As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Super Mutants and Deathclaws and Geckos OH MY

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That Gun was terrible. I kept looking at it and wondering just why it even existed.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    That Gun was terrible. I kept looking at it and wondering just why it even existed.

Fanservice mostly. I really hope they buff it in further patches.

C2B on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It was a means of using all the 5.56 ammo I had laying around after I abandoned the varmint rifle.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just liked it because it had that glowy light and made that sound when you reloaded.

Dragkonias on
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    never die wrote: »
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Mr Heist wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    I'm watching my friend play right now and I must ask: does anyone else find the gecko's in this game adorable?
    Oh god, their run?

I think that's what made me decide to do a sniper run. So I could get their attention from across the map, and just watch them run to me. Watch them run forever.

They look so happy when they run towards you. Like they just want a big hug.

But they don't D:

Later on in the game I can just stand there and watch them. I wonder if anyone has tamed them in the game?

There's a perk in the game that lets you do exactly this.

Oh yeah, animal friend!!!! AWESOME!

never die on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If That Gun had just a few more damage, it might even be pretty good. It's got Lucky's 2.5x crit chance, but (I assume) it doesn't have its absurdly long reload and related bug I've discovered where using VATS before the reload is completely ended bugs out your character and freezes you for like a minute.

But with it barely outdamaging a 9mm, even Cowboy can't save it. I'll take my chances with the reload glitch.

Elendil on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm finding that one of best parts of immediately going through Primm Pass at the start of the game is gaining access to the Ratslatey really early (though Broc Flower Cave is kind of a bitch). Silenced sniper rifle at level 3? I'll take it!

Graviija on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Oh goddammit.

I was actually going to side with the Legion this time. But apparently getting attacked by them and having to kill the attackers as part of a mission was enough to get me to hated and attacked on sight at cottonwood cove.
    You should still be able to side with them when you reach the strip.

Assuming the messenger has not already told you "We'll ignore all your past crimes if you join the Legion now."

you can also, I think wear legion armor so they won't attack and get some easy quests or give them NCR dog tags they'll like you.

I even killed that ranger idiot that's sent to assassinate me something like three times and they won't attack me on sight. Hell i've murdered almost all NCR members in the wastelands and NCR still gave me quests.

DanHibiki on
  • PixiStyxPixiStyx Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I heard once that the original Fallout games were somewhat based on GURPS. Anyone know the story behind this?

PixiStyx on
    RLFhalf2-1.gif -A webcomic
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I had a fallout 3 dream that prompted me to ask this, is there a hoverboard mod for F3 or NV yet?

RoyceSraphim on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There is one for NV, yes.

Arrath on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I can't talk to Sterling at Camp Forlone Hope. No super cool cowboy Raul for me. =(

On the bright side the DLC looks great fun.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PixiStyx wrote: »
    I heard once that the original Fallout games were somewhat based on GURPS. Anyone know the story behind this?

Waaaay back in the early days of Fallout 1 they considered using the basic GURPS design instead of SPECIAL, because SPECIAL hadn't been though of yet. Then they decided to go with their own system and came up with SPECIAL.

Professor Phobos on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    has...has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvztobKlEMI

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PixiStyx wrote: »

Waaaay back in the early days of Fallout 1 they considered using the basic GURPS design instead of SPECIAL, because SPECIAL hadn't been though of yet. Then they decided to go with their own system and came up with SPECIAL.

yeah that was back when GRUPS thought they were going to be big shots and didn't want some silly video games to sky rocket their carriers and didn't let Fallout use their precious system.

However, Fallout was all about Gamma World

DanHibiki on
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »

yeah that was back when GRUPS thought they were going to be big shots and didn't want some silly video games to sky rocket their carriers and didn't let Fallout use their precious system.

I always laugh when I read the reasons which are basically only two points

-Execution in Intro
    -Vaut Boy pictures in the charachter screen

C2B on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Basticle wrote: »
    has...has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvztobKlEMI

That was cringe inducing, i've seen other attempts at fallout no-budget shorts that are much much better and far less cringe worthy.

Deaderinred on
  • CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I just completed the game for the third time(House) and (eventually) got the Love the Bomb achievement. Explosives feel very much like Big Guns from F1/2/3 in that they're:
    1) Pretty rare
    2) Pretty expensive
    3) Heavy as hell
    4) Have massive ammo shortages.

This all leads me to believe that no-one actually wants you use explosives. Other than a GMG with high explosives grenades or mercy(which is an utterly ridiculous weapon) I couldn't find many explosive weapons that were worth using. Missile Launchers and the fat man are both super heavy themselves and have by far the heaviest ammo in the game. I found myself pulling out a fat man to take out a cazadore nest and then realised that it simply wasn't worth the inventory space.

Now I'm one melee + unarmed Caesar run from a platinum trophy. Fuck Caesar. I'm dreading this.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
    edited December 2010
    As lkong as you avoid Deathclaws and cazadores until late levels and the harder normals (Fire Geckos, Nightstalkers) until the mid-teens you pretty much constantly destroy everything all the time in a melee playthrough.

Also a few questions!

Legend of the Star quest. The old dude didn't warn me about Allen marks and I've got about 30 caps so far, I imagine he's never gonna come, right? Also does anyone know where the guy in metal armour being attacked for his cap necklace is. I want to help him avoid any future danger.

And any tips for an explosive run?

Do you need to have Mr. House alive to get the snow globe achievement?

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Domhnall wrote: »
    As lkong as you avoid Deathclaws and cazadores until late levels and the harder normals (Fire Geckos, Nightstalkers) until the mid-teens you pretty much constantly destroy everything all the time in a melee playthrough.

Also a few questions!

Legend of the Star quest. The old dude didn't warn me about Allen marks and I've got about 30 caps so far, I imagine he's never gonna come, right? Also does anyone know where the guy in metal armour being attacked for his cap necklace is. I want to help him avoid any future danger.

And any tips for an explosive run?

Do you need to have Mr. House alive to get the snow globe achievement?
    The Allen dude never attacks you, you find him dead towards the end of the Legend of the Star quest.

And regarding the snowglobes, as far as I remember you don't need to have House alive, or even turn in all six. You just need to have gotten all six of the snowglobes.

And by 'Metal Armor Guy' do you mean the person that was traveling with some chick he met on the road, and then she attacked him for his Lucky Necklace? You'll find those two as you approach Nipton, he should run up to you.

Loathing on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Totally told that dude to take care and good luck, then shot him in the back of the head as he walked away. I think that may have been the meanest thing I've done in this game.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You should have shot his legs out for extra dastard points.

I think I torched him with a flame launcher.

I was not feeling charitable.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited December 2010
    I think the meanest thing I've done in any of my playthroughs was pickpocket Boxcars, then place an Incendiary Grenade in his pocket. To top it off he screamed Sweet jesus, noooooooo! as he died burning to death.

TLDR: I burned a cripple to death in a game and laughed as he screamed.

Loathing on
    edited December 2010
    Worse. Than. Hitler.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Loathing wrote: »
    I think the meanest thing I've done in any of my playthroughs was pickpocket Boxcars, then place an Incendiary Grenade in his pocket. To top it off he screamed Sweet jesus, noooooooo! as he died burning to death.

TLDR: I burned a cripple to death in a game and laughed as he screamed.

Hahaha, wow.

Also cheers. That was the guy I was talking about. I was looking around the 188 and was confused about where the fuck he was.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ... What the #$%\ ?
    Suddenly I cannot go to Camp McCarran or any NCR place where are NCR MPs because they attack me and made the rest of the NCR troops hostile against me?

What I did wrong? My reputation with the NCR is "Idolized"

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
    edited December 2010
    ... What the #$%\ ?
    Suddenly I cannot go to Camp McCarran or any NCR place where are NCR MPs because they attack me and made the rest of the NCR troops hostile against me?

Are you wearing any sort of Faction armor, such as Legion or BoS power armor? If your wearing armor of a faction that the NCR hates then they will also attack you.

Loathing on
    edited December 2010
    ... What the #$%\ ?

Are you wearing any sort of Faction armor, such as Legion or BoS power armor? If your wearing armor of a faction that the NCR hates then they will also attack you.

No; Arcade and I are wearing Non-faction T-51 power armor.
    The weird thing is I can go to any NCR place without regular troops or rangers becoming hostile, except if there are MPs (like in the Camp McCarran). The MPs are the ones who attack me.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ... What the #$%\ ?

The weird thing is I can go to any NCR place without regular troops or rangers becoming hostile, except if there are MPs (like in the Camp McCarran). The MPs are the ones who attack me.

try without the armor

if that does not work, go off somewhere far away from everyone and wait for a week, see if that fixes it.

Buttcleft on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You don't have ED-E with you do you? He spazzed out and started attacking everyone at McCarran when I took him there.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    there is nothing my character will not do to earn star caps

absolutely nothing

she just picked up three off the floor of Lake Mead

she doesn't even like sunset sarsaparilla

Elendil on
    edited December 2010
    smof wrote: »
    You don't have ED-E with you do you? He spazzed out and started attacking everyone at McCarran when I took him there.

The EDE glitch apparently stems from if a player stores Food in his inventory (aka flying fridge syndrome). NPC's will 'see' the food in his inventory and treat him like a container, but in order to open the container they have to kill him - which ends up in him attacking them and them attacking him.

Not sure if this has been patched or not?

Loathing on
    edited December 2010
    That is the most amazing bug I've ever seen described.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    there is nothing my character will not do to earn star caps

absolutely nothing

she just picked up three off the floor of Lake Mead

she doesn't even like sunset sarsaparilla
    I played it the exact opposite. I was a sunset sarsaparilla fiend. I could not get enough of it. I think I ended up drinking every bottle in the game.

Gorilla Salad on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sunset Sasparilla gives nice healing, and unlike nuka cola, is rad free! And you can find lots of it everywhere

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    ... What the #$%\ ?

try without the armor

if that does not work, go off somewhere far away from everyone and wait for a week, see if that fixes it.

Nope; With or without armor some MP fucker come running to me, says something about I should't leave the strip and start attacking.

According with the Fallout wiki, the MPs become randomly hostile when you go to the NCR embassy.
    But, I went to the NCR embasy like 20 gameplay hours ago and only now they attack me.

Great. Way to go, Bethesda.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Sunset Sasparilla gives nice healing, and unlike nuka cola, is rad free! And you can find lots of it everywhere

I never pick up water because, why would you drink water when the wasteland is awash in sasparilla?

Caveman Paws on
  • Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does Sunset Sarsaparilla hydrate you? I forget, thought it was like Nuka Cola.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
    edited December 2010
    It does H20 +5 so not as much as Purified Water. Doesn't really matter unless you are playing on Hardcore. Even then, I honestly never had any problems staying hydrated or fed. Literally, there's water everywhere on the map. Drinking from a water source, it resets your H20 level to 0 so even if it does like +5 Rad/s, it's not a big deal since sure you get 5 Rad added to the meter, but you reset your entire H20 meter. Wait till you get to 200 Rad and get Minor Rad Sickness, then pop a Rad-Away and BAM, your good to go again.

Loathing on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010