As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Les [Chat]s des Maldoror

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    realize that wow's minimum requirements are a one-core processor on Windows XP with 1GB ram

the only way you can go wrong are intel integrated graphics

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You could always sell one of the twins on the black market in exchange for a sweet gaming laptop.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    prescriptivism is so much better than the godless nihilism of descriptivism

You are wrong to hold that opinion
    opinions can't be wrong, senj

haha who's the godless nihilist now

Senjutsu on
  • LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    realize that wow's minimum requirements are a one-core processor on Windows XP with 1GB ram

Actually, I have successfully run it on that. Not through any real content, but it runs on a toaster, as the old phrase goes.

Linden on
    edited December 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    I know Rivs but there isn't a whole lot of in between with lappies

look at what I linked; a $400 laptop would play WoW fine, a $700 laptop will do it exceedingly well

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited December 2010
    You could always sell one of the twins on the black market in exchange for a sweet gaming laptop.

Sell both, get a sweet laptop and an xbox

Senjutsu on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

boo get off the stage!

PS: writing from the trenches of the epistemology war; the war is nearly lost--they are forcing us to do math now.

ALL HAIL BAYES AS HE LAYS SLEEPING IN HIS DREAD TOMB. KOLMOGOROV KOLMOGOROV FTANG!

MrMister on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Intel integrated graphics are basically wrong embodied in silicon form.

japan on
    edited December 2010
    Linden wrote: »

Actually, I have successfully run it on that. Not through any real content, but it runs on a toaster, as the old phrase goes.

So have I! But I don't think the questioner's definition of well was 6 fps in Redshore.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

You are wrong to hold that opinion
    opinions can't be wrong, senj

He didn't say it was wrong, but rather that you were wrong to hold it.

GOGO PEDANT

MrMister on
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arivia, you are an exceptionally helpful person, and I appreciate it greatly.

Thank you.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    elendil, can you summarize your chat for me

I don't think I get it

I will let you beat me in brawl if you do

Nerdgasmic on
    edited December 2010
    most intel integrated graphics solutions are roughly on par with a 3Dfx Voodoo from 12 years ago

Senjutsu on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know why you philosophers are always on about St Paul's letters

Elendil on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Some psychologist coming up to him, looking around all jumpy, asking how much for one of the twins.

Thomamelas on
    edited December 2010
    Arivia, you are an exceptionally helpful person, and I appreciate it greatly.

Thank you.

You're welcome!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited December 2010
    japan wrote: »
    tl;dr

I used this in an email to an entire team at work the other week without thinking about it and ended up having to explain what it meant to eight people.

I suppose I should be flattered that people actually read my group emails.

If I got that at the end of one of ours I would send a congratulatory response. Keep it up.

It probably helps that most of the emails I have cause to send to multiple people are of the form "For the love of God please stop doing [something] that you lot have apparently decided is a good idea for some reason".

japan on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

I love the headline to this article, that is linked from that one. Something about it amuses me.
    If they'd subsidize the vending machine industry to modify all the coin slots to take $1 coins, everyone would use them.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I guess I just see buying a laptop for the sole purpose of running a 6 year old game "decently" as a poor decision. To me it's spending too much or not spending enough depending on your perspective.

Ludious on
    edited December 2010

:?:

MrMister on
    edited December 2010

So have I! But I don't think the questioner's definition of well was 6 fps in Redshore.

Unfamiliar with the area. I was getting ~15 in Dalaran at the time – the secret was my 13" screen, I think.

Unrelated: I feel insufficiently Christmassy. Anyone capable of making me a hat?

Linden on
    edited December 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    elendil, can you summarize your chat for me

I don't think I get it

I will let you beat me in brawl if you do
    I beat you in brawl anyway

Elendil on
    edited December 2010
    Both lack hardware T&L, for instance

the only ones worth a damn are the embedded intel solutions, which are really just rebadged powervr chips

Senjutsu on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fantasy/scifi/period piece movies need to stop including crappy modern lyrical compositions in their soundtracks.

Aroused Bull on
    edited December 2010
    only, like, half the time

and that's usually when I'm not playing Ness or Lucas

Nerdgasmic on
    edited December 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    I guess I just see buying a laptop for the sole purpose of running a 6 year old game "decently" as a poor decision. To me it's spending too much or not spending enough depending on your perspective.

you've played WoW; we're not meaning a laptop for BC content, but one that can handle Northrend/whatever the new areas are called.

Besides, WoW is all a fair number of people play. That's cool.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited December 2010

I love the headline to this article, that is linked from that one. Something about it amuses me.
    If they'd subsidize the vending machine industry to modify all the coin slots to take $1 coins, everyone would use them.

I actually just meant the sentence construction in general. I think because it uses that slightly comic form of making the sentence a few words longer than is strictly necessary. I do it with a fair degree of frequency myself.

japan on
    edited December 2010
    tl;dr

I used this in an email to an entire team at work the other week without thinking about it and ended up having to explain what it meant to eight people.

If I got that at the end of one of ours I would send a congratulatory response. Keep it up.

It probably helps that most of the emails I have cause to send to multiple people are of the form "For the love of God please stop doing [something] that you lot have apparently decided is a good idea for some reason".

As long as they aren't "I've lost my keys", I'm happy.
    People, "all staff" is not an acceptable destination for this.

Linden on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    most intel integrated graphics solutions are roughly on par with a 3Dfx Voodoo from 12 years ago

And Senj isn't talking about the graphics card company

They literally have the processing power of a doll made out of twigs and shark teeth

Nocturne on
    edited December 2010
    MrMister wrote: »

it was a play on words in which I seemingly mistake epistemology for the study of paul's epistles

Elendil on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I actually just meant the sentence construction in general. I think because it uses that slightly comic form of making the sentence a few words longer than is strictly necessary. I do it with a fair degree of frequency myself.
    I agree it's funny, I was just commenting on the article I guess.

Although a $1.1bn stockpile in coins is a recipe for a fantastic heist movie.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited December 2010
    Both lack hardware T&L, for instance

the only ones worth a damn are the embedded intel solutions, which are really just rebadged powervr chips

That guy from Epic or 3DRealms or something had a serious meltdown in the media about the crappiness of Intel graphics chips a couple of years ago.

He basically said that PC gaming is in the state it's in because of Intel, and that it was killing the industry.

japan on
    edited December 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

They literally have the processing power of a doll made out of twigs and shark teeth

most of the time the games just crash with BARON_SAMEDI_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Senjutsu on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

Pfft, I got Linux running on a doll of twigs and shark teeth.

Thomamelas on
    edited December 2010

it was a play on words in which I seemingly mistake epistemology with the study of paul's epistles

I'm surprised a guy like you doesn't beat me more often

Nerdgasmic on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Huh, Bear McCreary does the music for The Walking Dead.

Daxon on
    edited December 2010
    tl;dr

As long as they aren't "I've lost my keys", I'm happy.
    People, "all staff" is not an acceptable destination for this.

I get emails four or five times a day, sent to the division-wide mailing list (several hundred people, across five sites) that say "Has anyone seen file [reference]? It isn't in the cabinet."

This started intermittently about six months ago, and I think the general perception is that the window to crack down on it easily has been missed, so nobody bothers.

japan on
    edited December 2010

it was a play on words in which I seemingly mistake epistemology with the study of paul's epistles

ohhhhhhh.
    formal epistemology is eating my brain

MrMister on
    edited December 2010
    was not good joke

Elendil on
    edited December 2010
    it was an amazing joke

I couldn't make jokes like that if I had a million years to try

Nerdgasmic on