As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

UNIFIED (Second Preview Thread)

• BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Freeeefallllllin.jpg
    Heavyweight
    Biography:
    Jim was flagged as a mutant from the day he was born, with the well-known Dr. Diana Hardy's warning that his powers would manifest at approximately 6 years of age and her assurance that it was not a dangerous power by any means.

At the age of six, Jim was trying to tell a friend about a song he heard that he particularly liked. He unwittingly played the song directly in his friend's ear, and the reverberations (which he could not control at such a young age) blew out his eardrum. Turns out, Jim's ability was to generate any sound he had heard whose source was at any point within his line of sight, but Dr. Hardy appeared to have miscalculated the situation in which the power would manifest.

Traumatized by his experience and following another meeting with Dr. Hardy (in which she explained his sonic power in greater detail), Jim's father had a paid of noise-cancelling earphones custom-made for Jim, drowning out all the sound around him so that he can no longer inadvertently use it as a weapon. Jim also chose to use sign language to communicate instead of speaking, as he even feared being able to hear his own voice.

This voluntary deafness actually accelerated the development of his secondary ability. On a field trip to NASA with his 8th grade class, they were asked to walk along a narrow, elevated walkway on the way to an astronaut training facility. A construction crane that was setting up a new simulator bent and creaked out of control for no apparent reason and fell directly in the direction of the students. Jim, unable to hear the screams, warning, or even the creak of the falling crane, was the only not to duck out of the crane's way. Jim was knocked off the walkway and slammed into an artificial gravity simulator.

The combination of Jim's mutant genetics, a damaged simulator, and sheer chance led to what Diana Hardy would term "the least likely of all the possible outcomes that could have manifested from this combination." Jim now possessed his own field of artificial gravity, genetically grafted into his body.

He awoke in the hospital three days after the incident, with Dr. Hardy at his bedside and the remains of his shattered earphones beside him. Quickly, before he could panic, Hardy began to tell him in sign language that he could not hide behind his earphones forever, and that he could control his abilities with just a little bit of effort. She then spoke aloud, telling him about his new, gravity-manipulating ability.

From there a very personal connection with Dr. Hardy sprouted, with Jim leaning on her for support in learning to control two new abilities at once (as he'd never tried to use his sonic power, it technically came as something new). Dr Hardy herself took interest in Jim, owing to the very unique and unlikely circumstances that led to his current state, as well as puzzling out the cause and source of his abilities.

Thanks to Dr. Hardy's assistance, Jim lived a pretty uneventful life until the Anathema invasion. Dr Hardy was whisked away to assist the Vanguard while Jim himself feared for his family. In an attempt to escape their town following announcements that alien soldiers were advancing in their direction, their car was targeted and subsequently destroyed. Jim leapt out, but his parents weren't so lucky; his father died in the blast and his mother was split in half trying to jump out the window a second too late.

The Anathema assault vehicle then turned its sights on him, charging forward, intending to run him over in his vulnerable state. Jim cowered, screwing his eyes shut, waiting for his death…only to have nothing happened. His eyes opened to see that the vehicle had stopped a few feet away from him, engine still running, wheels spinning, but the vehicle itself was not advancing, frozen in place. Instinctively, Jim knew what to do. He pushed back.

Cut off from all of his support, from his parents to Dr. Hardy, timid, mild-mannered Jim was now thrown into a live-or-die situation every way he turned. He did not actively fight the aliens, but he did use his abilities to stay alive and defend himself when necessary. He spent many nights in a deep depression, praying for someone—anyone—to extend a helping hand to him.

Following the invasion, he found himself miles away from his home, not knowing a soul in the area thanks to his introverted self. He spent two years following the invasion working as a quiet photographer for a small, local newspaper, not really doing anything with himself aside from surviving. He craved friendships, people to get close to, but he was terrified of them, always thinking back to the day he had deafened his own friend and, in spite of his increased control over his abilities, did not want to risk such a thing happening again. That's when Dr. Hardy found him and asked him to join Vanguard.

Excited about the prospect of basically being handed a plate of friends who have shared some of his experiences, Jim agreed, adopted Heavyweight as his codename, and now boasts the Vanguard insignia proudly on his chest, fighting in the memory of his mother and father.

He is not a heroic figure, just a quiet man who doesn't want to see anyone get hurt. In many ways he is still a shy loner, but he has since found a team who backs him on everything and who he deems his closest friends. He lives almost religiously by his own code of personal responsibility and accountability, promising never to hurt an innocent victim again and punishing the people he views as the kind of person he once was: someone who had hurt a person who didn't deserve it.

Character Sheet:
    Heavyweight
    Level 7 Hero (35 Character Points)
    Faction: Vanguard, Team Leader of Pro-Vanguard H.U.G.

Powers

Core Attribute-Gravity Field Control (12 Points)
    Type: Major
    Feats (6):
    Increase Weight (Alteration)
    Decrease Weight (Alteration)
    Bomb's Away! (Offense)
    Bullets? They feel like BB's. (Defense)
    I can Fly! (Movement)
    Earthquake! (Offense)

Sound Generation (10 Points)
    Feats (2):
    Generate Sound at Enemy (Offense)
    Generate Distraction (Defense)

Traits

Kickboxing (6 Points)
    Feats (3):
    Kickboxing Strike (Offense)
    Roll with the Punches (Defense)

Vanguard Agent (2 Points)
    Feats (3):
    Call for Reinforcements (Alteration)
    Arrest Criminal (General)

H.U.G. Leader (2 Points)
    Feats(2):
    Call for Back-Up (Alteration)
    HUG Transport (Movement)

Reporter (1 Points)
    Type: Minor
    Feats(1):
    Investigative Journalism (Sensory)

Devices

Vanguard/H.U.G. Communicator (2 Points)
    Modifier: Device (-1 Point)
    Feats(1):
    Call Vanguard/H.U.G. Members (General)

Flaws

Fear of Powers (-2 Points)
    Feats(1):
    I don't want to kill anybody! (Alteration)

Bleeding Heart (-1 Point)
    Feats(1):
    Watch out for the civillians! (Alteration)

Challenges

Secret Identity (1 Point)
    Feats(1):
    Threaten to Reveal Identity (Alteration)

I finally have a complete signature. Hallelujah!

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    mrpaku wrote: »
    ZeroZero wrote: »
    i feel like we're dropping into the middle of a horror movie here with these bosses
    Dude, with all the shit at our disposal, we can take 'em

yeah, about that... i'm still gonna be awesome but it is gonna be in a slightly altered fashion
    Oh, thats cool. How?

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i feel like we're dropping into the middle of a horror movie here with these bosses

We'll win after losing all our arms and legs. Probably.

Wearingglasses on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There are far worse places to live

like say

Paris

or god help you

Munich.

Pony on
    edited May 2007
    Fedora wrote: »

yeah, about that... i'm still gonna be awesome but it is gonna be in a slightly altered fashion

Oh right, about this, did you see my post awhile back? About joining Harrier's crew?

Without the ability to alter the past we're gonna need a lot more firepower now.
    Whoa, what?

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pony wrote: »

like say

Paris

or god help you

Munich.

Maaaaan Pony

You still haven't told us the shit that went down in Tokyo

Green on
    edited May 2007
    or hell

you could always live in tokyo, right

that'd be cool, right

all

死んだ睡眠永久にでない事。
    より奇妙な時で死は死ぬかもしれない。

Pony on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh right, about this, did you see my post awhile back? About joining Harrier's crew?

Without the ability to alter the past we're gonna need a lot more firepower now.

magic might not be a bad call to fill up the gaps in our offense, but it's gonna make the shit we deal with a lot weirder sometimes

harrier did express an interest though, so i think if he's offering we should talk terms and take it

mrpaku on
  • FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Green wrote: »

like say

Paris

or god help you

Munich.

Maaaaan Pony

死んだ睡眠永久にでない事。
    より奇妙な時で死は死ぬかもしれない。

Tokyo in a nutshell

Fedora on
    edited May 2007

like say

Paris

or god help you

Munich.
    Poor, poor Eric Bana.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited May 2007
    or hell

that'd be cool, right

all

死んだ睡眠永久にでない事。
    より奇妙な時で死は死ぬかもしれない。

"The sleep which dies without being permanent. Perhaps death at stranger time it dies."

The first babelfish quote I got.

Fedora on
    edited May 2007

magic might not be a bad call to fill up the gaps in our offense, but it's gonna make the shit we deal with a lot weirder sometimes

harrier did express an interest though, so i think if he's offering we should talk terms and take it

deal, it shouldn't mess up our backstories either, just make the Ring more...extensive.

Fedora on
    edited May 2007
    Green wrote: »

like say

Paris

or god help you

Munich.

Maaaaan Pony

死んだ睡眠永久にでない事。
    より奇妙な時で死は死ぬかもしれない。

Tokyo in a nutshell

"The sleep which dies without being permanent. Perhaps death at stranger time it dies."

Wtf?

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    or hell

that'd be cool, right

all

死んだ睡眠永久にでない事。
    より奇妙な時で死は死ぬかもしれない。

The first babelfish quote I got.

I would love it if somebody could craft a better translation

Green on
    edited May 2007

deal
    Hey you fuckers don't leave me in the dark here.

edited May 2007
    And Pony said stranger times could be translated as stranger eons

CTHULHU F'THAGN!

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited May 2007

Wtf?

you've read lovecraft, right?

mrpaku on
    edited May 2007
    more liek

Das, das nicht tot ist, tut ewige Lüge.
    In den merkwürdigeren Äonen kann Tod sterben.

m i rite

Pony on
    edited May 2007

Wtf?

you've read lovecraft, right?
    Yeah. Now that some one mentions it it makes sense

• HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So if you have a Rank of 6 for an Attribute, do you have to have 6 Feats attached to it?

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Where he went

rest vanished

for the small hours were rent with the screams of a nightmare

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Harrier wrote: »
    So if you have a Rank of 6 for an Attribute, do you have to have 6 Feats attached to it?

Major: 12 feats
    Minor: just one.

Wearingglasses on
    edited May 2007

Das, das nicht tot ist, tut ewige Lüge.
    In den merkwürdigeren Äonen kann Tod sterben.

"That, which is not dead, does eternal lie. In the stranger Aeonen death can die."

Fedora on
    edited May 2007
    Harrier wrote: »

Rank 6 in a Major Attribute grants you 12 feats and costs 12 points.
    Rank 6 in a Minor Attribute grants you 1 feat and costs 6 points.

Pony on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Orwellian super-governments, mad titans, inter-dimensional killing machines bent on destroying all life, and fucking Cthulhu.

This is going to be awesome.

One Thousand Cables on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, would Durability be considered a separate power, or would it fall under Super Strength?

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited May 2007
    Orwellian super-governments, mad titans, inter-dimensional killing machines bent on destroying all life, and fucking Cthulhu.

Superheroes don't work without supervillains, after all.

Pony on
    edited May 2007
    Damn it Fedora, fill me in on this whole Harrier thing.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    More character appropriate sig. That's Maggie's arm right there. Operating at full capacity apparently.

Straightzi on
    edited May 2007
    Hey Deemer, how's the paper coming?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited May 2007

basically my power has been reduced to casuality vision on a large scale without the reality altering :(

i don't think we'll necessarily need to break the ring over this, but it might be nice to have allies who can shoot fire and handle ghosts

mrpaku on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Quetzi wrote: »
    More character appropriate sig. That's Maggie's arm right there. Operating at full capacity apparently.

Dude. Re-read The Offices thing.

YOU SPELLED SPECIAL WRONG LOL

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Pretty sexy

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited May 2007

Hey Cable, how would you like Golem to be deputy leader of H.U.G.? I mean, if Heavyweight gets knocked out of action for a while, he can take over.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited May 2007

basically my power has been reduced to casuality vision on a large scale without the reality altering :(

i don't think we'll necessarily need to break the ring over this, but it might be nice to have allies who can shoot fire and handle ghosts
    Wait, who can shoot fire and kill ghosts

edited May 2007
    Damn it Fedora, fill me in on this whole Harrier thing.

Harrier is forming a sort of "Unified Knights" that operates outside of SUN control.

He's got all sort of mystical firepower on his side, but we've got the information gather and insider connections.

Forming up, we're formidable.

Still waiting for harrier to reply and tell me what he thinks of all this.

Fedora on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Wait, who can shoot fire and kill ghosts

Probably me.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Quetzi wrote: »

Dude. Re-read The Offices thing.

YOU SPELLED SPECIAL WRONG LOL

Woops. I'd meant to run everything through a spellchecker and apparently forgot. I knew there was a reason I kept the editable version of the file.

Straightzi on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Hey Cable, how would you like Golem to be deputy leader of H.U.G.? I mean, if Heavyweight gets knocked out of action for a while, he can take over.

That's cool :^:

One Thousand Cables on
    edited May 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »

Pretty sexy
    Well, keep it that way.

World's sexiest paper.

I like the sound of that.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif