Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Rape [Chat]

2456735

Posts

  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about playing LoL

    Only play with folks in vent specifically the d&d folks. The general lol community is full of toxic dickwads.

    my brother plays LoL with his WoW friends so I wouldn't mind being with them for a bit....

    that and I've run through all the computer games I really want to play for a while.

  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    speaking of LoL, who's down....

    YOLO. Swag. Whatever. Fuck it. Lets do this.
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There's a dnd vent?

    Gengar's habit of soft-shoe dancing when drunk, his make-believe foppishness and shy, decent impulses to conspire, however marginally, whenever possible, against power and indifference.
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't want to whore it up or anything, but it's not like I'm making money posting this. And people enjoyed the stories earlier. So for the making of merry-time benefit for later chatters, WW2 stories from my late grandpa.


    #1 - Happy Story
    So my grandfather was in WW2. He was 19, and loved drinking. He was part of the infantry division that followed Pattons tanks. His specific job I never knew this job existed until he told me was a sort of recon. Every time one of our own planes went down in a dogfight, he was dispatched to blow it up. That was his job. Detonating our own planes to prevent the enemy from retrieving them. However, every time one of our planes went down, there was almost assuredly an enemy German team dispatched to recover it. This led to straight up Call of Duty shit, and the stories are fascinating. But this is the best one.


    So one late night. France. It's supernaturally dark and classically foggy. Mission comes from the radio. Plane has gone down. "Here are the coordinates." And my grandfather's off with his team on some kind of flatbed truck with a machine gun in it I think. I don't quite remember. Anyway, as they're furtively making their way through the Parisian countryside, they come through this field, and dark figures are creeping towards them. They call out, "Halt, stop." "We're american soldiers." The figures keep moving forward, toward them. They get nervous. They try German, they give all the appropriate warnings, but the figures keep coming. So after barely a few more tries, they open fire. Lay waste to the whole field. It haunted my grandfather the rest of the night, but they completed their mission and went back to their camp.

    Next morning, they go back to the field.
    Dead cows. Everywhere. Bloody, shot up dead cows.

    #2 - Sad Story
    Still in France.

    My grandfather would tell us all the time, "I never know that I killed anyone." He would always say it and stare off in the distance. He would say, "You know, you're in a hole, and someone's shooting at you. And you shoot back, and eventually their shooting stops. But you don't know if they're dead, if it was you, anything. I don't ever remember killing anyone." And then he'd... stare.

    However, this story came from my grandmother. Because my grandfather never told it anymore.

    While stationed somewhere in France, they were next to some farm. Now that I think about it, is all of fucking France just... Paris and farms? The farm was just the farmer and a little girl. Like maybe 10. The farmer became a good friend of his. Most of his off time was spent with that farmer during this period. He'd bring them army supplies, chocolate, whatever.


    One day he visits the farm and finds a fellow soldier friend of his in the house, raping the little girl. He shoots his friend on the spot, and helps the farmer bury him. And that was it. The end. My grandfather never wanted to speak of it again.


    Bonus stories:
    Anyway, he was also a mechanic. Sometimes he'd get semi-regular customers. He had a system of marking in secret spots parts of their car and insisting they get that part replaced. If he was inspecting a car and saw a mark of his he always say, "Didn't I tell you once about your [whatever]? It's about to go. You need a new one." And get them to buy new.

    One time he had some young woman buy a new battery because hers was "bad." But, see... His was dead, and hers matched.
    My grandfather was also quite fond of Parisian prostitutes. He may have children there. We don't know. I wonder all the time about that.


    Later [chat], I'm moving today!

  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Frozen Tundra NYCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    I do feel like LoL would be a lot better if they had more true tanks and fewer fake tanks.

    Going up against a team of five fake tanks is the worst thing ever.

    oh god NO MORE TANKS

    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
  • MazzyxMazzyx I can dig it. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am not a fan of unlocking them in a game like LoL. In things like WoW though I understand since it gives you something every time you level up in a game based on making you wanting to play longer to pay for more.

    I'd play more if I started with all the talents available to me.

    I might have kept playing!

    You are probably the exception though than the rule with WoW and the standard community.

    Also the Noxus team was poorly designed and had two of the best carries which did nothing. But really no initiators on the team. Oh well. I think I might just play now.

    bensig_zpsmavgybc2.png
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GY!BE ended up being crap. Post-rock sucks in a live environment when you're in any way sleepy.

  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    speaking of LoL, who's down....

    Down like a clown, Charlie Brown.

  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Frozen Tundra NYCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    deebaser I'll play soon but are you low level?

    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    deebaser, what is your LoL name

    @nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    If you're making webcomics because you think you're going to do that for a living, you're a fucking idiot.

    Y'know, except the few who made it of course.

    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • FeralFeral That's what I do. I drink, and I know things. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am not a fan of unlocking them in a game like LoL. In things like WoW though I understand since it gives you something every time you level up in a game based on making you wanting to play longer to pay for more.

    I'd play more if I started with all the talents available to me.

    I might have kept playing!

    You are probably the exception though than the rule with WoW and the standard community.

    Sorry, you can't use Serra Angel in your deck because you haven't clocked enough hours.

    Sorry, you can't use Nob Bikers in your army because you haven't clocked enough hours.

    Sorry, your medic can't user ubercharge because you haven't clocked enough hours.

    It's a generally retarded idea and needs to go away forever.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am not a fan of unlocking them in a game like LoL. In things like WoW though I understand since it gives you something every time you level up in a game based on making you wanting to play longer to pay for more.

    I'd play more if I started with all the talents available to me.

    I might have kept playing!

    Having them unlock is good for new players, because it keeps them from being overwhelmed by too many choices too quickly. They can examine what talents they would prefer as they learn their class.

    On the other hand, if someone is experienced, it would be nice to have access to all of it up front.

  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    that talents are mostly insignificant, though, feral

    it's not really equivalent to any of your examples


    you could make a good case against having to unlock heroes, but I think the free hero setup deals with that anyway

    @nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am not a fan of unlocking them in a game like LoL. In things like WoW though I understand since it gives you something every time you level up in a game based on making you wanting to play longer to pay for more.

    I'd play more if I started with all the talents available to me.

    I might have kept playing!

    You are probably the exception though than the rule with WoW and the standard community.

    Sorry, you can't use Serra Angel in your deck because you haven't clocked enough hours.

    Sorry, you can't use Nob Bikers in your army because you haven't clocked enough hours.

    Sorry, your medic can't user ubercharge because you haven't clocked enough hours.

    It's a generally retarded idea and needs to go away forever.


    It's a general facto of human psychology though that talent trees as they are work better. Haven't you ever experienced the phenomenon of cheating in a game, having everything, and quickly losing interest? It happens.

    Measured, flow-controlled and tempered progress keeps players longer.

    Otherwise we have to come up with a way to allow talent trees that benefit level 1 players AND level 80. Not impossible, but easier the current way.

  • MazzyxMazzyx I can dig it. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    But it is the point of most mmos to level, gain abilities then raid to gain more items and abilities and increase the ones. That is the draw. In fact leveling and gaining abilities is a pretty standard draw in all rpgs and their derivatives.

    Really you are comparing apples and monkey wrenches there Feral. Guess the games like that you just aren't for you.

    Also you could say, you can't use Serra Angel because you didn't buy enough packs to draw one. You can't use Nob Bikers because you don't spend enough money to make a full unit.

    The last one in TF2 you can't use kritzkrieg because you haven't earned the it through the achievements.

    Really sorry to pop your bubble.

    bensig_zpsmavgybc2.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    If you're making webcomics because you think you're going to do that for a living, you're a fucking idiot.
    Y'know, except the few who made it of course.
    That is like buying a lottery ticket and expecting to win.

  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hey

    eddy and deebaser

    y'all looking to play or what

  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Frozen Tundra NYCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    If you're making webcomics because you think you're going to do that for a living, you're a fucking idiot.
    Y'know, except the few who made it of course.
    That is like buying a lottery ticket and expecting to win.

    same with trying to write a book. most authors can't support themselves with book sales and work a regular job.

    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
  • FeralFeral That's what I do. I drink, and I know things. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The last one in TF2 you can't use kritzkrieg because you haven't earned the it through the achievements.

    Which is exactly why I stopped playing TF2.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Frozen Tundra NYCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    hey

    eddy and deebaser

    y'all looking to play or what

    sure but I don't know what level deebaser is and if it would be a good idea to play with him

    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    But it is the point of most mmos to level, gain abilities then raid to gain more items and abilities and increase the ones. That is the draw. In fact leveling and gaining abilities is a pretty standard draw in all rpgs and their derivatives.

    Really you are comparing apples and monkey wrenches there Feral. Guess the games like that you just aren't for you.

    Also you could say, you can't use Serra Angel because you didn't buy enough packs to draw one. You can't use Nob Bikers because you don't spend enough money to make a full unit.

    The last one in TF2 you can't use kritzkrieg because you haven't earned the it through the achievements.

    Really sorry to pop your bubble.

    no, all of those things are like each other. I am right with feral on this... I want to purchase entertainment with dollars, not earn it with time spent doing things I don't enjoy. Anything I have to earn spending time doing things I don't enjoy bothers me and makes me enjoy the game less, and grouping those things together is very legitimate regardless of the reasons other people don't mind this thing that bothers me.

    sig.gif
  • FeralFeral That's what I do. I drink, and I know things. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Otherwise we have to come up with a way to allow talent trees that benefit level 1 players AND level 80. Not impossible, but easier the current way.

    So it's a lazy substitute for good game design. No argument from me there.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    hey

    eddy and deebaser

    y'all looking to play or what

    sure but I don't know what level deebaser is and if it would be a good idea to play with him

    we'll try to inhouse

    we can all play new chars to help mitigate it

  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS
    edited December 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    hey

    eddy and deebaser

    y'all looking to play or what

    sure but I don't know what level deebaser is and if it would be a good idea to play with him

    ooh i want to play LoL

  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    If you're making webcomics because you think you're going to do that for a living, you're a fucking idiot.
    Y'know, except the few who made it of course.
    That is like buying a lottery ticket and expecting to win.

    Well yeah but even Oprah was once quoted as saying "I knew I was destined for greatness" which is a pretty retarded thing to say even though she became a billionaire.

    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    man, I hate it when this discussion comes up in [chat]

    @nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Frozen Tundra NYCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    hey

    eddy and deebaser

    y'all looking to play or what

    sure but I don't know what level deebaser is and if it would be a good idea to play with him

    ooh i want to play LoL

    yeah but you fart a bunch : /

    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    But it is the point of most mmos to level, gain abilities then raid to gain more items and abilities and increase the ones. That is the draw. In fact leveling and gaining abilities is a pretty standard draw in all rpgs and their derivatives.

    Really you are comparing apples and monkey wrenches there Feral. Guess the games like that you just aren't for you.

    Also you could say, you can't use Serra Angel because you didn't buy enough packs to draw one. You can't use Nob Bikers because you don't spend enough money to make a full unit.

    The last one in TF2 you can't use kritzkrieg because you haven't earned the it through the achievements.

    Really sorry to pop your bubble.

    no, all of those things are like each other. I am right with feral on this... I want to purchase entertainment with dollars, not earn it with time spent doing things I don't enjoy. Anything I have to earn spending time doing things I don't enjoy bothers me and makes me enjoy the game less, and grouping those things together is very legitimate regardless of the reasons other people don't mind this thing that bothers me.

    You totally misunderstood Mazzyx there. Feral (and you) are wrong in several of those examples because they are not limited by time spent. They are limited money. Which you claim is exactly what you want: pay money, get your game stuff.

  • FeralFeral That's what I do. I drink, and I know things. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm probably describing my feelings as a little more extreme than they actually are.

    In a PvE game like WoW (*cough*) it's a little more forgivable to have talents unlock. In a PvP game like LoL or TF2 I think it's pretty bad.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just had a personal disaster worse than the flooding in Pakistan, the earthquakes in Haiti, and pretty much anything else you care to name.

    I dropped my goddamn fries.

    fDl6pQS.png
  • FeralFeral That's what I do. I drink, and I know things. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You totally misunderstood Mazzyx there. Feral (and you) are wrong in several of those examples because they are not limited by time spent. They are limited money. Which you claim is exactly what you want: pay money, get your game stuff.

    I think you misunderstood my point.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • MazzyxMazzyx I can dig it. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    But it is the point of most mmos to level, gain abilities then raid to gain more items and abilities and increase the ones. That is the draw. In fact leveling and gaining abilities is a pretty standard draw in all rpgs and their derivatives.

    Really you are comparing apples and monkey wrenches there Feral. Guess the games like that you just aren't for you.

    Also you could say, you can't use Serra Angel because you didn't buy enough packs to draw one. You can't use Nob Bikers because you don't spend enough money to make a full unit.

    The last one in TF2 you can't use kritzkrieg because you haven't earned the it through the achievements.

    Really sorry to pop your bubble.

    no, all of those things are like each other. I am right with feral on this... I want to purchase entertainment with dollars, not earn it with time spent doing things I don't enjoy. Anything I have to earn spending time doing things I don't enjoy bothers me and makes me enjoy the game less, and grouping those things together is very legitimate regardless of the reasons other people don't mind this thing that bothers me.

    The game play of WoW is leveling and gaining abilities and such. Thus you spend the 15 a month to get that. If you don't want that then don't get WoW.

    Though I agree with games like LoL or TF2 it is stupid because it lessens the main idea of the game. I don't play TF2 anymore because I don't like the item idea or bosses and such. But in WoW it is the design of the game.

    bensig_zpsmavgybc2.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In other news, I got a call today to come in for an interview for a job at 3:09 for an interview at 4:30. Just barely had time to shave and run to the bus. Totally aced the interview (though it's the first of a couple).

    For some reason though they were all in a rush to bring me in for a job that doesn't start until late January.

  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    James wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am not a fan of unlocking them in a game like LoL. In things like WoW though I understand since it gives you something every time you level up in a game based on making you wanting to play longer to pay for more.

    I'd play more if I started with all the talents available to me.

    I might have kept playing!

    Having them unlock is good for new players, because it keeps them from being overwhelmed by too many choices too quickly. They can examine what talents they would prefer as they learn their class.

    On the other hand, if someone is experienced, it would be nice to have access to all of it up front.

    or just have an unlock talent tree that players can opt out of?

    sig.gif
  • FeralFeral That's what I do. I drink, and I know things. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The game play of WoW is leveling and gaining abilities and such. Thus you spend the 15 a month to get that. If you don't want that then don't get WoW.

    Though I agree with games like LoL or TF2 it is stupid because it lessens the main idea of the game. I don't play TF2 anymore because I don't like the item idea or bosses and such. But in WoW it is the design of the game.

    In WoW what I found most enjoyable was the actual dungeon crawl; being a tank and keeping my team alive, marking targets for crowd control, etc. Frankly, I think that's the draw for a lot of people, which is why people try to level quickly and then get to the endgame, because they don't want to level, they're not paying to level, they're paying to kill monsters in dungeons. That doesn't describe the entire WoW playerbase, obviously, but I don't think any one particular player archetype does.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think what's being said is for good competitive game design every option should be available from the get-go, no additional time/money needed.

    I can agree with that for PVP, that's pretty much the best way you could do it. I think I prefer the power to scale up as you go for single-player or cooperative games, though.

    fDl6pQS.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ugh what a poo poo night

  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

    You totally misunderstood Mazzyx there. Feral (and you) are wrong in several of those examples because they are not limited by time spent. They are limited money. Which you claim is exactly what you want: pay money, get your game stuff.

    Then i did misunderstand. Sorry duders

    sig.gif
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The game play of WoW is leveling and gaining abilities and such. Thus you spend the 15 a month to get that. If you don't want that then don't get WoW.

    Though I agree with games like LoL or TF2 it is stupid because it lessens the main idea of the game. I don't play TF2 anymore because I don't like the item idea or bosses and such. But in WoW it is the design of the game.

    In WoW what I found most enjoyable was the actual dungeon crawl; being a tank and keeping my team alive, marking targets for crowd control, etc. Frankly, I think that's the draw for a lot of people, which is why people try to level quickly and then get to the endgame, because they don't want to level, they're not paying to level, they're paying to kill monsters in dungeons.

    On the other hand, as soon as I ever got even close to max level in wow was exactly when I quit. I can't stand the kind of experience "end game" people like.

This discussion has been closed.