As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight training thread [WEIGHT TRAINING THREAD] thread

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thankfully I lift at home. Afterwards I get to lay on my couch and watch tv with an awesome lifters high.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is great!

BLASTED 295x3x5 squats!

And then went and 135x3x4 shoulder press

Finally crapped out some very difficult 135x3x3 Power Cleans. I think I was just whipped out from the other lifts, I will just do them on Friday

Anyway, it feels great that I will lift 300 lb on a squat on Friday D:

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    hectorse wrote: »
    This is great!

BLASTED 295x3x5 squats!

Finally crapped out some very difficult 135x3x3 Power Cleans. I think I was just whipped out from the other lifts, I will just do them on Friday

Hell yeah!

I say this in all honesty, give those 3x3 powercleans a shot before squats. Make sure you are taking enough rest to prevent fatigue. They prime the CNS and you can usually hit much higher quality sets of squats afterward.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Jyardana wrote: »
    This is great!

BLASTED 295x3x5 squats!

Hell yeah!

I say this in all honesty, give those 3x3 powercleans a shot before squats. Make sure you are taking enough rest to prevent fatigue. They prime the CNS and you can usually hit much higher quality sets of squats afterward.

Right now I am bulking and focusing on strength, so my power cleans are kind of relegated and am doing them only so I don't forget how to do them! When I get to 315 or January comes around, whichever comes first, I will switch to explosion and resistance at which point I will focus on my Power Cleans.

At least that the plan, what do you think?

Wouldn't my squats suffer by doing PC's first?

hectorse on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Only if you don't rest long enough or do really heavy power cleans. Power cleans are nice for increasing your explosiveness out of the hole and keeping you from getting pinned at the bottom of the lift. I'd do a set of 3x3 or 3x5 at the start for some "warmups" and then take a five minute break.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Only if you don't rest long enough or do really heavy power cleans. Power cleans are nice for increasing your explosiveness out of the hole and keeping you from getting pinned at the bottom of the lift. I'd do a set of 3x3 or 3x5 at the start for some "warmups" and then take a five minute break.

Cool. Any recommended load and rest timing?

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It has to be enough to recruit more motor units, so I usually recommend 75-85%1rm for the sets of 3, with the actual % dependent upon comfort level with the lift.

For rest I wouldn't go south of 3 min between each set.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My max is 175 so that means 135, convenient! I am down with that

hectorse on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So power cleans sound fun. after watching some videos showing people not bailing the weight I think I can get away with them at my gym. What would be a good starter weight for someone who's never done them before?

I currently squat 215lbs and deadlift 295lbs for reference.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Unfortunately powerclean relates rather poorly to traditional lifts due to the fact it requires higher coordination as well as power rather than strength.

Start with the bar and add weight as you go.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You could probably safely start at just below whatever you OHP.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wouldn't recommend going below 25 lb plates if you don't have the full olympic style sizing on the lower plates (i.e., they're all the same size as a 45 plate). It makes it too hard to start off the ground for some people.

And I finally managed to get back in on a new reset on my lower body mains. I was annoyed. I was definitely going light, but I still was off from my last starting cycle. Just did 315 x 20 on the deadlifts, 255 x 12 on the front squats and only managed 185 x 5 on the full zerchers (though I did do the last one as a zercher -> overhead press).

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I recommend starting with the bar and jumping right into 25's with a couple of discs underneath to elevate them. Be sure to practice form

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Will do, I have a couple of those step platforms available to help lift the weights up until I can hit the 45s in however long an amount of time.

Anybody have videos of good form to post? I don't want to just scour youtube and watch the wrong video. :P

webguy20 on
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lifted some weights today; felt good.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    MagnumCT wrote: »

Basically, this is what this is all about
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Will do, I have a couple of those step platforms available to help lift the weights up until I can hit the 45s in however long an amount of time.

Anybody have videos of good form to post? I don't want to just scour youtube and watch the wrong video. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlbDQUWs0s

best technique I've seen

Coaching the explosion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXcS0Xp1aE

Coaching the racking of the bar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCUmi2oqlvA

If you have starting strength, read the chapter. If you don't, you should buy it (queue PA posters that have learned the lifts without buying no god damn books)

hectorse on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That's a good series. I heard they're doing one for deadlift and squat too. Can't wait for those...

I would be very excited to see those

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MagnumCT wrote: »

Just got back home after squats. I nearly fell down the stairs on the way out of the gym. Feels good.

jklong on
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm in the middle of StrongLifts 5X5, so the numbers are nothing to speak of yet, but it still feels good as hell to move it around.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alright it's back in the gym tomorrow. Leg is getting better, slowly, but i've got too much damn energy and nowhere to put it. I just cleaned the house top to bottom and then set a new pb on push ups.

I miss my squats. Jklong, i hear you. I've had some close calls trying to jay walk after squat day. Just no pace off the mark

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Just no pace off the mark

Just as bad is the second step where, for a split second, it seems like your leg isn't going to catch you and you're going to end up flat on your face.

jklong on
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hit 220lb squats today, it felt so good. I think I'm gonna hit that 300 real quick like.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    (queue PA posters that have learned the lifts without buying no god damn books)

*Cue. Just sayin'.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    BranuBranu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So after lurking this thread for the last couple of years, I suppose I should post what I've been able to accomplish.

Bench: 225 3x3
    OHP: 135 3x3-4
    Squat: 225 3x5
    Deadlift: 285 2x3

Before you make fun of me, yes I was that guy in the gym doing only upper body lifts for a year. Recently though, I have been trying to get rid of these chicken legs and doing a fairly decent job of it. Tomorrow, I'm going to give 245 3x3 a try and see how that goes.

Branu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Branu wrote: »
    So after lurking this thread for the last couple of years, I suppose I should post what I've been able to accomplish.

Before you make fun of me, yes I was that guy in the gym doing only upper body lifts for a year. Recently though, I have been trying to get rid of these chicken legs and doing a fairly decent job of it. Tomorrow, I'm going to give 245 3x3 a try and see how that goes.

Wow that's great! One less flamingo out of the gyms

hectorse on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kak's 315x20 deadlift deserves more attention

HOLY SHIT

(Kak, what's the reasoning behind a set of 20?)

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I wanted to see how many I could do. :D

All of the lifting events in strongman competitions are max # of reps on a set weight per weight class. So I'm trying to not just see how high I can get my 1RM but I need to be able to do as many as a I can.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

What was that quote from I think the last thread?

"Lord have mercy on a brother's chicken legs." :lol:

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    BranuBranu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »

What was that quote from I think the last thread?

"Lord have mercy on a brother's chicken legs." :lol:

Unfortunately, chicken legs run in the family. Both my dad and grandad have them, despite living and working on a farm all of their lives and having the ability to crush your soul with a hearty handshake. Genetics is a fickle mistress.

Branu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My chicken legs are feeling it this morning. I haven't really been eating for gains since I started lifting, I've been trying to lose fat - hence my lifts haven't gone up too far.

Did 65kg (143lb) 3x10 yesterday, up from starting out doing 3x6 prisoner squats 9 months ago when I realised squats were necessary.

jklong on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Wooo. within the next two years I should be able to get my own place to lift with one of these installed. Cannot wait!

USA__Full_plat.jpg

or something like it.

Just priced it out, a decent cage with insert, 620lbs of plates, a bar, holder and bench and misc stuff is about 5k.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The hardest part of bulking definitively is stuffing my face with food.

I can't get over the mental and physical barriers of just eating too much

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thats why liquid calories are much easier. I love living in Wisconsin because there are so many different milk varieties. My fave is malted chocolate milk which is about 500 calories per glass and made with real sugar. Such an easy and quick calorie shot.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Whelp, I just found out that I've got to go to the gym 23 times before January 14th to qualify for the "way to be healthy" money from my insurance company. Wish me luck ladies and gentleman, I'm going on a one month fitness spree.

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure my wife will let me use the money to buy a pair of do-wins.

Peen on
  • Options
    JAKJAK Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I need some help, fellow bigmen.

Some asshole on another forum is talking about bodybuilders lacking agility due to their size. A few months ago I saw a video of a powerlifter hopping over some bleachers, does anyone know what video I'm talking about?

JAK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    There's a few.

Shane Haman (A super heavyweight olympic lifter) doing box jumps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCZne0g-e8

Some of DeFranco's guys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d1fisbggOU

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you mean one that was posted in here, it was this one of Werner Gunthor, an olympic shot-putter from the 80s.

So ridiculous

Peen on
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    God I love that Gunthor video. Starts all slow then it's just FUCK MY LIFE WHAT AM I SEEING THIS MAN DO?! As he accelerates up the god damn bleachers.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    JAKJAK Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That's exactly the video I meant. Thanks a lot.

JAK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not very good at pullups-- I can barely get my chin above the bar twice. I read that it's better to touch the bar with your sternum to work the scaps better. Are there any exercises I can use to help me do this?

Joe Chemo on
This discussion has been closed.