As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's talk ballin' last gen JRPGS

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can anyone tell me how much I have left in Chrono Trigger?
    'm just now in the Surviving Village. Crono. :(

Basically if I remember correctly it's mostly
    A side quest to
    save chrono
    or level up and beat Lavos?

I never beat it myself but always watched my brother do so.

I am considering getting FF9 on PSN...

Tallahasseeriel on
  • 13thLegion13thLegion Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, so no one mentioned Robotrek. I feel like such a nerd even knowing about that gem for the SNES. :D

And the secret about Chrono Trigger?
    Super spoiler...
    I warned you!
    You can attempt to beat the game at time you want to. Just hit up the bucket. Alternatively, you could check out the super secret stuff on the internet about the other odd places to fight Lavos "early."
    Like at the very beginning of the game. Heh, soloing him was so much fun :D

13thLegion on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My journey to complete Nocturne continues

I've finally gotten to the point where the demons are becoming more interesting

instead of little pixies and floaty paper thingies, I've got Baphomet and the Japanese god of war

how cool is that

Is this the game where one of them is a giant penis monster in a chariot?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mara's not in Nocturne. Not in Chariot format, anyway. He's infamous for SMTII, and he's also in the Raidou games and Persona 3 and 4.

Here he is in SMTII.

NSFW, technically.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/cjiwakura/SMT2/801.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    IpseDixit wrote: »
    My secret shame:

I own FFVIII, FFXII, Chrono Cross, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon Quest VIII and have never finished any of them.

Man, there's nothing shameful about never finishing FFVIII. That's the first Final Fantasy game I got through the tutorial mission (cave with Ifrit, if I recall) and immediately put down. It was just such a turn-off to me in every way, from the combat to the drawing magic to the characters to the confusion to the blehhhhh. It's like the game wanted me to not feel bad for not sinking 100 hours into it.

joshofalltrades on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FFVIII was so BAD

Also I am gonna buy Nocturne and Chrono Trigger with my first paycheck

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i always forget about mara

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is it really necessary to spoil stuff about Chrono Trigger? The game has been around for 15 years now.

CptKemzik on
    edited November 2010
    Did you not see the part where I said I was gonna buy it two posts above that

for

shame

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I had to return Phantasy Star Universe yesterday because it wouldn't work. I got a second copy of Dragon Quest 8 instead. Please tell me I'm not missing out on anything.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I had to return Phantasy Star Universe yesterday because it wouldn't work. I got a second copy of Dragon Quest 8 instead. Please tell me I'm not missing out on anything.

If you have a PSP go buy Phantasy Star Portable 2. Congrats, you now have a better version of Universe and it has PSO bonus stuff in it. And it's online mode is still supported. PSU is okay. But really only gets good if you have the expansion. The PC and PS2 servers died this year. Don't know how long the 360 are going to live now that PSO2 is on the way.

You'll enjoy DQ8 more.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So they've got those PS1 classics up on the Playstation store. Should I get Final Fantasy Tactics or Final Fantasy 9 first?

Peen on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I buy one or two games a year at this point

Zen Vulgarity on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    So they've got those PS1 classics up on the Playstation store. Should I get Final Fantasy Tactics or Final Fantasy 9 first?

Tactics is great, the PSP version is even better if you have one of those.

juice for jesus on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nope, just the PS3. My brother tells me I want the original anyway for the hilarious mistranslations, which we're both fans of.

Peen on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Phantasy Star Universe is worse than tuberculosis

The storyline and characterization makes "Everybody Poops" look like Richard III

The constant grind and linear gameplay makes Final Fantasy XIII look like an Elder Scrolls game

Just

Don't play it

Ever

joshofalltrades on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FFXIII is about as good as an Elder Scrolls game, anyway

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As soon as I finish my stats exam tonight, I am hells of playing Fable II and FFXIII for a couple weeks.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
    edited November 2010
    FFXIII is about as good as an Elder Scrolls game, anyway

I was making a point about linearity, not overall quality

joshofalltrades on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was so sad phantasy star universe was awful

luckily phantasy star zero was pretty okay

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Guys I still can't stop playing demon's souls

send help

Ledneh on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They really need to release the War of the Lions version of FFT on other systems

It is so good

The sometimes funny terribad translation of the original is not worth missing out on all the awesome

Nocturne on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    After reading through all the posts, I'm bringing this thread back up from the depths to say a few things.

1) Xenogears was a pretty good game. Whoever thought up the concept of making the second disc as it was though needs a few crowbar shots to the knees.

2) .hack wasn't perfect but I still liked the games and story. It's a pain though that the latest game is on the PSP and not even ported yet. If they had to bring it to a new system, I would have preferred it being on the PS3 rather then the PSP. It would have given them a more roomy disc to work with. Especially with the plot revolving around .hack's version of time-travel.

I'm not sure why they used this animation style for the new game's opening by the way

3) I've been playing the PS2 Wizardry game again, trying to get past the Labyrinth's halfway point which is where I paused playing the game at last time. It's a shame it doesn't get more attention. It's inventory system's not one of my faves from a game however. Especially combined with the spell-leveling system.

4) Does anyone know which JRPG I should try first on the 360? I've heard good things about Resonance Of Fate, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery and Tales of Vesperia but I'm not sure which to pick first.

Owenashi on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tales of Vesperia is supposedly the best, though I like what I've played of RoF more than what I've played of ToV.

Also, Tale of the Forsaken Land has a great OST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql5mDTw4RTc

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Owenashi wrote: »
    4) Does anyone know which JRPG I should try first on the 360? I've heard good things about Resonance Of Fate, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery and Tales of Vesperia but I'm not sure which to pick first.

do NOT play infinite undiscovery, at all, under any circumstances

the others are all pretty good

go for LO if you've got a hankering for total old-school JRPG goodness with better-than-average writing (and completely ridiculous outfits)

vesperia if you'd like a little more Anime in your gaming

and RoF if you want something completely different

Rust on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rust wrote: »

DINNER

Didgeridoo on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

DINNER

Nice to see the twins from Deadly Premonition getting work elsewhere.

Owenashi on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Infinite Undiscovery is alright. I never finished it but is has some decent combat. The main character is a bitch though.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

DINNER

That looks about as bad as this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYTPWAavALg

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited November 2010
    What was that 360 RPG that was, like, music-themed? I remember thinking it was gonna be good and being dissapointed.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    What was that 360 RPG that was, like, music-themed? I remember thinking it was gonna be good and being dissapointed.

Eternal Sonata?

I always meant to play it but never did.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I picked up Resonance of Fate over break.

After finals

Shit is on.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
    edited November 2010
    Is White Knight Chronicles any good? It's on sale on Amazon for $15.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited November 2010
    Raijin I'm taking you and making you my forest bride

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Raijin I'm taking you and making you my forest bride

Oh, my!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are they ever going to release White Knight Chronicles 2 outside Japan?

Satanic Jesus on
  • WilsonbaumersWilsonbaumers Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I think for Xenogears, they ran out of money and were forced to go with the heavy story content. I still dug it, thought for how dense the game was it worked fine.

Suikoden II, Breath of Fire III, Final Fantasy VII, and Xenogears all were wonderful for playstation!!

Wilsonbaumers on
    Gomu Gomu No...
    edited January 2011
    Someone used a Pheonix Down on this thread.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    nobody use any potions cause this thread just not NECRO'D

VALVEjunkie on
    edited January 2011
    I still haven't finished Chrono Trigger.
    I want to replay FFIV and FFV.

I have so many unfinished RPGs.

Satanic Jesus on