As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Doing Something Different

FlayFlay Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My friends are pretty great, but whenever we try to plan something we tend to go for the default responses, like going and see a movie or hang out at someone's house, and it's starting to get a little dull. So basically, I'm trying to come up with a list of different things we can do when we're bored, so we don't get stuck in the 'I don't know, what do you want to do?' cycle.

I live in Sydney, but they don't have to be Sydney specific (although location specific things are welcome as well). Some of the ideas we've got going so far are going on photoshoot, donating blood, or visiting the Museum of Human Disease.

Suggestions?

Flay on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Coffee shop, rock-climbing gym (if there is one near you), geocaching (need a GPS) perhaps? Any craft shows/workshops/artsy-musical events around? Zoo?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Geocaching sounds incredible! I can't believe I've never heard of it before.

Thanks ND, adding them to the list!

Flay on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    yeah, also if you want to combine it with a hike I bet there's tonnes around the nearby sections of the blue mountains.

tynic on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Zoos, aquariums and museums can all be fun.

Ethnic restaurants with food that you normally wouldn't eat can be fun as well.

Also touristy things can be kind of neat as well. Like one city I visited had a Ripley's Believe It or Not museum which was fun to go through with some friends.

Invisible on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Urban exploring? Maybe not the hardcore illegal kind, but I really enjoy going to old industrial districts or just a random storm drain, things like that

even parking garages are neat.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    @Invisible: I'd love to go to all of those, but zoos and aquariums are so damn expensive. :(

@ZM: I've actually tried to get in contact with the Sydney Cave Clan a few times, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

Flay on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, visiting the Museum of Human Diseases sounds like something i'd see in a B-grade sitcom.

You should totally do that then tell us your stories.

Godfather on
  • Options
    -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Im going to second the geocaching. Eventhough I have been in a while, it really is a great experience. It also clues you in to places you wouldnt have found otherwise.

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    Oh man, visiting the Museum of Human Diseases sounds like something i'd see in a B-grade sitcom.

You should totally do that then tell us your stories.

They will be things that man...

Was never meant to know.

Flay on
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Are there any mushrooming clubs in the area? It should also be outdoor concert season where you are, so there's that. There may also be street festivals in Italian enclaves.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My friends and I have the EXACT same problem, its either board games or a movie. And its all very fun, but something we just need to do something else (sadly we don't live anywhere as cool as sydney)

If you have enough people then playing games/sport can be fun. Ultimate frisbee is pretty popular
    Swimming and beaches are fun things too, especially if you make it into a picnic

My friends and I play a shit ton, but if you like board games then there are tons of great ones that you can get (my particular favorite is Dominion)

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Flay wrote: »
    @ZM: I've actually tried to get in contact with the Sydney Cave Clan a few times, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

The Cave Clan were effectively shut down under police pressure a few years back, when a few idiots drowned going into drains while it was raining.. idiots.

I'm sure they're still around, but very underground

(see what I did there)

Ryna on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    agentk13 wrote: »
    Are there any mushrooming clubs in the area? It should also be outdoor concert season where you are, so there's that. There may also be street festivals in Italian enclaves.

Mushrooming could be interesting, and going to more concerts would be brilliant if they didn't cost so damn much. There's no shortage of festivals and markets around sydney too, but unfortunately most of them are pretty underwhelming.

My friends and I have the EXACT same problem, its either board games or a movie. And its all very fun, but something we just need to do something else (sadly we don't live anywhere as cool as sydney)

If you have enough people then playing games/sport can be fun. Ultimate frisbee is pretty popular
    Swimming and beaches are fun things too, especially if you make it into a picnic

My friends and I play a shit ton, but if you like board games then there are tons of great ones that you can get (my particular favorite is Dominion)

Something like that would be great, but it's difficult to organise a large enough group to get a decent game going. Boardgames are a bit easier, we were just looking in to a few yesterday (I hear good things about Betrayal at the House on the Hill). We've also tried running a few D&D games, but they're pretty infrequent and again, it's hard to get everyone's act together.

(Also ultimate frisbee is nowhere near as ultimate as it sounds)

Ryna wrote: »
    The Cave Clan were effectively shut down under police pressure a few years back, when a few idiots drowned going into drains while it was raining.. idiots.

I'm sure they're still around, but very underground

(see what I did there)

I remember that, but I hadn't realised it forced them to go in to hiding. Seems rather silly since one of their main objectives was to make these activities safer.

Flay on
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    A lot of fine orchestras give steep discounts or free admittance to outdoor summer concerts, although a lot of them are out in the country. For example, the Boston Symphony Orchestra goes out to Tanglewood, in the Berkshires, and holds concerts that are less than $15 per Adult (minors get in free w/ a paying parent). There will probably be free performances of some sort in city parks.

Of course, there's always candlepin.

For mushrooming, make sure to do it with a club with at least one veteran, and bring lots of bags (some mushrooms become poisonous if they come in contact).

agentk13 on
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Flay, if you can at least get 4 or 5 people then a board game is great way to spend time and I have a few personal favorites

-D&D is really fun but it takes a lot of organizing, especially on the part of the DM.
    -Dominion and Catan are great 4 person games and they're both fairly simple, especially once you get it down. I highly recommend both, but just be warned that most european games have terrible rule translations and you could easily spend a few hours just trying to figure out whats written in that cryptic book
    -Betrayal at House on the Hill is fun but some of the haunts really suck and then you're stuck playing a crappy game
    -If you like Battle Star Galactica, there's a surprisingly fun board game where you get to accuse each other blindly of being traitors, its a quality game.

lol how do you ever hang out if you cant organize anyone?

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    nixmix06nixmix06 Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    Puerto Rico is a great board game, one of my favorites. Takes a while to set up and play though.

if you're looking for cheap fun, buy a nerf ball, go to a nice size playground at night and play a game of ball tag. no kids, and the shadows add an interesting element to the game by adopting ninja rules. it's good times.

Also I know geochaching was mentioned several times, but that's a really interesting game to play. I had to throw my vote in for it as well.

nixmix06 on
  • Options
    jedikuonjijedikuonji Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you have an local game stores (pen and paper / board games) you might check and see if they do demos, open gaming, or something like that on some nights. Good way to get out, meet new people, and do something fun.

jedikuonji on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What kind of concerts are we talking here? Where I live a local joint has concerts all the time and they usually cost about $10.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hiking, biking, and camping. Two of these require different types of "hanging out" then the usual go to something for a couple hours which I think would be good for you all.

splash on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, if you live in Sydney you should get your ass to The Basement. They have some insanely awesome musicians play there (Jame Morrison (not the pop guy, but the australian multi instrumentalist jazz virtuoso dude), Maynard Ferguson, BB King just to name a few). If you check out one of James Morrison's groups, you'll likely also get to see Dave Jones (probably the best drummer in australia), Blain Whittaker, Emma Pask... lot's of great music happening there.

Trentus on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    sydney's a rad city for shopping, particularly markets. glebe, balmain/roselle, paddington, north sydney and i'm sure a whole bunch of other suburbs have great weekly (or near weekly) markets to haunt and pick up all sorts of handmade gear, uber-fresh produce and antique crap. i particularly love scouring for records, but i see everything from dusty old consoles and cartridges to belt buckles and leather jackets, not to mention cheap books

it'd also be really fun to commit yourself to an arts-and-crafty project of some kind and book out a table one weekend.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    @flowerhoney: It's not so much that we can't organise a D&D game, it's that we're all fairly new players and it's difficult to hold everyone's interest when the DM needs to keep looking up rules and combat takes forever. We're looking in to buying Betrayal at House on the Hill now, I've told a few people about it and they seem really keen to play it. Thanks for the recommendations too, I'll check off of those games out as well.

@nixmix06: Wouldn't be the first time we've hung out in a playground in the middle of the night. ;)

@jedikuonji: I though of that too, when we were looking around for Betrayal on House on the Hill. I've only asked one store so far, and they do them far too infrequently for it to be worthwhile, but I know of a few tabletop games stores around the city, so I'll keep asking.

@Zombiemambo: By concert I was really referring to much bigger events, but there's no reason we couldn't go check out some smaller gigs either.

@splash: I love hiking, but it's sad to say that most of my friends don't feel the same way. It's possible to convince them to go occaisonally, but not as often as I'd like...

@Trentus: I know of the Basement, but I've never been there myself. Although now that I think of it, I also remember someone entering in to The Magic Club one time, although I couldn't go and see them on the day, so that's another reason to check it out!

@bsjezz: Hm... Never thought of setting up a store before. It wouldn't be too hard to find people willing to make something for it either, since I hang out with a lot of arty/designy people.

Oh, I thought of some other things - there's a laser tag place in the Entertainment Quater that will let you have unlimited games until midnight if you go there after 8:00 or something (have to check out the details). If you keep your ear to the ground there are also occaisonal flash mobs that happen in the city too. There was a giant water-pistol fight in a city part just a couple of weeks ago, and there's a sydney no-pants train ride that goes on every year which I think is happening this weekend (last time there were 50 or so people, and there'll probably be more this year).

Thanks guys, keep up the suggestions!

Flay on
  • Options
    taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My friends and I started a salon, kind of, where about once every 4-6 weeks or so one of us will host a party and give a talk about some area of our expertise, with themed food and drink. It started when my friend found out his wife didn't know who Led Zeppelin was (!!) so instead of just telling her he convened his friends and gave a presentation. Since then there have been presentations on Judaism (complete with kugel, brisket, and tales of my friend's grandmothers); the art and history of the cocktail--someone brought spiced nuts and we all tasted delicious fancy cocktails for cheap--everyone chipped in about $10 and that turned out to be enough to get a lot of nice bottles of liquor and the host provided mixers, including homemade simple syrup, yum; Magic the Gathering, where the host bought everyone a booster pack and there was pizza, Mountain Dew, and cheap beer; Canada; and there are plans in the works for talks on whiskey, Abraham Lincoln, and North Carolina.

As you can see a lot of people use this as an excuse to talk about their personal history. It's been really fun, though, and the friend circle is about 20-ish people for each talk. It requires planning but it's super fun and people talk about them for months afterwards.

taoist drunk on
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes, a lot of people are gonna be very lazy when they hear hiking, biking, and camping.

But to reiterate its worthwhile to actually learn about what your friends are actually like (during hiking and camping, for a longer day bike ride this can be true too). You see different sides to them, talk about different things, do different things, and are in a totally new environment. I hope you keep encouraging them to do something like this. People can always enjoy staying indoors and shopping, watching things, blah blah blah.

splash on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Game nights are always fun, especially if really ridiculous alcoholic drinks are implemented.
    I mean, some people find them to be really suburban and old for their taste but
    fuck that they are super fun, especially with games like Munchkin

alternatively: organize a camping trip, go for a hike!

RubberAC on