As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Killing your first-born [Chat]s

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd tell my friends I won the lottery if they needed a story

but mostly I'd say don't look a gifthorse in the mouth. especially not one with super powers.

but yeah secure comfortable lifestyle, never do anything again would be my 2-step superpower plan.

maybe save people sometimes depending very strongly on what kind of power I had.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't hate my friends. I just don't trust them.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Eh, for me it's the knowledge that I have to look myself in the mirror in the morning.

Ultimately the person you have to be happy with is you this is true as the day is long. I believe if pushed I could probably take a life and be ok with it, but I would not take a life for pleasure or psychosis.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure I'd want mind control powers.

Part of the fun of living is adapting to others.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Most Christians I met who claimed that the accountability was what kept them in line were saying that just to establish religion as the ultimate cause of empathy and order, not to excuse their restraint.

I'm curious why those of us who objectively choose not to engage in violent or wrongful action are deemed less moral than those who freely admit the only reason they don't engage in that behavior is the fear of consequences.

I too wonder what strawmen think of my strange hyberbolic assertions.

I'm curious what preacher is talking about.

I've never ever met a christian who held this belief.

The bolded is a reference to atheists, not christians. The second is a reference to christians who claim with out god all morality would go out the window. Perhaps my wording could have been more clear.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Damnit, Will, why you gotta call "internet tough guy" on my power fantasy :(

i am evil

evil i say

depraved!

i am internet caligula!

Yes but are you multifarious?

I didn't think so.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    some would ask me what kept me from raping and killing or whatever.

The correct answer this is to look them in the eyes and say 'nothing stops me', then give a high-pitched giggle and ask them where they live.

Bogart on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »

Mind controlling powers would probably the powers I'd be the least comfortable with as they raise a host of ethical and moral questions.

Super speed or something? Heck yeah!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm curious why those of us who objectively choose not to engage in violent or wrongful action are deemed less moral than those who freely admit the only reason they don't engage in that behavior is the fear of consequences.

y halo thar aristotle

They already figured out why divine command theory is stupid 3,000 years ago, which says something about how dumb it is.
    If rape is wrong because God commands you not to rape, then what God commands is arbitrary and baseless (he could just as well command us to rape instead). On the other hand, if God commands you not to rape because rape is wrong, then there must be some notion of wrong which is prior to God's command.

ergo divine command theory is terrible

MrMister on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Okay if I got mind control I think I'd lead a quiet life of never having to work or really do stuff I didn't want to

and removing a lot of annoyances in life

maybe even helping the world if I felt like it

but

on the other hand

while that would be nice

the temptation to just take control, of everyone, would be there

make humanity do what I want humanity to do

The second you attempted it you'd be a dead man. Nothing is a 100% and someone would find out and then popped top style.

power is hard to resist not just for me

I mean, I could promise any enemies much more power if they were my friends

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, it gets pretty ghetto in places.

Island Ghetto really is its own unique thing compared to Landlocked Urban Ghetto, isn't it?

desc on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    desc wrote: »

Island Ghetto really is its own unique thing compared to Landlocked Urban Ghetto, isn't it?

Ghettos in paradise.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    If I had super powers I'd find some way to use them to secure enough money to never work again and then I'd probably just lead a nice quiet life with my buds who would wonder why I never ran out of money.

Then one day, one of them finds out your secret. He swears he won't ever tell a soul, but you can see the doubt in his eyes, and you know that the security of your comfort lies in his hands. In a moment you'd remember every gaffe he made, every time he didn't quite come through or made a selfish call...

and you'd have a choice to make.

Er, not really, cause i'm not a petty little shit.

Why keep it a secret in the first place?

I'd freely invite my friends to all kinds of cool shit, expenses paid.

I think it wouldn't need to be a secret up until someone threatens it, though. If relative comfort is the goal, you can't really let people know how you got your money, unless you absolutely know they won't threaten it somehow.

If someone threatens it, I'd cut them off. Like elves who clean and do all your housework for a mere bowl of milk every day and will stay unless you ever thank them.

Make it a yearly tradition "one week of Daxon inviting you somewhere awesome" and it'd occur at the same time every year. Assuming mind control I am pretty sure I'd be safe no matter what - can also work on developing a spidey sense to see if anyone in range of me has hostile intentions, then just mind control them into going and getting a coffee and forgetting I ever existed.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    In other news, Super Street Fighter IV is very hard. It took me ages to finish a single run through on arcade mode this afternoon, and that was on medium. I suck.

Bogart on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If I had Jedi mind powers I would become a diplomat. Know exactly what both sides would settle for. Get me a noble peace prize, cause as Henry Kissinger proved, it's all you really need to get laid.

Well hello Dr. Mrs. The Monarch.

Lets look in my magic murder bag.
    Ultimately the person you have to be happy with is you this is true as the day is long. I believe if pushed I could probably take a life and be ok with it, but I would not take a life for pleasure or psychosis.

Yes. If my Catholic upbringing is right and there is a good, I'm pretty sure I'll get timed served due to Catholic guilt. God will tell me to relax, stop being so uptight and go smoke a bowl with his son.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Swedes, your former glorious leader, Carl Bildt was just on BBC Newsnight in his capacity as wise steward of foreign affairs

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    Dyna, you can rent a van from uhaul for like 20 bucks or something

either that or just pay a moving company to move it

I am getting a moving company to move my stuff; however, they're gunshy about plasma tvs.

"no problem as long as it was in its original box/styrofoam or crated. Otherwise, they would have you sign a waiver if it was just left out in the open."

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    what's the name of that one supervillain who is basically a reverse Superman? It's not Omega Man but it's something like that

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Most Christians I met who claimed that the accountability was what kept them in line were saying that just to establish religion as the ultimate cause of empathy and order, not to excuse their restraint.

i think a lot of them actually believe it

That must be hard. What do they think I'm doing since I've never raped or murdered? Or is Atheism only low-level crime and I gotta move on to paganism before it gets real nasty?

Eh, for me it's the knowledge that I have to look myself in the mirror in the morning.

For me it's the understanding that my sense of self is really just a biological accident and that there is fundamentally no difference between myself and other beings; and while I practice egoism in general, this is mostly out of simple pragmatic convenience as I'm in a better position to help myself than anybody else; ultimately there is no objective principle prioritizing my well-being above anybody else's.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If I had super powers I'd find some way to use them to secure enough money to never work again and then I'd probably just lead a nice quiet life with my buds who would wonder why I never ran out of money.

Then one day, one of them finds out your secret. He swears he won't ever tell a soul, but you can see the doubt in his eyes, and you know that the security of your comfort lies in his hands. In a moment you'd remember every gaffe he made, every time he didn't quite come through or made a selfish call...

and you'd have a choice to make.

Er, not really, cause i'm not a petty little shit.

Why keep it a secret in the first place?

I'd freely invite my friends to all kinds of cool shit, expenses paid.

I think it wouldn't need to be a secret up until someone threatens it, though. If relative comfort is the goal, you can't really let people know how you got your money, unless you absolutely know they won't threaten it somehow.

If someone threatens it, I'd cut them off. Like elves who clean and do all your housework for a mere bowl of milk every day and will stay unless you ever thank them.

Make it a yearly tradition "one week of Daxon inviting you somewhere awesome" and it'd occur at the same time every year. Assuming mind control I am pretty sure I'd be safe no matter what - can also work on developing a spidey sense to see if anyone in range of me has hostile intentions, then just mind control them into going and getting a coffee and forgetting I ever existed.

I guess that's what I'm saying... eventually you'd need to extend that manipulation again. Of course this is wildly hypothetical and thinking about it's also painfully "slippery slope."

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Mind controlling powers would probably the powers I'd be the least comfortable with as they raise a host of ethical and moral questions.

Super speed or something? Heck yeah!

Super speed would be cool.

I'd like to teleport myself.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    In other news, Super Street Fighter IV is very hard. It took me ages to finish a single run through on arcade mode this afternoon, and that was on medium. I suck.

We should play online sometime...I'll be gentle...honest!

Less jokingly, the AI is a really bad thing to play and practice against in terms of ability. It teaches you all sorts of weird habits. There are things that the AI will always fall for that players rarely will and things that the AI always counters that will throw most players for a loop. Also you can't really play mind games against the computer.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    what's the name of that one supervillain who is basically a reverse Superman? It's not Omega Man but it's something like that

Bizarro.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Bizzaro?

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010

Bizarro Superman?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    what about people who hold that morality proceeds from god's will? this is a common belief in lay christianity.

that is to say that rape is immoral because it is contrary to god's will

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Wait til you fight humans.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    desc wrote: »

Ghettos in paradise.

I think when you combine "wearing flip flops" with "threatening me with a machete" I'm easily as nervous as with any dude in a parka with a gun.

desc on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    what about people who hold that morality proceeds from god's will? this is a common belief in lay christianity.

Then god's will is arbitrary etc etc

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    He's talking about Ultraman superman, not Bizarro.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraman_(comics)

desc on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

This is pretty easy for me to buy. Some might argue that god's will still exists in the vaccuum of existance and anything he creates or imparts is equally arbitrary, but it seems to me that the general idea is that god = existance so his will is pretty much the will of the universe as much as any human could be concerned.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I pretty much golden rule it

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh wow guys

Have Heart's live DVD is so good

I'm no straight edge weirdo but this shit is so powerful

Tav on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Yeah I picked that up out of nostalgia and proceeded to get my ass beat so badly I was like "Oh thats right there's a reason I don't play these games."

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I go back and forth on whether I'd want to know what other people really thought of me (even disregarding the hurt feelings, it's also a gross invasion of privacy, so)

The idea of using superpowers to exact petty revenge or to torture others as a way of satisfying existential ennui are both way up on the creep-o-meter. Even using them to jealously guard your own material wealth is creepy--do you act like that now? I know that I don't treat my friends as thieves against whom I must be constantly vigilant.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Wait til you fight humans.

I have no doubt humans will kick my ass so hard I'll be wearing it as a hat come Christmas Day.

Bogart on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Speaking of island slums, apparently Fiji is pretty mad for that kind of thing. Quite visible too, even as a tourist

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I pretty much golden rule it

He who has the gold rules?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't have any ethics issues with mind control really - I don't think free will is actually a thing and there is no real difference beetween wanting something because I made you want it or some other reason

mostly I'm afraid I'd fuck it up

I know what would be cool

being able to make humanity into a hive mind

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yeah, Ultraman, that's him

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
This discussion has been closed.