As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Abandon Hope, Ye Who Enter [Previews Thread] Avoiding Spoilers

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    "Like Reed Richards or Tony Stark. If they were awesome."

Never change Rockslide, you god-damn hero.

Solar on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rockside is my favorite

Antimatter on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does the hockey mask protect his identity?

admanb on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Casey Jones homage?

Hensler on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There is nothing in those 2 pages that isn't pure gold, how much longer til it's out? ( or is my LCS just being slow as usual?)

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Does the hockey mask protect his identity?
    In the Marvel U, it very well might.

"Korg just saved me!"
    "Korg? No, that was the Thing!"
    "Thing? You're both crazy, that was It, the Living Colossus!"
    "No no, it was Gorgolla, the Living Gargoyle!"
    "I thought it was the Grey Gargoyle."

Etc.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    In the Marvel U, it very well might.

"Korg just saved me!"
    "Korg? No, that was the Thing!"
    "Thing? You're both crazy, that was It, the Living Colossus!"
    "No no, it was Gorgolla, the Living Gargoyle!"
    "I thought it was the Grey Gargoyle."

Etc.

Touché.

admanb on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So...X-Men having secret identities as superheroes?

Okay, I'm in.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    I am contractually obligated to post these pages from X-Men: Serve and Protect #2
    xmsap002_int_lr_0003.jpg
    xmsap002_int_lr_0004.jpg

Other stories in the issue feature team-ups between the Stepford Cuckoos and Spider-Man, Colossus and Iron Man, and X-23 and Ghost Rider.

That is all kinds of great. RS is adorable, and that last panel sold me.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Children's Crusade #4 preview

Still wondering how this fits timewise with anything in the past years, because Doom was pretty busy, getting arrested and experimenting on Asgardians and such. And in case you didn't know it from every YA issue yet, Billy and Teddy are dating each other.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Children's Crusade #4 preview

Still wondering how this fits timewise with anything in the past years, because Doom was pretty busy, getting arrested and experimenting on Asgardians and such. And in case you didn't know it from every YA issue yet, Billy and Teddy are dating each other.

I don't think the "boyfriend" line was obtrusive. Also, while I'll agree that Billy and Teddy's relationship has been front and center, I think it's just because this is essentially about Billy and the Maximoffs. Usually you'd see more about Kate/Eli and Cassie/Vision's relationships as well, but they're not deeply involved in the whole Scarlet Witch thing and have kind of been sidelined as a result.

Given the length of this series, you'd think there'd be room for a subplot or two, but I guess that's difficult when there's no downtime for the team and they're all away from home.

Still, though, you could have Patriot and Magneto butting heads over leadership, and maybe more of a schism in the team about how to address the present situation. This series is long as hell, though, so I suppose there's still time for all of that.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If Wonder Girl was captured by a villain I don't expect Superboy to go "we have to go save my girlfriend!", he would probably say "we have to go save Cassie!" Just the way it written in comparison to everyone else's lines seemed off. They know he's your boyfriend, everyone knows he's your boyfriend, and you've been doing this superhero stuff for a while.

edit: Avengers Prime #5 preview. Damn Steve, no wonder Sharon shot you years back.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Saying "boyfriend" instead of the person's name detaches one from the person even as it creates a connection, which given the line ("... my idiot boyfriend...") is exactly what he'd want to do.

The only other line that would have the same effect would be, "Can we go save that idiot..." but neither one is more or less clumsy than the other, they just summon a different picture.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If Wonder Girl was captured by a villain I don't expect Superboy to go "we have to go save my girlfriend!", he would probably say "we have to go save Cassie!" Just the way it written in comparison to everyone else's lines seemed off. They know he's your boyfriend, everyone knows he's your boyfriend, and you've been doing this superhero stuff for a while.

edit: Avengers Prime #5 preview. Damn Steve, no wonder Sharon shot you years back.

Maybe open mouth kissing is the polite way to say goodbye in blue people culture? Maybe Steve is being diplomatic, Captain Kirk style!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thor: Mighty Avenger #8, the last issue forever and ever

twisting the knife a bit by saying it was "8 of 8" on the cover.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Groovy.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I knew his scripts were long, but I didn't think in total it would be bigger than a novel

Lux on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Bunch of previews for Marvel books next week. Way to balance your schedule Marvel.

Avengers #9 has a Steve and Tony talk-off, and they were doing so well going on vacation to bro-halla and working out their problems.

And New Avengers #8 has Cage trying to make Jessica change her codename while on a dinner date.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Jeez Steve is like Tony's mother, telling him he is dissapointed like that

Though it is nice to see someone call Tony out on his ego

Solar on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Why is it Tony always gets called for his ego but Steve is given a pass? He was going to kill Tony because he disagreed with him until the 9/11 heroes tackled him. Steve even has a secret team of Avengers doing stuff.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why is it Tony always gets called for his ego but Steve is given a pass? He was going to kill Tony because he disagreed with him until the 9/11 heroes tackled him. Steve even has a secret team of Avengers doing stuff.

Come on, he wasn't going to kill Tony. He stops himself.

And then he surrenders to the authorities, which is clearly an act of humility.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sure Steve has a massive ego

And him being "dissapointed" with everyone who disagrees with him is lame and patronising.

But he at least is not Tony Stark

Solar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Come on, he wasn't going to kill Tony. He stops himself.

And then he surrenders to the authorities, which is clearly an act of humility.

After he destroyed half the city in his temper tantrum. And while Tony has an ego, he doesn't cheat on his girlfriend when he's in another dimension because it's not the same zipcode.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Steve Rogers has an ego?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Since Mark Millar wrote him, yes. It's like the mark of Cain.

Joking aside, there was another time during later Avengers West Coast issues, particularly #102, where Steve kept acting like he was the oldest/longest serving Avenger and Tony had to keep telling him "dude, I helped found this team." ANd thus Force Works was born.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    After he destroyed half the city in his temper tantrum. And while Tony has an ego, he doesn't cheat on his girlfriend when he's in another dimension because it's not the same zipcode.
    It wasn't so much a temper tantrum, as it was liberating heroes from a prison that was literally making them suicidal.

And if we start listing all the ways Bendis ignores characterization and continuity outside his own books for cheap gags, we'll be here all day.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Every time Captain America is discussed on this forum I want to tear my own face off

let's talk about serve and protect instead

are they actually going to resolve the dangling Blink plot point from Necrosha in an anthology book?

Furu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Did they bring her back to life, 20 years later?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah along with everyone else from that arc but she didn't get re-killed again like everyone else.

Furu on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like how when I go to Wikipedia and look up blink the very first thing they talk about is the awesome AoA/exiles blink instead of the 616 version. It's a delightful twist.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I like how when I go to Wikipedia and look up blink the very first thing they talk about is the awesome AoA/exiles blink instead of the 616 version. It's a delightful twist.

Didn't 616 Blink die within the first 4 issues of Generation X?

e: oh hey, I can wiki it.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Which is kind of the odd thing, bringing back the Blink no one really wants. And to just make her AoA/Exiles Blink would be redundant and pointless. Especially with the X-Men, bringing her into our timeline shouldn't be that hard.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They need to keep her out of the 616 so she'll be around next time Marvel tries to re-boot Exiles. Remember when they brought Nocturne to the main Marvel universe? Ewwww....

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Which is kind of the odd thing, bringing back the Blink no one really wants. And to just make her AoA/Exiles Blink would be redundant and pointless.

Considering she's still a minion of Selene I doubt they're going to do that.

Also I don't expect an Exiles book for a while given the comic buying audience's constantly proven distaste for books that "don't count".

Furu on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So Steve Rogers is annoyed he wasn't included in the Infinity Watch?

Whining baby.

Karl on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Steve Rogers is more pissed about the Illuminati

Which is sort of legit

I mean it's not like superheroes don't do that all the time

but the illuminati were kind of dicks who made some mistakes and then didn't tell anyone

Solar on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Didn't the Hulk out the illuminati in WWH? i don't understand why everyone is so surprised all of a sudden.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    unless it's a massive red herring, looks like Johnny Storm is going to bite it against the annihilation wave

Dr. Frenchenstein on