As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Census 2010: The Data is In! US Population: 308,745,538

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For some fun income distribution, check out 3747 (No I don't live there).

schuss on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Man, DC is a segregated town. My census area is 85% white, while there are neighborhoods across tha river that are 100% black.

That is pretty remarkable.

adytum on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Estimates were saying 6 seats gained in McCain states and 6 lost in Obama states.

That nyt map thing has shown me that I live in an island of whiteness in the african american sea that is Philadelphia. I probably shouldn't be surprised by this.

Putting in my home address from high school is kind of funny (66427 for those curious).

I live on the edge of whiteness. I'm like the crest of a wave.

shadowane on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    interesting thing you can see in the east-coast cities where the block-by-block breakdown is done - the inner core of the cities are largely reasonably affluent and young, the ring outside that - the inner suburbs are quite poor and the outer suburbs very wealthy and older. i guess it's kind of like the rings of trees that you can track the different approaches we have had to cities over the past 60 years or so.

hopefully urban renewal will keep going strong and help pull up the quality of life in the inner suburbs.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yaaaaaay data

I collected some of this data.

Hachface on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Man, DC is a segregated town. My census area is 85% white, while there are neighborhoods across tha river that are 100% black.

That is pretty remarkable.
    Census tract 7054 in the DC area has a population where 93% of the people have college degrees or higher and 64% have master's degrees or higher. That has to be one of the highest rates in the country. That same tract has 63% of its households making more than $200K a year. I assume that 64% includes kids and teenagers, so pretty much every adult probably has a master's or better in that area.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    enc0re wrote: »

Woot! Once again Michigan makes it to the top of the list. Let's have a round of applause. Here's another one we're topping.
    20101120_usc659.gif

That looks depressing.

Do you have a link for the article it is from?
    I'd like to take a look closer.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    interesting thing you can see in the east-coast cities where the block-by-block breakdown is done - the inner core of the cities are largely reasonably affluent and young, the ring outside that - the inner suburbs are quite poor and the outer suburbs very wealthy and older. i guess it's kind of like the rings of trees that you can track the different approaches we have had to cities over the past 60 years or so.

hopefully urban renewal will keep going strong and help pull up the quality of life in the inner suburbs.

The fortunate thing is that inner ring suburbs are typically first or second generation suburbs, meaning their street grid and so forth are traditional and so much more amenable to improvements and investment whereas the further out the more likely you are to run into cul-de-sacs which can't really be repurposed.

At the same time, this might be a dual edged sword in that being both closer to the city and more readily improved, it'll just drive the poor even further to the fringe where assistance is both more costly and difficult. Then we'll basically be like old European cities with the core populated by the wealthy and wealth decline radiating outward.

moniker on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    jammu wrote: »

Woot! Once again Michigan makes it to the top of the list. Let's have a round of applause. Here's another one we're topping.
    20101120_usc659.gif

That looks depressing.

Do you have a link for the article it is from?
    I'd like to take a look closer.

The Economist: One Nation, divisible.

enc0re on
  • QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Michigan and Puerto Rico experienced a decline in population.

Slowest Growth:
    • Michigan
    • Rhode Island
    • Louisiana
    • Ohio
    • New York

20101120_usc659.gif

Seriously, it's so bad out here. And it's not going to get much better soon because we're still dealing with fall-out from the Kwame Kilpatrick nonsense and the new Governor is going to have a tough time reversing Granholm's years of destroying business and hemorrhaging money.

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
    edited December 2010
    Detroit is a disaster unto itself. I watched Robocop the other day and couldn't help thinking that reality had caught up with fiction.

I say we sell it to the Canadians.

enc0re on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Qonas wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Michigan and Puerto Rico experienced a decline in population.

Slowest Growth:
    • Michigan
    • Rhode Island
    • Louisiana
    • Ohio
    • New York

20101120_usc659.gif

Seriously, it's so bad out here. And it's not going to get much better soon because we're still dealing with fall-out from the Kwame Kilpatrick nonsense and the new Governor is going to have a tough time reversing Granholm's years of destroying business and hemorrhaging money.

I would point out the state legislature never covered itself in glory either. Granholm sucked, but for drastically different reasons than the ones you suggest (though I believe we're highly ideologically opposed?).

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey, I just noticed in the OP. Delaware made a list!

WOOO!

But really, I gotta agree with Tox. There is no way that all the hispanics in this area got counted.

and I'm really curious what counts as 'Other'. Although, I guess the nanticoke Tribe might count for that?

lonelyahava on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Detroit is a disaster unto itself. I watched Robocop the other day and couldn't help thinking that reality had caught up with fiction.

I'll give ya a nickel.

A Canadian nickel.

Caveman Paws on
    edited December 2010
    Remember, you guys would get the Wings so maybe a Canadian team could win the Stanley Cup again. :P

enlightenedbum on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Trouble is if you do it too much you'll end up with cities with nobody to work them

nexuscrawler on
    edited December 2010

I'll give ya a nickel.

A Canadian nickel.

great

for the price of an american city I can be mildly annoyed when trying to do my laundry

nexuscrawler on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's sobering to see that about a fifth of the Senate represents parts of the country where nobody fucking lives.

Hachface on
    edited December 2010

I'll give ya a nickel.

A Canadian nickel.

Deal. And congratulations on your purchase of New West Windsor.

Detroiters probably wouldn't mind either. At least they'd get healthcare and the prospect of an educational system at some point in the future. Current (08/09) HS graduation rate in Detroit? Guess, then click the spoiler.

enc0re on
    edited December 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    It's sobering to see that about a fifth of the Senate represents parts of the country where nobody fucking lives.

This is why the Senate is useless

nexuscrawler on
    edited December 2010

Remember, 11% of the country can filibuster any legislation!

EDIT: By the previous census, I haven't checked the new math.

enlightenedbum on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Speaking of gainers, did you guys see this?

Baton Rouge boasts nation's most optimistic hiring forcast
    Employment services firm Manpower surveyed more than 18,000 employers in 100 metropolitan areas to find out who's hiring, who's firing and who plans to maintain their current staff levels. The survey revealed that the metropolitan area with the most optimistic forecast of all for hiring this winter is Baton Rouge, La.

Louisiana's capital tops the list this with an 18% net employment outlook, which is the percentage of employers who expect to add employees (22%) minus the percentage who expect to reduce their workforce (4%). Another 71% said they anticipated no change, and 3% didn't know.

"Over the last 24 months we have seen significant economic development in a lot of sectors," says Adam Knapp, president and chief executive officer of the Baton Rouge Area Chamber. "The region has been cited in various rankings over the past year for having one of the strongest growth economies." He says Baton Rouge stayed strong throughout the recession: "Unlike a lot of regions, the firms here aren't adding jobs now because they cut back during the economic downturn. We are adding to what we already had, and starting new firms entirely."

Baton Rouge is enjoying growth in digital media, biofuels and wood products and construction. Three hospitals are building new facilities, so new jobs are expected in health care too. The city won't be adding government jobs, though, as the state budget won't allow it.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/best-and-worst-cities-for-jobs-in-2011.html

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I know! We could have a legislative body where representation is determined by population instead.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I know! We could have a legislative body where representation is determined by population instead.

How could the people in NYC possible determine whats best for those South Dakota? Before you know it, only NY, TX, and CA will rule the land with their mighty population!

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    On the off chance you're not kidding, they don't dominate the House as it is. Party and ideology play a much stronger role in alliances than geographical proximity of districts, which is true in both houses.

Captain Carrot on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For shits and giggles I looked up where I was born in a fairly affluent suburbs of New York.

60% White
    35% Asian
    3% Hispanic
    2% Others
    0% Blacks

Hate to say it, but most of the places I would consider raising a family in New York are either majority White or Asian.

CygnusZ on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    For shits and giggles I looked up where I was born in a fairly affluent suburbs of New York.

60% White
    35% Asian
    3% Hispanic
    2% Others
    0% Blacks

Hate to say it, but most of the places I would consider raising a family in New York are either majority White or Asian.

white and asian incomes are on average much higher than black incomes and somewhat higher than hispanic

you wouldn't, for instance, want to raise your kids in south boston or rural arkansas, in spite of their delicious whiteness

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This thing will occupy the pollster portion of my brain for weeks.

Looking up areas I've gone door to door in is a hoot.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

60% White
    35% Asian
    3% Hispanic
    2% Others
    0% Blacks

white and asian incomes are on average much higher than black incomes and somewhat higher than hispanic

you wouldn't, for instance, want to raise your kids in south boston or rural arkansas, in spite of their delicious whiteness

Most of my friends come from South Boston and and a decent amount of them spent their entire lives there.

It's really not that bad. There are much worse neighborhoods and even suburbs where I wouldn't want to live.

The schools are even surprisingly good compared to what you'd expect.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited December 2010

Trouble is if you do it too much you'll end up with cities with nobody to work them

every great city needs its new jersey

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010

60% White
    35% Asian
    3% Hispanic
    2% Others
    0% Blacks

Most of my friends come from South Boston and and a decent amount of them spent their entire lives there.

It's really not that bad. There are much worse neighborhoods and even suburbs where I wouldn't want to live.

Well, yeah, it's still MA. Really, what you want to look out for is Springfield (or was it Somerville?).

Anyway, one thing the local media has been pointing out is that MA's population is still growing, just not as quickly as other places, and we're still top five for population density. Looking at the losers list, the presence of RI and NJ, the two states more dense than MA, seems to suggest that the slowed growth is due more to a lack of space than anything else, especially given that MA has weathered the financial crisis much better than other states.

agentk13 on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It's MA, even the worst public schools are better than good public schools in other states. We pretty much keep the US's international tests scores afloat.

But yeah South Boston's really not bad anymore, especially if you're, well, white.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited December 2010

The suburbs or jersey that are within easy commute of NYC rival Westchester and Long island in price.

nexuscrawler on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

The suburbs or jersey that are within easy commute of NYC rival Westchester and Long island in price.

You mean there are holes in the quarantine?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

How could the people in NYC possible determine whats best for those South Dakota? Before you know it, only NY, TX, and CA will rule the land with their mighty population!

That's what your state government is for. As far as the federal government goes, John Thune is a shithead representing 800,000 people and his vote cancels out my guy, Chuck Schumer, who represents 20,000,000+ people.

Fuck that shit.

Deebaser on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Jersey City appears to be rather cheap, holmes. Raz and I are considering it.

Deebaser on
    edited December 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

Jersey City appears to be rather cheap, holmes. Raz and I are considering it.

you can be my neighbor :P

nexuscrawler on
  • sszzishsszzish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Who are the 2500 people living in Central Park??

sszzish on
  • agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    sszzish wrote: »
    Who are the 2500 people living in Central Park??

Who do you think?

agentk13 on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

That's what your state government is for. As far as the federal government goes, John Thune is a shithead representing 800,000 people and his vote cancels out my guy, Chuck Schumer, who represents 20,000,000+ people.

Fuck that shit.
    It's never going to change. At least not without a new Constitutional convention.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship