As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Iruka's Thread, Sketchbook Dumpin' since twenty ten Y'all.

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I really like that one. But I'm kind of biased. :)

NibCrom on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The lighting of that last one has some awesome lighting. Like the global illumination from mirror's edge.

wakkawa on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    I cant take much credit for the lighting set up, I should probably link to the original cover:
    akiracover.jpg
    People who havent seen the akira covers probably dont know its a parody. Mine is alot more purple, though.

Iruka on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I knew ;)
    Akira is a masterpiece =O

m3nace on
    edited May 2016
    been too busy for anything major,
    cvz7v058gqay.jpg
    lolohndq3kpt.jpg

092v4ifusj2t.jpg
    aal7mkczyb6b.jpg

wsm4zqctcfgn.jpg

Iruka on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I absolutely love what you do. I wish that there were more of you so you could make moar stuph :(

ninjai on
    edited May 2016
    Instead of being out celebrating new years, I'm in doodling and drinking champagne
    qobkddy2o2rk.jpg

Iruka on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    and watching big dog videos?

NakedZergling on
    edited January 2011
    flipping between the newyears specials, actually, but i did watch some big dog videos.

Iruka on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    HAPPY NEW YEAR IRUKA!

NakedZergling on
    edited January 2011
    Thanks NZ WOOOO 2011!!

Iruka on
    edited May 2016
    From last night, I need to go in and finish the blankets:
    pkx5kw0yjkna.jpg

Iruka on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pretty fucking cool Iruka, def one of your best things for a while.
    Can't help but think the light needs to just curl a little further around the mouth, as it feels a little flat.
    As such, also added a little light on the rim of the nostril.
    w6bli400.jpg

Mustang on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow really snazzy work!

I'd love to see some more defined hair in a few spots to make seem less soft throughout the whole image. Also the slight red lighting coming from the right seems like it would hit some other parts of the face too, like the rim of the ear.

Really amazing though, for serious.

earthwormadam on
    edited January 2011
    Thanks mustang, the light on the nostril looks good. I'll try and hit some areas and refine more.

Iruka on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    He looks so fluffy...want to pet...

(as always, your color choices are fantastic!

melting_doll on
    edited May 2016
    Added a few more touches
    x06n4x2jc04q.jpg

Iruka on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shit that is some nice fur.

I agree with Mustang that the red seems out of place by virtue of the fact that it isn't hitting parts of the head with the intensity that it seems like it should, but other than that this looks fantastic.

Fugitive on
    edited January 2011
    I did add some red in that last update... should there be more down the neck? should I maybe down play the red on his face?

Iruka on
    edited January 2011
    I think either would work. I like the current brightness as it is, since it gives it a nice color contrast. But it's not really clear where the light is coming from, or how bright the source is. Nailing that down will make it much easier to figure out where to go from there.

Sorry, I did some more really obnoxious paintovers. Maybe these will help you figure out what I'm talking about.
    wolfmanAMBIENT.png
    This one uses a more distant ambient light, which is a bit more consistent with the range of values you have on the face. Everything is affected by the light fairly consistently, there aren't really any highlights, everything is more or less bathed in the glow of some distant light source.
    wolfmanDIRECT.png
    This one is probably a bit closer to how you've placed the red on the body. It uses a stronger local source, similar to the blue light but less intense. Most of the lighting is focused on the upper portion of the face, and there are starker contrasts between the highlights and shadows.

In both of these cases, the fur is still more affected by the light than what you've got now. It just wouldn't make much sense for there to be that much red glow on the face but so very little of it elsewhere.

Anyway, that's... just my two cents. I'm anything but a lighting guru, so please take these with a grain of salt, but I hope that helped.

Fugitive on
    edited January 2011
    I was going for pretty diffused and ambient, so I'm leaning to the first paint over, But the second adds alittle more shape to him, I think. I'll mess with it some more, thanks fug!

Iruka on
    edited May 2016
    Shit. Opening this thread made me realize I totally forgot about that wolf. I'll have to open that up and re touch it. Somtimes I put stuff down and completely forget that I created it.

Been working in my sketchbook and doing a small amount of freelance, so here are some doodles just from tonight.
    q27ua6tx0jy2.jpg
    djlvjbe0p2f9.jpg

82pyfsgx4676.jpg

Edit:
    Quick touch up, maybe it works a little better. I'll try to keep a better sense of the light next time.
    l8d1s5x9ck3j.jpg

Iruka on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Those sharp eyes/nose contrast the pillowy fur really awesomely. Definitely dig it.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • cjmcraycjmcray Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    wolfman3.jpg

Ho-ly Crap. I'm jealous of your skills. Great use of colors.

Sorry I can't give a more longer, in-depth reply, all I can say is Wow. You're very talented.

cjmcray on
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for the compliments, dudes.

Smushy doodle from earlier.
    u38g2454cani.png

Iruka on
  • PukioPukio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really like the shapes of those two characters - in particular the differences in their faces. I think the interlocking of their legs is really lovely too, although the girl's legs look reeeeeeeally tiny (particularly her thighs).

Pukio on
    edited February 2011
    Thanks. She needs alot of adjusting, shes supposed to be sorter than him, but I used myself as a model for both, I think I over compensated on the legs and then didnt adjust her torso (I am very tall and horribly thin)

Iruka on
    edited May 2016
    Havent adjusted that thing yet. Got a little distracted by a doodle.

Edit: way for me to totally not post the image, Why cant I do this psychically yet?
    ucidl54wgppb.jpg

Iruka on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    IDK what I love so much about your color, but I waunt moar!

ninjai on
    edited May 2016
    Thanks Ninja, hopefully my output will be increasing. Refined just a bit, sorta a quick painting to loosen me up, so Im going to leave it alone I think
    fo2wmm9afi7j.jpg

Iruka on
    edited February 2011
    Purchased graph paper, I'm pleased with this decision.
    wanglerturnrough.jpg
    simpledoll.jpg

Iruka on
    edited February 2011
    Hey btw

I really like the animal pieces you've done lately. I'm not sure if you're using a harder brush or what, but they look solid.

Fugitive on
    edited May 2016
    Thanks fug! I actually never used soft brushes much in my old work. I would use really tiny brushes and scratch away at work to build it up. I've been being more mushy lately to try and soften it up, and I'm hoping my old habits will comeback and make a happy merger of the two. I never had much of a handle on making different textures by hand before, so I'm trying to get used to it.

heres a few little concepts, back to the game. The last chick was a wrangler, this is a swarm keeper.
    urmy261e66pk.jpg

Iruka on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    oh my god, Ive got fucking reams of graph paper

why the hell didn't I ever think to use it for turn-arounds

god I'm an idiot sometimes, I swear

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited May 2016
    Botp,
    borhploo18mc.jpg

I'm going to pick three of these and refine them a bit more ala the wrangler
    Wrangler.jpg

Any preferences as to which three?

Iruka on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think you should put your name in the thread title. I was wondering why you hadn't drawn recently but apparently its been under my nose this whole time.

I like the middle the best, however I think the puffy-arms undershirt or whatever doesn't look as good under the jacket type dealie you have going on there.

So imo the arms from 3 on 2's body.

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    Thanks Ninja, hopefully my output will be increasing. Refined just a bit, sorta a quick painting to loosen me up, so Im going to leave it alone I think
    seeping2.jpg

This would look really good with a black background, I think. I remember looking at it on my phone but thought it had a black background, is why.

bombardier on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Comment.

fake edit:
    That bird is awesome... i think it would look best with a blue background of some kind though.

And I also like the middle one the best. however i'm not sure I like the slightly scrunched dimensions of the character designs- it reminds me of FFIX and I can't say I liked those designs at all... but that is more a personal preference i guess.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited February 2011
    You guys are supposed to be picking three from the sheet of 8. The wrangler will probably be the middle one, though I agree on the puffy shirt. I think it will be 2's pants and jacket with 3's foundation.

Because of the nature in which I paint, it would be a pain in the ass to swich out the white background for a blue/black one on the bird. I'd have to repaint the swirls. I noticed a lot of white BGs in my DA when I was cleaning it out, so I'll try to get back to some environments and settings for my stuff.

On their proportions, well FF9 is one of my favorite games, so theres some disagreement there, but I'll be sure to do some normal sized people to add to the portfolio as well.

Edit: added numbers to the swarm keeper. Pick three from those.

Iruka on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Rook, I'm just stopping in to say I'm sitting here staring at these in order to give you some useful feedback, but I'm also at work with a ruddy lobby full of people making it difficult to put anything together for you at the moment. But I will, when things around here slow down a bit.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on