As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Will Bruce Wayne ever really die?

13»

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe? I stopped reading Detective Comics after Batwoman took over and Question was running in the back of that, so I haven't kept up.

why would you do that

both of those stories were A+ excellent

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I actually didn't really like the Question back-up. Cully Hamner's art was great, but Vandal Savage ditching the Mark of Cain so quickly and easily felt like a cop-out, and I'm still not sure why he was positioned as some unstoppable threat, which Montoya had to basically concede to. The dude's been beaten up by Batman, it doesn't seem unreasonable that she and Huntress could take him. And I don't know why the two ran half-cocked into that situation to begin with.

That whole story felt really arbitrary and random. Like stuff just happened in order to progress to the next plot beat.

Munch on
  • The Real InfernoThe Real Inferno Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Maybe? I stopped reading Detective Comics after Batwoman took over and Question was running in the back of that, so I haven't kept up.

why would you do that

both of those stories were A+ excellent

I don't dislike Batwoman, but I also have my own favorites on my pull list to keep up with, I can't afford to buy everything lol

The Real Inferno on
    Every night I wonder if I might be a robot.

Beginner Let's Player. Help a brother out and watch a couple: Let's Play The Lone Ranger (Playlist) (Forum Topic)
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    On the issue of Bruce Wayne, didn't a (really good) comic after his "death" state that

There will always be a Batman. No matter what the time period, and what state the world is in.

It also had the badass/awesome line stating that "You don't get a reward, or happy ending for being Batman. Your reward is being Batman."

As if the cosmic forces of life and death themselves acknowledged that that was the most awesome thing out there.

Archonex on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    On the issue of Bruce Wayne, didn't a (really good) comic after his "death" state that

There will always be a Batman. No matter what the time period, and what state the world is in.

It also had the badass/awesome line stating that "You don't get a reward, or happy ending for being Batman. Your reward is being Batman."

As if the cosmic forces of life and death themselves acknowledged that that was the most awesome thing out there.

I think that line is from Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? by Neil Gaiman

it's not exactly continuity but as a celebration of Batman I thought it was damn good.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BigDes wrote: »

I think that line is from Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? by Neil Gaiman

it's not exactly continuity but as a celebration of Batman I thought it was damn good.

Yeah. Though, i've seen a few panels of it, and some of the background pictures definitely reference canon "Batmen".

The implication seems to be that one day, yes, Bruce will die. But Batman is forever.

Amusingly, I think they're kind of teasing that with the latest series of books.

Apparently Bruce coming back is a herald of the
    end of the world itself
    so i'm wondering how the hell he'll gambit his way out of that.

Archonex on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah. Though, i've seen a few panels of it, and some of the background pictures definitely reference canon "Batmen".

The implication seems to be that one day, yes, Bruce will die. But Batman is forever.

Amusingly, I think they're kind of teasing that with the latest series of books.

Apparently Bruce coming back is a herald of the
    end of the world itself
    so i'm wondering how the hell he'll gambit his way out of that.

He planned ahead.

Solar on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Our world is but one world amongst uncountable billions.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Death is but a door, Time is but a window. I'll be back...

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Death is but a door, Time is but a window. I'll be back...

:^:

Wildcat on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That seems pretty silly after the Blackest Night/Brightest Day shobagloo. What's one more? And Batman didn't die so much as go on a long, weird vacation. And then lose his pulse for two minutes.

Linespider5 on
  • Viva La FrenchyViva La Frenchy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Good as Grant Morrison is, he still engages in the occasional boondoggle from time to time. RIP was atrocious.

Viva La Frenchy on
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nah.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • darkstormynightdarkstormynight Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    I don't think so, no.
    Unless they make a new universe in which it's okay if he dies.

His age hasn't evenn really stayed constant, has it? I'm thinking of the age difference between The Dark Knight Returns and the stuff that's coming out now.

darkstormynight on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't think so, no.

His age hasn't evenn really stayed constant, has it? I'm thinking of the age difference between The Dark Knight Returns and the stuff that's coming out now.

Well, DKR isn't in continuity really, it's a story about old Batman coming out of retirement.

I think he's fluctuated between 30-late 40s for a while.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't think so, no.

Well, DKR isn't in continuity really, it's a story about old Batman coming out of retirement.

Frank Miller claims that Year One, DKR, DKSA and All Star Batman all take place in the same continuity

this is hilarious, on many levels

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't think so, no.

Frank Miller claims that Year One, DKR, DKSA and All Star Batman all take place in the same continuity

this is hilarious, on many levels

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

Solar on
  • PixiStyxPixiStyx Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh god, Frank Miller. *shudder* Year one is the only thing of his I like. Of course, as a girl it's pretty damn hard to connect with his stories.

Although his movies do provide for one of the best drinking games ever: that being Spot the Whore.

PixiStyx on
    RLFhalf2-1.gif -A webcomic
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ever read his Daredevil? Elektra? Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot? Martha Washington?

MastaP on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PixiStyx wrote: »
    Oh god, Frank Miller. *shudder* Year one is the only thing of his I like. Of course, as a girl it's pretty damn hard to connect with his stories.

Although his movies do provide for one of the best drinking games ever: that being Spot the Whore.

Whoa, hey,hey,hey,now,hey!

Whores have feelings to.

And in some of those movies they don't even get paid for sexual favors, so technically they are just sluts.

e: The most amourous totp or the most STI riddled totp?

Caveman Paws on
  • PixiStyxPixiStyx Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have nothing against whores, just frank miller's take on them. ;D But man, it is a killer drinking game.

Literally. Your blood alcohol level shoots through the roof.

PixiStyx on
    RLFhalf2-1.gif -A webcomic
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2010
    All Star Batman & Robin is amazing

Garlic Bread on
  • HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bruce Wayne is an archetype, he'll live forever...with an occasional death here and there to break up the routine.

Headhunter on
    "Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I thought it was an actor

although, I do agree with you

It was intended to be the real Aunt May at first. Then Marvel shit a brick and retconned into an actor after the fact because they couldn't face the change in status quo.

Retconned heh, more like conned m i rite?

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Headhunter wrote: »
    Bruce Wayne is an archetype, he'll live forever...with an occasional death here and there to break up the routine.

Pretty much this. He'll "really die" someday.

And then return via Lazarus Pit a couple years later.

Caveman Paws on