As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Siegfried's Thread: more work coming soon

SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Artist's Corner
Thread update 8/1/12

Some background on me I guess: My name is Kyle Gallagher, I'm a Graphic Design student in my 4th year of a 5 year program at the University of Cincinnati, and although I study design, I've always loved comics and illustration as well, and I hope to create comics and designs that people will love and enjoy every day.

Decided to make a goals section, sort of just to keep track of my progress and to use as a reference, since I write a lot of this stuff down but when I change sketchbooks I forget which one had what.

Long-term goals:
-illustrate and/or write a graphic novel
-draw everything, all the time, forever

Short-term goals:
-design t-shirts from custom typography
-make more comic strips
-follow through on more personal projects, post completed work rather than just sketches

Also, here's where some of my work can be found and will be posted other than in this thread:

Tumblr: http://rgbfame.tumblr.com/
Twitter: twitter.com/kylebunker

I don't update these often but here they are:
DeviantArt: http://siegfried14.deviantart.com/
BehanceNetwork: http://www.behance.net/kylegallagher

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
Kochikens wrote:
My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
Siegfried on

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Post reserved for pics and goals and stuff.

After I eat some pizza.

EDIT: Okay so I wrote these up earlier today and they are my goals for November/December. If I finish them early enough I'll make more I guess.

-1 fully rendered character drawing (cleaned up linework, colored, shaded)
    -1 completed character drawing with enviornment
    -1 "painting" in Photoshop
    -1 new avatar
    -2 portraits, one b+w and one color

And now here's some drawings and doodles:

august_doodle_by_siegfried14-d2vxvjb.jpg

august_september_doodles_3_by_siegfried14-d31k5ob.jpg

small_avatar_by_siegfried14-d31k8f6.jpg

august_september_doodles_2_by_siegfried14-d31k5ly.jpg

august_september_doodles_1_by_siegfried14-d31k5iy.jpg

Werd_UP_by_Siegfried14.jpg

Color_Skull_by_Siegfried14.jpg

40bbc8c97160d3e2a28ae83d8a4b3513.jpg

baecf04784179635c6c4064726a19a76.jpg

3e56c3a777073de20e106c17603dfd59.jpg

808f93436b1e63d5b5df625c7325d7be.jpg

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Just post some stuff duder, no need to reserve virtual space--we've got plenty to go around.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited November 2010
    Something I did last night, it's the first drawing I've ever successfully colored in Photoshop. I used Andrew's tutorial: http://www.teamspecialolympics.com/tutorials.php?id=14865

kickpunch_by_siegfried14-d32ahm2.jpg

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Keep at it man, you've got the skill.

Your traditional stuff is probably the most impressive to me, like the still life and the tape measure. Doing things like this will help you see and improve. Getting some pencils with darker tones will help punch things out some.

Your doodles and digital stuff seem to suffer from the bunch of little sketchy line syndrome that people often have when they're not confident about what they're doing. But you know what you're doing, so now start drawing like you know you can.

earthwormadam on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I agree with Adam. After your OP, I really was not expecting to see things like the tape measure, and skull - they're actually pretty good! You should have more confidence. :)

For your sketches in your sketchbook...they look like they're mostly out of your head. While that's fine - you'll probably improve a lot faster if you draw more from life. Draw people from a coffee shop, at a bookstore, on a train, whathaveyou. Draw more still life. Draw some buildings.......all from life.

Also, just a suggestion...but it might be better for you if your fully-rendered character is just done in graphite, and not colored. Trying to throw together proper lighting, proper values, and proper color together (especially traditionally, with something like...colored pencils) can be extremely difficult. To be honest, if I was going to do something like that, I'd probably do a graphite thumbnail anyway, just to get the values down before bothering with the color. I just think that based on what you're looking to achieve, it might end up being more helpful if you try it out with just graphite first.

NightDragon on
    edited November 2010
    By "rendered" I really meant "digitally rendered" or whatever.

Is there a better word for that?

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Siegfried wrote: »
    and I'm a shitty artist

Well the tape measure and skull drawings completely crap on that statement. You're nuts.

Your sketchbooks are nice. good creative ideas (most important thing my opinion)
    still life skull is really good too.

winter_combat_knight on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How did you turn that pencil of the tape measure into the black and white?

I would really like to know how you did that. It looks great.

Thanks.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for all the compliments people, I just don't have a lot of confidence because I'm not as good as I want to be right now.
    How did you turn that pencil of the tape measure into the black and white?

I would really like to know how you did that. It looks great.

Thanks.
    It was a bitch, I'll tell you that much.

It was from this project here, where I had to draw out the object, then make the object in Illustrator, and then I had to render it and make a graphical representation of it.

Basically I just scanned in the linework and went over everything with the pen tool. The black and white shapes on the final was just a matter of filling areas with black and deleting other parts.

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nice stuff, man. Keep practicing.

NibCrom on
    edited November 2010
    Some doodles and sketches of stuff:

chairsketch_by_siegfried14-d338d75.jpg

facedoodle2_by_siegfried14-d338d4r.jpg

figuresketches2_by_siegfried14-d338d3a.jpg

figuresketches_by_siegfried14-d338cvn.jpg

facedoodle_by_siegfried14-d338cr7.jpg

rachelsketch_by_siegfried14-d338cl5.jpg

And this is possibly a sketch of Fug.
    fugsketch_by_siegfried14-d338cat.jpg

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited November 2010
    Made cleaner lines in photoshop, also kind of fixed his arm and hand. It could perhaps use work. I might try adding color, I dunno.

fug_lineart_by_siegfried14-d33hfpe.jpg

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited November 2010
    a_fugitive_by_siegfried14-d33is8q.jpg

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Watch that hip. Something happened in your transition from sketch to colour...overall the design is damn near identical, but finished, somehow that right hip juts out a little too strongly. Looking at it again, I think the line weight on the torso in the sketch seemed to emphasize the spinal relation into the hips more, shaping the body more cohesively, and that didn't quite carry through.

The colouring is quite excellent, though-the shading is subtle but evident, and your choice of tones are pretty strong. Keep it up. :^:

Linespider5 on
    edited December 2010
    This thingie is coming along. Still gotta do the sky, clouds and shit.

xmas_draft2_by_siegfried14-d34s94r.jpg

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited December 2010
    All done! I'm pretty proud of myself on this one. This can only lead to bigger and better projects!

christmas_2010_by_siegfried14-d350cbb.jpg

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    I might suggest toning your entire palette with some kind of blue/violet color, and maybe add some very very very pale yellow suggestion to the lights. Right now every object is colored with just their local color (ie: snow is white, grass is green, etc.), with some black mixed in to create shading. Unfortunately, a great deal of what the color of an object looks like it based on the lighting situation, not just the local color.

A good start is to figure out your lighting setup and tone the palette accordingly.
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/05/toning-palette.html

Time for a very quick and dirty paintover:
    I'm going to go with a bit of an exaggerated blue here for toning, (an entirely truthful color reproduction of a night scene light this would largely be very dark greys and blacks, and not very romantic), and adding a very small touch of pale yellow to the moon color/light.

Sieg_xmas.jpg

By spreading the blue across the board, everything in the picture becomes visually unified; by adding the lighter white/yellow, it allow you to use light as a means to point out what is visually important to the composition. This may seem like a complicated thing, but the fact is it makes the picture easier to read- which becomes apparent if you look at it shrunk down:

Sieg_xmas2.jpg

On the original, the composition gets distracted by all the shapes made by the snow and the grass, and the snow and clouds and moon all blend together tonally, making things seem somewhat visually chaotic. In the second, it becomes simplified to the point where all the things that are lit are shown as prominent- the moon, the soft forms of the tops of the hills, the couple (the rim light on the couple should be more pronounced now that I look at it shrunk down, actually, to pop them out more- which shows the value of the exercise of looking at a picture shrunk down.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yep on the original there just isn't anywhere for the eye to focus, and with the edit you can kinda just soak in the image as a whole, and the merry Xmas becomes more subtle and effective.

earthwormadam on
    edited December 2010
    the merry Xmas becomes more subtle and effective.

If you say so, I just painted over it because it was in the way, haha.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the help, I really wanted a critique like this but nobody was really offering anything up until now. I'll have to take that into consideration and work on it when I get back from vacation. Unfortunately I won't be able to work on it until next week though.

On a side note, on the monitor I was working on everything was a little darker in value, for example the snow was supposed to be like a 20% grey or something to help reflect the night theme.
    I have so much trouble getting my monitors to display the same color settings, and even then somebody else's monitor displays differently from my own. Is there a way to take care of this, or a specific setting most people use or something?

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited December 2010
    No, there's no real standard across monitors, unless you're talking about the very expensive kind used to check colors for print previews.

What this means is that you can't rely on your 20% grey looking 20% grey everywhere. Luckily, however, the eye doesn't rely on absolute value in a picture to look correct, (ie: "That value is 30% grey when it should be 25%! Waaaah!") What is relies on instead is relative value (ie: "That value is lighter than this other value over here").

What this means is that as long as the values make some kind of rational sense on one monitor that's not obviously totally fucked up, it will generally look ok on most monitors, because the color/value settings on monitors generally effect their entire value/color range, rather than specific spots. A monitor won't arbitrarily make one color more blue without making the rest more blue; it won't change the brightness of one color without changing the brightness of all colors, it won't increase the contrast on some values and not others; this means that no matter what, the relative values and colors always remain the same.

So when it comes to this picture, the monitor is no excuse; 20% grey the snow may or may not be, but it doesn't matter because it's still so bright compared to the sky and the ground, that it appears to be glowing. Conversely, it would be possible to make a picture where the darkest value is 20% grey and still look believable, as long as the relative values were maintained.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited December 2010
    I understand that it's all relative, it's really just the aggravation I felt when I get it the way I want to on my laptop and monitor at school then after I upload it and go to my parents house it looks way brighter than I want. From there I start thinking, "does everyone see it this bright?" And its upsetting.

Again, thanks for the paint-over sample and advice, it just sucks that I won't get to try it out until at least Wednesday. I really enjoy digital work much more now that I'm getting the hang of the software and how to do stuff.

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited January 2011
    Some potential covers for my portfolio to be emailed to potential employers:

0e3436768d67770359453a1a22cbe954.jpg

12896c865443e7620b4ed8e436d3e253.jpg

d89d7806e4a0c11bf6ee27f95ce8cc40.jpg

The final product will be up within a week when I work out all the kinks.

EDIT: Forgot the white cover.

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited January 2011
    Any reason you have the date on there?

NibCrom on
    edited January 2011
    My school is on quarters so I put the current quarter there sort of just for reference.

I guess it doesn't really have a point.

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I would take it off it isn't for school. Some companies hold on to portfolios and resumes, I don't think I've ever seen one with a date on it, only on cover letters.

NibCrom on
    edited January 2011
    See spoiler tag for a bunch of shit. With the exception of one picture on the albums page I still need to take, give me any feedback because I hope to send this shit out saturday.
    0d8716bb46da8ddc5d6a81408f6a37b9.jpg

a84b9aa3783d308f0f04ef85f732072c.jpg

613136b03064485b6a97c3eabd615145.jpg

da64708b6ec6ea526f031b4a7dd06fbf.jpg

625bfc701a4cce316b2b55fb3618963b.jpg

f43009cd60a2d55b8ee5b6fe208fced4.jpg

ed15a0062df3daa3066e3a3f95194896.jpg

81918a0fb84b49ee2eb62f7f816c446a.jpg

309488fbca4cb796fe026fa868da680b.jpg

9e4843cd03b1f58f136093ad00b8c0f2.jpg

7ec88754582c394048648bedb07ddf08.jpg

7f5f37635cdba857a7b01e5138370e19.jpg

2e244127f372c0e0a7b6dcc21485d11d.jpg

97c4d586a2d92b603e108ad7c71ad865.jpg

e6bd832aa08a8a19d1400110489b3a2a.jpg

6f71dfb159cb8ede2edd1062404c7949.jpg

5222437ef9507632be2ba0af0bbffaf8.jpg

5530ea7e57871a1cf930202d1f5a33fc.jpg

b1b90e768a0d5412b66ceee563cfa728.jpg

394d1490e4c37812183e2d714a75734a.jpg

0a3923ce4b6b1c0fd577c5a2cc606c9a.jpg

32d1873af8d236ac60cadb9ad492f2cc.jpg

76b4ee2e875466cdef77d6cee23d9de2.jpg

d15edea2f3d710116e01630f6f4a5954.jpg

12af0177ce360661036d8b97c155ecdf.jpg

cb717ddc717adab714e9b92118d7d824.jpg

652aee03a6438ea3ab9f7bc1a40f9088.jpg

0cd0c49b287dc353aa509fa13387d12a.jpg

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
  • harrykharryk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh, you're welcome.

harryk on
    edited January 2011
    Looks really nice, man. Do you know what kind of jobs/companies you're applying to? I think you have a good general portfolio going, although it would be nice to have it customized depending on what kind of job you're applying for.

NibCrom on
    edited January 2011
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Looks really nice, man. Do you know what kind of jobs/companies you're applying to? I think you have a good general portfolio going, although it would be nice to have it customized depending on what kind of job you're applying for.

I would love to make two portfolios, one like this where it's a more conservative and design-friendly approach, and another that exudes more of my personality. Only problem is I really don't have time for it.

And via UC's Professional Practice Program, I can only upload and send one portfolio anyways. :/

But the design firms I'm applying to include:
    -Christie's (NYC)
    -Gallagher & Associates (DC)
    -Hornall Anderson Design Works (Seattle)
    -Kate Keating Associates (San Francisco)
    -Landor (Chicago)
    -Two Twelve Associates (NYC)
    -Vanderbyl Design (San Francisco)
    -Minelli (Boston)

And a couple in Cincinnati. There are a surprising number of graphic design jobs in Cincinnati.

On a side note, which of the two final pages do you like? I prefer the first one but a friend suggested that I make it more like cover slightly.

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited January 2011
    I like the second one. It's more dynamic. But use the one that makes you comfortable. Good luck!

NibCrom on
    edited January 2011
    Drawings from last week:

img006e.jpg

img001qx.jpg

img007tm.jpg

img005jg.jpg

img004u.jpg

img003ct.jpg

img002m.jpg

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited February 2011
    Doodles from last week, just putting them here in my thread. I am definitely starting to see a general improvement in being able to start drawing more easily and drawing for fun a little more as I progress from week to week.

img001ss.jpg

img002lz.jpg

img003aip.jpg

img004ps.jpg

img005wy.jpg

img006y.jpg

img007wx.jpg

img008a.jpg

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
  • JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What are you going to carry on with that music logo thing?

JeckalHyde on
    edited February 2011
    It's for a school project, designing a logo type dealie for a band or person or whatever. I have a lot more variations, I haven't really nailed it down yet.

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited February 2011
    Preview of a little personal project:

brandoncharactersketche.jpg

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited February 2011
    img007y.jpg

img006hec.jpg

img005am.jpg

img004uf.jpg

img003wka.jpg

img002kg.jpg

img001nyl.jpg

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited March 2011
    Doodle bump

coolkidiscool.jpg

I'm gonna be making comics next month! Hold me to that!

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited March 2011
    Some of the variations for my logo:

btmidraftsc.jpg

btmidraftse.jpg

btmidraftsd.jpg

Still needs some tweaking but that last one is about done. I'm essentially just going to make the serif font a sans-serif.

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited April 2011
    Now introducing my personal project, "RGB fame." I've just been experimenting with stuff and hopefully a comic will help me improve. I think it already has helped quite a bit.

rgb_fame_1_by_siegfried14-d3dgicn.jpg

rgb_fame_4_11_11_by_siegfried14-d3f53t2.jpg

rgb_fame_4_25_11_by_siegfried14-d3f549p.jpg

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote: