As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah that trailer was more "it's coming!" Rather than "it looks like this". I hope atleast.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh god

what if the game looks at your saved files from Prototype

sees how you played

then has Mercer play the way you played him, only this time against you

I think that my Mercer would make for a pretty easy boss. Only because he'd become distracted halfway through and leave himself vulnerable while throwing civilians at a wall for a half hour.

Slortex on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My Mercer would run away halfway through the fight and run around collecting orbs for half an hour

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My mercer was a 60 woman with tentacles.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm surprised that shit ain't comin' out in a few months, really

But I don't know if Prototype lit the sales charts on fire, either

It was the June bestseller. The PC version was also number one on steam when it was released.

The only poor showing was made by the the PS3 version, which didn't even hit the top ten.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I liked the first one, the idea of playing as someone else against Mercer is a good one for the sequel. A lot more room for variety.

Whoever made that trailer must have really liked Inception.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, I know what I'm going to be doing for the 3 months after the sequel comes out.
    Throwing people into objects, objects into people, people into people, people into walls...

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, I know what I'm going to be doing for the 3 months after the sequel comes out.
    Throwing people into objects, objects into people, people into people, people into walls...

I would spend hours using muscle mass to throw people into things. They would just burst like a gore filled water baloon. It never got tiring. Not once.

Warcry on
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So true.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kitsuna wrote: »

It was the June bestseller. The PC version was also number one on steam when it was released.

The only poor showing was made by the the PS3 version, which didn't even hit the top ten.

Yeah, but the way Activision is at the moment, if it isn't a million seller it isn't a success.

That being said it did pretty good for new IP that wasn't released during a "peak" season.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My mercer stole every helicopter he could and hummed the theme to Blue Thunder in a tribute to Roy "Chief Brody" "Officer Frank Murphy" Schieder

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Kitsuna wrote: »

Yeah, but the way Activision is at the moment, if it isn't a million seller it isn't a success.

That being said it did pretty good for new IP that wasn't released during a "peak" season.

I'm pretty sure it sold over two million copies on consoles. No idea like usual what it did on the PC but it was one of the most heavily pirated games that year.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Warcry wrote: »

I would spend hours using muscle mass to throw people into things. They would just burst like a gore filled water baloon. It never got tiring. Not once.
    I was way too busy using muscle mass to rip soldiers in half most of the time.

I really have to give Prototype a huge applaud for making me really feel like an unstoppable badass in a game.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I love doing the slide to kick with muscle mass.

Sliiiiiiide boot SPLAT

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I want information about the movement system.

I don't give a damn about anything else.

You will probably just hold RT and vault over everything effortlessly with absolutely no heft or momentum again

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I want information about the movement system.

I don't give a damn about anything else.

You will probably just hold RT and vault over everything effortlessly with absolutely no heft or momentum again

I mean the use of airdash at different points in the jump having different properties. ie allowing skilled movement that has tons of heft and momentum.
    I would like to know if they are expanding upon this even further.

If all you did to move in prototype is hold rt you were basically walking while other people were flying.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Walking up buildings and flipping over cars

I always just wished for more interaction for that, considering what my character was doing on-screen

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I gotta' go with Morninglord on this one - the movement system in Prototype has a satisfying degree of depth to it.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Chance wrote: »
    I gotta' go with Morninglord on this one - the movement system in Prototype has a satisfying degree of depth to it.

The day I figured out that hitting dash right after jumping added approximately 1000 feet to your jump height was a happy day

Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah. I loved that.

but the thing I loved to death was finding out dashing into the ground puts you straight to top speed.
    In fact dashing into the ground puts you at like 130% of top speed for about five seconds, so if you continuously do little hops and dash into the ground you fly along so fast you leave anything in the dust.

It works with armor too. You can outrun strike teams on a straight highway if you just keep hoppin and ground dashing. Bonus is that he will smash things out of his way without stopping and sometimes the car ends up doing a flip over you at the same velocity and you end up parkoring it and such.

Once I did this into a taxi and it flips over onto it's back, then Alex parkours up the back of the car, does an auto parkor hop and comes straight down onto the other end of the car, sending it flipping end over end in an arc that landed in front of him. And then he smacks it out of his way again.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i feel like getting super baked and watching you play this game morninglord, i imagine it'd be like watching the best action movie ever made
    seriously you do things in this game (and others) that are so beyond me...

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I really wanna do a let's play of prototype before the second comes out. I was going to start it this month but unfortunately I've got some kind of fraps bottleneck that reduces my frames to near unplayable levels (15-20). I can beat the bosses and such at those frames but it doesn't look very impressive because I can't react properly in a frantic situation.
    In the end I'm looking into improving my computer and hopefully in a few months should be able to start. It'll take me a while to save up parts.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Morninglord, you convinced me. When I finish up Brotherhood, I'm going to give Prototype another shot. I probably got sick of it the first time because I just finished being a badass superhero in an open world in infamous when I played Prototype. Wait, I'm playing Brotherhood before it this time... fuck.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Just spend some time using the air dash at 3 different points in the jump. After you let go, in the middle and as you hit the ground. Learn how it changes the movement and such.

The most important of these is the dash as you jump, because then you don't need to hold the jump button down at all to get out of dodge. You can just tap it and be out of the danger zone.
    Get this one down and the world is your oyster. It's your "dodge". Don't use the dodge move the game tells you to, ignore that. Do this instead.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fraps is a system hog for sure

Loki, I think it'll be fine. Instead of climbing up something for a minute and then Ezio accidently jumping the wrong direction, dropping you all the way down, losing half your life, and alerting the guards

you will now climb a building in 5 seconds, if you fall, just destroy everything around you with a bullet dive

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just bought this again, this time on Steam. My god this game is fantastic. Landing in a crowd of Infected with body armour and muscle mass and just charge punching and kicking everything on the street into gibs is immensely satisfying.

Warcry on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hehe muscle mass and armor, when you land on people, you splat them. I remember when I first realised that I spent like, two hours just hopping around the city landing on people.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Morninglord, just so you know, I would watch your lLP of Prototype so hard.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Morninglord, just so you know, I would watch your LP of Prototype so hard.

You know, there isn't enough lime in the world for this statement.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Screw it. If this is on sale during the xmas event on steam I'm getting our. I need to leap some buildings.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Muscle Mass was always my go-to power; nothing like being a BERSERKER PACKING MAN-AND-A-HALF who can RIP AND TEAR anything in his way.

So is Prototype 2 going to take place concurrent with the original? Are we going to see events from the NYC outbreak from the new guy's perspective, or will this somehow be centered around another outbreak in a different major metropolitan area? Details, man, I need details!!!

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm looking forward to this, I was 100% entertained by this game, and then found even more entertainment when MorningLord said some cool new things he figured out. :)

If they add a bit more variety to missions I will be happy.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Avatar changed in honor of beating this game again.

TIMED

BOSS

FIGHT

WHAT

Warcry on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll totally play number 2... but I REALLY don't wanna play as one of he army dudes. Fuck those guys. They were assholes. I wanna be Mercer and I wanna become an even bigger monster than before.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If they set the sequel up so that it runs concurrently to the first game, I'll buy two copies.

Think about it. You're an army guy tasked with defending a base, normal shitty guard job. You have no powers, you're human after all. All of a sudden this thing comes soaring over the walls of the base, morphing as it flies over you. Its become bigger now, a mass of muscle and dark gooey stuff. It lands on the tank, completely decimating it and throwing you back against the wall. You're dazed and stay on the ground. The mass morphs into a hooded man..... Except it has a huge blade for an arm. And then shit gets crazy.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DrunkMc wrote: »

It desperately needs this.

GET MISSION --> GET IN TANK --> WIN

was not so much fun.

Also, Alex Mercer was a douche. And raise the cost of powers. Every time I unlocked more I had twice the amount I needed to buy all of them and I only ever consistantly used about 3.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »

was not so much fun.

Also, Alex Mercer was a douche. And raise the cost of powers. Every time I unlocked more I had twice the amount I needed to buy all of them and I only ever consistantly used about 3.

He totally was, but the army dudes were BIGGER douches! True story.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Once I did this into a taxi and it flips over onto it's back, then Alex parkours up the back of the car, does an auto parkor hop and comes straight down onto the other end of the car, sending it flipping end over end in an arc that landed in front of him. And then he smacks it out of his way again.

I must see this now. :shock:

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

was not so much fun.

It was basically massive douche coagulation.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

was not so much fun.

It was basically massive douche coagulation.

To be fair those septuagenarians had it coming.

Lord_Mordja on