As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25: probably got flying cars powered by plump helmets and beards

• BaiconBaicon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm having a bit of difficulty with the new military system. I've got a bunch of goblins trapped on one side of a wall of fortifications and I have 10 marksdwarves on the other side. Currently I have bone bolts set for training and wood bolts for combat and there happens to be a nice lovely stack of wooden bolts right beside my dwarves but they wont pick them up. They were using the bone bolts just fine for training. I've tried stationing them, setting a burrow and telling them to defend and also using a direct kill command. I must be missing something.

Baicon on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yarg, my first settlement has met its end at the hands of dehydration.

Got stuck for a while on trying to figure out how to get my Manager to approve work orders (he needs his own chair)

Then couldnt figure out where to place a well that wouldnt run dry.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You will die of dehydration anyway if you don't have booze. Water is absolutely the last resort for thirsty dwarfs. Get some plump distillable crops first instead of a well :)

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    stab my eyes, but skeletal thingies seem a lot tougher this time around. Just lost a fortress to skeletal carp within about 5 minutes of starting. My axe dwarves were no match for those boney fish.

On non-haunted maps I have done better; but the new military seems to develop skills a lot more slowly. They are barely competent weapondwarves within a few years; even with training as much as I can get them.

The dwarfwiki says that ammo selection is bugged, so whatever the dwarves train with is what they'll shoot with. So either have a forge dedicated to cranking out decent ammo, or depend on them plinking away with *cat bone bolts* or whatever.

dojango on
  • BaiconBaicon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    dojango wrote: »
    The dwarfwiki says that ammo selection is bugged, so whatever the dwarves train with is what they'll shoot with. So either have a forge dedicated to cranking out decent ammo, or depend on them plinking away with *cat bone bolts* or whatever.

I finally got them to use some of the wooden bolts in combat by crafting an extra dozen stacks and now they're using the rest of them for training. So yeah it's bugged. I might just have a few dozen forbidden stacks to use for combat until I get my forges up.

Baicon on
  • sgt robsgt rob Pure Rock Fury Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How can I double the size of this windowed version of the game? Im using Maydays latest graphical thing.

Edit: I opened the graphic file in paint and doubled the size of it but when it saves it gets rid of the transparency

sgt rob on
    Alien imposter. Pretender. I'll keep you safe now. Close to my heart.
    edited January 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    You will die of dehydration anyway if you don't have booze. Water is absolutely the last resort for thirsty dwarfs. Get some plump distillable crops first instead of a well :)

I couldnt create any farmland either without a water source :/

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011

dig down, you'll run into water eventually. probably. They made it so there's water and magma on most every map.

dojango on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    dojango wrote: »

dig down, you'll run into water eventually. probably. They made it so there's water and magma on most every map.

I always start by setting up outdoor farms. I tend to get rid of them once I have proper indoor farming going, but they'll keep the fortress going until then.

1) make one of your starting dwarves a herbalist
    2) wait until your dwarves have cooked/brewed/eaten some of the stuff he gathers, so that you have seeds. The gathered plants will provide food and drink for the fortress until that point.
    3) build outdoor farms, then build walls around them so they're secure and can only be accessed from inside your fortress
    4) cover the farms with fortifications so flying creatures can't enter. IIRC you could just use floors for this; apparently even outdoor plants don't actually need light, as long as they're grown "above ground". I've always used fortifications or glass floors though, because it feels right.

edit: obviously you need to embark on a biome with plants to make this work

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    sgt rob wrote: »
    How can I double the size of this windowed version of the game? Im using Maydays latest graphical thing.

Edit: I opened the graphic file in paint and doubled the size of it but when it saves it gets rid of the transparency

Maximize the window or just stretch it like any other window.

Amikron Devalia on
    edited January 2011
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    3) build outdoor farms, then build walls around them so they're secure and can only be accessed from inside your fortress
    4) cover the farms with fortifications so flying creatures can't enter. IIRC you could just use floors for this; apparently even outdoor plants don't actually need light, as long as they're grown "above ground". I've always used fortifications or glass floors though, because it feels right.

Yeah, I usually like building myself some sunken gardens. Channel out a 3 by 3 square or four and, remove the ramps, and then hook it up to the food production workshops. Walls keep wildlife and goblins away and invisible so that the farmers aren't interrupted. Sunshine and longland beer for everyone.

spoilered for fun:
    Imagine my surprise when goblins riding giant bats flew down inside and made my farmer's lives somewhat interesting. And shorter.

dojango on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Stupid cats keep getting out of my fortress. I keep forgetting to make my doors non-cat passable. They get massacred every time the Goblin Scourge descends upon my lovely KnifedJade.

My corridor of idiot traps is working brilliantly though. Goddamn injuries last forever though in this game. Is there any known way to remove infection?

Jintor on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Your cats getting massacred is a good thing. Trust me. Good Thing.

Unless it's causing tantrums, in which case massacre the dwarves too... >.>

hailthefish on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cats are a blight set upon dwarf kind by evil gods. Every kitten murder in Dwarf Fortress is a prayer made physical.

TheOtherHorseman on
    edited January 2011
    Well, I managed to do a bit better this time, had some underground farms set up after draining a pool.

But apparently I didnt make enough barrels, because when winter rolled around and the stream froze, I could no longer use it as an access point for water.

Unless there is some method that will let me turn ice into water.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Above-ground water can freeze like you describe. There are two ways to keep access to water. First, just dig down until you find some. It'll be down there somewhere, but you might have a lot of Fun finding it.

The second way is to build a cistern or reservoir. A good place to put it is usually under your dining room or hospital. Just divert a little water from the stream to fill it, but make sure the water intake touches the main body of the cistern by a diagonal to depressurize it. Even though you have this hint, you'll probably still flood your fortress the first time you try. Fun times!

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I find the best way is to set up a bunch of holding cells controlled by floodgates. Man, next time I have to dig out an irrigation system, I'm going to set up a controllable washroom too. And maybe set a flooding trap in my main base corridor just for kicks.

This game will be so great when Toady finally wakes up one day and decides "You know what? I'm going to polish up the interface today". Half this game is fighting the interface.

Jintor on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah water is easy, learn the diagonal de-pressurisation technique and you're gold.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Water_pressure#Diagonal_Flow

Build a tunnel straight down, a chamber under yor dining hall, put a diagonal in along the way to that chamber on that level. Tap into the river up top and you're done, the water will go down to the chamber but won't go back up and flood your fortress.

Use this to put wells in your dining room, hospital, meeting areas and fancy pants nobles houses.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    This game will be so great when Toady finally wakes up one day and decides "You know what? I'm going to polish up the interface today". Half this game is fighting the interface.

I still don't understand what a lot of the error messages mean, and god help me since Mayday hasn't updated for the latest version yet.

EDIT: Ahh, I see.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Amikron Devalia on
  • wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm browsing thus thread from my iPhone at work. Now if I could only play DF from it as well.

wavecutter on
    edited January 2011
    Hmm, does the iPhone support remote desktop?
    (obviously not MS style but through some app or something)

Amikron Devalia on
  • wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it might

wavecutter on
    edited January 2011
    The ideas, I has thems.

Amikron Devalia on
    edited January 2011
    dfterm might also work

hailthefish on
    edited January 2011
    Welp, I think I just had some 'Fun' sorta.

I accidentally used all of my starting wood logs to make beds, and didnt save enough to make charcoal>steel bars>steel axe.

So I couldnt actually cut down any trees.

Which meant the only resources I had access to were plants, stone, and outdoor farms. With a limited supply of water/barrels etc that I embarked with.

Managed to get to a Fotress of 55 dwarves strong before I decided to abandon it, since I could not for the life of me figure out how to trade with the Caravans that came through to actually acquire some logs.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ..you start with logs but not an axe?

I think you're doing that the wrong way round.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited January 2011
    Start with 2-3 wood training axes.

hailthefish on
    edited January 2011
    Its easy enough to build a couple of steel axes if you get the right starting materials, and its cheaper than any of the training axes.

It just takes time and making sure you dont use the supplies innappropriately before you finish building the axe.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Default embark setup has 2 axes. Just keep an axe!

Amikron Devalia on
    edited January 2011
    elves and dwarves will bring wood. dwarves will bring axes. But yeah, seriously, just keep one of the starting axes. I get that you can probably get all the mats for a steel axe cheaper than one copper axe, but that's penny-wise, dwarfbuck foolish as they say.

dojango on
    edited January 2011
    You can get training axes even cheaper and they cut trees.

hailthefish on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You youngsters and your interface complaints. Back in my day, game "interfaces" were demented puzzle boxes capable of summoning cenobites and cthonian gods.

The way I see it, conquering the interface is part of the DF experience.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited January 2011
    As I've said before, I rather like the interface, I just wish it were consistent. Some places you select one way, and other places you select another way, and some places offer you two modes of selecting an area but one causes it to crash..

That and some of the screens, particularly the military screens, are VERY busy and just SO jam packed with information that it's hard to sort it out.

hailthefish on
    edited January 2011
    LOL, okay, this was FUN!

Got my fortress to 91 dwarves, and was invaded by goblins.

My minimal setup of rock falls and spikes did little to deter them, as they slaughtered all but 12 dwarves.

The last 12 dwarves went on a full on tantrum spiral, killing any dwarf who was set as the manager, and destroyed his throne chair.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    That sounds like you won the game to me! Keep up the good work!

Amikron Devalia on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hooo boy, I may just be due some fun soon. My clothier has gone bonkers due to a failed mood (I suspect it was silk he was after, not the first time I've had this problem), and I suspect he is either going to throw himself into the sea or starve soonish. This will leave his wife widowed. His wife who is my 3rd best Axedwarf. His wife who has been training for three solid years and is starting to feel resentful. His wife whose baby lost a nose a few seasons back in a goblin invasion.

I have cells available, but my Captain of the Guard is a Proficient Swordsdwarf. If the Axedwarf loses it and starts attacking people, will she just be arrested, or will there be blood?

Ironically I've just breached the caverns to discover.... cave spider silk webs. God dammit. I liked that clothier; he was also my only surgeon. I named him Turk. :(

Mr Ray on
    edited January 2011
    Anyone have any tips for training War Dogs?

I build the kennel, and there are puppies.... but from there I'm not sure.

I can change the Puppies to available, and they will become adopted by some Dwarf, and trying to queue up a War Hound in the Kennel says there are no available animals.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • IncaInca Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone have any tips for training War Dogs?

I build the kennel, and there are puppies.... but from there I'm not sure.

I can change the Puppies to available, and they will become adopted by some Dwarf, and trying to queue up a War Hound in the Kennel says there are no available animals.

Puppies can't be trained into war animals. You'll need to wait until the puppies grow into Stray Dogs, then start the war animal training.

Inca on
    edited January 2011
    How do you get your dwarves to run faster? They have been chasing the same damn elk bird around the fortress like benny hill for about 5 minutes now.

dojango on