As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game(s) of the Year

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    FFXIII.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mass Effect 2. It's one of the best experiences I've had with a game.

Transformers War for Cybertron is runner-up.

Worst game I've played this year has to be Alpha Protocol.

I forgot about WFC.

That game ruled

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I can't agree with ME2. The way they marketed the interplay between ME1 and ME2, you'd think your actions would have real consequences across the game. Then we got some emails. Nnnope, that just felt too cheap to give that game the GOTY stamp. It's like an awesome, beautiful sports car with a cheap gaudy stereo on the dash - it mars an otherwise top-tier offering.

Robman on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    I can't agree with ME2. The way they marketed the interplay between ME1 and ME2, you'd think your actions would have real consequences across the game. Then we got some emails. Nnnope, that just felt too cheap to give that game the GOTY stamp. It's like an awesome, beautiful sports car with a cheap gaudy stereo on the dash - it mars an otherwise top-tier offering.

I thought there were real consequences. Saving Wrex meant that you met him in Tuchanka. If you killed him in ME1, you're obviously not going to meet him there. I also had a nice long chat with Parasinni who remembered what I did on Noveria messing up her investigation. Shiara thanked me and talked about how Virmire was rebuilding itself. Of course, there was the envoy from the Rachni Queen. So it wasn't all emails, and it didn't feel cheap. And of course, no other game even attempts what ME2 did. You're just being silly.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jeez, other than my number one it will be tough calls all around.

Mass Effect 2 is number one. No debate in my mind.

Runners of the Up variety:
    FF13
    Mario Galaxy 2
    Starcraft 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    Super Street Fighter 4
    Limbo
    Kirby's Epic Yarn
    Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Sin & Punishment 2
    Bayonetta
    Monster Hunter Tri
    Darksiders
    Alan Wake
    Super Scribblenauts
    Fable III
    Metroid: Other M
    Alpha Protocol

There was a lot of great stuff this year.

For Mass Effect 2 I look at it this way.

Mass Effect 1 is one of the best games ever made. It holds up incredibly well, is still fun, still looks great, and could still compete with a lot of recent releases in terms of quality and fun factor.

Mass Effect 2 is so much better than Mass Effect 1 that it makes me not want to play the first game again.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I agree on Mass Effect being my GOTY, especially when you add in the wealth of DLC for it.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    Copied over:

Game of the Year: Alpha Protocol
    Runner Up: Epic Mickey

RPG GOTY: New Vegas: Dead Money (Yes, I'm awarding it to a DLC. Wanna fight about it?)
    Runner Up: The Dark Eye: Drakensang: The River of Time

Action GOTY: Mass Effect 2
    Runner Up: AC: Brotherhood

Strategy GOTY: Star Craft 2
    Runner Up: Civilization 5

Wait, you're giving AP GOTY but not RPGoty?

Game of the Year is the game I had most fun playing. The other awards are for games that do particulary well in their areas. New Vegas originally wouldn't even have made the list, because while I like it I have quite a few quirks with it.

Dead Money got it because while it offered a great short story with well developed charachters it also provided the best/most hardcore gameplay of all Fallout titles.

The original runner up was Avernum 6.

C2B on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think hands-down my best game of the year has to be Mass Effect 2. The game I pumped the most time into is a coin-toss between Super Street Fighter IV and Mass Effect 2.

Special mentions in the pleasantly-surprised category are Darksiders, which felt like a real sleeper hit positioned near the start of the year, and the remake of Splatterhouse which I got yesterday and have since decided that every game now needs firebreathing demonic breakdancing clowns as mooks.

Specifically looking at DLC/Live, I'm giving all my thumbs up to Sonic 4 Episode 1, for finally doing it right. Almost.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    VVVVVV and Super Mario Galaxy 2 were probably the games I had the most fun playing this year. The former is one of the few games I've replayed a bunch of times since beating it in recent years.

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In no particular order:

Mass Effect 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    Super Street Fighter IV

And Uncharted 2 (my 2010 2009 GOTY).

Ceno on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nah

Nothing worthwhile was pushed to 2011

Obviously that's just my opinion, but I can't think of any?

Portal 2, Dead Space 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and LittleBigPlanet 2 were all delayed, so you're wrong.

And yeah, I agree with BlackDove, this year wasn't so great. It started off fantastically, then got worse as it went on. There were still a few good games in there, like RDR, GT5, Fallout: NV and AssBro (which was a pretty good expansion pack) but also a whole lot of mediocrity. Next year on the other hand, looks like it'll surpass 2001 as my best year of gaming.

Anyway, mcc should be around any day now to get GOTY nominations.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not going to copy my whole list over again, but basically Alpha protocol is GAME OF THE YEAR 20101!!!

and ME2 is the most overrated game of forever, even moreso than FF7.

And brink was the most anticipated game of the year

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Starcraft.
    Starcraft.
    STARCRAAAFT.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bayonetta or ME:2 or Starcraft

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mass Effect 2 was the best.

Civilization V was also excellent.

Assassin's Creed 2 is probably my bronze medal place.

Edit: I'm referring to Brotherhood.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mass Effect 2, while not perfect by any means, was the only game I liked that didn't have parts that I hated within it. I'm looking at you, Red Dead Redemption.

If you could get awards for individual pieces of games, then Alpha Protocol would get it for its' dialogue system and branching story paths. Unfortunately it would also get the award for worst boss battles from me along with it.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mass Effect 2
    Monday Night Combat
    Halo Reach

joshgotro on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I forgot borderlands was oct 2009 :( i still think it might have the most hours logged for me from 2010

knoxx didnt come out until january 2010

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SC2
    WoW: Cata
    NBA 2k11
    Uncharted 2 (Did this come out this year? Well, either way doesnt matter)

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wait...are we going to have an official GotY thread?

You know the one that has the nice charts and everything?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    True. Where is mcc with his fancy thread?

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, its not the end of the year yet

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    starcraft 2

by

far

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Not going to copy my whole list over again, but basically Alpha protocol is GAME OF THE YEAR 20101!!!

The post is a fantastic example of how incredibly out of touch people are.

Brink, the most anticipated game of the year in a year with two blizzard releases. I'm being lead to believe further and further that the trolling game of the year is Alpha Protocol and the trolling worst game is Mass Effect 2. Someone please explain why Mass effect 2 was worse than FFXIV or Metroid: Other M.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mass Effect 2

by

far

You got that right

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Brink, the most anticipated game of the year in a year with two blizzard releases. I'm being lead to believe further and further that the trolling game of the year is Alpha Protocol and the trolling worst game is Mass Effect 2. Someone please explain why Mass effect 2 was worse than FFXIV or Metroid: Other M.

Obviously because the ammo change up!

joshgotro on
  • Options
    ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mass Effect 2, Starcraft 2 and Fallout NV. In that order.

Zealot on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

There's a difference.

(Though, more overrated than FF7? That's a little much even from personal perspective)

C2B on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not like people complaining about a popular game being overrated is anything new to the GotY thread anyway.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think GotY as a quality measure is too subjective, we should rather look for the game's impact to industry. And I think there Kinect Adventures is the king... ~5 million units sold, not including last-minute purchases.

Watching the sales numbers of the Kinect kind of reminds me of how some neckbeards pronounced Nintendo doomed with the Wii.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

No, the best example of how out of touch people are is Mass Effect 1 coming 7th in your Game of the Decade poll. I'd accept it coming 7th in the year it came out, 2007 but of the entire decade? Fuck no. Fuck. No.
    Robman wrote: »
    I think GotY as a quality measure is too subjective, we should rather look for the game's impact to industry. And I think there Kinect Adventures is the king... ~5 million units sold, not including last-minute purchases.

Watching the sales numbers of the Kinect kind of reminds me of how some neckbeards pronounced Nintendo doomed with the Wii.

:lol:

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

No, the best example of how out of touch people are is Mass Effect 1 coming 7th in your Game of the Decade poll. I'd accept it coming 7th in the year it came out, 2007 but of the entire decade? Fuck no. Fuck. No.

Yes, it is entirely my fault that it got 196 hivemind votes in the top 25 and enough points to place 4th. I imagine we're through the internet looking glass where unreasonable dislike of Mass Effect is now en vogue.

Edit: I will however, take my statement back that Alpha Protocol is the trolling answer, as it seems people who're calling GOTY have gigantic blinders on and not doing it maliciously. Or maybe they didn't play anything else. It is a mystery.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Naw...like I said, it's just a cycle in GotY threads.

A lot of people say they like X game.
    Someone says "How can you like X game? It isn't all that hot."
    Then you get a lot of back and forth.

I mean we've been through this with Batman: AA, Portal, ME1, Assassin's Creed, and plenty of other games I can't think of at the moment.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Yes, it is entirely my fault that it got 196 hivemind votes in the top 25 and enough points to place 4th. I imagine we're through the internet looking glass where unreasonable dislike of Mass Effect is now en vogue.

Edit: I will however, take my statement back that Alpha Protocol is the trolling answer, as it seems people who're calling GOTY have gigantic blinders on and not doing it maliciously. Or maybe they didn't play anything else. It is a mystery.

Thar be a lot of words you be putting in me mouth.

Actually, I was just naming a better example and I actually like Mass Effect 1 and 2, I just have enough perspective to recognise that ME1 had a LOT of flaws. Personally I'd list all three games like this: ME2 > AP > ME1.

I can see where people that say ME2 is over-rated are coming from though, since the main storyline was laughably bad and the gameplay itself was streamlined to a point of absurdity. Find a middle point between each Mass Effect and that'd probably be my ideal game of the series.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    huh. I mostly play older games, but I suspect that I would've given it to Kirby: Epic Yarn or 999 had I played them.

In lieu of that, I guess it has to be Dragon Quest 9.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As 2011 goes, I forgot about Kingdom Under Fire II. That should be great, if it comes out here.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Though I do have to say, like others have said, 2010 was pretty front-loaded.

The only game I kind say I liked that came out during the winter season was New Vegas.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't think I could pick a single game. It'd be hard to choose between AC: Brotherhood, Mass Effect 2, Alpha Protocol, DKC Returns, Sin & Punishment 2, Starcraft 2, Civ V...

Ugh. :P

Edit: 2010 was definitely not front-loaded. I feel like the last two years finally spread the great games out over the course of the year. We had plenty of good stuff in the last 3 months.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    The remake of Perfect Dark on XBLA.

simPerfectDarkXBLA10.jpg

Was and always will be the best first person shooter, and is also the only console FPS that runs in true 1080p, giving you a higher resolution for each person in 4 player splitscreen than a single person gets in CoD.

Also, nobody can still match it's bots, and they were originally made on a fucking 90mhz processor.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The answer for this year should always be Red Dead Redemption.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png