As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No VGA, now my BIOS is corrupted! New Mobo?

The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
Update 12/17 - BIOS corrupted, will try my board's recovery feature this afternoon. Considering buying a new motherboard?

So I received a lovely and wonderful surprise last night when my Newegg shipment arrived early. I picked up a new power supply (as I had been having issues), and while I was at it I figured I could do with picking up my 4th and final gig of RAM and, the big one, a brand new GPU.

The power supply and RAM, of course, went in fine. I'm stuck having a few issues with the GPU.

I'm running, currently:
  • Asus M2N-Plus SLI Vista Edition Mobo
  • AMD Athlon 64 x2 Processor
  • 500W Power supply

My GPU was an 8600GT, which still works just fine and is currently installed.

My new GPU is a Radeon HD 5770, and I have not yet been able to get it to work correctly.

The issue, is that once mounted into the PCI-e slot and connected to everything necessary the system will give me the "No-VGA" beep code (1 long, 3 short) before continuing with boot as normal. It's just that my monitor will not display any video signal through the 5770's DVI. The strange part is that it boots just fine. After awhile I hear the Vista "startup" music, etc.

I did what I thought was my research before purchase, and have since come to consider a few things that may have been overlooked, before, as they are tangentially related but with terms far enough from my hardware to make the searches miss them the first time around.

I have heard a lot of stories about incomparability in the ATI 5xxx series, though none with my particular problem, exactly. Some suggest that the 1GB memory on the card is too much for the older motherboard; others believe that you need a 600-700W power supply, minimum, for the card to run.

In any case, I ran Newegg's "how much wattage?" program with the new card, etc., and was given, I believe, 480W or so, hence the 500W supply. I was also, from reading up on the card and experiences, led to believe that I wouldn't have any issues with compatibility, even if I wasn't going to get the full power of the card without some further upgrades.

Which leaves me to my actual question: How can I get this to work? Any ideas as to why the video card won't display? Should I RMA and swap out for a lesser card I know will work, or am I better off upgrading mobo/processor (as I plan to) and holding the 5770 in reserve for when I do, in fact, upgrade?

I, also, know that I have a mobo/processor upgrade coming sooner rather than later. My old dual-core is beginning to show it's age, and I'd like some PCI-e2.0 ports on my mobo. The GPU was bought with this sort of "forward" thinking, and I wanted to get a decent card that would only improve in performance as I replace and upgrade my other components.

Oh, I think it's worthwhile to say that the only real graphically intensive activity on the PC is WoW, and the boosted system requirements for Cataclysm is what has, mostly, informed my choice of upgrading my GPU.

tl;dr- ATI HD Radeon 5770 card gives me a "No-VGA" beep code and will not display video, though my system boots and runs no problem.

3rddocbottom.jpg
The Crowing One on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Could just be the GPU is bad. That is what it seems like. Your PCI-E connector is fine if the other GPU still works, you have adequate power, so, that leaves the GPU being bad. RMA that bitch.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Could just be the GPU is bad. That is what it seems like. Your PCI-E connector is fine if the other GPU still works, you have adequate power, so, that leaves the GPU being bad. RMA that bitch.

That would be awesome, as it would mean I wouldn't have to mess with anything else.

Is there any possibility to the idea that the 1GB memory is more than the mobo can handle? I keep seeing this claim (in regard to some of the other, similar mobo models and the 5xxx series) and I do wonder if it could be legitimate or just a lot of hot air.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's certainly possible, but, you're getting into windows so, I'd say that it's working fine.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It may be relavent, as well, to mention that after I reinstalled my 8600GT I slid the 5770 into the second PCI-e port in an attempt to at least let my system get a look at it.

When I ran CPU-ID and Device Manager they both only recognized the 8600GT. More evidence for DOA, RMA?

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I would 100% say that the card is DoA. Sucks that you have to wait but an 8600 GT is usable still.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I would 100% say that the card is DoA. Sucks that you have to wait but an 8600 GT is usable still.

Yeah, it's far from terrible. I can run WoW (which is honestly my benchmark and why I'm content to continue to run the dual-core PCU) on medium settings, down from full everything during WotLK.

I want to try flashing the bios to a much newer version, and if that doesn't work tonight I'll be sending it back.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Does anyone have a reliable guide that they can point me toward for flashing my bios off a usb drive, or preferably off a CD-R?

The BIOS update I downloaded comes as a .bin file, which I am led to believe means that I have to make the disk bootable to be able to flash? or am I missing something that makes the process simpler?

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Check section 4.1.3 of your motherboard manual. ASUS has a utility in the BIOS that lets you update the BIOS by only having the .bin file on a flash drive.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Check section 4.1.3 of your motherboard manual. ASUS has a utility in the BIOS that lets you update the BIOS by only having the .bin file on a flash drive.

Funny it gets mentioned.

I flashed the BIOS last night. Or I tried. The computer rebooted during the process and corrupted the BIOS. Thankfully there's a recovery feature I'll be trying either today or tomorrow (I'm traveling out of town today).

I'm also considering just buying a new mobo, as I plan to within the next few months anyway. This guy seems too good to be true: AM2/2+/3 socket, so my Athelon X2 will fit while giving me no issue now, and when I upgrade my CPU to a quad-core AM3 socket I won't have to upgrade everything else. It's also got a PCI-e2.0 so I'll be able to get everything out of the 5770. The DDR2 support means I don't have to drop another chunk of cash on DDR3 RAM.

I've never replaced a motherboard before and it makes me a touch scared. Should I, if I decide to go for it, be concerned with heat sinks or a new CPU fan or anything of the sort?

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You can usually get replacement BIOS chips online through ebay and the like. Less than $20 (including shipping) last time I did it.

Ego on
    Erik