As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What stuff are you making?

LemmingLemming Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
This thread is for things you are making or want to make. I'm copying it from the Christmas forum because I posted it right as it was on its way out :V

Earlier I was messing around with a small motor I found in my basement, just a small hobby one, I think it used to be in some tiny car thing. Anyway I was getting frustrated because I was trying to get it to move at different speeds depending on how much current I gave it, but it was pretty much an either on or off dealie, with not enough current it wouldn't move, with enough it moved at max speed. I did some more research and it looks like for doing torque control (which is what I want to do) stepper motors work better, especially at low speeds, and the application I'm interested in is either zero or low speeds, so that's neat.

I bought an arduino online last night, which is basically a fancy microcontroller that has a pretty large homebrew/open source community so it's easy to use, so now I'm looking up how to interface it with a stepper motor so I can control it directly. Apparently there are "shields" you can buy, which is a fancy way of saying something you can plug the arduino into and you can do everything you want to just from the software, but I'd like to make my own.

I'm also taking a mechatronics course next semester, and the point is to make a sumo wrestling robot that pushes other robots out of a ring. I don't really care about the autonomous part but the rest of making robots is cool and I hope to learn a lot from it.

The point of all this is something I've been thinking about doing for a while, which is making a robotic hand (or finger to start out with) that connects to a force-feedback glove you could wear, so you can control it directly. I'm a junior mechanical engineer right now, so I think that's going to be my senior project, and I'd like to get working on it sooner to see how feasible it would be to actually do. The cool thing I'm thinking about doing is that the robot hand wouldn't need any sensors; if you did the control right on the stepper motors, and had potentiometers that were on the joints, you could determine all the forces on the hand, and relate that back to the gloved hand, and since you have all the torques, the system is totally defined, so you don't need any messy force sensors or anything.

What cool stuff are you guys doing?

Edit: A super neat site for doing stuff is instructables: http://www.instructables.com/

There are guides for making all kinds of stuff, including a fusion reactor. Seriously. http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-A-Fusion-Reactor/

Lemming on

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am inclined to post this again:

Instructibles

How-to guides to making your wildest dreams come true.

Also, paper beads and stuff.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I am inclined to post this again:

Instructibles

How-to guides to making your wildest dreams come true.

Also, paper beads and stuff.

I should probably just put this in the op

Lemming on
    edited December 2010
    I am thinking about making An Invisible Bookshelf.

invisiblebookshelf.jpg

It seems pretty easy and looks like a unique decorating idea.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    If it counts I helped my dad build an extension to their house this past summer.

With wood and nails and screws and hammers and saws and powertools and shit.

What what.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited December 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    If it counts I helped my dad build an extension to their house this past summer.

With wood and nails and screws and hammers and saws and powertools and shit.

What what.

I've been doing construction work every summer for the past... five years. I totally empathize, that shit sucks.

Lemming on
    edited December 2010
    I thought this was actually very much okay compared to the usual summer help I provide. Mostly working on engines and stuff where everything needs to be way precise and then never works in the end anyway.

When building this thing we could be more like, saw off here. HAMMER SEVERAL TIMES HERE! Voila 10% of a wall.

So it was pretty fun, if I had to do it all over again next summer it would probably have lost its charm though.

Honk on
    edited December 2010
    It was pretty cool using a pneumatic thing for cutting away concrete, that tool did not compromise at all.

Honk on
  • ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    vac_chamber.jpg

Much of the stuff here I helped design and build (although I didn't do any of the machining myself).

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
    edited December 2010
    That is awesome.

What is it? A vacuum chamber? What's it for?

Edit: I see the word "beam" I can only assume lasers are involved.

Lemming on
    edited December 2010
    Is it a doomsday machine?

Honk on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gunpowder Actuated Nailer

Coolest tool ever? Yes, I think so.

I love using these. I look for excuses to use these instead of hammer drills and Tapcons.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited December 2010
    Lemming wrote: »
    That is awesome.

Yeah it's a open vacuum chamber (the top portion is off). It's primarily for shooting big lasers at things and seeing what happens. There's quite a neat 6-axis stage inside as well. Pretty small vacuum chamber really for that sort of thing, they can go up to 10m in diameter.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
    edited December 2010
    These look like a good project after I make that bookshelf:

FRJACJAG8HNHXPY.jpg

Edit: You guys make me feel inferior.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Coldred wrote: »
    That is awesome.

Yeah it's a open vacuum chamber (the top portion is off). It's primarily for shooting big lasers at things and seeing what happens. There's quite a neat 6-axis stage inside as well. Pretty small vacuum chamber really for that sort of thing, they can go up to 10m in diameter.

How do I get your job?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I make music if that counts. This is what I've been working on this weekend.
    164167_473488176501_675636501_6333453_117852_n.jpg

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited December 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    That is awesome.

How do I get your job?

Start doing a PhD in Plasma Physics.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
    edited December 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    That is awesome.

How do I get your job?

Start doing a PhD in Plasma Physics.

D:

Pass.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I made some bath salts for people's Christmas presents. I added varying amounts of dye to make them have a nice little gradient and then put them in fancy jars.

This is the very limit of my craftyness. Except for the type of craft that involves lies and theft.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I am thinking about making An Invisible Bookshelf.

invisiblebookshelf.jpg

It seems pretty easy and looks like a unique decorating idea.

Mind blown.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Now I want to build an invisible ceiling two feet below my actual ceiling and put some bricks and swords and things up there.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    cool thread idea!

I am definitely what could be classified as a "maker" though I would usually use the term "production artist" or "fabricator" depending on the situation. I just like to make stuff.

I am an avid knitter and I have a lot of experience teaching it.
    I also teach mold making and casting for sculptors at my day job so I know a good bit about that as well if people have questions.

at this exact moment, I am knitting a hat for a coworker... the only infotmation i have been given is "burgundy" so I hope what I've got will suffice.

tapeslinger on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am finishing up a new scarf/shawl thing. Just finished a scarf for the boyfriend.

And now might consider starting on a new blanket for the new bed.

But I don't think that's going to happen.

lonelyahava on
    edited December 2010
    cool thread idea!

I am definitely what could be classified as a "maker" though I would usually use the term "production artist" or "fabricator" depending on the situation. I just like to make stuff.

I also teach mold making and casting for sculptors at my day job so I know a good bit about that as well if people have questions.

at this exact moment, I am knitting a hat for a coworker... the only infotmation i have been given is "burgundy" so I hope what I've got will suffice.

What kind of molds? A few summers ago some of my friends and I made a small foundry for melting aluminum in my backyard. I'd like to start that up again if I have time over the summer, casting stuff in sand with aluminum is pretty awesome.

Lemming on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lemming, this is a silly thread. Don't you just make sentries and zealots?

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    edited December 2010
    Eddy wrote: »
    Lemming, this is a silly thread. Don't you just make sentries and zealots?

The best build order is zealots -> carriers, but don't tell anyone my secret

Lemming on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My girlfriend is a knitting machine. She got into it to make Harry Potter scarves, but has gotten more and more involved in it.

Personally, I've been getting involved in wood shaping. I want to eventually get good enough to make an instrument.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    cool thread idea!

What kind of molds? A few summers ago some of my friends and I made a small foundry for melting aluminum in my backyard. I'd like to start that up again if I have time over the summer, casting stuff in sand with aluminum is pretty awesome.

I do consulting for all sorts of moldmaking, and at my job we sell foundry waxes and stuff for "burn-out" moldmaking.
    most of my personal mold making is silicone rubber molds from sculpts I've done in clay or Castilene Wax, and then I cast in urethane resin. I also do some jewelry in the same fashion-- I collect vintage lucite rings and re-cast them in different colors.

tapeslinger on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am making a pen and paper roleplaying game that exists as a basic set of rulebooks with supplement books that provide narratives and new settings and stuff. I hope I finish it someday. It's a shitload of work.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited December 2010
    I am making a pen and paper roleplaying game that exists as a basic set of rulebooks with supplement books that provide narratives and new settings and stuff. I hope I finish it someday. It's a shitload of work.

this sounds like a cool project. how far along are you with it?

tapeslinger on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    i make my own holsters

Organichu on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

this sounds like a cool project. how far along are you with it?

As it stands now, I probably have half the first book done in my notes, and most of the game's mechanics I am happy with.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I made a prototype of a question type classification system in C# based on an idea I came up with during my PhD, and now I'm writing a conference paper about it. Does that count?

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited December 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    I made a prototype of a question type classification system in C# based on an idea I came up with during my PhD, and now I'm writing a conference paper about it. Does that count?

What does that mean? A way of trying to get a program to understand questions?

Lemming on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

If we're including stuff like that then I've made an electrical sensor for saccharides. It is very expensive to produce and has bugger all sensitivity.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited December 2010

Basically, yeah, a way to get a program to understand the type of question (like, are you asking about a person, a place, a date, etc.). I've also made a program to understand the subject of questions. Once I combine them, I'll have a complete question understanding system.

Then I'll be one step closer to my ultimate goal of taking over the world.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited December 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

If we're including stuff like that then I've made an electrical sensor for saccharides. It is very expensive to produce and has bugger all sensitivity.

How did you make it and how did it work? I assume you wouldn't just lick things.

Lemming on
    edited December 2010

Basically, yeah, a way to get a program to understand the type of question (like, are you asking about a person, a place, a date, etc.). I've also made a program to understand the subject of questions. Once I combine them, I'll have a complete question understanding system.

Then I'll be one step closer to my ultimate goal of taking over the world.

Wow, that sounds really cool. Can you explain in retard terms how it works? Could you apply something like that to commands?

Lemming on
    edited December 2010
    Wow, that sounds really cool. Can you explain in retard terms how it works? Could you apply something like that to commands?
    Well there are many, many ways of doing question type classification. Some people use Bayesian probabilities, keyword detection and classification, or simply the question word (who, what, where, etc.).
    My preferred method is designing rules that represent the syntactic structure of queries of each type. My key innovation is in parallel, designing a hierarchy of language that allows me to mathematically measure and compare words and sentences. When I use it for question type classification, it becomes possible to compare queries and rules and to match queries to rules that are more similar, rather than look for exact matches like in other systems. So my system works well with only 14 rules, instead of literally hundreds in systems that need to find exact matches. I can also use it to learn new rules by finding the similar parts of different queries of a same type.

EDIT: You could apply it to commands I guess, but my focus is really on plain English questions of the type a human would ask to another human. I want the computer to understand English like a normal person would.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited December 2010

How did you make it and how did it work? I assume you wouldn't just lick things.

No, as it's an electrical sensor. And tongues are not electronic devices.

So:
    Transistors have three contacts, current flows between the source and drain. You modulate this current by applying a voltage to the gate contact. So it's a switch.

I work on a fairly novel semiconductor rather than silicon. My device also didn't have a gate, instead I stuck down some long carbon chains with a terminal set of groups that interact strongly with monosaccharides. So in the presence of sugar, the charge distribution along the molecule changes which is effectively a voltage change at the gate contact, so you see a change in the current between source and gate.

It took me over three years to do that.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited December 2010
    Well there are many, many ways of doing question type classification. Some people use Bayesian probabilities, keyword detection and classification, or simply the question word (who, what, where, etc.).
    My preferred method is designing rules that represent the syntactic structure of queries of each type. My key innovation is in parallel, designing a hierarchy of language that allows me to mathematically measure and compare words and sentences. When I use it for question type classification, it becomes possible to compare queries and rules and to match queries to rules that are more similar, rather than look for exact matches like in other systems. So my system works well with only 14 rules, instead of literally hundreds in systems that need to find exact matches. I can also use it to learn new rules by finding the similar parts of different queries of a same type.

EDIT: You could apply it to commands I guess, but my focus is really on plain English questions of the type a human would ask to another human. I want the computer to understand English like a normal person would.

That sounds pretty neat. If I understand you right, you're saying that you have rules that define the structure of common questions, and then break down a question asked into what types of questions it's similar to, and then go from there.

So then if I asked the question "Why is the sky blue?" how would that get "understood" by the machine? Like what kind of data would that get turned into?

No, as it's an electrical sensor. And tongues are not electronic devices.

So:
    Transistors have three contacts, current flows between the source and drain. You modulate this current by applying a voltage to the gate contact. So it's a switch.

I work on a fairly novel semiconductor rather than silicon. My device also didn't have a gate, instead I stuck down some long carbon chains with a terminal set of groups that interact strongly with monosaccharides. So in the presence of sugar, the charge distribution along the molecule changes which is effectively a voltage change at the gate contact, so you see a change in the current between source and gate.

It took me over three years to do that.

Hey man, tongues are totally electronic devices! It also sounds like they work similar to the way you made your thingy; when the taste buds come into contact with certain compounds, it induces a charge in a neuron which causes it to spike, and depending on what combinations of taste buds fire and how much of a certain type fire you get taste, and it sounds like your method is that, when in the presence of sufficient monosaccharides, then the gate opens and charge runs through. To increase the sensitivity, could you do something like make it take only a small amount of molecules to cause the gate to open, then put a bunch of gates in the solution, then depending on how many gates open you know roughly what the concentration must be? This would probably only work for very low concentrations, though.

Lemming on