As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Dim Sum outing

mad_typistmad_typist Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
So, who's up for a group dim sum outing this year? For those who aren't familiar with dim sum, it's essentially Chinese brunch, served family style. All the food is a la carte - literally, as in it comes around on little carts and you order one or more baskets of different dumplings, noodles, sticky rice, etc.

Post here if you are interested. I'm thinking Sunday morning, at China Pearl like last year.

UPDATED NOW WITH DETAILS:

9 Tyler Street
Boston, MA 02111
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=china+pearl+boston&fb=1&gl=us&hq=china+pearl&hnear=Boston,+MA&cid=996851611285926399

Date/Time:
Sunday, 10:00am - this is now confirmed.

RSVP list
The following people are confirmed. Please post and let me know if you need to be added to this list or if you are canceling.
Mad_typist + 6
bjeffreyvidt
Gewurztramin + 1
Krissta + 5
lxg5810
trinistand
Loweryi + 5
MelesMeles
Lindsey Lohan
Trion
Gamervoid + 1
tripleholic + 3
MasterPhu

TOTAL SO FAR: 33 - Reservation has been made for this list of people.

Where do I meet you?
I'll collect a group about 40 minutes prior in the lobby of the Westin (the one attached to the convention center). You can either meet up with us there, or just meet us at the restaurant. The group will head out to the restaurant NLT 9:30am - if you are late, you'll have to catch up with us at the restaurant. According to Google Maps, the restaurant is a 20 minute walk from the convention center. We may or may not order some cabs to ferry us over, but we'll decide that the day of, once we get a look at the weather.

How do I get in touch with you?
You can catch me on Twitter @mad_typist or you can email me at mad_typist[at]yahoo[dot]com

Here's how we did it last year:

- Food comes off the carts only, no menus

- Family style dining. This allows everyone to try a wider range of items and experiment with new kinds of food without having to purchase a whole plate on their own

- Everyone agrees not to be a dick by ordering some ridiculously expensive booze or whatever, throwing off the overall bill.

- The table splits the check evenly at the end.

Last year the bill was $18 per person. Bring lots of dollar bills, both to more easily pay your share and to make it rain.

mad_typist on

• Options
    ParagonAlleyParagonAlley Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We'll be there!

ParagonAlley on
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yum yum yummmm. I may be in.

China Pearl is the smallest of the dim sum venues in Boston, though. Good dim sum, just the smallest amount of space of all the big dim sum venues.

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    shadowshipshadowship Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    sounds interesting. I think i'm definitely up for it.

shadowship on
  • Options
    NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dim Sum is the best; depending on when I arrive in Boston, I would definitely be up for this!

Nullthread on
  • Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mad_typist wrote: »
    I'm thinking Sunday morning, at China Pearl like last year.

Hey there mad. I'm up for a repeat of last time. Yum!

Trion on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    juju wrote: »
    Yum yum yummmm. I may be in.

China Pearl is the smallest of the dim sum venues in Boston, though. Good dim sum, just the smallest amount of space of all the big dim sum venues.

It's bigger than you think - there's a whole second floor to the place. In any case, it's the best dim sum in Boston, so that's the joint I'll be going to.

Besides, it's not dim sum if I can't force some yummy snails on people :D

Hey Trion - looking forward to seeing you again at dim sum this year!

mad_typist on
  • Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Likewise. :)

Trion on
  • Options
    KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hubby and I have been dying to try dim sum. We never want to make the trek down to Boston just to do it, but if we do stay in a hotel for the three days, I will definitely want to do this! :)

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll probable be there, just a matter of when it is and if it conflicts with anything.

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • Options
    SerpengSerpeng Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I've always been a fan of Empire garden myself, but I'm down for going to Dim Sum anywhere.

Serpeng on
  • Options
    bostonwallacebostonwallace Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just a suggestion but if you end up needing more space, there's this unreal place in chinatown that is a dim sum restaurant in an old theater...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/empire-garden-restaurant-boston-2

bostonwallace on
  • Options
    KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just a suggestion but if you end up needing more space, there's this unreal place in chinatown that is a dim sum restaurant in an old theater...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/empire-garden-restaurant-boston-2

Wow! That place looks fantastic!! :)

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's bigger than you think - there's a whole second floor to the place. In any case, it's the best dim sum in Boston, so that's the joint I'll be going to.

Besides, it's not dim sum if I can't force some yummy snails on people :D

Empire Garden (Emperor's Garden) is the BEST at accomodating large groups.

China Pearl IS big, but Empire Garden is HUGE. If there are a lot of people going to this outing in a quick amount of time, then Empire Garden would be the way to go because it's guaranteed we can seat people. It's not my favorite dim sum place but it's pretty damn good. And they have tripe/chicken feet/weird stuff to force on non-dim-summers, plus a relatively attentive wait staff that'll let you custom order if you just GOTTA have the weirdest of the weird.

(my personal and most authentic favorite is Hei La Moon on Beach St, which is about the same size as China Pearl. Here's some stuff I've snagged there: http://www.foodspotting.com/places/4223-hei-la-moon-boston)

AWESOME perk about dim sum: All the venues are walking distance from BCEC.

juju on
    [E]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    As the date gets closer, I'm sure there will be several dim sum opportunities posted here. Right now, I'm planning Sunday morning at China Pearl. The other places sound nice, but China Pearl's been my go-to place for the last 14 years.

However, if the group gets huge and/or people want a different time/place I'm sure someone will organize that as well :)

mad_typist on
  • Options
    cwong617cwong617 Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    *note*, bring your own money, like 30 to 40 dollars, because dim sum is sharing food, and people don't expect to pay for you. Just saying, because I did that and big mistake.

cwong617 on
  • Options
    Mike TooleMike Toole Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, $30-40 for dim sum is about right. Small dishes are $3-4, and bigger ones are $5-6, and you're going to find yourself ordering around 5-6 items. It helps if you have a buddy to split dishes with.

Empire Garden is indeed massive, but the Pearl has better food, so unless we put together a mindbogglingly huge posse, the Pearl's got my vote. Pencil me in for some BBQ pork buns, squid congee, and beef tripe, mad_typist!

Also, this thread has me pondering the efficacy of a late-nite Chow Chau City hangout - best Chinese food in town, and it's open until 4am nightly!

Mike Toole on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    $30-40 seems a little steep from my experience. I feel like I only paid $20 or so last year.

Here's how we did it last year:

- Food comes off the carts only, no menus

- Family style dining. This allows everyone to try a wider range of items and experiment with new kinds of food without having to purchase a whole plate on their own

- Everyone agrees not to be a dick by ordering some ridiculously expensive booze or whatever, throwing off the overall bill.

- The table splits the check evenly at the end.

mad_typist on
  • Options
    ParagonAlleyParagonAlley Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    it was $18/person last year. I don't recall anyone purchasing any alcohol either. Should just make a rule that if anyone wants alcohol it goes on a separate bill.

ParagonAlley on
  • Options
    It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This'll be my first PAX, but this definitely sounds like something I'd be interested in. There's way too many good restaurants to pass up. Now if I could just convince some people to go to the Union Oyster House with me . . .

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    ChaoticaChaotica Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OoOoO dim sum! China Pearl is good stuff, not sure if they'll have enough room if we get any kind of numbers, but I'm game!

Chaotica on
    -- DJ Chaotica, Split Infinity Radio
    sirlsnr.gif
  • Options
    Polar BehrPolar Behr Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    I'm in I'll be there ^^

Polar Behr on
  • Options
    Mike TooleMike Toole Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, $30-40 is high - I always bring way too much money to restaurant outings. It's because I'm cautious, and also because I don't want to get caught with too little money if I see something interesting that I absolutely have to order. :mrgreen:
    This'll be my first PAX, but this definitely sounds like something I'd be interested in. There's way too many good restaurants to pass up. Now if I could just convince some people to go to the Union Oyster House with me . . .

Take it from a local: don't bother. The place is a tourist trap with mediocre food. If you want good seafood you don't even need to leave the Fan Pier area - go to LTK (Legal Test Kitchen) or the Barking Crab.

Mike Toole on
  • Options
    It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mike Toole wrote: »
    Yeah, $30-40 is high - I always bring way too much money to restaurant outings. It's because I'm cautious, and also because I don't want to get caught with too little money if I see something interesting that I absolutely have to order. :mrgreen:

Take it from a local: don't bother. The place is a tourist trap with mediocre food. If you want good seafood you don't even need to leave the Fan Pier area - go to LTK (Legal Test Kitchen) or the Barking Crab.

As long as they have decent Oysters Rockefeller and they're not too far I'm not very picky about exactly where. :P

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey folks, missed the Dim Sum this year due to work schedule. I will be volunteering for one of the vendors on Sunday, so as long as it is Sat or Fri, count me in.

Waterborn on
    http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
  • Options
    chenry888chenry888 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My first time to PAX ever! So excited to experience it and now there's DIM SUM too!

Count me in! This is toooo good.

chenry888 on
  • Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Missed this last year, trying to fit it into the schedule this time!

Exodus1 on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am always down for dim sum. Though I haven't seen anything from Hypatia yet. If she leads a group again I am bound by loyalty to attend, though if there's no schedule conflict, maybe even both.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm hoping another outing is planned because Sunday won't work for me. Busy busy busy covering the show in its entirety again so I can't miss any time that the show is open.

Maybe something on Thursday? Is that something that people are interested in?

atiari on
  • Options
    theButterFlytheButterFly Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    I guess I got to find out what the deal is with this place you keep talking about. Count me in MadTypist, and most likely my cousin too.

theButterFly on
  • Options
    Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll talk to my group and see who wants to go, but I am definitely in regardless. Who can pass up Dim Sum?!?!

Lady Amalthea on
    Who is going to PAX South?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    atiari wrote: »

I'm down for weekday dim sum. It's less crowded on weekdays anyway. :)

juju on
    [E]
  • Options
    cakefalsehoodcakefalsehood Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll come, sounds awesome.

cakefalsehood on
  • Options
    tripleholictripleholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    juju wrote: »
    atiari wrote: »

I'm down for weekday dim sum. It's less crowded on weekdays anyway. :)

Hey juju I'm more inclined to go if you're going haha
    (it's Tina from NJ/Tufts -- not to be creepy, so I hope you're who I think you are)

Dim sum would be a lot of fun with a big group :) I'm in depending on my classes
    I'd also have a +1 for my boyfriend if you want a general headcount

tripleholic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hey juju I'm more inclined to go if you're going haha
    (it's Tina from NJ/Tufts -- not to be creepy, so I hope you're who I think you are)

OH SNAP HEY YES IT IS ME THE DANCING GAME JULIE Q.

Let's do dim sum! I vote Friday but it'll be post bar-crawl so it could be good or bad. Thursday is good too but idk who will be around.

juju on
    [E]
  • Options
    TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    OMG I AM DOWN FOR ALL OF THE DIM SUM.

Twinkie on
  • Options
    KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd like to go, total forgot last year and missed it!

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd love to give some Dim Sum a shot - I'm up for whereever/whenever except early Thursday since I'm not entirely sure when I'll be getting into town. I'm likely taking a train down from Portland (ME) so it'll depend on the schedule I suppose. Sunday would be great - I found last year on Sunday I was out of steam and needing a break like a Dim Sum outing would provide!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This sounds really interesting, although my dietary requirements would not deem it acceptable. Still, it's mega-close to where I'll be staying, so I may come check it out.

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This sounds really interesting, although my dietary requirements would not deem it acceptable. Still, it's mega-close to where I'll be staying, so I may come check it out.

Yeah, dim sum is a bit dicey if you have dietary restrictions, particularly if you have allergies or whatever.

mad_typist on
  • Options
    NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eagerly awaiting for details. Delicious food needs to be consumed--- even its fantastical component.

Nullthread on