As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RMA'd 8800 GT replaced w/GTS 250, good or bad?

IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
My eVGA GeForce 8800 died but had a lifetime warranty. I knew I wouldn't get another 8800 GT now, so I expected something different, but at least as good. Problem is, I can't make heads or tails of comparing different-level cards separated across several generations.

What I got back is a used/refurbished GTS 250. Should I expect the same or a better level or performance, or should I chalk this up as a net loss and shop for something better?

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
IceBurner on

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know which model 8800 you had - but the GTS 250 seems to outperform the 8800 GTX.

Benchmarks

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The GT is a "budget" version of the GTS and GTX, where it was pretty comparably powered. Getting a GTS 250 is a net gain for you.

edit:

I should specify, because of nVidia's retarded naming system, that the first sentence "GTS" is referring to the series modifier. In this case, it is an 8800 GTS.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    IceBurner wrote: »
    My eVGA GeForce 8800 died but had a lifetime warranty. I knew I wouldn't get another 8800 GT now, so I expected something different, but at least as good. Problem is, I can't make heads or tails of comparing different-level cards separated across several generations.

What I got back is a used/refurbished GTS 250. Should I expect the same or a better level or performance, or should I chalk this up as a net loss and shop for something better?

<3

You win!

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the GTS250 will beat out the 8800 but not by a ridiculously huge margin. It should stave off the need for an upgrade for a little while longer.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thank you for the answers, guys. This will do until I get tired of the noise.

While the 8800 GT was comparatively quiet, the cooler on the GTS 250 is as subtle as a jet-powered banshee flying low over an erupting volcano.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just bought a Gainward GTS250 1GB for AUD$79. To replace an 8600GT 512 MB.

Should be a pretty significant difference, right? Hmm, I think I might need to get a better power supply for this computer...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Should be a pretty significant difference, right? Hmm, I think I might need to get a better power supply for this computer...

It will definitely be better. The GTS 250 is an updated 9800GTX which was just an updated 8800GTS G92. The 8800GTS G92 was already a good deal better than the 8600GT.

What kind of PSU do you have?

I use this to get a general idea on what I will need:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Doesn't really cover amps and such but as long as that is decent then you should have any problems.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about video cards, but I can say that my GTS 240 1GB is running everything I throw at it (recently, Starcraft II, Black Ops, and New Vegas) in 1920x1080 with decent settings, so I imagine you're good to go for a while yet.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »

It will definitely be better. The GTS 250 is an updated 9800GTX which was just an updated 8800GTS G92. The 8800GTS G92 was already a good deal better than the 8600GT.

What kind of PSU do you have?

I use this to get a general idea on what I will need:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Doesn't really cover amps and such but as long as that is decent then you should have any problems.

Sheeeit, this thing is blazing compared to the 8600GT I had before.

And I've got it overclocked 25% across all three things (uhh... core clock, mem clock and shaders?) I can with the supplied software, without raising a sweat. Or temping above 60 Celcius in game...

In short, NOICE.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm waiting on the after christmas sales to snag a GTS 460. There's already one on TigerDirect for 100$ even with no rebates. I'm guessing it'll come down to about 75$ in January. I soooo can't wait.

But yeah, I use dual 8800GS Alpha Dogs in SLi, and I would LOVE to have one of the GTS 250's. The G88 Series was a robust card. They can still handle today's games with no major issues, but the GTS 250 is like what Macro9 said. It's an updated 9800, which is an updated 8800GTS. Many manufacturers allow you to use the 9800GTX BIOS on a 8800GTS. I took this laptop's 8700M GT to a 9800GT easily with a simple BIOS update.

TL;DR: Yeah, upgrade! Nice man!

StrifeRaZoR on
    StrifeRaZoR.png