As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MINECRAFT] Notch breaks SMP, must be tuesday

VicVic Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
logo.gif
Thanks to Kris_xK and Ein for the previous OP's

1010842689_DYj3P-L.jpg
1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg[/center]

Do you like lego? Would you like to play with it again? Then you need to Minecraft.

Minecraft is a game about squares.

In a world made of blocks, you (a rather blocky person yourself) must use your wits and common sense to build and carve a way to safety. This is a dangerous world, make no mistake – monsters appear from out of the dark, mountains themselves can roar at you, and an errant poke in the wrong direction could bury you alive under tons of soil.

But all is not lost. You’re a smart adventurer, after all. After tearing down some trees with your bare hands and building yourself a rudimentary shelter, you’ll begin to explore the mineral wealth of this new land – iron, coal, gold, and even stranger treasures await you deep in the cores of these mountains. The question is, can you work your way to the heart of the earth, plunder its riches, and return to tell the tale?

Developed by one-man creator Markus Persson (also known as Notch), Minecraft is a Java-based, sandbox-style adventure. It fits squarely among more difficult survival games such as Dwarf Fortress and NetHack, while keeping the simple charm of one’s younger building-block days. It is outwardly simple, internally complex, easy to play, and difficult to master. Perhaps best of all, despite being constructed of laughable square blocks, the game manages to deliver a wonderful atmosphere of fear, paranoia, determination, and reward all in one package.

Where do I play the game?
This game can either be played using a downloadable application or online in your browser.

If you want to play survival, play using one of these links: Browser | Downloadable Client.

If you want to play creative, play using one of these links: Browser Singleplayer | Browser Multiplayer | CPColin's Client | WoM Client
Note: This game mode does not have most of the features that survival does. Notch has favored updating Survival instead. It doesn't have the cool lighting or half the blocks that survival does.

Is it free?
Yes and no. Right now Minecraft is in beta, creative is free and survival is pay-only. The price is currently 75% of what it will be when the game is officially released. When you purchase the game, you get access to Survival and the ability to have a custom player skin.

Current Price:€14.95 | $~21.30 | £12.00
Pre-Purchase Here

Videos:
Includes How-To and Beginner videos!

Useful Shit:

Programs & Utilities
Isometric Live Map Preview - Use this for your survival worlds.
NBT Forge - A map editor for Survival.
OMEN - A map editor for Creative
Isocraft - A great isometric image generator. Only works with creative maps.
Cartograph - Creates a map of your survival world. It's quite buggy right now but gets the job done.
INVEdit - You can use this to edit your inventory in survival.
NBTEdit - You can use this to change almost anything about your save. Spawn point, health, etc.
Skin Edit - A tool you can use to edit your player skin.

Textures
Don't like the default graphics? Here are some of the popular ones.
SMP's Texture Pack
Tahel's Texture Pack
Cheap Shot's Texture Pack
Brown & Bloom Texture Pack
Painterly Pack
Dokus' RPG Texture Pack
None of these interest you? Try browsing this list. Someone on the minecraft forums compiled every texture pack into one megathread.
Dírhael wrote: »
The rather excellent HD texture fix would be a valuable addition to the OP. Being able to play with larger textures, and still have animated water & fire is quite enjoyable.

Want to see what the look like? Cog made a handy picture guide!
Cognisseur wrote: »
Attention New Players!

In case you're interested in changing your Texture Pack, but don't know what to go with?

I loaded a few of the Texture Packs from the OP and took screenshots of the same location on Zetx's server (which hopefully demonstrates some texture variety) using each one. (Tahel's Pack link didn't load, and I didn't know what to do with Cheap Shot's .png file)

Default Texture Pack:
SqOYP.png

SMP's Texture Pack:
Gefc0.png

Brown & Bloom's Texture Pack:
BmFgx.png

Painterly Pack:
B6WHZ.png

All 4 Packs Side-by-Side Comparison:
P7ScY.png

Don't know how to install these? Read this.

Skins
[URL="url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=54216"]Java Skin Editor[/URL]
Skinning Tutorial, Supplementary Skin by VALVEjunkie
The Skin Index - Skin Listing

Links
The Official Minecraft Site - Play the game here.
The Dev Blog - Notch's dev blog., Posts a lot of updates and info here.
Notch's Twitter - Can be read on his blog as well.
The Official Minecraft Forums - Just don't fucking do it. The community is fucking retarded. Already.
Minecraft Wiki - The official wiki for the game.
SA Minecraft Wiki - Another wiki, this one run by Something Awful Goons. Lots of in jokes and not as comprehensive.
World of Minecraft - The WoM Custom Client lets you hack and play offline in Minecraft Classic.
The Skin Index - Skin Listing

STEAM GROUP
Clicky!
Ask in Steam chat to be added.
Please do not send me PM's about being invited to the steam group, instead make a post in this thread.

PUBLIC PA Servers

Diannaochong.dyndns.org
Updates and rules for this server can be found here.

SulSeeker.dyndns.org

The Underdark: No longer public, PM me if you want in but I do not guarantee I will send you the IP due to server strain.

For others ask in Steam Group chat

IF YOU HAVE A SERVER AND WANT IT TO BE ADDED TO THE LISTS, FEEL FREE TO PM ME.

Vic on

• VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Underdark

Just a server with some people who live in a cave.

ud21.png

In the early days when man awoke in the dark, he was haunted by visions of the surface. A place with no ceiling, where light flowed freely from the endless sky and gave life and warmth to the creatures and plants that lived on the earth. In his fervor for such a paradise, man dug ever upwards in his vain hope for this impossible dream. Yet however far he dug, he found only stone.

These days few believe in such fairytales. The depths may be dark, but by strength and courage we have carved ourself a home in these stone halls. Coal torches feed the hungry leaves of our trees and crops and hold the endless undead hordes at bay. Those with courage and skill climb out into the darkness and come back with wild tales of strange caves and glittering riches. It is a cold, harsh life, but we endure.
    Underdarkmap.png

I created the Underdark with two concepts in mind, firstly to make fantastical underground landscapes, and secondly to create a more difficult survival experience. The Underdark is a huge complex of caves, some natural stone and ore and others built after a certain theme such as the Sand Cave and the Red Caves. Struggling against the constant onslaught of monsters the players have explored and colonized far and wide within these caves.
    2010-11-28_031202.png

But there are many strange and hidden things in the depths of the world, and sometimes bravery and greed can lead one to destruction. Through rash actions the players have awoken something in the depths, and the consequences of their actions are still not fully understood.
    creeper.png

The Underdark is meant to be a slightly more difficult and dangerous experience than most servers, and players are encouraged to go out and explore or to create their own safe patch within the caves and build a home for themselves. I act as a sort of game master for the server, occasionally adding in a new cave system or providing a quest.

Information, also available inside the server:
    Player commands available:

/warp <destination>: A teleportation tool.

The current destination options are:
    uc: Undercore, the central cave
    rc: Red Caves, a netherstone cave system and a redstone cult hub
    urc: Underdark Research Center
    shop: A collection of shops where you can trade with other players
    ic: Ice Cave
    old: The ruins of the old Underdark server
    mf: Mob farm
    li: Lumber Ice, town in the Ice Cave
    ge: Gehenna, a cave with lava, soulsand and glass trees.
    sc: Sand Cave
    hq: New industrial complex built to replace HQ
    fs: False Surface Cave

/sethome: Similar to how warp functions, it allows you to set your own personal waypoint that you can reach by typing /home. You will land within 2-3 blocks of where you are when you set the point.

/kit miningbasics: Gives you a set of stone tools, for those inconvenient deaths.

/playerlist: Allows you to see a list of all of the players who are currently online.

/compass: Shows you your current heading (as of when you typed the command).

Trading system:
    Because some things are so difficult to find within the caves and other things are so abundant, I have arranged a system for trading items with the players using gold as the currency. 1B = 1 block, 1b = 1 bar. The following items are available for trade:

VIC BUYS: (these are the items I will give you gold for)
    64 Logs = 1 B
    32 Gravel = 1B
    [/COLOR]

VIC SELLS: (these are the items you can buy for gold)
    64 Obsidian blocks = 3B
    64 Dirt = 1B
    32 Sand = 1B
    32 Glass = 1B
    32 Clay = 1B
    32 Snow = 1B
    16 Ice = 1B
    32 Mossy Cobblestone = 1B
    32 Netherstone = 1B
    32 Soulsand = 1B
    1 Lightstone = 3b
    1 Lava = 5b
    1 Diamond Ore = 5b
    1 Coal ore = 2b
    1 Redstone ore = 2b
    8 Leaf block = 1B
    8 Flower = 1B
    8 Mushroom= 1B

Special Items:
    Custom Warp: 30 B (this can be public or private as you wish, PRICE INCREASED)
    Pocket dimension; an adminium cube with private access through a warp. Useful as vaults.
    9x9x9 = 40B
    19x19x19 = 60B
    29x29x29 = 80B
    39x39x39 = 100B

Vic on
    edited December 2010
    Underdark News:

This is the post where I will try to put some basic relevant information on current happenings on the Underdark server.

Thieves about

As there is still no replacement for Hey0 server mod and not everyone owns a vault in any case I will give this advice to new players: Keep all your valuables squirreled away in secret stashes. Gold, diamonds and Iron in particular are prone to theft. The simplest way to make a secret stash is to simply place a chest underneath your floor or inside a wall of your house and replace the blocks above whenever you access it.

Mods can now trade!

Mods can now trade items, create warps and sell 9x cubes!

SERVER IP NO LONGER PUBLIC

Because of the strain on the server and the risk of griefers, the IP will no longer be public. If you have friends you want to invite feel free to do so.

New Caves!

The maddening obsidian tunnels of Pandemonium are now available to explore.

After activating the five seals hidden around the ice cave, the new area known as Gehenna has been unlocked. Check page 5 for some screenshots.

The Old Underdark has also been opened, the ruins of the last server brought back to serve as a reminder to what happens to those who dig too greedily and too high.

Quests

New stupid puzzle available!

Vic on
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok, so a friend of mine is trying to set up a multi server but aparently only he can log into it once he inputs his IP and also, each time he breaks any block it reapears seconds after that.
    Ideas?

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Story So Far:
    ---

A Recap of Redstone Actvitiy. The first half of this takes place two or three weeks before the Deep Heart was discovered.
    Day 1: The secret room in the HQ basement is discovered. It's sealed with an iron door and appears to have walls made of bloodstone with soulsand floors. There are a few propaganda signs on the walls saying things like "He is buried, but his power still lives". I didn't see it in it's very first state, so I don't have any screenshots.

Day 2: Someone accidentally burns down the undercore in the morning. Signs later appear on HQ with a redstone symbol in front of them. This rune goes on to become the most common one that the cult associates with.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Day 3: Signs appear in front of Vic's trading mushroom.

03.jpg

The roof of Empirical's red cave safehouse is redstoned, along with the now standard rune appearing in more places around the underdark. The door to the secret room opens for real and there's a new sign saying that "HE HAS BEEN FOUND!"

Day 4: Even more of the small runes appear. More signs are left at the Undercore lake, telling us to head to the southeast.

03_5.jpg

We find even more signs there and a giant redstone rune. The signs challenge us to find five runes and destroy them.

04.jpg

One next to us, one in the false surface, one in the sand cave, one in the red cave, and one in the Ubderdark.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

We succeed and leave signs mocking them.

Day 5: More signs by the lake thanking us for breaking the aforementioned locks for them. The giant redstone runes we ran around smashing were actually keeping the "gates" shut.

08.jpg

Down at the lake, a trail of redstone runes lead across the peninsula.

09.jpg

10.jpg

At the end of the trail, one of the unused lake pillars has been carved out into a huge platform.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

One last sign.

15.jpg

Activity died down quite a bit after this. Possibly because Vic put up signs forbidding people from placing redstone on anyone's property. Anyone caught doing so would be severely punished.

A new standard rune pops up every once in a while, but they seemed to be keeping to their word with the final sign... until this morning.

To be continued!

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    4th seal has been activated, and I've purchased a warp to the ice caves at /warp ic

5th seal can't be far off, apparently we came quite close to it while exploring.
    Ok, so a friend of mine is trying to set up a multi server but aparently only he can log into it once he inputs his IP and also, each time he breaks any block it reapears seconds after that.
    Ideas?

I've never run a server, but it sounds like he doesn't have ports properly forwarded in his router to let people connect. The blocks reappearing can probably be chalked up to the spawn zone, a certain radius around spawn can't be built on or altered, have him try going a little further away from spawn.

Fleeb on
    edited December 2010
    Fleeb wrote: »
    4th seal has been activated, and I've purchased a warp to the ice caves at /warp ic

5th seal can't be far off, apparently we came quite close to it while exploring.

I was really hoping someone would use that pillar to make a public safe house. It would be awesome if you hollowed it out to make a lookout tower too.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think that the seals are in the same quincunx pattern as the other cult stuff.

Edith Upwards on
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Im going to start building in the ice caves if no one objects.

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I still haven't managed to change a texture pack.

Placed the files for a couple of packs in the directory the MC client opens but nothing shows up.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Make sure they're zips not rars? Don't extract them, leave them in the zips.
    Im going to start building in the ice caves if no one objects.

Go for it. One or two other folks are already settling roundabout that area.

Fleeb on
    edited December 2010
    Oh you place the zip file in there without unzipping it.

Welp.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Going deep into the ice sounds pretty difficult

Construction of the drill has begun

Gumpy on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i have gotten into quite a skybridge phase

you can't look up in the sky without seeing one on my map now

and its beautiful

now to install minecarts and boosters

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ideas?

Problem One:
    He probably hasn't forwarded/opened his ports on his router, so only he can join the server if hes trying to join from the same PC that it is hosted on. Until he opens port 25565 on that specific machine (he needs to get the PC's specific IP address in the exceptions rules, not just his original IP address) no one externally will be able to join.

Problem Two:
    My guess is that he is probably trying to gather blocks/materials inside the spawn zone. The area you first spawn in upon entering the server for the first time, or every time you die and respawn - can not be changed or mined or built upon. Not sure what the 'radius' of the spawn zone is, but if he moves a little bit away from it he should be fine.

Also

Hurray new Minecraft thread! ALL HAIL THE OBSIDIAN CREEPER.

Loathing on
  • tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hurray for Santa Creeper! He bears gifts...of doooooooommmmmmmm

tachyon on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Though I don't play on it, Underdark sounds great guys. Really well done, Vic.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So can anyone make a map of where the seals have been found? Might give us an idea where the 5th is.

samurai6966 on
    edited December 2010
    So can anyone make a map of where the seals have been found? Might give us an idea where the 5th is.

I've marked the two I know the locations of.

sealmap.png

There's a long straight road that runs along the left edge of this square that starts in the undercore. The sign at the beginning claims that it goes to the third seal, so that means there's one on either the top left or lower left corner... but I haven't walked the road, so I'm not sure which it is.

Someone else will have to fill in the other two discovered ones.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited December 2010
    I think they are roughly like this:
    sealmap.png

And also, I did an isometric map of the UC to try out the concept. Not sure how well I think it went, but take a look:

iso.png

Vic on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Considering the Craft...

Is the multiplayer based on survival? That is, when night falls does everyone on the server work together [or against] to survive the night?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited December 2010
    2010-12-26_202253.png

kdrudy found the 5th and final seal. Everyone is going to town on it to prep it.

Edit:
    finaljpg.jpg

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited December 2010
    So the seals unlock Hell, as it were?

Loathing on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We really were pretty close, there were torches in the room just below it

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My newest world spawned me right next to an unassuming hole in the ground that just so happens to be connected to a gigantic series of caves filled to the fucking bursting point with coal. I also have enough bacon to fill the belly of a god.

Liquid Ghost on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For that thing I said earlier but couldn't link because I was on an Iphone at the time, this is a peculiar (Not a pun, its weird) Minecraft playthrough by the Yogcast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOSA5aoQzGM

The thing that messes me up is that this village is either full of role players, its staged by the guys doing the play-through, or are actual npcs. I'm expecting staged or role players. Skip to 2:30

Kadoken on
    edited December 2010
    Redstones hit my place. It might be that I said "Fuck redstones! Long live the diamond miners" but come on! They took my gold, iron, diamonds, torches, and redstone.

But it looks like the one way lock on my door gave them a bit of trouble...

Sliver linings and what not... :(

samurai6966 on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Stopped in for a couple minutes, only to lose the stream since some else is streaming Netflix right now.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited December 2010
    That Underdark server sounds sweet...how do servers work in this game? Like are characters saved per server or locally? How many players at a time?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited December 2010
    Your characters inventory and location gets saved per server. So if on Server A your in your little home, with a bunch of stuff in your inventory and then quit, when you log back in you'll be in the same place with the same stuff. If you log into Server B which you've never been too, you'll be at the spawn area with no items.

Max players is limited by the server preferences file and the hardware it's running I'm I'd assume. Default is 20.

Loathing on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have a feeling its all roleplayed by one guy who switches between characters.

JJ on
    edited December 2010
    Redstones hit my place. It might be that I said "Fuck redstones! Long live the diamond miners" but come on! They took my gold, iron, diamonds, torches, and redstone.

But it looks like the one way lock on my door gave them a bit of trouble...

Sliver linings and what not... :(

The cult is not an excuse to break the rules or grief. If anyone is caught doing either of those things, they will be punished.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Loathing wrote: »
    Your characters inventory and location gets saved per server. So if on Server A your in your little home, with a bunch of stuff in your inventory and then quit, when you log back in you'll be in the same place with the same stuff. If you log into Server B which you've never been too, you'll be at the spawn area with no items.

Max players is limited by the server preferences file and the hardware it's running I'm I'd assume. Default is 20.

Thanks for the response man. Definitely lookin' to make a purchase soon.

Aumni on
    edited December 2010
    Had fun in the Underdark this evening. Never really did much more than explore on other servers but set myself up a nice little base which I shall be expanding after some trips into the darkness.

Elycius ingame btw.

mere_immortal on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Set up a decent little base behind the shop fountain thing. Has a path leading down to the lake (which has a really big air bubble under it all lit up, it's weird) and a path leading up to the false surface, right near the fountain. The placement was pretty damn good.

UEAKCrash on
  • JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got a little shack up over the entrance to the Pillar tonight, and (thankfully) noticed two blocks of TNT on the HQ that were then accidentally detonated.
    I also got a shitload of items and minerals from the ice caves....and then proceeded to die. I've died so many times and lost so much valuable stuff recently you don't even know.

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
    edited December 2010
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Set up a decent little base behind the shop fountain thing. Has a path leading down to the lake (which has a really big air bubble under it all lit up, it's weird) and a path leading up to the false surface, right near the fountain. The placement was pretty damn good.

The uberlake is probably my favorite area in the game and the peninsula that those stairs lead to might be my favorite section of the lake. That's where I chose to build the first giant lightstone mushroom, too... which needs to be repaired after someone tore part of it up.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Besides no griefing, stealing or general muckfuckery is there anything else one needs to know in regards to playing on the Underdark? Might join you fine folk again tomorrow once I get home and wait for my hardware to arrive, I was on there for a short while as Tyberias.

Loathing on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So how does the Underdark actually work? is it a big persistent world that someone made, or have the terrain generation algorithms been modified to allow random generation of purely underground areas?

And this storyline with the seals, is this modded in or is it being run by a dungeon master of sorts?

Dhalphir on
    edited December 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    So how does the Underdark actually work? is it a big persistent world that someone made, or have the terrain generation algorithms been modified to allow random generation of purely underground areas?

And this storyline with the seals, is this modded in or is it being run by a dungeon master of sorts?

It is a contained map but still huge, and the seals are dungeoned mastered by Vic who wrote the OP.

Red cultist... We aren't sure yet.

samurai6966 on
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My friend and I are making a SMP beta Let's play.
    Part 1

Part 2

halkun on
This discussion has been closed.