As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeon Defenders] - Dungeon Defenders II: The Dungeoning coming soon! Free-to-play!

ebotasticebotastic Going GonzoIn People's HeartsRegistered User regular
edited March 2013 in Games and Technology
Dungeon Defenders II has been announced! Expect a free-to-play cooperative tower defense action roleplaying game like the original Dungeon Defenders along with a new, competitive MOBA mode. Here's the multiplayer reveal trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ORJEUpcy90?rel=0

And some cooperative pre-alpha reveal footage, released Friday 3/22:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=614yUkKlof8

Dungeon Defenders info, last updated November:
Dungeon Defenders[/SIZE]
Play Dungeon Defenders as your favorite Penny Arcade characters!
PAXpic.png

Dungeon Defenders on Steam on sale for $3.74 and Shards DLC for $3.24 until 1 PM EDT Thursday, November 1st. All other DLC, the 4-pack, and collector's edition also 75% off.

Join the Penny Arcade Dungeon Defenders Steam group then play with us.
If that's too much trouble, log into the Penny Arcade Steam Group chat at steam://friends/joinchat/103582791429521528 and see if anyone wants to play.

• What's New? •

What's this above the YouTube video? Why it's the FREE Anniversary DLC pack! Get it before October 31st!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnoSd8Sx9_s

The Jester DLC pack, $3.99, released August 28th, includes the Jester hero, GameLand Campaign mission, 'The Fool' Jester costume, and 4 new weapons!

The Quest for the Lost Eternia Shards Pt. IV DLC is $3.99 in the Steam store separately or [STRIKE]$12.99[/STRIKE] $12.99 as part of the complete Shards DLC. Explore the last installment of the Quest for the Lost Eternia Shards with 2 new campaign missions, one taking place in Sky City and the other inside an Eternia crystal itself!

Accompanying Shards IV is patch 7.38, highlights of which include:
• Level cap raised from 83 to 90
• New, "Ultimate" loot
• Steam workshop integration
• Improved search filter capabilities

The DunDef Digest for 7/10/12. Inside: The real Tavern Keep Chronicles Pt. 3, a beta sneak peek into Shards 4, and an updated community calendar.

The DunDef Digest for 7/4/12. Tavern Keep Chronicles Pt. 3, a bigger teaser for the Jester, hints about Shards IV, the winner of the map contest, and more!
jester_3D.jpg

Sometimes current and mostly past PC patch notes.
Upcoming and sometimes current patch notes.

• What's not so New? •
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YhxVX6pIS0

Also:

Patch 7.30 - features include Aquanos, a level 83 level cap, accessories, the Transcendent Survivalist Achievement & Jetpacking Bounty Hunter Costume.

DunDef Digest for 6/27/12. With the second installment of the Tavernkeep Chronicles, a detailed look at Sky City and patch 7.38, Meet the Trendy Team: lead concept artist Danny Araya, and more!

DunDef Digest for 6/20/12. Tavernkeep Chronicles Pt 1. Sneak Peek at the Jester. Shards IV puzzle, map contest voting, and more!

Check out the DunDef Digest for 6/13/12. Shards IV, a foxy Sky Captain skin for the initiate, and Steam Workshop integration due out July 10th. Plus much more!

Check out the DunDef Digest for 5/30/12. Inside is a sneak peek at Talay, the Summoner's Demoness costume, and the fourth(and last) installment of the Lost Eternia Shards pack.

Check out the DunDef Digest for 5/23/12! With what you can expect when you play the summoner, a look at the Demoness costume for the Summoner coming with the next mission pack, the Talay Mining Complex. Trendy is teaming up with Because We May and putting DD on sale from the 24th to the 1st. Be sure to read up on the community events!

DunDef Digest 5/16/12, focusing on background info on how the Summoner came to be.

Check out the DunDef Digest for 5/9/12! It includes new information on the Summoner coming out on the 23rd, an interview with Trendy level designers Morgan Roberts and Ben Burkart, the community calendar, an update from the beta team with a short video on the map contest, and a map contest spotlight on 'The Manor'!

Check out the DunDef Digest for 5/2/12! It includes a sneak peek at the Summoner class and console news. Also inside are details on free copies of Dungeon Defenders for IGN Prime members, and DLC codes for people who submit guides to the DD Wiki.

Check out the new DunDef Digest for 4/25/12! A closer look at Aquanos, accessories, console news, vote for the next costume, and more!

Check out the new DunDef Digest for 4/19/12! You could win $1,000 in the Map Making Contest. Eternia Shards part 3 comes out Thursday, April 26th, along with accessories with which to customize your characters further. There's also a hetpacking version of the Bounty Hunter costume, earned with the Transcendent Survivalist Achievement. Hitmonchan's hosting a Battle Royale for PC players. And much more!

Check out the new DunDef Digest for 4/11/12! Featuring info on the next chapter of the Lost Eternia Shards saga, the next character class, a new map which includes a new pet and a male bounty skin for Series EV, and last, but not least, pictures from PAX! Including yours truly putting Ridiculously Photogenic Guy to shame. Here's a closer look at the drawing Bear is Driving received, and a closer look at mine

Need some help? Here's some advice from the community(mostly from Hahnsoo!):
Other community links:
What is this game?
Released October 19th, 2011, Dungeon Defenders is a cooperative, action role-playing tower defense game. You'll take the role of one of a team of four(Or more!) heroes defending an Eternia Crystal from waves of monsters. The basic premise of the game is kill waves of monsters with towers, traps, auras, and weapons, get experience and loot, level up your character, level up/trade your character's weapons and familiars, and fight harder monsters in harder dungeons for more experience and better weapons.

TotalBiscuit has an hour long "WTF is... Dungeon Defenders?" review on YouTube:

What's the story?
Long Ago, Etheria was once a land of living legends… Throughout the ages, brave warriors across the realm stood together against the forces of evil, led by immortal beings known as the Old Ones… After a titanic struggle, these champions locked away the power of the Old Ones, inside Eternia Crystals…These legendary heroes have recently left their younger kin in charge of the common castle chores… Bored with their dreary duties, the inexperienced pupils decide to play… And accidentally unleash an ancient force that has long been dormant!

Where can I get it?
PC:
Dungeon Defenders is $15 on
Amazon
Direct2Drive
GamersGate with a $44.97 four pack
Impulse
Steam, with a $44.99 four pack.

Dungeon Defenders activates on Steam regardless of source. The Steam exclusive Familiars are available only by ordering DD through Steam.

Mobile:
Dungeon Defenders: Second Wave $3 at the Apple store. For iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), or iPad. Requires iOS 3.2 or later. Dungeon Defenders will not work with the 8gb iPod touch 3rd gen.

Dungeon Defenders: Second Wave $FREE in the Android Marketplace. Basic requirements to play DD:FW on an Android phone: 512MB RAM, GPU capable of supporting OpenGL ES 2.0, Android 2.1+, 800MHz CPU or greater (Recommended), MicroSD Card with a minimum 600MB free space. Manual Android download from Dungeondefenders.com.

If you have heroes on mobile devices you can port them to PC by using the guide Decoy found.

DLC
April 26th on PC[/URL]
The Quest for the Lost Eternia Shards Pt. 3 - Aquanos DLC, $3.99 or part of the Lost Eternia Shards pack.
What's inside: The Quest for the Lost Eternia Shards: Part 3 Campaign Mission
Riddle of the Deep Challenge Mission
Shipwreck Graveyard PvP Battleground
Shipwreck Graveyard Uber Monster Fest 8-player co-op Challenge
Sharken Enemy
Kraken Boss
10 brand-new themed weapons
1 brand-new pet with special abilities
Mermaid Countess Hero Outfit

April 13th on PC
City in the Cliffs mission pack, $1.99. Includes "City in the Cliffs" 6-player campaign map, "Über Death From Above" 6-player Challenge, the earnable Bounty Hunter Series EV costume, an earnable djinnlet pet and, of course, new loot.

April 5th on PC
Penny Arcade Character Pack, $1.99. Use these new skins to play as Tycho with the squire, Cardboard Tube Samurai with the monk, Annarchy with the huntress, and Jim Darkmagic with the apprentice.

March 29th on PC
Series EV new playable hero, $3.99. Play as Series EV, and utilize new towers and abilities, including the ability to dual-wield both apprentice and huntress weapons!

March 23rd on PC
Karathiki Jungle Pack, $1.99 separately, but also part of the Eternia Shards pack. In the Karathiki Jungle Pack, you get the 6-player Tower Defense Karathiki Jungle map, the Rumble in the Jungle challenge, the Cowboy Monkey pet, Amazon Female Barbarian costume, and all new items.

March 16th on PC
Lucky Costume pack, $0.99. It contains four new community-voted player costumes - TrapGirl Costume for the Huntress, Steampunk Costume for the Adept, Leprechaun Costume for the Apprentice, and Scottish Warrior Costume for the Barbarian

March 15th on PC
Quest for the Lost Eternia Shards Part 2: Moraggo Desert Town, $3.99 separately, but also part of the Eternia Shards pack. In the Moraggo Desert Town you'll fight the Genie King and his Djinns, which now appear in the rest of the game.

February 20th on PC
Presidents Day Battle Royale, $1.99. Step into the ring and fight friend and foe to unlock a new donkey or elephant pet and new costumes for the four base heroes.

February 14th on PC
Etherian Festival of Love, $1.99. Play as cupid and match make true love. Unlock a goblin cupid pet, a new crystal, and various new costumes.

February 1st on PC
Barbarian Hero new playable hero, $2.99. Play as the Barbarian, a dual-wielding hero with combat stances, instead of towers, which grant various capabilities.

December 15th on PC and December 21st on consoles
Quest for the Lost Eternia Shards, 4 parts for $3.99 each, or $12.99. Key features include new level caps, nightmare dificulty, mythical quality items, new weapons, new maps. See IGN's interview with Jeremy Stieglitz for more details.

Nov 23rd, 2011
New Heroes, $4.99. Contains gender-swapped versions of the four base classes and an all new 8-player PvE challenge mission: Uber Monster Fest.

The Great Turkey Hunt, free for Thanksgiving but now $1.99. Contains a special turkey hunt mission that yields costumes for the four base classes as rewards.

Warping Core Challenge Mission Pack. Contains four mission challenges which reward special 'Zamira' armor.

Nov 11th, 2011
Halloween Mission Pack, $1.99. Contains the Halloween Spooktackular Challenge, with 8 unique weapon drops and alternate costumes.

Halloween Costume Pack, $0.99. Contains one alternate costume for each of the four base classes.

Capture the Flag Pre-Alpha, $FREE. PvP, 2 teams of 8 players compete for longest possession of the flag.

Dungeon Defenders Development Kit (DDDK), $FREE. Tools to modify DD content and add or create new content.

What should I expect in the future?
Both paid(but cheap) and free DLC in the form of weapons, dungeons, and classes. Trendy Entertainment expects to have a new class out a month for a year after release, for a total of 16 classes. Expected classed include Jester, Summoner, and possibly Ninja, Engineer, Necromancer, and Beastmaster.

All gameplay code & source content is available as the DDDK for the PC version, which means good opportunity for community-made mods.

Reviews:
Links:
Apple store product page.
Android Marketplace product page.
Amazon product page.
Impulse product page.
GamersGate product page.
Direct2Drive product page.
Steam product page.

Please, call me ebo.
ebotastic on

• ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is my first thread and first OP ever, so I hope I'm doing the game justice and can muster up some anticipation out of you fellows.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Can't wait to get this game.

Valleo on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am excited for this game!

Had no idea it was cross platform, nor did I know it lacked PvP. Still excited!

Do we know how many players it supports?

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You got Action in my RTS. And that means I want it.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited December 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »

From 1 to 4. So it's possible to have up to 3 of your friends playing with you.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I have this on the iPad and beat the first "Level" (Group of four or so levels, broken up between build and attack phases).

I am loving it - wish you could zoom out further though to get a better idea of what was happening. Also it's easy to get turned around on the iPad version and not know where you are.

I am def. getting this on the PS3... I think my wife and her group of friends are going to latch onto this like the Puzzle Quest addiction that hit a few years ago.

It really is an awesome mix of TD and button masher rpg.

useless4 on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Still not out yet? Waiting for Steam to activate it after I got it for free but the release date keeps getting pushed back (at least, last time I checked in november) :(

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited December 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Still not out yet? Waiting for Steam to activate it after I got it for free but the release date keeps getting pushed back (at least, last time I checked in november) :(

Yeah, I linked to the official "Game is delayed thread" in the OP. Though Trendy didn't outright state it, the consensus is Microsoft, probably because of their game approval process, won't let DD be released until mid-January and requires a simultaneous launch with PS3/PC versions to be on the 360 at all.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's a pity this game didn't arrive on time for the sales. But anyway this way we will be able to give it the attention it deserves later next year.

HiT BiT on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am way hyped for this but retailer specific familiars that are PC only anyway really kills my enthusiasm.

Still...
    Necromancer <3

Magic Pink on
    edited December 2010
    ebotastic wrote: »

And split screen co-op as well yes?

Magic Pink on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    $10? Eh I'll probably get it. Not a fan of the graphic style, but whatevers. Might get it for the droid (evo 4g) just to see how it'd play on a phone.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited December 2010
    Jeeze, every video of this I watch just makes me spooge like crazy. I swear it's almost my perfect game.

Magic Pink on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    More games need to be cross-platform playable.

subedii on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm looking forward to getting this once they decide to release it on Steam.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited December 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    ebotastic wrote: »

And split screen co-op as well yes?

Yes, 4-player split screen on the 360, PC, and PS3. Though no split screen on the mobile devices, obviously.

The video demonstrating the cross-platform gaming has been pulled because there it showed a yet-unreleased Tegra 2 device. Nice. Now I gotta remove that from the OP.

Also, there's a thread on the confirmed changes coming in the Android build on the 23rd and in a patch for the iOS build on Jan. 2nd:
    Raised Max Item level to 15, and Max Hero Level to 70
    *Eliminated low cap on Speed stat and changed how the results of this stat are calculated
    *INSANE Difficulty is much, much harder (and so is HARD)... good luck
    *Rebalanced item drops to make super items harder to get
    *Fixed some levelling & item farming exploits
    *Adding GameSpy for multi-platform iOS-Android gameplay! And PC gameplay with Dungeon Defenders when that product launches. GameSpy supports Private Matches, Game Naming, Game Browsing, and an array of search filters.
    *GameCenter support for private matches, and fixes for Inviting
    *Better voice chat stability
    *Many GameCenter & iOS crashes eliminated
    *iOS 4.1 support
    *Various new item drop types
    *Big performance boost due to media optimization, and some code optimization
    *Various gameplay tweaks for a better balance
    *New Tutorial video explains the game in a minute, by default replacing the former interactive tutorial (though that's left in as an option)
    *Performance scaling option for iOS, user can now reduce resolution and detail to further increase performance even more as they see fit
    *Replaced on-screen Pause button with Character button which allows fast-healing, moved Pause button into character submenu
    *Rebalanced item value ramp so that super-items don't sell for ridiculous amounts
    *A brand new Campaign level & Challenge mission created specifically for high-level hero teams... because we appreciate the support of you hardcore defenders
    * Lots of minor bug fixes and game tweaks too numerous to list here... (among the many, Targeting Dummies now print DPS as you're attacking them)
    * Familiars re-added to iOS version
    ** Items now have a level requirement based on their quality, and also tell you which class is necessary to use them in the popup overlay

Updated the OP, including info on split-screen, patch notes, and a link to the Trendy Entertainment YouTube channel with 6 total DD videos.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
    edited December 2010
    Oh good grief... this thing is gonna use GameSpy? :(

Arikado on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I demand split screen on my Android phone.

OUTRAGOUS

EDIT: Oh christ, gamespy :(

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited December 2010
    it's the 23rd why isn't this out on droid yet

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This sounds like a mix of Diablo 2 and Tower Defense. Is that pretty accurate?

JihadJesus on
    edited December 2010
    I would say from my brief play of both more like Castle Crashers meets the weapons/equipment stats and simplicity of Puzzle Quest 2 meets tower defense.

useless4 on
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think a lot of ppl are thinking the same thing Pika, their site is running like a dog at the moment.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    edited December 2010
    DD:FW's out for Android! Trendy's published a new list of suggested Android devices on their news pages in .pdf format.

They also posted a preview of Dungeon Defenders: Arena.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC1Y5c218JA

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
    edited December 2010
    I'm not really happy with how the camera is in this game. It doesn't seem like there's any way to make it zoom out a bit more.

Arikado on
    edited December 2010
    FUCKING FINALLY

a merry christmas indeed

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited December 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    I'm not really happy with how the camera is in this game. It doesn't seem like there's any way to make it zoom out a bit more.

Ok cool it wasn't just me then.

Let's hope it gets patched in. Seems simple enough.

useless4 on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Finally!

Quality games that doesn't require a multi-million dollar budget to make! Quality games at bargain prices!

Hopefully this'll be the sign of a new era of gaming!

Though, it would be awesome if they can get this cross platform technology to work with stuff like MMO's and what not. Maybe play the 'real' mmo on the PC, and play mini games that'll contribute towards the 'real' mmo.

Hell, this can lead towards an immense amount of innovation. Fucking .Hack might become real....

Casually Hardcore on
    edited December 2010
    that'd be nice. japan's been doing stuff like that for years though.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well Japan is in their own little dimension where innovation is like 20 years ahead from the rest of the world.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited December 2010
    so anyone want to play or something?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited December 2010
    My Samsung Vibrant seems to handle this game without problems except sometimes the loading freezes to the point where I have to exit the game.

Arikado on
    edited December 2010
    Dear indie game designers,

KEEP THE FUCKING CAMERA POINTING AT THE SAME DAMN ANGLE IF YOU"RE GOING TO USE ISOMETRIC VIEWPOINT!

There is no reason why I keep getting lost like this....

I mean, holy shit, the camera rotates around the character like no others business.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited December 2010
    hm yeah. game's pretty fun but i dunno.

i think i'll wait til steam version to play it again. i like my giant screens.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • niktheniknikthenik Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nice game I like it but hot damn seems like my thumbs are waaaaay to big do play this on my HTC Desire :/

nikthenik on
    fullmetalnik.png
  • ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Once you get around the initial interface, this game is pretty rad. Totally have to go fingertips on my Nexus 1 though. My giant thumbs blot out too much of the screen.

Paradiso on
    edited December 2010
    So essentially playing the monk in single player is like the game laughing at you.

Arikado on
    edited December 2010
    Huh? I like monk. What's wrong with it?

Mainly he has infinite firebolts and a strong ass melee. Melee the wimps, and kite firebolt the big guys. Lighting aura near a squire's anything for a lot of killing

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited December 2010
    I dunno, once I got to the 4th stage I found the monk very lacking no matter how I set up the auras.

Arikado on
    edited December 2010
    oh ok i'm only at 3rd stage but i always play multiplayer

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So wait, once I get this on PC I'll be able to play with people on iOS and Android phones? That's pretty fucking cool! :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.