As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad Company 2: BC2 night every Thursday

• TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone else have the problem of the server not showing up as available in your favorites?

TwistedJester on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We should start playing this game right now.

That_Guy on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Why the fuck is this game still €50 on Steam? I want to buy it as a gift for my friend, but that's ridiculous. Isn't it only like $20 in the US?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Whoa. Yeah, it's only $20. Find someone to gift it to you.

goggles on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, find some American guy and have him buy it for you. This is what I do now when games have ridiculous euro prices

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I am sure you can find a kind US PA mans to buy it and gift it.

Angry Weasel on
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The new audio cues for when you're the last one on your squad alive are pretty useful.

Also, crashing issues and lock-ups disappeared after reverifying the game cache in Steam. Just in case it's acting up for anyone else.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They've always been there, but they just rarely say it. (The audio cues)

Satsumomo on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Really? I've never heard it until recently.

SJ on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hear it all the time now and never heard it before.

hailthefish on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They most probably made it so they say it every time, but I'm 100% positive I had heard before months ago, before the patch that made us all come back.

Satsumomo on
  • SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Those audio cues have been there since beta.

Also-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK271SIefAQ

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fuckin' Christ, really? Creedence on the main menu?

God that's so fuckin' hokey

Not that I mind all that much, since that song rules, but come on

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

You are dead to me, Olivaw. This is the best thing ever.

Warcry on
    edited December 2010
    Warcry wrote: »

You are dead to me, Olivaw. This is the best thing ever.

No it's the most obvious thing ever

"hey we have a thing set in Vietnam what do we do I KNOW SLAP A CREEDENCE SONG ON THAT SHIT HURRRRRRR"

Just hope that this game doesn't make me sick of Creedence

I'd hate to get to that point in my life

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I agree.

I was kind of hoping they'd use the remix of White Rabbit from the original BF:Vietnam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obBpa4il2vs

TwistedJester on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Speaking of smoke grenades, I usually pick it more with Assault than the other launcher options. Being able to instantly disrupt an enemy position or give myself a big corridor of cover almost always outweigh the minor benefit of killing maybe one target with a 40mm grenade. Smoke grenades make Harvest Day a lot better for the attacking team because then they can assault much more easily.

But even with PA players, I normally don't see many people sporting smoke grenades. Seems like people would rather try to take the long way around and then still end up getting shredded on Harvest Day. A couple people sporting smoke grenades could make a flat-out assault right across the fields of Harvest Day completely doable.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited December 2010
    Of course all you need to counter that is one dude in the helicopter mashing Q and then all anyone has to do is shoot at the red triangles, because Harvest Day has no cover at all between points

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Mashing Q doesn't work.

Sometimes I wish it did when my team is being a bunch of fuckwits and not taking the tremendous effort of pressing Q while scoped over people in order to put BIG FUCKING GLOWING ORANGE ARROWS OVER THE ENEMY'S HEADS because they're fucking... I don't know. Most never say why they don't. They're just really fucking stupid, I guess.

And many of these people are level 50, so they don't have being new to the game as an excuse.

</just finished a shitty run of games where nobody spotted>

Suriko on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does Harvest Day even have helicopters for Rush?

EDIT: I've got spotting mapped to middle mouse button so I very, very nearly can do it as quickly as shooting. In fact, I almost always mark my targets right as a I shoot them just in case.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited December 2010
    I still haven't actually worked out the mechanics of spotting

Like, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and sometimes I think it's distance related and sometimes I think it's a timing thing and sometimes it's accuracy and I don't fucking know

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited December 2010
    I spot every time I see someone that hasn't been spotted. If I'm lining up someone I'll tap Q before firing. If I die, the team can get him, if I snick him somebody else can finish him off, and if he dives behind cover I can see where he's going. It really is tremendously useful, even on a personal level without the team being taken into consideration.

As far as mechanics go, I think the main problem spotting has is rogue geometry sometimes just managing to throw it off. Distance doesn't really seem to be a factor in and of itself, but the more distance, the more likelyhood there's going to be something in the way (visible or invisible as it may be). There's also a timer inbetween unsuccessful spots to prevent people just mashing over the battlefield to light up heaps of dudes.

Suriko on
    edited December 2010
    Spotting has a cooldown, so I think that's what's throwing you off. If you spam it, you aren't going to spot anything because you'll waste the "spot" on an empty field and then it won't be ready when you're actually pointing at somebody. The cooldown is short, but it's definitely there. Chances are that you're almost looking at someone, hit the spot button, it misses, you correct, hit spot again, but now nothing happens because of the cooldown and the guy gets away. Even when you do spot things successfully, you still have to wait a bit to do it again.

It's meant so that people can't just spot infinitely and tag people through trees and smoke and crap like that. Think of it as shooting a guy with invisible mind bullets; if he's in the middle of the crosshairs on your screen, spotting him will tag him. If not, you can miss and have to wait to try again.

Distance actually is a factor, but the distance involved has to HUGE. The only time I've ever not been able to spot due to distance is against distant choppers on Heavy Metal that are just within draw distance. But those are something like a full kilometer off and I don't think any of the other maps will present that problem. You can't even see soldiers at that distance so it won't affect you with them.

Regardless, hit the spot button constantly. Even if you miss half the time, you hit the other half of the time and it's still definitely contributing to the team effort.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just had a game where I had the UAV and mashing q didn't help me spot anyone, it was one of those new maps based off of the first real level. It was a beast to spot because at the Second set of targets, when I spot them, they would take their sweet time going around the buildings, any that were close by my team picked them off before anyone could shoot.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited December 2010
    I don't know about mashing spot, but I use it whenever I have somebody more or less in my sights and never have a problem at all. I've spotted dozens of people from a single UAV and only missed people because of my own aim or the cooldown.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, spotting in the UAV, or in any air vehicle, is kind of a bullshit affair for me

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    IIRC spotting only has a cooldown if you hit the button and don't actually 'tag' something with the symbol. I can mash Q all day erry day as long as every time I do there's a bad guy in the middle of my crosshairs.

SJ on
    edited December 2010
    God Jesus fucking Christ

This game is the worst game in the entire world when you're playing against some asshole who is way too good and is smug about it

Fucking fuck

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    God Jesus fucking Christ

This game is the worst game in the entire world when you're playing against some asshole who is way too good and is smug about it

Fucking fuck

Just suck it up.

Warcry on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    God Jesus fucking Christ

Fucking fuck

If you can't beat 'em, try your damndest to cause them as much grief as you can. CG it up, suicide c4 rush, spam grenades, etc.

Failing that, you can always just leave the server. If you aren't having any fun, what's the point in continuing to play?

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wow, heavy metal can be chock full of anal rape with a decent helicopter pilot. Only thing that brought him down were the Heat missiles and the UAV flown by someone (me) with the alternate weapon package.

Edit: Anyone else get into the bad habit of hopping back into one more game when they see that they are one kill away from getting a star for their weapon?

RoyceSraphim on
    edited December 2010
    I always check BFBCS.com to see what star I'm getting next, before I play. I've reached platinum with the M95.

Warcry on
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Heavy Metal was a pretty fun map. But now, since I've played more of it, it's actually been pretty frustrating to play it. The large open fields are pretty much choke points, Especially between B and A or C. Unless you've got a tank you're probably not going to make it half way across that field. The regular vehicles are pretty worthless, since there's usually an enemy aircraft up and about, or there's a tank sitting right behind the hill. Their machine guns are pretty useless and they also can't roadkill worth a damn. I wish they had given us the vehicles that are used on atacama desert.

Sigtyr on
  • trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I always check BFBCS.com to see what star I'm getting next, before I play.

I'm just starting to work on gold stars for all main weapons (not counting AR attachments), so I check which weapon is the next on the list each evening.

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You'd be surprised at a engineer squad's ability (Goomba and CarbonFire) to lock down a shitty tank driver (me). Just take cover close to a ridge or in the trees and rocks that dot the map's borders.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    trevellian wrote: »
    I always check BFBCS.com to see what star I'm getting next, before I play.

I'm just starting to work on gold stars for all main weapons (not counting AR attachments), so I check which weapon is the next on the list each evening.

I'm the same way. Lets me know what to focus on for the night.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That site has never worked for me until today......

162h 12m 59s

Wow that probably the most I have ever played of one game this whole decade. And I am only level 35.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    That site has never worked for me until today......

162h 12m 59s

Wow that probably the most I have ever played of one game this whole decade. And I am only level 35.

All of my accounts...this should be interesting.

Das Ubermensch
    29h 52m 51s

>Warcry<
    283h 19m 28s

=Warcry=
    336h 05m 26s

...In my defense, I've been unemployed for a good part of this year. :I

Warcry on
  • JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Holy crap that's a lot of hours!

Jamesways on