As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Census 2010: The Data is In! US Population: 308,745,538

13»

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    sszzish wrote: »
    Who are the 2500 people living in Central Park??
    The census counts citizens.

Not just citizens with homes.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

The census actually counts every person who lives in the United States, not just citizens. In our census taker training, we were specifically told not to ask about citizenship, and if someone objected that they didn't have to fill out the survey because they were not citizens, we were instructed to tell them this.

Hachface on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

The census actually counts every person who lives in the United States, not just citizens. In our census taker training, we were specifically told not to ask about citizenship, and if someone objected that they didn't have to fill out the survey because they were not citizens, we were instructed to tell them this.
    Hmm. I was not aware of this.

Though it makes sense. People will be using services whether they are actually citizens or not.

Ironically, the census is one of the few things I haven't been employed as a canvasser for.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    For shits and giggles I looked up where I was born in a fairly affluent suburbs of New York.

60% White
    35% Asian
    3% Hispanic
    2% Others
    0% Blacks

Hate to say it, but most of the places I would consider raising a family in New York are either majority White or Asian.

white and asian incomes are on average much higher than black incomes and somewhat higher than hispanic

you wouldn't, for instance, want to raise your kids in south boston or rural arkansas, in spite of their delicious whiteness
    Southie still has a median household income of about 75-85K, 50-66% bachelors and 90-95% HS. I'd rather someone grow up there than pretty much anywhere in the South regardless of racial makeup.

My tract
    91% White
    5% Asian
    2% Blacks
    1% Hispanic
    1% Others

93/37/14 HS/Bach/Mast degrees
    Median income 96K

I live in a semi-well educated, fairly affluent and white-as-hell area.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    It's sobering to see that about a fifth of the Senate represents parts of the country where nobody fucking lives.

This is why the Senate is useless

I know! We could have a legislative body where representation is determined by population instead.

How could the people in NYC possible determine whats best for those South Dakota? Before you know it, only NY, TX, and CA will rule the land with their mighty population!

That's what your state government is for. As far as the federal government goes, John Thune is a shithead representing 800,000 people and his vote cancels out my guy, Chuck Schumer, who represents 20,000,000+ people.

Fuck that shit.

Then perhaps you should instead ask your 29 Representatives to out vote their 1.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited December 2010
    Anyone know where they get the home value data from? Either I underestimated the real estate crash or there are some problems with the data. Most of the country is 20%+ color. Any place anyone would want to live seems to have gained.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited December 2010
    It's sobering to see that about a fifth of the Senate represents parts of the country where nobody fucking lives.

This is why the Senate is useless

I know! We could have a legislative body where representation is determined by population instead.

How could the people in NYC possible determine whats best for those South Dakota? Before you know it, only NY, TX, and CA will rule the land with their mighty population!

That's what your state government is for. As far as the federal government goes, John Thune is a shithead representing 800,000 people and his vote cancels out my guy, Chuck Schumer, who represents 20,000,000+ people.

Fuck that shit.

Then perhaps you should instead ask your 29 Representatives to out vote their 1.

Thank goodness the House doesn't need the consent of the Senate to do anything.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My neighborhood scores:

33% White
    33% Hispanic
    24% Black
    6% Asian

Integration, can you dig it?

CycloneRanger on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My neighborhood scores:

33% White
    33% Hispanic
    24% Black
    6% Asian

Do you live on the set of Glee or something?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My neighborhood scores:

33% White
    33% Hispanic
    24% Black
    6% Asian

Outskirts of Denver.

CycloneRanger on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My neighborhood scores:

33% White
    33% Hispanic
    24% Black
    6% Asian

This made me laugh more than it should have.

I apparently live in some weird border place. My tract area and the surrounding areas are pretty similar within themselves, but vary pretty wildly from each other. More than I expected anyhow.

Bolthorn on
  • agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    The racial makeup of the city was 82.98% White, 4.41% African American, 0.16% Native American, 7.29% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 3.20% from other races, and 1.89% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.49% of the population.

I'm not sure if the Portuguese population counts as L/H.

agentk13 on
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, Oklahoma was looking spoty as usual. Tulsa County. Almost 586k. I knew we were getting up there in population.
    69% white, 11% black, 10% hispanic, 2% Asian, 9% other. Decent breakdown.

Cimmaron county is funny though, 2652 popluation. 77% white, 22% hispanic, 1% other.

Now if only I could get more bombardment from low orbit to clear out this hellhole of a state and maybe get it out of the dark ages.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I always knew my hometown of 5,000 people (35565 if anyone's curious) was extremely white, and if it wasn't for the sliver of a latino population it would be essentially all white, excluding my Indian family and one other black family.

Well, the final numbers came out to 96% white, 2% latino, and 2% other. As in 0% Asians and 0% Blacks. Guys, we're so insignificant they didn't even count us (unless my parents put "Other" instead)

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • JordanthehuttJordanthehutt Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I suggest everyone to go take a look at Milwaukee. Very interesting. I believe division is due to the gang activity in the 90s.

Jordanthehutt on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Seattle is so white. Northwest has so little diversity.

mrt144 on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Not as bad as like the Cascades all the way to Minnesota.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited December 2010

It's one of the things that people here trumpet like they're Union City or something. It's annoying and untrue.

mrt144 on
    edited December 2010

It's one of the things that people here trumpet like they're Union City or something. It's annoying and untrue.

That we're not as bad as Spokane, Idaho, Montana and North Dakota?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    interesting thing you can see in the east-coast cities where the block-by-block breakdown is done - the inner core of the cities are largely reasonably affluent and young, the ring outside that - the inner suburbs are quite poor and the outer suburbs very wealthy and older. i guess it's kind of like the rings of trees that you can track the different approaches we have had to cities over the past 60 years or so.

hopefully urban renewal will keep going strong and help pull up the quality of life in the inner suburbs.

Trouble is if you do it too much you'll end up with cities with nobody to work them

every great city needs its new jersey

The suburbs or jersey that are within easy commute of NYC rival Westchester and Long island in price.

Jersey City appears to be rather cheap, holmes. Raz and I are considering it.

Only thing with Jersey City is that you need to do a lot of legwork to get a feel for whatever neighborhood you wanna settle in. Theres a lot of gentrification going on due to spillover from Hoboken and the fact that since white flight is basically over there, a lot of people are figuring out it makes sense to live that close to NYC.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Very interesting maps! I wish something that detailled was avaible for Canada.

I have 2 ex GFs who are american and it's quite funny to see how totally different their neighbourhoods are.

One lives in a very multiethnic town, very high education level, very high income and housing prices. Many sectors have foreign born population over 40%. The other lives in a town that's over 90% white with low income and housing prices. The foreign born population is almost nill. Not many high school dropouts but it seems like most people stopped going to school afterwards. I think the only point in common their towns have is the very low percentage of same sex couples living together.

BTW, on that site when they refer to ''average rent price'' does that include mortages or only appartments?

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    agentk13 wrote: »
    The racial makeup of the city was 82.98% White, 4.41% African American, 0.16% Native American, 7.29% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 3.20% from other races, and 1.89% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.49% of the population.

I'm not sure if the Portuguese population counts as L/H.

strictly speaking, brazilians are latino but not hispanic and portuguese are neither.

my neighborhood is heavily portuguese.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited December 2010
    Hispanic implies some relation or ancestry with Spain. Latino just means you're from the mainland of Central and South America.

I've heard some people refer to Hispanic as mildly offensive in some countries but I'm not sure how true that is.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    But both the Spanish and Portuguese live on the land that was once part of Hispania.

Couscous on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    usually i've heard "hispanic" as meaning "spanish-speaking as a primary language"

so some filipinos are hispanic i guess. also spaniards.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited December 2010
    Man its almost like ethnic labels are this mass tangle of fishing wire that no one has a prayers of really sorting out.

I say we just all refer to them based on skin tone on a 1-10 scale. 10 being white since its the best of course.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Me and the GF just spent 30 minutes pouring over the map. This stuff is always so much fun.
    enc0re wrote: »
    Detroit is a disaster unto itself. I watched Robocop the other day and couldn't help thinking that reality had caught up with fiction.

I say we sell it to the Canadians.

Caught up? Shit, watching Robocop it's obvious the makers of that movie were far too optimistic.

In Robocop, rich people still live in Detroit and operate large corporations out of there.

shryke on
    edited December 2010

That we're on equal footing in terms of diversity with more diverse places. Why are you being this obtuse?

mrt144 on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't the northern Great Plains states have lots of reservations?

Captain Carrot on
    edited December 2010

That we're on equal footing in terms of diversity with more diverse places. Why are you being this obtuse?

If I seem obtuse it was only because your post made no sense to me.

No need to be rude in a thread discussing census results.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't the northern Great Plains states have lots of reservations?

I have a lot of reservations about the Great Plains states.

MKR on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I will say that, unlike most US cities, Seattle didn't look as divided along racial lines. There wasn't any specific "black" neighborhood or a "white" neighborhood or whatever

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png