As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santaxtravaganza Thread II! Get to stalking!

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    CHEER RECEIVED! I have just spent 15 minutes looking for the Avatar of my Santa - because I KNOW I RECOGNIZE IT! - but I cant find it and am too excited, so Santa, SHOW YOURSELF SO WE MAY ALL COMMENT ON YOUR AWESOMENESS!

I had a rough day, and was expecting some packages, so when a knock came at my door, I thought nothing of it. I brought 3 boxes inside, but one of them seemed strange. It wasn't a gift for family...it was a gift for...me?

Lets have Linus investigate.
    5247718948_aaabfb16cb_z.jpg

With great care I slowly opened the box. And what should appear but...another box. Hooray for an Earth conscious Santa! Recycle!
    5247718480_10a97f8a7f_z.jpg

I opened that box, and went into a fog of Christmas cheer. Candy was EVERYWHERE! I really wish I took a picture of the awesome packing, but I was so excited and overwhelmed I just started looking at everything. Candy I had never heard of! CHRISTMAS TAFFY! I never knew such a thing existed!

And, in a move that could almost be SCARY ACCURATE STALKING - a container of those Goetze's Caramels. I used to be a lifeguard, and we had a vending machine, and I would beat that thing to HELL to get those to fall out. The candy always reminds me of how happy those summers were, and how much I miss my co-workers from then, and I havent had it in forever. It was a very, very pleasant surprise. Once I calmed down I took a photo of all the awesome candy together.
    5247717794_031c9ffefd_z.jpg

Well, thats it for the candy! No more candy here. Just this baseball bat...

wait a minute. ITS THE WORLDS BIGGEST CANDY CANE EVER.
    5247716828_769977abb2_z.jpg

Seriously this thing is crazy. I plan on attacking it ON CHRISTMAS. Its the only way.

As I dug deeper into the box, an AWESOME surprise! I had received a message earlier from Proxy asking if I liked Mech games, and I gave an honest answer - I always have WANTED to, but never have. I listed off problems I had with stuff from MechAssault (which I never put much time into) and Virtual On which seemed to confusing. But what do I find before me now? The first - TRUE - mech game I've ever had! Front Mission Evolved!
    5247113139_9477e75d47_z.jpg

Santa was kind enough to explain in his note that he included a gift receipt, just incase, but that will NOT be necessary. As I said to Proxy the Elf - Mech games have always appealed to me, but Ive just never grasped any of them. Reading over the manual, and the box, and your note - this game looks amazing. Customization was never a part of any of the mech games I tried, and this looks just flat out crazy. I can not wait to get to building the ultimate robot. Already installed it to the hard drive, and with my girlfriend out of town this weekend, it's time to blow stuff up.

Finally - I found the nicest gift yet. Stalking had uncovered a YouTube video of my cat eating Cheetos, and Santa put a smile on my face when I found this:
    5247713846_9d13c567d4_z.jpg

A cat toy, and a small bag of Cheetos for my little buddy. It was such a thoughtful surprise, and really showed me how awesome this community is. Its one thing to send someone things that they'll love, it's another to actually think about a total stranger's life and do something to genuinely bring him something meaningful.

Here is the letter - I'll transcribe it later:
    5247714326_1f947ab445_z.jpg

So as I looked over the delicious candy and waited for Front Mission to install, I felt the warm joy of Christmas cheer. And Linus played with his cat toy, and I read the letter, and laughed when Santa said "If Linus can't enjoy the Cheetos, maybe he'll like the mouse ball."

On any other day - Linus would NOT be allowed to enjoy the Cheetos.

But this is what Christmas is all about:
    5247110881_ecd3da445e_z.jpg

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ugh my very old computer has decided to shit the bed NOW, as I fix the photo links. They will work soon!

EDIT: photos should work!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Doc, I appreciate you running this and all, but the tone of the Twitter account regarding book gifts pretty much killed my entire high from all this, and it makes me feel like a tool. Thanks a lot.

Henroid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    He's teasing, man. Chill.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Doc, I appreciate you running this and all, but the tone of the Twitter account regarding book gifts pretty much killed my entire high from all this, and it makes me feel like a tool. Thanks a lot.

Well it's kind of a running joke because someone got books once and was quite unappreciative, despite being awesome gifts.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    He's teasing, man. Chill.

It's hard to tell when you've had a shitty day at work (and come home to find out someone else had an even shittier day). My bad.

Henroid on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    GIFT GET!
    I arrived home to see that I have an undelivered parcel! A packet that's too large for my letterbox! I'm hoping there's a Secret Santa gift inside! But nope, it must be misdelivered mail. There isn't a W.P.A. Forumer at this address.

1.jpg

Oh well. I trotted to the sorting office to get it anyway. It was only a small packet.

2.jpg

BUT WAIT! (1:24 to 1:30)

3.jpg

That's not a packet at all! It's a BOX! A long box! It says on the outside that it's from a mysterious place called Pennies Arcode. My invisible kitten inspects it for suspiciousness.

4.jpg

No suspicious contents, so I'm free to open it. Inside: one tube and two packets. One has a number on it. Is it the amount of seconds I have left until I die from terrorists?! My invisible cat Schrodinger doesn't think so.

5.JPG

It seems only fair to start with the tube. I'd hardly be a PA fan if I didn't.

6.JPG

I am justly rewarded. It's a subway poster of Gabe and Tycho! I'm going to find an appropriate frame for this post haste.

7.JPG

And some badass PA stickers that I didn't even know were a thing! These are going to get stuck on shit so much.

8.JPG

Time to open this packet. I tell you what, this is a classy packet. Metal clasp, no sticky tape or nuthin'. Very classy. But wait - this is the packet marked with the number of the Beast, when the Beast was a toddler. WHAT HORRORS COULD THIS PACKET CONTAIN? TERRIFYING MONSTERS FROM THE HALLS BELOW?!

9.JPG

Oh. No, it's the book, The Halls Below. It's the hardback Limited Edition, too! This is great!

10.JPG

Whoas! Not only is it signed by Gabe and Tycho (it being my personal mission to get everything I owned signed by Gabe and Tycho, currently including a boxed edition of Precipice Episode 1, a print of a comic, and my copy of Splendid Magic signed only by Jerry because Mike was apparently some sort of ninja at PAX East), but the 37 is not a countdown to my doom - it's an edition number! There's only a thousand of these, ever, and I have one of the double-digits thanks to my awesome Santa! This is not only great, it's also boss and pimp. But what's in the other packet?

11.JPG

It's PATV: Season One! I've been lamenting that I couldn't get hold of it, but never fear - my Santa just reached into my mind and grabbed my thoughts. Now I can watch the lost 4th panels and all the commentaries, and all the easter eggs of Scott's stories that I only found out about yesterday. I've watched a few of the deleted scenes already and it's chortletown. Something else, though:

12.JPG

What, no-one else smells their DVDs? People in the launch thread were saying it smelled of celery, and psh, yeah, right. But it really does smell of celery. What are they putting in our celery, I wonder? PA should release their own brand. And I'd get it signed.

All together now!

13.JPG

Oh, and here's Shrodinger playing with the bags of air that came in the box. Thanks for those, too, Santa! Reveal yourself!

15.JPG

Hey Willeth! I'm glad you liked it, Merry Christmas! =)=)

I thought when I was placing the order that it'd let me attach a message or something, but I went through the whole process and it didn't, so I've been waiting to spring the "surprise!" until after I knew you received it! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I guess we kind of take it for granted when we tell someone that the books they got are flamingly gay they are in on the joke. I bet a lot more aren't than are.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    Never read Stephen King, I don't usually read that genre, but I'll definitely have a go at this one. Plus two cds from interesting artists. I will need to add them to my vast music library at work. No clues on whom it might be within the documents and so it will remain a secret. Thanks Santa!

It's not horror like most King. The Dark Tower is weird, sure, but it's not scary.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ha, yes I'm sorry if I offended you, Henroid. Books are awesome. ALL gifts of any kind are awesome. There isn't a single gift given that isn't awesome in some form.

If at any time I'm being overtly negative it's probably a joke.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I got a package today. It can only be from my Santa I'm sure.

I don't have a camera with me right now so I'll just have to link these pictures in.

Syphilis for christmas!
    a97eeda2.jpg

Missile...toes?
    bfdc09d0.jpg

Thank you Santa I'm enjoying these greatly. I spent a good hour straight firing missiles off. Reveal who you are so I can thank you properly!

DekuStick on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So today I come home and I have something waiting for me... could it by my Secret Santa!

Yes it is! I have no cats or other seeminly creepy things to help me open it, so I proceed as usual.
    p1010726p.jpg

p1010727x.jpg

Its 6 Penny-Arcade books! And the Gabe vs Tycho poster (it didnt want to cooperate for a picture, but will definitely be getting a frame for it)!

These books will be added to my video game coffee book collection: Half Life 2, Art of World of Warcraft and Art of Starcraft Wings of Liberty.

There is no letter, but the box said it was from Khoo, THANK YOU!
    If Khoo isnt my SS, then THANK YOU <insert real SS>
    Also, I like how I said no books, touche! Will definitely be reading these!

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Awesome! The whole set is pretty awesome.

Khoo's santee already got his gift, so yours is someone else. IT'S A MYSTERY TO EVERYONE.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Khoo's name is on all packages sent from PA, so it is probably someone else...

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    DekuStick wrote: »

I don't have a camera with me right now so I'll just have to link these pictures in.

Syphilis for christmas!
    a97eeda2.jpg

Missile...toes?
    bfdc09d0.jpg

Thank you Santa I'm enjoying these greatly. I spent a good hour straight firing missiles off. Reveal who you are so I can thank you properly!

Ha, how does the little missile thing work? I demand video!

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    his evil (good?) twin brother

constantly receiving packages that are not Secret Santa gifts drives me mad!

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    All packages from PA have Khoo's name on them. He lamented about it earlier in the thread.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hooray, My Santee got his gifts, I have been nervous as its been stuck in customs the last two days.

Whew!

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DekuStick wrote: »

Syphilis for christmas!
    a97eeda2.jpg

Missile...toes?
    bfdc09d0.jpg

Ha, how does the little missile thing work? I demand video!

There is a program that has controls. I can move the launcher horizontally and vertically to line up that perfect shot. It then charges up and fires foam death upon its target. I'd make a video for you if I had the capability. Youtube has me covered as always.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=719g8-MZ6LE

DekuStick on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    dantree wrote: »

Thats what I figured. Though on the invoice under my name in the address block it says MagickRO. Not sure what it means, and no one has that name on the forums. Will have to dig deeper.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't believe this will get me cut with a knife, but my santee's package is taking longer to assemble than I had thought it would. It seems that shipping this large of a quantity of beef bullion cubes across state borders is illegal, so I'm having to resort to using international waters boat meet ups.

Ok not really on the why part, but the UH OH part is that I still THINK I can get the package out in time for Dec 25. Even if I don't I'm going to keep plugging away, and it should be worth it I think. May the gods of santa-ee be merciful on me.

ImthebOHGODBEES on
    Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    bigwah wrote: »
    dantree wrote: »

Thats what I figured. Though on the invoice under my name in the address block it says MagickRO. Not sure what it means, and no one has that name on the forums. Will have to dig deeper.

Here's a reverse stalking tip if you need it:
    Check the date when the package was shipped out on the shipping label. Then, go to that date in this thread and see if anyone posted the day of or shortly after about sending their gift off.

Figgy on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Well it's kind of a running joke because someone got books once and was quite unappreciative, despite being awesome gifts.

I should like to see this idiotic gift get post.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think someone said they didn't want books because "books are gay".

Three or four years later and it has become the running joke you see today.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Chance wrote: »

It was in 2005's Secret Santa. I'd dig it up for ya, but apparently the earliest saved thread we've got is 2006.

Figgy on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

It was in 2005's Secret Santa. I'd dig it up for ya, but apparently the earliest saved thread we've got is 2006.

And apparently it was already a joke as of 2006.
    12gauge wrote:
    JAEF wrote:
    Whoever gets gloaming as their santee, send him some books. Maybe he'll soak up some language sense. Thanks
    But ... books are gay, aren't they?

I totally send my santee a copy of one of my favorite novels

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I totally gayed it up for my Santee - he got a book about a charming, energetic, weird little girl who is fascinated by the mundane.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I totally gayed it up for my Santee - he got a book about a charming, energetic, weird little girl who is fascinated by the mundane.
    SarahPalinBookCover1.jpg

Figgy on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SarahPalinBookCover1.jpg

:^:

Well, apart from the charming.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    SarahPalinBookCover1.jpg

I didn't say terrifying and weirdly sexy.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    SarahPalinBookCover1.jpg

Sexy only cause she reminds me of the mom from Bobby's World. Doncha know?

Figgy on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SarahPalinBookCover1.jpg

Sexy only cause she reminds me of the mom from Bobby's World. Doncha know?
    did you know, "going rogue" is slang for doing it in the butt in the UK?

also, the anticipation is killing me here. i wonder who got me on this years SS....

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    HardKaseHardKase Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gift Got!

So I went to work. And there was a package on my doorstep.

I put in inside and went to work.

Now im home and lets crack into this.
    100_1822-1.jpg
    The gifts.
    100_1823-1.jpg
    Lacking a pet, I send in my flatmate at knifepoint.

Seems Safe.
    100_1824-1.jpg
    The man of steel himself. With my interest in the upcoming DCUO im sure he can help!
    100_1825-1.jpg
    A Darth Vader! I love this dude. you can take his helmet off. Such a huge darth vader fan.
    100_1829-1.jpg
    I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED ONE OF THESE. I KNOW WHAT IM DRESSING UP AS NEXT HALLOWEEN.

P.s I am wearing it now.
    100_1831-1.jpg
    Holy Crap. I love lego. I love darth vader.
    This is also the reason Its taken me a while to post. Couldn't resist putting it together.
    Awesomeness.
    100_1833-1.jpg
    100_1834-1.jpg
    The card. and the Highly Enjoyable Magic Potion! Which is now on my keyring.

It reads as follows.
    Dear HardKase,

May the holiday season bring you much cheer,
    Im sorry I couldn't include any beer,
    What I did send you I hope that you'll like,
    vut if you don't you can go take a hike;

You said you like old star wars and star trek the new,
    So have fun building and dressing up too.
    I see DC Universe in the time that you'll bide,
    in the meantime here is SuperMan to fight at your side.

One more thing is there and his name is Darth Vader,
    and because you can never have enough of Darth Vader.

... shut up it rhymed -- Schide
    100_1835-1.jpg

Dear Schide,

No need to hide,

You have brought me much cheer, you have blown me away!

You have nothing to fear, you gifts are more than okay!

I can't thank you enough, for this cheer that brought,

It must have been tough, choosing the right gifts to export.

Thanks from your santee, my strange forgien friend,

You have brought me much glee, Ill remember till the end.

- HardKase
    100_1837-1.jpg
    Me building darth vaders tie! While Big Darth vader oversees the work of his miniature clone.

HardKase on
    Steam ID: HardKAse@hardkase.cjb.net (yes I was drunk when I created it)
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Awesome. It only took a week to get there. Not bad, USPS.

I would have included a few more interesting items, but a few factors prevent that. One was the cost of shipping, adding more weight or making the box any bigger would have practically doubled the cost, and I just couldn't afford that. I also would have included some candy or something edible but I was told from a good source not to send anything organic because it pretty much would never have gotten past customs. So sorry about the lack of anything else.

I'm glad to see you enjoyed what I was able to send though!

Ugh. I also have to look at my ugly handwriting again. Ha.

Schide on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How much did ups charge to take it back 8 years into the past?

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Louie wrote: »

Haha!

Figgy on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That keychain is awesome.

Chance on
  • Options
    HardKaseHardKase Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

hey. we aren't that far behind. We have 56k broadband here.

Schide wrote: »
    Awesome. It only took a week to get there. Not bad, USPS.

I would have included a few more interesting items, but a few factors prevent that. One was the cost of shipping, adding more weight or making the box any bigger would have practically doubled the cost, and I just couldn't afford that. I also would have included some candy or something edible but I was told from a good source not to send anything organic because it pretty much would never have gotten past customs. So sorry about the lack of anything else.

I'm glad to see you enjoyed what I was able to send though!

Ugh. I also have to look at my ugly handwriting again. Ha.

Schide you did secret santa proud.

HardKase on
    Steam ID: HardKAse@hardkase.cjb.net (yes I was drunk when I created it)
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    And, in a move that could almost be SCARY ACCURATE STALKING - a container of those Goetze's Caramels. I used to be a lifeguard, and we had a vending machine, and I would beat that thing to HELL to get those to fall out. The candy always reminds me of how happy those summers were, and how much I miss my co-workers from then, and I havent had it in forever. It was a very, very pleasant surprise. Once I calmed down I took a photo of all the awesome candy together.
    a container of those Goetze's Caramels.
    Goatse Caramels?!

One you've seen it you can't unsee it.

Much like its namesake...
    I shouldn't have to say this but please, please, please don't google 'goatse'. If you're that innocent that you don't know what it is, do yourself a favour and stay that way.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
This discussion has been closed.