere closer together.

actin-myosin.gif

ATP, as I think we all know, is the primary currency of energy exchange inside the cell. It is derived from metabolic pathways, and is consumed in enzymatic and other reactions. One of the actions which requires ATP is the head of the myosin chain unbinding from the actin chain. Without ATP, the two chains stay bound to each other and no muscle movement is possible. This is the cause of rigor mortis.

ATP is present in abundance in every cell of the body. Usually, it never comes close to depletion because the body is very good at producing it. Under normal aerobic respiration, the body can produce around 30 ATP molecules from one molecule of glucose. However, the body is significantly less efficient at producing ATP which oxygen is not present; in these situations, one molecule of glucose only leads to two molecules of ATP. Consequently, in situations such as heavy weightlifting, the demand for ATP grossly outstrips the capacity of the cells to produce it, and depletion can occur.

The creatine system is a system which exists naturally in the body, and exists specifically to maintain ATP levels in muscles ungergoing anaerobic respiration. Creatine can exist in phosphorylated and unphosphorylated states within the muscle cells, though the body always strives to maintain 100% phosphorylation. When ATP levels drop, phospho-creatine can donate its phospho group to an ADP molecule to reform ATP. However, just like with the production of ATP itself, the phosphorylation of creatine by creatine kinase is a rate-limiting step.

Creatine supplementation is an effort to maintain ATP levels in type II muscle cells (the strong ones capable of undergoing anaerobic respiration) so that an extra few reps can be squeezed out of a set. By having a larger initial stock of phosphocreatine, high levels of ATP can be maintained for a few seconds more.

Creatine, therefore, is not a particularly useful supplement if you're not lifting heavy and to failure on a regular basis. However, it is not specifically a 'weight gain' or 'weight loss' supplement. It's a 'work harder' supplement.
psyck0 wrote: »
I am still skeptical of creatine. Everyone in weightlifting swears that it works anecdotally and says there are studies supporting it. Everyone in biochemistry and now in medicine says the studies are very inconclusive. I can't find much myself. Does anyone have some good ones (I'm looking for meta-analyses here, not single studies)?

METHODS: A search of MEDLINE and SPORTDiscus using the phrase "creatine supplementation" revealed 96 English-language, peer-reviewed papers (100 studies), which included randomized group formation, a placebo control, and human subjects who were blinded to treatments. ES was calculated for each body composition and performance variable.

RESULTS: Small, but significant (ES > 0, p < or = .05) ES were reported for BC (n=163, mean +/- SE=0.17 +/- 0.03), ATP-PCr (n=17, 0.24 +/- 0.02), G (n=135, 0.19 +/- 0.05), and O (n=69, 0.20 +/- 0.07). ES was greater for change in BC following a loading-only CS regimen (0.26 +/- 0.03, p=.0003) compared to a maintenance regimen (0.04 +/- 0.05), for repetitive-bout (0.25 +/- 0.03,p=.028) compared to single-bout (0.18 +/- 0.02) exercise, and for upper-body exercise (0.42 +/- 0.07, p<.0001) compared to lower (0.21 +/- 0.02) and total body (0.13 +/- 0.04) exercise. ES for laboratory-based tasks (e.g., isometric/isotonic/isokinetic exercise, 0.25 +/- 0.02) were greater (p=.014) than those observed for field-based tasks (e.g., running, swimming, 0.14 +/- 0.04). There were no differences in BC or performance ES between males and females or between trained and untrained subjects.

CONCLUSION: ES was greater for changes in lean body mass following short-term CS, repetitive-bout laboratory-based exercise tasks < or = 30 s (e.g., isometric, isokinetic, and isotonic resistance exercise), and upper-body exercise. CS does not appear to be effective in improving running and swimming performance. There is no evidence in the literature of an effect of gender or training status on ES following CS.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12945830

RDM's sweet new cage:
God dammit, I finally sit down and go about getting some pictures together and my friggen ISP decides that it's going to break and not allow me to host any pictures. Pictures of my brand new half rack. That I have. In my basement. More to follow.

EDIT

Alright so after about a year of fence sitting like a bitch and doing other things that are apparently important (renovations) I finally picked up a good half rack. I'd bought a used bench last spring along with plenty of iron and an olympic bar, which I still haven't put together because of current space constraints but it's amazing how much time you dedicate towards something when you spend some good coin on it. Anyway, without further ado, my current basement looks pretty rad if I do say so myself.

The box, alongside the box is a cat. His name is Lenny and he was no help putting this thing together, the layabout.
image001-0.jpg

For those of you interested, this is what I picked up.
image002-0.jpg

Despite being very methodical, I have already made a mistake, see if you can spot where I was dumb.
image004-0.jpg

Mistake fixed, I continue with assembly, humbled.
image005-0.jpg

image006-0.jpg

Just enough clearance for pullups, just...
image007-0.jpg

You can see a piece of the as yet not assembled bench in the background off to the right.
image008-0.jpg

Not going to lie, pretty jacked about this.
image009-0.jpg
image010-0.jpg

And there you have it, next project: Lifting platform!

To be continued...

Big L squatted 405 for 3x5. I was impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVfhWbBLh0k

And the highlight of the thread (so says me as we're on page 99)...

Benni pulling 1015 in just a belt for a new deadlift world record:

(from three different angles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4jO21-a2W0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26yqOMsxQho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M13EBl_jF0

TheRealBadger on

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That is a badass image. Who is it, Ahnold?

There's a comp in Feb that I'm probably going to do. There was supposed to be one this fall but it was cancelled.

E: a quick google says it is in fact Franco Columbu

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yep, Franco. I like that image - roughly 310kg, no belt.

I used to have it set to flash up on my phone whenever my alarm for deadlift day went off.

Squat day was Captain Kirk:

2zrhmra.jpg

Press day was Pudz:

nz3wo3.jpg

Bench day was a stock image from tnation that I quite liked:

aljj40.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing you compete Psyck. You should be pretty close to that 500lb dead by February

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    ieyeasuieyeasu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anaerobic exercise is a thing I kind of want to get into

But all those machines and weights and incredibly muscular dudes next to them are incredibly intimidating. So I guess I'll just read this thread instead.

ieyeasu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    We have a slogan for that exact situation.

Ain't nothin' to it but to do it.

Seriously, everyone was a beginner at some point. It doesn't take long to learn the basics and it is a very satisfying hobby.

Also, you will pick up some really great slogans along the way.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    ieyeasuieyeasu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We have a slogan for that exact situation.

Ain't nothin' to it but to do it.

Seriously, everyone was a beginner at some point. It doesn't take long to learn the basics and it is a very satisfying hobby.

Also, you will pick up some really great slogans along the way.

:O!

A man can always use more slogans

ieyeasu on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    HakiHaki Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Indeed! I asked for advice here like ten thousand years ago when I was 240 lbs of fatness, and now I'm 240 lbs of fatness and strongness, but I lost like twelve pants sizes and now also love powerlifting.

You really should just go do the lifting for a while, most of those crazy strong dudes are incredibly nice, and powerlifting meets are the best things ever.

Haki on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Whoa, Haki, 12 sizes? That is great! I have to be honest, I don't even remember you posting here, but good for you!

I should be PAST that 500 lb deadlift by Christmas. My predicted max is 514. I'm going to test it in 2 weeks, once exams are done.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HakiHaki Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tohoho, slight exaggeration on the timing I suppose on the pant sizery, although when I started to lose weight initially I was ~340 lbs or so, so my pants from the long, long ago are size 48 parachutes. You also probably don't remember me because I posted like twice and then went back to lurking, but I've decided to make with the posting more often now on a whim. Also because I'm here all the time anyways.

Super hell yeahs on the 500 deadlift. I'm trying to raise my squat up a bunch at the moment, but I'm struggling at the bottom a lot right now. I'm having a hard time breaking into the 400s with anything past a double. Hoping to push through it and make it to mid 400s by April for a local meet though.

Haki on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Deadlift day may be cancelled this week i think. Our cricket ground has been having drainage problems lately so they dumped a bunch of sand on the outfield. I didn't realise this and slid down onto my shin when stopping a ball. Now i am missing most of the skin from my leg and am leaking about a cup of plasma per hour.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I love those interlocking plates you posted in that one pic Badger.

I can't wait till I'm at a healthy weight so I can actually focus on strength training and lifting big and not on maintaining the strength I have. I mean I still do protein shakes after working out and all that, but I can't eat big, gotta drop the pounds.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I love those interlocking plates you posted in that one pic Badger.

I can't wait till I'm at a healthy weight so I can actually focus on strength training and lifting big and not on maintaining the strength I have. I mean I still do protein shakes after working out and all that, but I can't eat big, gotta drop the pounds.

I know, they're neat right? My gym has rubber coated plates that interlock similarly. Unfortunately the fancy plates have to sit over with the leg press and the old, ugly chipped plates sit with the squat rack. This is apparently a rule.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Let the bigman-ification continue!

Currently squatting 105lbsx3x10 like a sissy girl but I'm sure it would be alot higher if I didn't have to clean & press the darn EZ-bar every time I wanna squat. Also, I'm raising it like 10lbs per week..just gotta get used to getting that thang up in tha urr.

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    There's always Zercher squats.

(full disclosure though, I have never done a Zercher squat in my life and have no idea whether they're worthwhile. However, it may solve your equipment problem for a little while).

Alternatively, you could always just change gyms.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2010
    You could take that as an opportunity to do Olympic-style lifting and do snatches and overhead squats, although your gym may frown on that.

EDIT - Speaking of Franco, I've always loved this picture:

francomakinitlookeasy.jpg

He's just all, yeah, whatever. It's some weight.

A duck! on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, the past couple of weeks have not been good. Been spending most of my time helping my girlfriend get around after her ACL repair.

Now that we're getting towards the end of the year, it's time for me to get my competition goals figured out:

Compete in the 200lb weight-class strongman group next year (that's down 35 pounds).
    Deadlift > 500 lbs
    Push Press > 300 lbs
    Farmers Carry: 200 lbs x 50 yards
    Iron cross with 45 lb plates for 45 seconds
    Front Squat > 300 lbs

If you don't have access to a decent bar, I'd do more dumbell squats and deadlifts.
    Goblet Squats
    Split Squats
    Step-ups work pretty good also.

And Zerchers hurt. Seriously, they suck.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I second split squats, they're pretty baller. It's what I did before I had access to proper squat racks.

Depending on whether my little girl cooperates, my goals for this last month of the year are to squat 225 for 3x5 and smash my bench PRs to crap. I did 145 3x5 yesterday and it was pretty ok, I have high hopes going forward.

Also Franco Columbu was a fucking monster and since he was a bunch shorter than me and still ridiculous he's one of my role models.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Haki wrote: »
    Tohoho, slight exaggeration on the timing I suppose on the pant sizery, although when I started to lose weight initially I was ~340 lbs or so, so my pants from the long, long ago are size 48 parachutes. You also probably don't remember me because I posted like twice and then went back to lurking, but I've decided to make with the posting more often now on a whim. Also because I'm here all the time anyways.

Super hell yeahs on the 500 deadlift. I'm trying to raise my squat up a bunch at the moment, but I'm struggling at the bottom a lot right now. I'm having a hard time breaking into the 400s with anything past a double. Hoping to push through it and make it to mid 400s by April for a local meet though.

Just keep going. I was struggling hard around the same weight, took 2 weeks off and dropped the weight from ~355 to ~335, went back and kept doing linear progression and when I could finally do ~370x3x5 I went for 405x5 and nailed it (barely, thought I was going to fail the last rep). Don't take the time off if you don't need it, but I sure did.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, the past couple of weeks have not been good. Been spending most of my time helping my girlfriend get around after her ACL repair.

Now that we're getting towards the end of the year, it's time for me to get my competition goals figured out:

Compete in the 200lb weight-class strongman group next year (that's down 35 pounds).
    Deadlift > 500 lbs
    Push Press > 300 lbs
    Farmers Carry: 200 lbs x 50 yards
    Iron cross with 45 lb plates for 45 seconds
    Front Squat > 300 lbs

If you don't have access to a decent bar, I'd do more dumbell squats and deadlifts.
    Goblet Squats
    Split Squats
    Step-ups work pretty good also.

And Zerchers hurt. Seriously, they suck.

:shock:

big l on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I saw the Iron Cross thing, and thought he'd be holding an Iron Cross with a 45lb. plate on a dip belt for 45 seconds.

Then I started to wonder if Kako was actually, like, a human-being.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yes this is what i want to see

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm just an slightly pudgy 30ish year old guy who's been lifting on and off for 20-odd years. I go through phases where I'm in better shape than others. Right now, I'm kicking off one of the more "in-shape" phases.

I can do 60 seconds with 25 lb plates on the iron cross. It's pretty much an exercise in pain management.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I saw the Iron Cross thing, and thought he'd be holding an Iron Cross with a 45lb. plate on a dip belt for 45 seconds.

Then I started to wonder if Kako was actually, like, a human-being.

Hes more of a government experiment than a human now. Still cool as hell though so keep on doin whatcha doin Kako.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    JordanthehuttJordanthehutt Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey bigman thread, I'm getting back in to lifting and I come across this question:

In high school I was taught that more reps with less weight would result in a leaner look, while more weight less reps builds bulk. Is this correct?

Jordanthehutt on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

In high school I was taught that more reps with less weight would result in a leaner look, while more weight less reps builds bulk. Is this correct?

High weight, low reps plus high rest = mostly neurological adaptation and not as much muscular growth. You get stronger through a better nervous system via more motor units being recruited and better rate coding.

High weight, low reps plus low rest = typically yield myofibrilar hypertrophy, where it is the density of the muscle fibers that increases.

moderate weight, high reps and low rest = typically yields a combination of myfibrilar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy where the fiber changes in density but also increases in fluid retention resulting in bigger muscles but not necessarily as much strength.

Thats over simplified and not necessarily a rule, but it is my experience.

Also- you cant gain bulk without the calories for it. I try telling my female athletes this every year but they all think that by simply lifting a weight they will turn into a monster. You can't grow without also TRYING to grow via increased food.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2010
    Just out of curiosity, what is considered high rest and low rest? Usually for high reps I keep rest periods at or below a minute, but I'm not sure for strength training. I've been doing around two minute rests between sets, but I'm not sure if that's too long.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Anywhere from 90 seconds to 3 minutes is enough time for all your ATP stores to be replenished. Lower than 60 seconds rest is considered short rest.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You should know how long is long enough when you go heavy. I agree that high reps is harder to tell.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'll also post the chart that is more scientifically proven, although there is certainly wiggle room and is more variable than listed. It is however a good starting guide for developing what you want.
    template.jpg

Jyardana on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah so, my back is still bugging me.

I'm down ~15 pounds since I quite lifting a month ago. Pretty decent weight loss for my first time ever actively trying to lose weight. I have abs again, but I'm sick of eating lean protein all day, erryday.

Though, admittedly, a decent amount of that would have been shed water weight.

I sure hope my back stops hurting soon so I can get back to lifting! You hear me, Santa?!

adytum on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So does anyone in this thread use kettlebells? I love the shit out of them and I was wondering if anyone had any awesome workouts for them.

I just got this: http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Challenge-Instructional-Starring-Exercises/dp/B0014J5LN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1291068959&sr=8-1 and I plan on using it once I've got all the moves down. I know most of them, but refining your technique is never a bad thing.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    PowerBlock makes a KettleBlock that goes up to 55 pounds. I really want it.

KettleBlock-40-on-stand-CU-WEB.jpg

adytum on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Except it is so funky shaped, you can't do unique kettlebell stuff with it. I wouldn't want to do a kettlebell snatch or clean with that, the round shape of the real thing cushions the impact so you don't hurt your wrist. If all you are going to do with it is swings, sure, it is fine, but then why not use a dumbbell?

big l on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Except it is so funky shaped, you can't do unique kettlebell stuff with it. I wouldn't want to do a kettlebell snatch or clean with that, the round shape of the real thing cushions the impact so you don't hurt your wrist. If all you are going to do with it is swings, sure, it is fine, but then why not use a dumbbell?

They're one step ahead of you.

KB-wrist-guard-snap-on-CU200w.jpg

Though I'm willing to accept it's not equivalent. However, their dumbbells are fantastic.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If you're doing kettleballs, Pavel's stuff is always a good place to start.

And everyone should learn how to do a tgu with em.

Kettleball Turkish Getup

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah. Turkish Getups are awesome. Tiring and awesome.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    One time I did Turkish Get-ups with a 50# DB, max reps in 10 minutes. One of the stupider things I have done in the gym.

big l on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Didn't someone here almost drop a DB on their face doing getups?

adytum on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    But is it as stupid as this?

Swiss ball stupidity

The bar has been set so very high for stupid gym exercises.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Speaking of dumb, you'll have to fast forward a few min but this is just dumb as all hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb9WGI4Bkdo

Jyardana on
This discussion has been closed.