As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sharn Noir 4e PBP (OOC)

streeverstreever Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Critical Failures
Accepted Submissions:

Tarak Velasto http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2799
Darren O'Dekker http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2797
Karash http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2793
Wall http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2792
Samreedi http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2795

I'm looking for 5 players, level 3, to play in an Eberron-based campaign starting with an adventure I wrote.

The atmosphere of this game is going to be noir--shades of grey, essentially. I don't want evil characters, but your character should probably not be a paragon of virtue--have some vices, don't mind a little blood shed, be willing to bend the rules to get your way. Think of Jack Nicholson's character in Chinatown, or the insurance investigator in Double Indemnity, willing to murder a man because he falls in love with his abused wife.

The first adventure may not have a strong investigation element (I'm still working out some details, but have the first 2 encounters planned/mapped) but follow-up adventures will.

Submissions:
Please be creative!

The mechanics of your character are far less important than the hook you use to tie your character into Eberron. Keep in mind, you are level 3, so "former king of the dwarves, slayer of the dragon Frostfoe" is not a real background, nor is, "3,000 year old Warforged who has slain countless enemies".

Pretty much any race/class is fine, so long as you can give me a good backstory, and your character originates in Eberron.

The preferred character is going to be:
  • Someone who has a reason for being in Sharn
  • Someone who has a backstory as to why they are an adventurer
  • Someone who has a connection to Sharn
  • Someone who has financial needs/other motivations for accompanying a group of adventurers (including intra-group friendship or background)
  • Neither Evil nor a paragon of virtue
  • A complete submission will include: a character summary, basic character sheet, and any preference you have re: loot (inherent bonuses or not). Summaries should explain why you became an adventurer and who you are in the world.
Summary Examples:

Sample one:
"Teneous Debraun is a Tiefling Artificer. He is a student at Morgrave University, and takes side jobs in order to pay his tuition. He prefers adventures that could bring him into contact with ancient civilizations remains or magical items. His thesis is on Dhakanni earthenware and jugs used for water. He has no family, being an orphan of The Last War. He came of age in an orphange in Sharn, in the Highwall Ward of Lower Tavicks Landing.
He first tried to make a living as a pickpocket, but was caught by Professor Daventh, a Dwarf scholar at Morgrave University. Being a kind soul at heart, Daventh took him in, and now he studies at Morgrave, following in his footsteps. His mentor is still active in his life, and he is overseeing his thesis work."

Sample two:
"Kahren An'See is a gnomish rogue. A young member of House Sivas from Korranberg, she has a thirst for knowledge and the Mark of Scribing. She seeks out any clue to the draconic prophecy, and sends her findings back to the main library via her contact Breggan, a courier who works for the House Orien Couriers Guild.

She has few friends in Sharn, and currently lives in Deathsgate, in a boarding house with other adventurers. She has heard rumors of the Council and hopes to someday meet a dragon."

Sample three:
"Devlin Jakkar, a human Warlord, was born and raised in Sharn. Third son of a member of the aristocracy, he had a lazy youth, but trained in the sword and became an officer in the Last War through family connections.

His career was cut short by the Day of Mourning. Although he saw little action, he saw friends die and atrocities he wasn't prepared for.

Devlin tries hard to keep a smile on his face, but he knows that his own inexperience led to death for others, and he makes his way now without his families help. He still is close to his parents, although his mother is often bewildered by his choice of residence--he lives in Deathsgate in a cheap apartment--and wonder why he won't accept financial aid. His sword (a +1 Flaming Longsword) was a present from his father upon receiving his military commission."

Character Sheet: You know this drill. Orokos is preferred, but if you don't have it, Invisible Castle is fine. No need to go crazy on this until you are selected.

Mechanics:
Standard drill for 3rd level characters (bonus gold, standard items free, 3rd level magic item, 4th level, and 2nd level). Use your starting gold on whatever you like.

Please give me a wishlist of items at some point AFTER you are selected. (No point doing this before you are selected) As long or as short as you want. Just item name and level.

I am thinking about using inherent bonuses for the enhancement bonuses, so I don't have to deal with that book-keeping, or just being easy with gold/conversion of items that you don't like. If we do use inherent bonuses, I'll still give you items with powers.

We will use a pretty simple format for posting. Grey is OOC. Please write as much OOC as you like! I am not worried about cluttering up the thread with OOC. I am more worried about the game dying out. I find the game works better if people OOC a lot in addition to IC.

IC is just normal text.

Combat turns should be in this format:
Characters Turn
SPOILER
Move Action:
Shift 1 to G16

Standard: Action
Orokos/IC roll link listing power used
Target Defense/roll value
Damage dealt

Minor:
Dwarf second wind, regain 16 HP

Any Saves:
Roll with link to Orokos/IC

Summary:
PC is in G16, 31/45 HP Status: Dazed
Monster 30/50 HP, Status, Marked

Expectations/Requirements:
Please, please, please, one post per day during weekdays and one total post for weekends. If you have internet problems or don't think that will be possible, let me know. I really want players who are going to be active & role-play as well as participate in combat.

I think we'll set up a "group chat" in google/irc or some place else so you can pop in and talk things over with anyone who happens to be online. I think without the possibility for some casual conversation, a lot of times these things get bogged down.

If you can't do the real time chat ever, that is fine, but please make sure you do post once a day, even if it is just OOC. If there is a strong push to do something & no one has written a dissenting point of view after a day, I may just push us forward to keep the game moving. I have witnessed so many of these games die horrible deaths that I will try to be really proactive at keeping players involved. We will trade emails before we start to make sure we can reach each other if there is a problem.

Deadlines & Timing:
I'd like to keep recruitment open for about a week, what with holidays and all. Let's say submissions close next Tuesday the 28th, and I will choose the fated five for a start on Monday, the 3rd of January.

streever on

• streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hm, one more thought about posting.

I know it is probably super annoying, but if your character has nothing to say/contribute in a section, just post ready! in OOC to let me know I can move on.

Also, feel free to post your character's thoughts in the thread at any point, preferably in italics or something. It makes for more interesting characters, and gives me an insight into what your character wants. I may even award bonuses beyond the basic bonus of tailored things for your character.

streever on
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Boosh! Blue dot for great justice!

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I might come up with something for this. I love Noir stories in general and would love to see how DnD pulls it off.

samurai6966 on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wall is a Warforged Warlord; formerly owned by House Kundarak and originally commissioned as a caravan guard during the Last War, a raid on a lightning rail train he was guarding led to him falling onto the rails themselves and becoming severely damaged. Though able to recover enough to see the raiders driven off, the House considered their projections of Wall's ongoing maintenance uneconomical and emancipated him, effectively requiring him to turn to mercenary work and attempting self-repair to survive.
    In those early days, and with much of his memory as damaged as his body, Wall's first employers were barely more than low level thugs looking for a reliable lookout, but as Wall slowly recovered, he learned and learned quickly that this new life was likely to be very short, and more than that, he, Wall, did not want it to be so.
    This changed perspective heralded a change in Wall's tactics both in and out of combat; turning aside from questionably legal work, he sought out work familiar to him, becoming a caravan scout for a time until another raid, and his skill in leading the defence and patching up the wounded (using data gained through painful experience in patching himself up), caused one of the caravan drivers to remark that he could probably make a decent living as an adventurer. And there's no better place on Khorvaire to find adventure than Sharn...

Wall@Orokos
    Basic meta-background is that Wall came out of the tank as a fighter but his experience with a lightning rail conductor stone has boosted his intelligence somewhat, but he lost of a lot of his former dexterity after his abortive attempts at self-repair and has now effectively re-forged himself as a warlord.
    Statblock get:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Wall, level 3
    Warforged, Warlord
    Warlord: Battlefront Leader
    Commanding Presence: Tactical Presence
    Student of the Sword: Student of One-Handed Weapons
    Background: Sharn, Caravan Scout, Occupation - Criminal, Society - Poor, Muscle, Recent Life - Mercenary Work (Perception class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 14, Dex 8, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 12, Dex 8, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 10.

AC: 20 Fort: 17 Reflex: 17 Will: 15
    HP: 36 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
    Heal +7, Athletics +7, Endurance +7, Perception +11, Intimidate +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -3, Arcana +4, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +2, History +4, Insight +4, Nature +2, Religion +4, Stealth -3, Streetwise +1, Thievery -3

FEATS
    Level 1: Student of the Sword
    Level 2: Wary Fighter

POWERS
    Warlord at-will 1: Inevitable Wave
    Warlord at-will 1: Commander's Strike
    Warlord encounter 1: Warlord's Favor
    Warlord daily 1: Lead the Attack
    Warlord utility 2: Inspiring Fortitude
    Warlord encounter 3: Follow Me In

ITEMS
    Vigilant Blade Longsword +1, Hero's Hide Armor +1, Heavy Shield, Backpack (empty), Flint and Steel, Belt Pouch (empty), Grappling Hook, Pitons (20), Hammer, Silk Rope (50 ft.), Sunrod (2), Amulet of Warding +1, Cannith Goggles (heroic tier), Woundpatch (heroic tier) (2)
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have a character in my head I want to submit. I don't know a whole lot about Ebberon so I will have to do some researching. What I am thinking is a Eladrin Bard who wants to be Frank Sinatra, and believes the shortest path to celebrity is by participating in an important event. He likes wine and women a bit more than is healthy for him, and he revels in it. He is a coward at heart and rationalizes this by considering himself the brains of any group.

Would this type of character jive with ebberon? Most of what I know about the setting I learned from the RTS.

Alkey42 on
    edited December 2010
    Alkey42 wrote: »
    I have a character in my head I want to submit. I don't know a whole lot about Ebberon so I will have to do some researching. What I am thinking is a Eladrin Bard who wants to be Frank Sinatra, and believes the shortest path to celebrity is by participating in an important event. He likes wine and women a bit more than is healthy for him, and he revels in it. He is a coward at heart and rationalizes this by considering himself the brains of any group.

Would this type of character jive with ebberon? Most of what I know about the setting I learned from the RTS.

Definitely!

Eladrin MOSTLY live on their own plane, and rarely come into contact with other people. However, that doesn't mean your character can't exist! Pretty much ANYTHING can exist in Eberron. In your character's case, I'd suggest that he was unappreciated in his own city, and so travelled through the planes into the Eldeen Reaches (large forest North West of Breland, where the City Sharn is) and hitch-hiked to Sharn.

Sharn is the city we'll be adventuring in and has a big entertainment district & many famous performers, so it is a natural spot for him to gravitate toward.

For anyone who doesn't know Eberron:
    http://www.slideboom.com/presentations/55244/Eberron-in-Ten-Minutes
    this slideshow sums up things pretty well, and actually only runs in 5 minutes, not ten, so it is a quick intro.

then for some extra background info/targeted info, you can go to this wiki:
    http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/

I think the critical things are at http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/sharn (the page on Sharn) and "About Eberron" in the top nav bar--in particular the "Power Groups" (so you can give your character some association), and "Lore/history" so you understand what the world is about.

The biggest recent event is "The Last War". Most of your characters should have SOME mention of it's influence on them (it happened about 4 years ago). The War was a war over who would rule the main continent. In the end, one nation, Cyre, was eliminated (now it is called The Mourning) by some force which remains unexplained. This lead to the treaty which ended the war and divided the continent into separate nations. Now, a shadow war wages on, with no direct aggression but troop build-ups and espionage being common.

Did your character fight in an army? For which nation? Did they work for a Dragonmarked House? Did they ignore the war, focusing on their own ambitions? Did they lose family in it? The war was a major event in Eberron, and touched most people's lives.

streever on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I will definitely be putting something together for this.

I'm thinking maybe a halfling serial killer with a heart of gold.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited December 2010
    Man, I was going to do a Dexter halfling.

samurai6966 on
  • TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've dug out a character I got to play for maybe 2 rounds of combat, he needs updating, and an Eberron influence added, but I never really got to sink my teeth in to him.

Background I wrote is in the spoiler, but basically Cael is a Con-Man. Cock-sure, aware of how talented he is, and the money is just to keep score. Secretly has some depth and a twisted sense of morality to him, but mostly he's in it because he enjoys it.
    Transcript, Fairhaven Guard Corps.

Interview, Mr. Cael Noone, in relation to investigations ongoing.
    Interview conducted by Guardsman Kyler.
    Transcript begins.

Kyler: Do take a seat Mr...?

Noone: Cael will be fine, officer.

Kyler: Ah, well, it's for our records you see. I'm afraid I must insist.

Noone: Oh yes, silly of me. Cael Noone, with an 'e'.

Kyler: Hmmm. Cael? Not a common name outside of the Fey. You don't look Elven.

Noone: *Laugh* Indeed not.

Kyler: May I ask why that amuses you?

Noone: Oh, it's just something my father used to say. He was an Elf, a Bard of some renown, and one day a rival entertainer tricked him into stepping through a portal. He ended up on a world without any magical knowledge, filled with just humans. He plied his trade for many years, becoming amazingly famous, he said. He met my mother, a young human woman, and they married in secret. When she fell pregnant with me, he decided he wanted me born in his home, and he worked for months on a portal to come back. He succeeded the day I was born. So, I'm a half-elf, but growing up, my father always used to say I 'looked a little Elvish, uh-huh-huh'. I never understood why, but you just reminded me of it.

Kyler: Okay, then. Mr. Noone. You know why we've asked to speak with you, I take it?

Noone: Something silly about my trinkets, I believe? I will admit, they weren't very forthcoming when they were putting the manacles on.

Kyler: I would hardly call daggers like that 'trinkets', Mr Noone. They're practically Short Swords! And Guardsman Wallis has some Arcane talent, he reckons they're magically inclined, too! And Billy Wallace ain't never been wrong yet. *Cough* Sorry. Lost my thread for a second. Yes, Mr. Noone, it's about your 'Trinkets'. May I ask how you acquired them?

Noone: Well, the parrying dagger is a family heirloom. The Orphanage gave it to me on my 16th birthday. They tell me it belong to my father. I wouldn't know, I never met the man. But I keep it out of...

Kyler: You never met the man? But you just said he used to call you 'Elvish'.

Noone: I'm sorry Officer, but I think you might have me confused with someone else. I never knew either of my parents. I was told by the Orphange that my father took me there as a baby in the middle of the night, bleeding and wounded. He told them to take care of me, and to give me the dagger when I came of age. He died of his wounds right there in the doorway. That silly dagger is all I have to connect me to him.

Kyler: *...*

Kyler: Very well. The other dagger? How did you acquire that?

Noone: I stole it.

Kyler: WHAT?

Noone: No, I'm kidding. Really? You thought I was serious? Dear me, Officer. You really should lighten up a little.

Kyler: I'd love to 'lighten up', but in the last 3 weeks we've had more thefts in the city than in the last year combined. How long have you been here? 3 weeks, you said when first questioned? And in that time, amongst other things, the armoury at the Wizards Guild was stolen from, including the loss of quite a number of magical daggers.

Noone: It does seem like you have your plate full, Officer. It occurs to me, though. Surely the wizards had some sort of magical security? Something better than most laymen could acquire. And that failed to deter the thief? I'd be concerned that someone who could bypass magical security of that level could get ANYWHERE. Anyway, was there anything else, Officer? I really must be going. I have some supplies I need to pick up, and it's getting dark out. I'm assuming you don't have anything you can charge me with? Maybe 'not being local when a crime was commited?

Kyler: No, we don't have anything to charge you with. But do mind: I WILL be keeping an eye on you.

Noone: I'm sure I shall try to return the favour. Do tell your wife she looks better in the blue hat, not the yellow one, won't you? Goodbye, Michael.

Kyler: *Expletive Deleted*

Transcript ends.

Character sheet: Orokos

Rest of the character expansion ie. Eberron hooks will have to wait until tomorrow now, no time to write :(

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The new Executioner class makes me extremely happy in ways that the old Assassin class didn't. Poisons, stealthy choke-holds, less of the shadowmagic stuff...

Is it a class you'd consider, streever?

Gideon on
  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Blue Dot. Character submission soon

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
    edited December 2010
    I'm thinking now I might go for a hard-drinking, in-over-his-head, does-his-negotiating-with-his-fists, lower city PI.

Brawler Fighter, obviously.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited December 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I'm thinking now I might go for a hard-drinking, in-over-his-head, does-his-negotiating-with-his-fists, lower city PI.

He and Wall could know each other from back in the day maybe?

@streever: Forgot to add; if pressed I'd prefer not to have inherent bonuses but it's not a very strong preference either way.
    Also, would it be annoying if the robot spoke like this?

Mr_Rose on
    edited December 2010
    Working on an character who was a spy for Cyre but after they were defeated, he found himself without a country and is working with the Criminal underbelly as a common street thug. He may or may not be a snick for a PI or cop. Can I get any information about Sharn's shady side and what would a cop be called in a DnD setting? City Guard? Night Watch with Captain Vimes?

samurai6966 on
    edited December 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

He and Wall could know each other from back in the day maybe?
    Yeah, sure. We should figure out the specifics.

Karash (preliminary statblock); I'll be messing with magical items in a bit.

Summary Statblock:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Karash, level 3
    Half-Orc, Fighter
    Build: Brawling Fighter
    Fighter: Combat Agility
    Fighter Talents: Brawler Style
    Background: Sharn (+2 to Streetwise)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 13, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 21 Fort: 19 Reflex: 16 Will: 15
    HP: 40 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +9, Intimidate +11, Streetwise +11, Perception +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +4, Arcana, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +4, Heal +1, History, Insight +1, Nature +1, Religion, Stealth +4, Thievery +4

FEATS
    Level 1: Monastic Disciple
    Level 2: Brawler Guard

POWERS
    Fighter at-will 1: Dual Strike
    Fighter at-will 1: Grappling Strike
    Monastic Disciple: Stone Fist Flurry of Blows
    Fighter encounter 1: Takedown Attack
    Fighter daily 1: Master's Edge
    Fighter utility 2: Glowering Threat
    Fighter encounter 3: Slamming Rush

ITEMS
    Spiked gauntlet, Badge of the Berserker +1, Vanguard Spiked gauntlet +1, Reinforcing Scale Armor +1, Adventurer's Kit, Distance Handaxe +1, Inquisitive's Kit
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

That the CB doesn't recognize spiked gauntlets as free hands is the bane of my existence right now. I'm going to need to find some way to deal with that.

I'm personally a big fan of inherent bonuses, but Ironically this character has a class ability that is largely obsoleted by inherent bonuses, so whatever. :P

Character Vignette:
    The flimsy door swung inward, causing a visible eddy in the ambient smoke of the room. A heavy boot hit the stone floor, its rivets and buckles ringing for an instant, followed in short order by another. The boots' owner strode purposely to the single desk that populated the small office, kicked the chair out from under it and dropped heavily into the seat.

A sharp crack sounded through the room, and a candle on the desk flared to life, revealing the exhausted face of the desk's occupant. Lifting the candle from its sconce with a large, gauntleted hand, the bald half orc tilted it sideways to bring the flame into contact with the head of his pipe. A few deep puffs later, the weariness had faded somewhat from his prodigious brow, and the tightness had eased in his shoulders.

"Now where was that Karnassas file?"

He's a big, tough guy who is mean when necessary and who tries really hard to hide the fact that he's actually not a bad dude. I'm thinking he grew up in the lower city and figured out he was good at finding people and/or beating the crap out of them at a young age, and decided to turn that into a means of self-support. He's constantly on the brink of bankruptcy, and it's not unbelievable that this is a guy who owes bad people some serious money.

I picked the powers I did for flavor reasons. I'll be tweaking here and there to get it how I like it.

OptimusZed on

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sameedri the Forger

A day in the life:
    "You're absolutely sure this will work?" asked the man with the nervous eyes.

Sameedri pushed the paper across the desk, careful not to smudge the still wet ink. "This document," he said "carries the notarization of House Sivis. No one other than a trained scribe will have any doubts as to its authenticity. Now if there is nothing else...?" The nervous man took the hint and rushed out of the room, clutching the paper to his chest like a newborn child.

With sigh and brief wave, Sameedri closed the door behind him. Another sigh, and the ritual of silence cast on the room faded away. It's no use, he mused. All the magical protection in the world is no substitute for clientele that know the meaning of the word "discretion."

Things hadn't always been this way. Before the War, he was a minor member of House Sivis--an unobtrusive young gnome with a talent for languages and illusions. Working as a scribe felt as natural as breathing, and he reveled in the respectability brought by House Sivis' reputation.

Then the War came, and the lies soon followed.

It started innocently enough. Some falsified border crossing papers for a family of refugees, "official" discharge papers for a couple of deserters, emancipation orders for warforged unwilling to be sold like livestock... all these and more passed his desk.

Then the war ended, the innocent lies became harder to find, the dangerous ones became easier to tell, and his superiors grew ever more suspicious. So Sameedri did the two things any gnome would do when facing an unbeatable foe--run and hide.

And so here he was, from the offices of House Sivis to the back rooms of dingy alehouses in Sharn. Forging papers, keeping out of sight, and spending every red cent on magical means of protection.

Maybe it was time for a career change...

Sameedri is clever and charismatic, though he tries to draw as little attention to himself as possible and tends to shy away from any conflict he can't talk or trick his way out of. When faced with a problem that can't be avoided, he usually opts for an indirect approach. If all else fails, he won't shy away from using his magic to erase the memory of any potential witnesses.

I find that inherent bonuses are easier as a DM, but I don't have any strong preferences as a player.

Kilroy on
    edited December 2010
    Lots of great submissions already!
    Gideon wrote: »
    The new Executioner class makes me extremely happy in ways that the old Assassin class didn't. Poisons, stealthy choke-holds, less of the shadowmagic stuff...

Is it a class you'd consider, streever?

Gideon, totally! As long as your character isn't totally evil, any class/race can find it's way into Eberron. The only inflexible rule is "no one evil". Compromised? Sure. Criminal background? Sure! So long as they CURRENTLY value human life. Pretty much anything else can go.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    @streever: Forgot to add; if pressed I'd prefer not to have inherent bonuses but it's not a very strong preference either way.
    Also, would it be annoying if the robot spoke like this?

Thanks Mr_Rose--inherent bonuses I like the idea of, but I'm not sold on it, so I'll definitely be taking into consideration player preference!

For the robot speak, no, that is totally cool and also appropriate. I like it!

streever on
    edited December 2010
    Jabez Radoi: Changeling Assassin

Jabez worked as a spy for Cyre during the Last War. Days before the Day of Mounting, papers were found that revealed Jabez as such and forced him to run. Jabez found himself in Sharn, pennyless, hunted, and now without a country. Jabez changed his form to a Human, taking the name Rolinkien, and soon found work for a local gang selling dreamlily or knocking a few businesses for coins. But as all things in the lower city, Rolinkien was caught by a PI who was looking for information on an murder. After Rolinkien helped Karash, he became one of Karash's informant. Karash is also the only person in Sharn who knows that Jabez is a Changeling. When ever information is needed, Jabez shows up to Karash's door under a different form to keep the underworld from finding out that Jabez is Rolinkien or any other person in Sharn.

As far as having a channel to talk to each other, I'm a mod on a #village on slash.net. It's the sister channel to #mafia which is for Phalla but we all random chat. It's normally a ghost town so you should be able to talk freely there.

samurai6966 on
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not super up on Eberron, but here is my submission.

Darren O'Dekker, Hunter of House Tharashk
    The merchant rounded the corner of his normally docile business to find himself staring at a half-orc banging at his door. The brute was well-groomed, and bore a dragonmark that spoke to his lineage, but the smell of the swamps was thick on him, even miles away from the muck of the Shadow Marches. Most striking though were the orc's curious eyes and hair; two solid white orbs and a straight shock of white hair. Arik thought the man blind, but a sudden jerk of the head in his direction gave pause to that thought. The half-orc appraised Arik like Arik himself would appraise a flawed gem.

"Arik?" He spoke with a guttural tone. Before Arik could respond, the orc continued, "I need to see your property, it can't wait."

"Wait just a moment, friend. My prices are of course worth breaking down the door for, but I have a key right here. What can I do for you?"

"It's not your wares, I'm after, bub. I'm a gatekeeper and a cultist I gutted fenced a gem through you."

"You must be mistaken, I only deal with locals and the occasional traveler, but no one of note lately...Mr.?"

"Darren. It has to be here. I'm not here to steal it back though, merchant. I just need to see it, unless you want a Daelkyr to get loose."

With mention of the Daelkyr, Arik opened the door to his shop. He didn't want to be responsible for an evil like that getting loose. The half-orc stepped inside quickly and within a few moments pulled an emerald from behind the counter. He held it to the light of the window. "A map, just like he said. Looks like it leads right into Sharn. Could be harder than I thought...I'll need to get money for supplies..."

With that, the half-orc threw the gem over his shoulder. "Your help is appreciated, merchant."

"Well, I'm glad I could help, but that gem isn't from a cultist. I bought it last week from Memere Hendriss, a harmless old gnome with a few trinkets left from her days abroad."

"Cultist. If I had time, I'd burn the body myself. Check the basement."

Arik stood aghast as the stranger began a sprint out of his store, due west towards Sharn.

Darren was an initiate Gatekeeper in House Tharashk. Both of his parents died when he was young and he is the only sibling to not fight and die in the Last War. On his first trip a mentor to fix a nearby seal, something went wrong. Darren was blasted with an unholy light from the rift and has since been, well, a bit off.

He started having visions of cultists and demons rising from the depths. His superiors let these oddities slide until it was discovered that Darren had murdered a traveling pilgrim on suspicion of being a cultist. The evidence of this was not found, but higher ups in the Shadow Marches pulled strings to keep Darren out of trouble.

Darren now roams Khorvaire, attempting to keep the world safe from evil through his detective work and following his intuition. He is merciless with those he knows are evil and can be short and dismissive of those who question him. He is well aware of his limitations however, and has worked with others in the past to finance the pursuit of his goals.

Whether his visions are accurate or not is up for debate. He is keenly observant though and so far, the people he has killed have proven to be who he says they are.

TL;DR Half-Orc Christopher Walken in Dead Zone. Probably doesn't have psychic powers though.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    edited December 2010
    Great submissions!

just to sum up so far:
    We have
    1 controller
    1 Leader
    1 Defender
    3 strikers

I will probably go with a standard: 1 def, 1 controller, 1 leader, 2 striker. If I see a really amazing second post of leader/defender I could be inclined to go that route, too, instead of 2 strikers. We'll see!

streever on
  • TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm still writing my Sharn linking bit, I've never played an Eberron based game. :O

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tarak Velasko, Half-Orc Slayer

Tarak Velasto proudly fought for the nation of Cyre in the Last War. His unit saw many causalities, but Tarak did what he could to keep his comrades in high spirits during the fighting.

Upon returning to Cyre, Tarak found his home destroyed and his pregnant wife missing. Distraught, he has spent the last four years looking for her. His quest has lead him way to Sharn in the hopes that his wife is alive and well in the city; if not, he'll make someone pay.

If you need more fluff, please let me know. I'm bad about backgrounds; I'd rather let a character's actions demonstrate him than a biographical piece. :)

* I don't care one way or the other on inherent bonuses.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Henry "Hank" Gladden, Human Paladin

Background:
    Hank didn't care much for Sharn. It wasn't so much the people he took care of, he liked them just fine, it was the fact that he had to be there at all. Hank had a promising career going in Thrane. He was a rising star in the Church of the Silver Flame, his future was written. Success was just too much for Hank, though. He started arguing with his commanders over minutia, carrying on with married women and flaunting his disagreements with the Church. It all came crashing down when he refused to "purge" a heretic that it turned out was just a political enemy of his commanding officer. Hank told his commander where he could stick his self-righteous orders. Next thing he knew he was transferred out of Thrane entirely and to Sharn, a small temple in Dura to be exact. That's where he's been the last 5 years, dealing with the dregs. Nothing more exciting than purging the occasional lunatic thats mutters blasphemies and ridiculous prophecies under his breath. He cursed Thrane and he cursed Sharn, but mostly he cursed himself for throwing away what he had.

Character Excerpt:
    "Another day saving a world gone to hell." Hank thought as he collected his weekly pay. He addressed the paymaster at the temple, "Let the high and mighties in Thrane know I'm perfectly capable of deciding how much to tithe on my own, there's no need for them to keep taking it out of my pay." They were both used to the exchange by now, and both knew nothing would change, so the paymaster just sighed back at him. "Just might be nice to be able to afford decent food for a change," Hank grumbled as he lit his pipe, took a few puffs and walked away. It gave him some small measure of satisfaction knowing how much the paymaster hated the pipe smoke.

Pic:
    paladin.jpg

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
    edited December 2010
    Trevor Bellafonte - Eladrin Cunning Bard

Background:
    Trevor Bellafonte was born Erador El'Mahasul of the Feywild city of Alundara. He was identified as a very promising student in his younger years, possibly maturing into a researcher at the academy or a magister of the court. He was very intelligent and voraciously read the histories and traditions, especially those of heroes in wars and the ascent of prelates at court. He had a talent for the arcane and the arts, especially singing and string instruments.

What he lacked was the patience common with his long lived race. He did not value traditions like others of his kind. He would not wait 150 years before he was considered old enough to even be a part of "adult" society. He was ready now, making him wait because it was tradition seemed ridiculous to him. He came to the conclusion that his home would smother him if he stayed. He knew his destiny lied away from the feywild.

So he collected what he considered his "inheritance", including an ancient songblade that had been in his family for centuries, and quietly left his home city behind. Venturing from the Eldeen Reaches until he found a road to follow, and a tavern to play for meals and a straw bed. The closer he got to Sharn, the better the bed and he even started getting tips. He was often mistaken for an elf, something he was quick to correct, he was not a primitive tree dweller, he was of the upper class of fey races.

Sharn was a wondrous place to him. The constant activity appealed to him on a deep level. He easily found taverns in Middle Dura that would give him room and drink for just playing in the common room. His eladrin voice and songs were thought exotic, and he became very popular with the ladies. After 5 days of playing at his first tavern, he was approached by a well dressed human who introduced himself as Monty. He was led into a private room, and this human introduced him to the concept of a "Manager".

This is when he took the stage name Trevor Bellafonte. Monty arranged an open admission concert in skysedge park. He drew quite a crowd. His manager bought him new clothes, drink, and women. Trevor was finally realizing his destiny, what life was supposed to be like. He was approached by a steward of one of the high nobles, offering him a healthy sum to do a private show at a dinner party. He accepted and wowed all the guest present, including the teenage daughter of the Lord of the house.

The next day Monty and two burly dwarves woke him up from his night of revelry by drooping him into an ice cold bath in his private apartment. Monty was furious, Trevor had never seen this side of him before. Monty told him in no uncertain terms that he arranged all of the shows, not Trevor. He handled the money. And now the Lord he performed for last night was using his influence to block some of Monty's other productions in the smoky towers. All because Trevore made eyes at his daughter. Monty then explained that Trevor was going to pay him every coin he received the night before, then he was going to work for Monty until he repaid every coin Monty had spent on him, on his clothes and drink, on the bribes and permits for the park concert; and make back the losses inflicted by this lord, or else. To drive the point home Monty left his apartment while the dwarves dunked him under the water several times, then dragged him out onto the floor and worked over his kidneys.

From that point on Trevor was worked like a slave. He worked two stage productions a day, but always backstage. Monty had some sort of magical horn shaped device that when sung into would relocate the sounds to a person on the stage. Some no talent flunky of Monty's was using his voice to become famous, to live the life he should be living. The way Monty calculated interest, Trevor would be doing this for the rest of Monty's life, and maybe whoever came after him. Monty said Trevor would be free if he could buy out his contract, and Monty supplied him a tiny room above one of the theatres and a tiny salary. Monty expressly forbid Trevor from performing anywhere but where Monty told him too. But Trevor needed a big score. If he could get some notoriety, some fame, then Monty couldn't hide him anymore. He could get his status back, his life back.

I am not sure what inherent bonuses are, but if the family songblade were considered unique and its bonuses increased with level progression that would be very cool with me.

Alkey42 on
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok, here goes - I'm new to this, so apologies if I miss anything obvious...

Aspen Alvirad, Goliath Warden

Background:
    Aspen was found by the druid folk in the Eldeen Reaches as a young child. He has no real memories of how he grew up, aside from nightmares about steep cliffs and stone giants, and a sense that there is nothing left for him in the Shadowcrags.

When the Eldeen Reaches declared independence from Aundair, he was happy to serve his adopted country, honing his military and primal abilities with distinction. He didn't see the recognition and respect that he felt he deserved, and when hostilities ended, he finished his enlistment, packed up, and moved on.

He travelled gradually south, seeing the sights, before finding Sharn. The forest of towers appealed to him instantly, and he makes ends meet helping construction and repair crews, whoever needs a strong arm and a good climber. Every so often he considers settling down to a craftsman's life, but the pull of adventure and strange new people and places is too strong for him.

In his spare time, he often climbs up above street level and just watches the city. He can tell the difference between hucksters and real adventurers, who know the right way to do things. And sometimes, as he watches the city come and go below, he sees patterns that suggest that something much deeper is going on...

Perhaps if he finds a crew worth taking point for, he may dig up those secrets, and see what kind of fame and distinction he is truly worth. Especially if it pays well.

Aspen is still fairly new in town, but he could certainly have made at least some connection to other characters, especially those that he has seen before and knows to be the 'real deal', adventuring-wise.

From what I understand of how inherent bonuses work, those would work fine for me.

I'm on irc fairly often, a group chat sounds cool to me.

wildwood on
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for all the great submissions folks! Recruitment is now closed and I will announce the chosen ones by 5 EST.

streever on
    edited December 2010
    Hi folks!
    I asked, and you delivered. In the end, we had 10 great submissions, but ONLY 5 CAN MOVE FORWARD TO THE NEXT ROUND. I know, it is tragic, and with that in mind, it wasn't easy to make my decisions.

Drumroll please:

Mr_Rose
    Warforged are CLASSIC in Eberron. I also picked him because I think he'll have nice synergy with some of the other characters I choose.

Optimus Zed
    The tough as nails brawler PI gets me every time. And, hey, he's a half-orc, which is great because in Eberron being an Orc doesn't mean you're a second class citizen. Actually, it means you may be a pretty cool dude.

Kilroy
    Gnomish wizard with a dragonmark? Perfect! This little guy will be providing the Controller role and a certain "gnome sais quoi".

Dresdenphile
    A great hook there--just imagine, WHAT WILL BECOME OF YOUR POOR WIFE? *cue the evil laughter* I know, it's one more Half-Orc, but hey, sometimes you need two of a good thing.

Astrobstrd
    Or, maybe, 3 of them? Great write-up & background--very appropriate to the campaign & I always like a good portrayal of Christopher Walken.

Alright, Optimus Zed, Mr Rose, Dresdenphile, Kilroy, and Astrobstrd, report for duty! Now is a good time to get your characters united (feel free to give them a party name if you can all agree on something--maybe they have their own private eye firm? I like that idea)

We'll begin in the New Year. I'll finish prepping the remaining encounters.

OH:
    as for your characters
    feel free to make changes!
    don't feel locked into what you had. We'll say final characters due Friday.

BONUS FEAT
    You can take, at your discretion, either one Dragonmark feat or one Weapon Expertise feat.

streever on
    edited December 2010
    Ok, [STRIKE]four[/STRIKE] five things.

1. WOOOOOOOOOO!

2. I know reactive defense abilities (like my Combat Agility and such) can be a pain in PbP situations. If you want me to use something else (like the Knight mark or whatever) I'd be happy to work something like that out for ease of play.

3. What's your take on the interaction between Secrets of the City (Level 2 Streetwise Utility power) and Rituals? The power basically lets me substitute a Streetwise check for an Intelligence, History, Religion or Arcana check in a "settlement" I've already successfully made a Streetwise check in. Would that allow me to, say, use Streetwise instead of Arcana to cast Detect Secret Doors in Sharn?

4. I'm thinking Mark of Finding as my bonus feat, pending your take on the above. If I do take it, I'm going to reflavor expended components as pipe tobacco or alcohol.

5. I'm going to be in Kansas through the 4th, but I should at least be available for some period each day to post.

OptimusZed on

edited December 2010
    1. YES

2. They can be a pain, but I have no problem retconning something if need be! Combat agility/combat superiority are typically why I'd play a fighter, so we'll make them work. I'm typically on IM for work during the day, so we can always add each other there if it is a problem & check in real-time. But, I'm comfortable letting you roll with it for now.

3. I think it fits the intent behind the power nicely. Your character seems like a good fit for inquisitive, so let's do it.

4. Sounds good.

5. No worries. Let's delay the start until the 4th, the day you get back? It's only one day.

streever on
    edited December 2010
    Excellent.

I'll put together an updated sheet with the new power/feat selections.

OptimusZed on

edited December 2010
    1. Awwright!

2. Gonna take Heavy Blade Expertise (the new Essentials version) so this goes for me too.

3. Optimus, we need to sort out how Wall knows your guy.

4. Heh.

5. Most any date is OK for me, but I harbour an irrational resentment towards Mondays so this is good for me too.

Mr_Rose on
    edited December 2010
    Would Wall ever have been the subject of a manhunt? Or required the services of a PI?

Maybe Karash hired Wall as extra muscle at some point. Maybe now.

Hell, maybe Karash put the whole posse together for this job, and now he has to find a way to pay all of you.

OptimusZed on

edited December 2010
    That last one sounds like a plan.

Wall probably wouldn't have ever been the specific subject of a manhunt, but whoever was being hunted might have put him in the way of the hunters, depending on how far along his road to recovery he was.

Mr_Rose on
    edited December 2010
    Would Wall ever have been the subject of a manhunt? Or required the services of a PI?

Maybe Karash hired Wall as extra muscle at some point. Maybe now.

Hell, maybe Karash put the whole posse together for this job, and now he has to find a way to pay all of you.

I'm partial to the idea of Karash having hired Wall before, OR Karash having put the group together. If that is the case, we don't have to go too deep into how everyone knows each other, but it's totally up to you guys! If you enjoy coming up with the background story, that is very cool and I will enjoy it, but it is totally not required.

If Karash put this crew together based on limited knowledge of each of you (i.e. hired Wall as muscle before, heard of Astro's mad cultist hunter and was intrigued, has used the gnome before for deciphering clues, and maybe Tarak was referred to him by the Watch, and he does freelance work for Karash now and again to earn money while he searches for his wife?

streever on
    edited December 2010
    How many Mark of Findings are we going to have in this party, anyway?

I figure any of these characters could have worked with Karash as a freelancer at some point. If I had a big job that needed a wide range of skills, I'd probably bring in as many hands as the pay supported.

Even if that means working with a gnome.

OptimusZed on

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rats. You moved the deadline up and chose a party already.

I was going to submit a disgraced (only because she was caught)Lyrander airship captain (lightning and thunder spewing sorcerer) who served as a smuggler/privateer in the war, now trolling the docks of Sharn. Alas.

Have fun everyone!

Steelhawk on
    edited December 2010
    The deadline was always tuesday the 28th :)

streever on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It wasn't Friday the 31st? Why did I think it was the 31st? Oh well...

Steelhawk on
    edited December 2010
    Congrats to those who were selected.

Alkey42 on
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sweet! This works well for me starting later as well. Holidays + job are a bit crazy at the moment.

Let me know if we are doing inherent bonuses. I would like it just from a munchkin standpoint (2 weapons and all) and it would free up my item slot to be something a bit flashier than paired weapons.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson