As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I will make your game for you

kedinikkedinik Captain of IndustryRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
I like programming and game development and I'm working on a few projects right now.

But see that doesn't matter, because I will make your game for free in my spare time and give it to you. Here's what I have in mind:

1) Post an idea for a 2D Flash game that is simple and brief.
2) If your idea is simple and brief it goes on the list of games
3) I roll a dice and select an idea completely at random.
4) When the game's done in 1-2 weeks I give it to you.

It will be your game to do with as you please and show to friends and say, "I had this idea and now it's a real thing!"

I plan to use this as a relaxing, tiny side project, hence why I'm providing my services for less than a song.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
kedinik on

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Awesome idea for a thread. I'll check back for other suggestions than my own.

Here's mine.

A top-down zombie apocalypse RPG roguelike using either squares or hexes as a board. Only 1 character, created at the beginning, and randomly generated maps. Graphical interface, none of that @ stuff. You play until you die or become a zombie. Character creation and level up options should be relatively deep to encourage replay/different strategies.

Too complex?

joshofalltrades on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Here's mine.

A top-down zombie apocalypse RPG roguelike using either squares or hexes as a board. Only 1 character, created at the beginning, and randomly generated maps. Graphical interface, none of that @ stuff. You play until you die or become a zombie. Character creation and level up options should be relatively deep to encourage replay/different strategies.

Too complex?

Well within the guidelines until the bolded.

Like, having character creation, levelling up and the like is fine but any attempt at design depth would introduce too much complexity.

Cool idea!

kedinik on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I want a game where I'm santa and have to drop presents down kids chimneys. The chimneys are of varying size, the smaller ones being worth more points.

I also want a twist ending where it turns out I'm not Santa, and the presents are really bombs.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • spafeyspafey Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A top down Zelda clone would make me happy. :) nothing specific however.

spafey on
    I ate the entire cake. At one point, I remember becoming aware of the oppressive fullness building inside of me, but I kept eating out of a combination of spite and stubbornness. No one could tell me not to eat an entire cake - not my mom, not Santa, not God - no one. I would eat cake whenever I damn well pleased. It was my cake and everyone else could go fuck themselves.
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I want a side scrolling samurai game with the ability to slash in 3 areas, the head, the torso, and the lower body, and the ability to block. Also if it isn't too much gore for body parts slashed at.

Kadoken on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is an awesome idea and you are a great guy for doing it!

I will try to think of something. In the meantime, here is a really awesome site for ideas for game projects:

http://www.squidi.net/three/index.php

Not all are simple, not all are fleshed-out, but they are interesting to browse. Maybe somebody else will twist one of those ideas into something cool for you to make.

For example, Pac Man RPG: http://www.squidi.net/three/entry.php?id=21

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kedinik wrote: »

Here's mine.

Too complex?

Well within the guidelines until the bolded.

Like, having character creation, levelling up and the like is fine but any attempt at design depth would introduce too much complexity.

Cool idea!

In that case, just a short list of feats every level up and a few points to spend on attribute scores and one feat. Theoretically this shouldn't be too bad, and I wouldn't really care if some ended up game-breaking. I'd just name that character Bruce.

joshofalltrades on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How about a game where you're a monster from a child's closet. The goal is to sneak around the room at night while avoiding/hiding from light sources that periodically appear (light kills closet monsters). Potential light sources are the child's flashlight, parent opening the door to check on the child, light from passing cars outside, etc. You devour the child when you reach the bed. Speed and remaining health add points to your score. You repeat in different homes that get progressively more difficult.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    edited December 2010
    How about a game where you're a monster from a child's closet. The goal is to sneak around the room at night while avoiding/hiding from light sources that periodically appear (light kills closet monsters). Potential light sources are the child's flashlight, parent opening the door to check on the child, light from passing cars outside, etc. You devour the child when you reach the bed. Speed and remaining health add points to your score. You repeat in different homes that get progressively more difficult.

You watched Nostalgia Critic this week, didn't you!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited December 2010
    You devour the child when you reach the bed.

:shock:
    How about a game where you're a monster

So a game about your everyday life then

:P

joshofalltrades on
    edited December 2010
    All good submissions, I'd be happy to make any of 'em.

Here's the official list of submissions that I've noticed and accepted: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tUgkbYMFJH3u6kq6tCv31gQ&hl=en#gid=0

kedinik on
  • BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok, you're a window-washer on a 60 story building on the 60th floor, washing a window! And as you're washing you spot these gangster types shoot this business type in the head, getting good looks at all of their faces. But they spot you too!

You have to get down any way you can, climbing down scaffolding, breaking windows, slinking down ledges, sliding down ropes, leaps of faith, the ability to go to any side of the building, run through the building to the other side (Like a portal). And of course mobsters can lose line of sight of you, though they'll have spotters on other buildings find you again from time to time.

It's 3D...but actually 2D since the only perspective you change is which side of the building you're climbing down. :)

Or it could be a simple and brief 10 story building. >.>

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
    edited December 2010
    Fun.

Sounds like it might be a bit too complicated, technologically, but maybe not. I'll tone things down if need be.

kedinik on
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Key junky

Your PC is a junky heading for a fix. You need to overcome a city obstacle course. The whole thing is on-rails. You dont control the PC directly but every 2 or 3 seconds a RANDOM key combination pops up that you must press or die a horrible death, sort of heavy rain like.

For example junky is running down the street, crosses a road "Q . 9 (page down)"start flashing, you as the player must press this combination or die a horrible death (hit by an approaching car).
    The next time this might be a completly different set of keys.
    Difficulty could scale from 2 random keys up to 6 different keys flashing, which would make it keyboard yoga.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Maybe not. Slightly different shading shows the different side of the building. One with the sun directly behind the camera, behind the building, to the left of the building and to the right. Press down once to crouch, again to hang, again to drop. Up lets you jump and hang -> pull up to crouch-> stand. Spacebar to *smack* in the direction you're facing. Guys also climbing down the building make you hurry while you avoid walking infront of the guys inside and by the windows.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    top down zelda

now you can take what liberties you need but know it has to be at least 3 levels worth

yeah i said levels, i want this like NES Zelda

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited December 2010
    Game mechanics are less worrisome than smoothly transitioning in 3D when you change sides.

Although the latest version of Flash natively supports the 3D rotation of 2D objects, so that's why I think it might still be reasonable.

kedinik on
    edited December 2010
    Game mechanics are less worrisome than smoothly transitioning in 3D when you change sides.

Although the latest version of Flash supports the 3D rotation of 2D objects, so that's why I think it might still be reasonable.

I thought that more that you just kinda cut to the next side of the building as you slink around, and it has different textures with shading to show the position of the sun to differentiate the sides of the building. Actually no 3D should be required.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

You watched Nostalgia Critic this week, didn't you!

Actually, no.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A Contraesque brawler (death in 1 hit but you have a long reach sword) set in space, but involes various medieval things like Space Knights, Space Samurais, Space Nords and Space Ninjas. You play as a pissed off Space Serf and your daughter was stolen, along with your Space Cattle.

edit- added more Space.

And he should spout bitchin 1 liners. About space.

Let's sprinkle in some space Nazis too, and bosses of course.

SkutSkut on
    edited December 2010
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »

Although the latest version of Flash supports the 3D rotation of 2D objects, so that's why I think it might still be reasonable.

I thought that more that you just kinda cut to the next side of the building as you slink around, and it has different textures with shading to show the position of the sun to differentiate the sides of the building. Actually no 3D should be required.

Yeah, I'd prefer to implement 3D transitions if possible. Would be a nice touch.

kedinik on
    edited December 2010
    Well I might as well throw one of my ideas in - it's possibly too complicated, but might be able to be simplified.

For a while now I've wanted to play a Metal Gear-esque stealth game set in a Dilbert-like office environment, with the primary goal being to perform sneaky acts of espionage and sabotage to work your way up to being CEO.

You could take just that and run with it.

Specifically, it would be fun if it was a sandbox sort of game, and you could cause general office mayhem by doing things like sneaking into people's cubicles, stealing their stapler, and leaving it at someone else's desk. The janitor is somewhat deranged and is willing to work with you, providing office supplies to form makeshift weapons and letting you stay in the building after hours (where you have to avoid security guards). Mundane office activities like working at your desk or speaking to the boss/gossipy lady/really boring coworker would drain your health and resolve; therefore you have to avoid being seen by them as you sneak around. Maybe you could get into the vent ducts from the bathroom and spy on meetings.

A simpler version might just implement a level structure. Level 1: Get Broubaker fired and take his job. Broubaker always schmoozes the boss by bringing him his coffee, so slip some Ex-Lax into it while it's still in the break room and he'll be blamed for it and booted out. That sort of thing.

UncleSporky on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd like the following game:

You are a "Dream Monster" (kinda like Freddy Krueger) that feeds of people's nightmares. You invade their dreams and enter objects in the dreams to scare them. When you scare them, a "fright meter" increases. Once it is full,their dream turns into a full on nightmare and you can eat them to move to the next level.
    While you are in their dream state,you constantly lose health. You can only stop losing health by possessing items,but once an item was possessed it is destroyed and you can't seek refuge anymore. You gain a little health back when successfully scaring the dreamer.
    The whole game is about strategically moving from item to item without dying while also scaring the dreamer to fill the meter. The further you get into the game,the less items there are and dreamers will start running around more.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I Would like a game which shows you a platformgame, but you dont controll the action. Its just a guy (lets call him jumpman) walking from left to right.

Below this screen there are 5 tiny screens showing bits of the level. Its your job to piece these levels to the right of the existing screen. Whenever you place a tile a new tile pops into that open space.

You can slide them up or down, allowing for more paths on one tile: and if you do this on the tile jumpman is walking on he jumps or ducks. Some tiles have enemies, pitfalls to avoid and items to collect.
    You must get a given amount of points to get the endtile, but when you amount more points, jumpman starts to get confident and walks faster. Hitting enemies will hurt your score, kill you or destroy one of the 5 tiny screens, making it harder to create a new path for him.

Games over when Jumpman runs or falls out of the screen.

New levels could have harder tiles, other graphics or even bossbattles!

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
    edited December 2010
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »

Yeah, I'd prefer to implement 3D transitions if possible. Would be a nice touch.

:^:

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Klyka wrote: »

You are a "Dream Monster" (kinda like Freddy Krueger) that feeds of people's nightmares. You invade their dreams and enter objects in the dreams to scare them. When you scare them, a "fright meter" increases. Once it is full,their dream turns into a full on nightmare and you can eat them to move to the next level.
    While you are in their dream state,you constantly lose health. You can only stop losing health by possessing items,but once an item was possessed it is destroyed and you can't seek refuge anymore. You gain a little health back when successfully scaring the dreamer.
    The whole game is about strategically moving from item to item without dying while also scaring the dreamer to fill the meter. The further you get into the game,the less items there are and dreamers will start running around more.

This game pretty much already exists.

haunting-starring-polterguy-cover-thumb.jpg

Gameplay

I mean they run out of the house instead of getting eaten, but still pretty much the same concept.

joshofalltrades on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Klyka wrote: »

This game pretty much already exists.

haunting-starring-polterguy-cover-thumb.jpg

Gameplay

I mean they run out of the house instead of getting eaten, but still pretty much the same concept.

That game is EXACTLY what I was remembering :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A game where you place all the little enemy guys, but control the bosses for each level. The 'good guy' has predictable behavior (jumping/shooting) and random power-ups (like Contra).

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Stealth game

Black slaves running to freedom
    A commando's knock off made with Atari 2600 aesthetics.
    Rambling design
    Commandos esq

Switch control between a different slave

Field slaves each can carry one tool to break down wilderness and survive (maybe fight)

House slaves carry carry pepper for dogs

Evade and escape till you reach the north.

Each level means more slaves running at a time until you have 20 people running for freedom and you are trying to evade horseback teams trying to catch you.

I'm picturing mazes of grown complexity with barriers that field slaves break down with an axe or something.

Every so often you have a dog follow your trail until it catches you. Throwing down pepper will make the dog leave the maze. I mean, the dog will wander the maze and when it catches up to your trail it follows it to you.

Horseback teams mean game over....so make the maze blocked to your character and field slaves cut paths through to freedom.

North Means top of the map, time limit is the sun rising to the top of the game. Keep it simple with squares. Atarii like

Blue background

Brown lines equal barriers, trees. Lots of paths that don't lead anywhere because you are cutting your way through.

Black is field slave

White is house slave

Yellow rectangle is dog

Red rectangle is horseman horseman wanders back and forth across map in a lazy patrol but mean instant game over.

Dogs wander up and down paths until they find your path and chase you down.

small red dots to show your path.

House slaves and pepper remove dogs.

space switches between slaves

z button uses tool or drops pepper.

black dots for pepper

Pepper recharges or only 3 uses

RoyceSraphim on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    An 8-bit or perhaps 16-bit side-scrolling action game wherein a turtle named Kame must rescue a crane (the bird, not the machine) named Tsuru from the evil Dr OldManBaby. The more ridiculous, the better. Enemies would be Dr. Oldmanbaby's evil experiments and range from bear-dinosaur hybrids to vampire owls to demon-possessed peaches. Kame should gain increasingly absurd powers as the game progresses, from head-exploding ninja magic to Cyclops-esque uncontrollable laser vision, and perhaps even the ability to summon unicorns to stampede the area.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    An 8-bit or perhaps 16-bit side-scrolling action game wherein a turtle named Kame must rescue a crane (the bird, not the machine) named Tsuru from the evil Dr OldManBaby. The more ridiculous, the better. Enemies would be Dr. Oldmanbaby's evil experiments and range from bear-dinosaur hybrids to vampire owls to demon-possessed peaches. Kame should gain increasingly absurd powers as the game progresses, from head-exploding ninja magic to Cyclops-esque uncontrollable laser vision, and perhaps even the ability to summon unicorns to stampede the area.

The crane should be a rooster.

I like the way you think though.

Malkor on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I want to drive my car on my tv.

Apothe0sis on
    edited December 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Ho... hold on now. Let's not get crazy here!

Malkor on
    edited December 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Just set your TV on the street, what's the problem here

joshofalltrades on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    excellent thread idea, I just came up with one re: Pachter on Activision denying monetizing CoD multiplayer, which I read earlier on rockpapershotgun.

the idea is an RTS game where you play a game company CEO who in each level is given an increasingly beloved game franchise which you must run into the ground in an effort to appease your shareholder masters. Each franchise has an installed base of die-hard fans who will buy it no matter what, but that dwindles away as you cut features and rush development which in turn dwindles the return on investment in the game. So something like a loop where there are set times in which you sell the game and collect money from the gamers.

Meanwhile there's a loop running on an increasingly faster timer where shareholders take money from your stock. In the event that you don't have enough money for the shareholders it's game over.

gameplay features would include things like spending resources to extend the developer cycle long enough to include x feature, cutting the dev cycle short to make some profit at the expense of killing off even more of your install base, spending resources to purchase some of your company's stock from the shareholders (at a loss of course) to reduce their quarterly take, spending money on PR and advertising to reduce the number of fans you lose on each iteration, etc.

ideally there'd be very few things you can do to win fans over, also pretty much everything costs money, which would cause it to be a constantly losing battle.

The high score table would track how many franchise iterations it took before you ultimately rode the franchise's steaming corpse to the bone. Finally, the game ranks you in terms of real world gaming industry figures. For example, someone with a high score might be called Reggie Fils-Aime, but a person with a low score would be called Bobby Kotick.

Oh right, one more thing; Cheat codes:
    have a little text box and button combo where if you type in certain cheats you get various functions:
    iddqd = you will be ranked John Carmack, your development cycle never ends unless you end it yourself, also you take 3 to 5 year breaks to study things like the physics of light only to have your games completely devoid of any.
    DNF = you will be ranked John St John, the game starts out as normal but then your dev cycle begins very quickly to approach infinity, you are no longer allowed to end the cycle early, you last only as long as the publisher will continue to give you handouts, after the game ends another company buys the rights and releases it like 6 months later.
    lionhead = you will be ranked Peter Molyneux, PR bullshit hype machine is free, somehow people still buy your games.
    realtimeworlds = game over after first iteration. NO MATTER WHAT.
    etc

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    2d platformer, abstract and monochrome art style, somewhat inspired by mirror's edge/canabalt - momentum increases as you successfully navigate the level while accelerating, and you must leap obstacles (with a low jump arc), slide under them, bash through doors and windows, grab onto pipes/flags, etc and swing from them to land successfully, etc, all based on properly timed button presses. As you accelerate, the music should ideally become more intense, with more layers being added with more volume and intensity. Leaderboards and best times would be the end goal of course.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited December 2010
    2d assassin's creed psychic inception vampire nerd babe game

As a supremely hot vampire nerd, brains and beauty, sneak up on every girl in the class, field trip, sorority and turn them to your vampire nerd ways by using inception to make them see the light. Victory screen is a caravan of convertibles driving to comic con.

Seriously though, I would like an stealth assassination game without the killing and make women see the light of less materialism.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited December 2010
    2d assassin's creed psychic inception vampire nerd babe game

As a supremely hot vampire nerd, brains and beauty, sneak up on every girl in the class, field trip, sorority and turn them to your vampire nerd ways by using inception to make them see the light. Victory screen is a caravan of convertibles driving to comic con.

Seriously though, I would like an stealth assassination game without the killing and make women see the light of less materialism.

I'll put you down for stealth assassination game.

kedinik on
    edited December 2010
    Thnx, much as I would like Atari slaves run to freedom, I miss my stealth games.

game design:

Start off in house, museum, sorority mansion

Pick off one target and convert them. They become an asset, scouting, scaring, luring. More your infuse, the more aid you get until you have the whole house, museum, mansion

RoyceSraphim on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You're a former government spy and assassin, highly trained in infiltration, espionage and a thousand ways to kill. But you're too old for that shit, so you retire. But you get bored in retirement so you get a mundane office job and just can't seem to shake your training in relatively mundane situations.

Such as:

-Crawling steathily through the air vents. Flashlight in hand, gps map in the other. Your destination lies ahead, you can see the light of the room through the slats. You silently unscrew the vent cover and roll to a perfect predatory crouch down on to the floor. But quit screwing around, the boss sent you in through the ceiling because he locked his keys in the office.

-You've set up the room perfectly. Laser trip wires, remote cameras equipped with motion detectors, and steel bars reinforcing the doors you've set to slam shut when the sensor is tripped. You lie in wait for hours, silently, without moving. Suddenly the lights flare, a wailing siren blasts forth, and your trap slams shut. Tear gas floods the room, so you strap on your gas mask and cautiously enter, approaching your captive coughing and gagging on the floor. "That's the last time you'll steal my spaghetti sandwich, Carl."

-Seeing no sentries with your snake camera feeding the image under the door to your cell phone, you expertly pick the lock and quietly crouch your way in. The place is dark, but years of training let you adjust quickly. The dog perks up, you didn't account on him. A tranq dart to the throat quickly subdues the wary beast. You paid the copier repair guy to flirt with Carol, ensuring she wouldn't return home for another hour at least. You search the closets, the drawers, under the couch. Where were they? You know she took them. Someone was going to pay for stealing office supplies.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth