As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] This thread is closed for business

• AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You can mine your heart out and do codebreaking or arch in profession sites. Planet mining is way more profitable in 0.0 than empire as well. You can actually make a living if you build the right things.

As for belt mining, nobody really does it because it's boring, dangerous, requires multiple people/accounts, and terrible for money.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Avynte wrote: »
    You can mine your heart out and do codebreaking or arch in profession sites. Planet mining is way more profitable in 0.0 than empire as well. You can actually make a living if you build the right things.

As for belt mining, nobody really does it because it's boring, dangerous, requires multiple people/accounts, and terrible for money.

What is it about belt mining that necessitates multiple people? I guess I assumed everything in nullsec required multiple people, so I'm interested to see mining picked out specifically.

Silas Brown on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ages ago, I played a game called UltraCorps. You might think of it as a predecessor to Neptune's Pride -- a browser-based space strategy game where, over the course of a months-long game, you slowly conquer the galaxy. The game completely captured my thirteen year-old imagination. I loved the idea of a massive interstellar war being waged online that persisted over the course of months, where alliances were made and lost and empires rose and fell. I saw what was happening in UltraCorps and thought it was the wave of the future: emergent gaming, where the fun was dealing with other human beings in a massive world where anything could happen.

So years later, when I heard about Eve Online, I thought it was a brilliant idea. The idea of a totally player-driven economy, where players themselves gather resources and build everything they need, is very compelling. And I love the idea of massive alliances that control huge areas of space, with skirmishes and space battles between factions. Everything I've heard sounds great.

But ... How would I fit in? I guess that's the big question I have. I understand the broad strokes, the overtones, but how would I participate in that world?

Let's say that I really wanted to get involved in the Eve world. Let's say I wanted to be the equivalent of a hardcore raider or PvPer in WoW, or a diamond-level StarCraft 2 player dabbling in tournaments. What does a hardcore Eve player do, exactly?

Melkster on
    edited January 2011
    As a newbie, my secret concern is that the cool social and political stuff is managed by a handful of players while the rest of us are left to MMO grunt work. I hope I'm wrong.

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011
    What is it about belt mining that necessitates multiple people? I guess I assumed everything in nullsec required multiple people, so I'm interested to see mining picked out specifically.

A lot of things in nullsec do require multiple people, but with specialized enough ships and fitting, you can get away with solo'ing them, thus keeping all the profit to yourself.

Mining is the only really annoying one. Ore takes up a shitload of space in your cargohold. And you need a lot to make bank from a belt. Industrials are the only ships that can fit enough expanders to hold that much, but the lasers they can fit pull in a pitifully small amount. Exhumers on the other hand will fit strip miners to bring in the rocks, but then they have to warp to station every third cycle to drop off the stuff. There's a reason only bots mine like that :wink: You can always mine into a jetcan, and then bring it in with the hauler later, but that's asking to get it popped or stolen. Also, there's the matter of tanking the belt spawns which most exhumers can't do without some expensive mods.

Mining really does begin to shine once you get above 4 acounts though.

but anyway:
    As a newbie, my secret concern is that the cool social and political stuff is managed by a handful of players while the rest of us are left to MMO grunt work. I hope I'm wrong.

There's no way to sugar coat it, but yeah, for every The_Mittani, SirMolle, Shadoo, Imperian, or Krutoj, there's thousands of players backing them up and keeping the system from falling apart.

That doesn't mean you can't get there with some time and dedication though.

-Live in a weird time zone or speak another language? The diplomatic corp is always looking for people.
    -Like being the center of attention and have a charismatic personality? Join up with the FC training school, lead drunken roams, and if people have fun get your own cult.
    -Want to laugh at the tears of our enemies? Join the ministry of truth and stream enemy TS for all of us to enjoy.
    -Good at coding? Help solo with the huge backlog of programs to be implemented and get paid for it too.

So yeah, the circle of people that run shit is pretty small, but if you're not a horrible spy and put in some effort, it's not hard to get there.
    Melkster wrote:
    Let's say that I really wanted to get involved in the Eve world. Let's say I wanted to be the equivalent of a hardcore raider or PvPer in WoW, or a diamond-level StarCraft 2 player dabbling in tournaments. What does a hardcore Eve player do, exactly?

The hardest of the hardcore players can cover just about any spectrum of activities.

The hardcore FC's shout down hundreds of sexually frustrated neckbeards in TS while managing 10 different jabber chats with allied FC's, spies, confused newbies, and angry directors over a span of 4-10 hours while running strategic ops.

Hardcore spies are the ones running a hostile alliance, giving their members bad intel, suiciding fleets, all before stealing everything.

Hardcore industrialists manage 10's of POS in moon goo reaction chains while managing supercap production, and manipulating game wide markets for immense piles of isk.

Hardcore pvp'ers dual or triple box in fleets, run solo interdictors in hostile territory, awox (kill targets with a throway spy alt to tackle them), or fly supercaps.

Hardcore pve'ers dualbox 10/10 plexes (dungeons), run multiple mining accounts, or live in wormholes.

Hardcore bureaucrats manage applications and member lists, reimbursement requests, and sort through the endless complaints of 'he stole my plex!' or 'he was ratting in MY sanctum' so directors don't have to.

There are other things, but that's a lot of :words: as is.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The game parlance is "Corporations" but that's not really accurate, IMO.

They're more like space-countries or tribes. Your character doesn't really have a "job," other than for a handful of people at the top. This is especially true for the bigger corps. When you log in, you're rarely really expected to do much of anything, other than fight in the case of a fleet action. You're free to do whatever you want, whether it be mining, ratting, swindling newbies or whatever.

But, like any nation, you can't expect to be president or even mayor on the first day you become a citizen. For most people, the level of immersion required to be an officer of one of the larger corps is basically a 2nd job. It's not really worth it, or realistic, for even the more hardcorz players.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited January 2011
    -Live in a weird time zone or speak another language? The diplomatic corp is always looking for people.
    -Like being the center of attention and have a charismatic personality? Join up with the FC training school, lead drunken roams, and if people have fun get your own cult.
    -Want to laugh at the tears of our enemies? Join the ministry of truth and stream enemy TS for all of us to enjoy.
    -Good at coding? Help solo with the huge backlog of programs to be implemented and get paid for it too.

So yeah, the circle of people that run shit is pretty small, but if you're not a horrible spy and put in some effort, it's not hard to get there.

Wait, this is all stuff that goes on in MerchI? I want to go to there!
    The game parlance is "Corporations" but that's not really accurate, IMO.

They're more like space-countries or tribes. Your character doesn't really have a "job," other than for a handful of people at the top. This is especially true for the bigger corps. When you log in, you're rarely really expected to do much of anything, other than fight in the case of a fleet action. You're free to do whatever you want, whether it be mining, ratting, swindling newbies or whatever.

But, like any nation, you can't expect to be president or even mayor on the first day you become a citizen. For most people, the level of immersion required to be an officer of one of the larger corps is basically a 2nd job. It's not really worth it, or realistic, for even the more hardcorz players.

I realize you're effectively telling me "don't get your hopes up, you gotta earn it and it's hard," but at the same time, it makes me feel better about operating on the "lower" levels of the ladder. So thanks, that sounds awesome. :D

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011

As a corp, we do that stuff to a much smaller degree, but thanks to our long standing relationship with goonswarm, you'd have access to all their resources and that's where we do most of the work. ie. Courthouse and Anxekay (koreban and azekay on the forums) are part of the diplomatic team. DBRB (techinally merchi, despite our best efforts) is one of goonswarm's longest running fc's. And quite a few of our members have spy accounts scattered throughout eve doing their own thing. Our logistics directors have even started supercap construction, building those massive ships talked about earlier and helping feed the endless wars.

I realize you're effectively telling me "don't get your hopes up, you gotta earn it and it's hard," but at the same time, it makes me feel better about operating on the "lower" levels of the ladder. So thanks, that sounds awesome. :D

Yeah, modern man is pretty much spot on about things. Some of the most successful leaders have spent 4-5 years doing nothing but running internet spaceships as a second job. It's pretty insane.

So definitely don't feel bad about being lower on the totem poll.

One of my favorite times in eve was doing recon work in Curse. Spending a week doing nothing but scouting out enemy infrastructure and facilities, getting the info up the chain of command, and then watching 500 angry nerds descend on somebodies work they just spent the last 3 months putting together and now had to watch be destroyed was pretty great.

It was a small part, but helped with a much bigger impact destabilizing the region, boosting our morale, and especially giving our recon team the chance to be all smug when correcting allies' maps.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In the long run the only limiting factor in getting a leadership position is the amount of initiative you have to step up and volunteer for things. Also the ability to talk on teamspeak without making the whole fleet want to kill themselves (although DBRB proves this isn't entirely necessary).

This isn't to say the directorate would put you in charge of an alpha fleet on day one - you do have to put in some dues - but reliable leaders are the game's most priceless commodity and people don't get turned away because "we're too full, sorry."

Just keep an eye on the forums. Occasionally we'll have a "job fair" for different departments like diplomacy, logistics, recon, fleet command, blackops, intelligence, etc.

runaway_pancake on
    edited January 2011
    Holy shit, you guys, this sounds incredible. I still need to think about it, because my one RL friend that plays seems to want to stick to Empire space, but I joined for the full experience and damn it sounds like there's some shit to see an do.

In the meantime, I should really expand my personal efforts. Like I said, I've finished the career tutorials, but aside from having sell and buy orders on the market, I'm not really sure what are some good ways to be making money when I'm logged off.

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011
    Also fuck you CCP, respond to my damn petition so I can access my account info to resub.

runaway_pancake on
    edited January 2011

As a corp, we do that stuff to a much smaller degree, but thanks to our long standing relationship with goonswarm, you'd have access to all their resources and that's where we do most of the work. ie. Courthouse and Anxekay (koreban and azekay on the forums) are part of the diplomatic team. DBRB (techinally merchi, despite our best efforts) is one of goonswarm's longest running fc's. And quite a few of our members have spy accounts scattered throughout eve doing their own thing. Our logistics directors have even started supercap construction, building those massive ships talked about earlier and helping feed the endless wars.

Yeah, modern man is pretty much spot on about things. Some of the most successful leaders have spent 4-5 years doing nothing but running internet spaceships as a second job. It's pretty insane.

So definitely don't feel bad about being lower on the totem poll.

One of my favorite times in eve was doing recon work in Curse. Spending a week doing nothing but scouting out enemy infrastructure and facilities, getting the info up the chain of command, and then watching 500 angry nerds descend on somebodies work they just spent the last 3 months putting together and now had to watch be destroyed was pretty great.

It was a small part, but helped with a much bigger impact destabilizing the region, boosting our morale, and especially giving our recon team the chance to be all smug when correcting allies' maps.

Okay yeah, this sounds great. I really like hearing everyone's experience with the game. In fact, at work today I spent like two hours reading as much I could about individual experiences with the game, and they make me very excited.

So, tonight I'll do the tutorial and app to Merch Industrial as a terrible newbie once I'm done.

Melkster on
    edited January 2011
    Holy shit, you guys, this sounds incredible. I still need to think about it, because my one RL friend that plays seems to want to stick to Empire space, but I joined for the full experience and damn it sounds like there's some shit to see an do.

In the meantime, I should really expand my personal efforts. Like I said, I've finished the career tutorials, but aside from having sell and buy orders on the market, I'm not really sure what are some good ways to be making money when I'm logged off.
    Empire is shit and if you try to stay there you'll quit in under a month. It's really that simple. Convince him to come to MerchI.

But if he's stubborn and you get stuck there, do combat missions in the meantime. You'll be able to focus on combat skills which will help when you eventually escape to a 0.0 alliance. If you plan to join us, start training caldari or minmatar paths; those are the favored races under our current fleet doctrine.

As for passive income, market manipulation isn't very worthwhile when you only have access to a newbie's amount of capital. The simplest passive income stream for a newbie is afk mining. Buy an industrial ship and fit a mining laser and cargo expanders. When you go to sleep, eat, work, school, etc, leave it mining the best type of ore available in a system with at least 0.8 security status. You can come back in a few hours to maybe a couple million isk worth of ore in the hold.

runaway_pancake on
  • PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Christ on a cracker. Damn steam made me weak. I have watched this game for years and knew it would be my downfsll. Well, I finally gave in. I finished the tut missions and am running around hisec doing the sisters of eve stuff. I will likely come play in 0.0 when I get bored of the hisec bs and want to come play the real game. Pilot name is psiberian.

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In case people were worried about not being able to contribute as a newbie, this is a true hero of the swarm.

Edit: Hahahahahaha here's another one.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh, there's plenty of stuff to do if you're just Joe McCorporation.

But the level of dedication required to become one of the top players in a major corp or alliance is pretty insane and unreasonable. To each their own, I guess, but you'd be much better off investing all that time and effort in real life pursuits, like a job or your family.

Basically, it's cool that there are people in the game who are willing to put so much effort into the meta-game to give everyone else something to talk about. But you probably have to be a sexless alpha neckbeard to actually be one of those people. It's an unhealthy level of obsession.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited January 2011
    Not that any of it matters cause the alliance is gonna dissolve into civil war over the new logo. (planetfrog sucks)

runaway_pancake on
  • BluefyreBluefyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not that any of it matters cause the alliance is gonna dissolve into civil war over the new logo. (planetfrog sucks)

Same for <TEST> (Space Dinosaur sucks). :rotate:

Bluefyre on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i don't know why i keep reading this thread, every time i do i want to resub and come back, frigging eve, i can't just quit you :(

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Melkster wrote: »
    What's a supercap?

It's a bit outdated, but this giant image should give you a good idea of the sense of scale between titans, supercarriers, dreads, carriers, battleships, etc.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited January 2011

frogout in some form will end up as the new logo.
    our alliance is a tired old meme

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited January 2011
    So where would a dude need to go to find an up-to-date map of alliance territories?

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011
    Here is one of the more popular versions.

Baidol on
  • BaneonBaneon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    What's a supercap?

It's a bit outdated, but this giant image should give you a good idea of the sense of scale between titans, supercarriers, dreads, carriers, battleships, etc.

Okay wow, those are freaking huge.

Baneon on
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Has anyone ever tried to get gametime without paying any real money?
    I was kinda trying to save up enough ISK for a PLEX and would create character after character that I'd amass 20-30 mill or so with.

At the end of each trial period I'd create a new one and transfer expensive and non-volative items (such as those bounty things/complex cores/stuff that Concorde pays for) from my current character to my new account.

This meant warping randomly into space, creating a bookmark and then manually trade this bookmark to my second character by running two clients on two separate computers (trial accounts can't be run simultaneously) and then dropping off the items at that spot so that my other character got pick it up.

Ad repeat at the end of every trial.

At one point I had managed to 80 mill but then I stupidly auto-piloted myself into low-sec and got shot down. The latest amount I managed to gather was a whole 120 mill but I kinda gave up out of boredom.

But now that learning skills are going to disappear and with Incarna coming up I think I'll give it another shot in the future.

Shanadeus on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Baneon wrote: »
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    What's a supercap?

Okay wow, those are freaking huge.

Anytime I see that picture I think of how proud I was when I got my first Osprey.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Baidol wrote: »
    Here is one of the more popular versions.

Woohoo! Thank you. :D

Silas Brown on
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    I was kinda trying to save up enough ISK for a PLEX and would create character after character that I'd amass 20-30 mill or so with.

At the end of each trial period I'd create a new one and transfer expensive and non-volative items (such as those bounty things/complex cores/stuff that Concorde pays for) from my current character to my new account.

This meant warping randomly into space, creating a bookmark and then manually trade this bookmark to my second character by running two clients on two separate computers (trial accounts can't be run simultaneously) and then dropping off the items at that spot so that my other character got pick it up.

At one point I had managed to 80 mill but then I stupidly auto-piloted myself into low-sec and got shot down. The latest amount I managed to gather was a whole 120 mill but I kinda gave up out of boredom.

But now that learning skills are going to disappear and with Incarna coming up I think I'll give it another shot in the future.

With PI you could easily be playing for free at the end of a month or so, but you can't train the PI skills on a trial character, and its pretty much the same for any other advanced skills. I take it you are just doing this for giggles? It wouldn't be difficult at all to spend $5 on an eve account during a steam sale and play for free from then on.

fallaxdraco on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

frogout in some form will end up as the new logo.
    our alliance is a tired old meme

literally nothing but gimmicks

PiptheFair on
    edited January 2011

With PI you could easily be playing for free at the end of a month or so, but you can't train the PI skills on a trial character, and its pretty much the same for any other advanced skills. I take it you are just doing this for giggles? It wouldn't be difficult at all to spend $5 on an eve account during a steam sale and play for free from then on.
    not so true anymore

a lot of PI, except mech parts, has bottomed out

and it's getting a huge overhaul this month, so shit is gonna change

I mean, you can still do it, but you aren't going to be seeing the numbers you saw 2 months ago

PiptheFair on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    One thing I never really got about Eve is the ship design. What kind of bizarre architect is putting down the blue prints and thinking "OK, we should really have a random pylon sticking out here at an odd angle. We wouldn't want symmetry or anything, hell no. Also, fuck using standardized parts. Easily replacing things that break is for pussies."

Amar is the only race that has ships that don't look like floating scrap piles or built by people with brain damage.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited January 2011
    All the better because only people with brain damage play this game.

Baidol on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Piles of scrap metal is what I liked about Minmatar, to be honest.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    One thing I never really got about Eve is the ship design. What kind of bizarre architect is putting down the blue prints and thinking "OK, we should really have a random pylon sticking out here at an odd angle. We wouldn't want symmetry or anything, hell no. Also, fuck using standardized parts. Easily replacing things that break is for pussies."

Amar is the only race that has ships that don't look like floating scrap piles or built by people with brain damage.

this game also lacks any concept of newtonian physics so I mean

really

PiptheFair on
    edited January 2011
    Piles of scrap metal is what I liked about Minmatar, to be honest.

he means caldari

minmitar are pointy things

PiptheFair on
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

not so true anymore

a lot of PI, except mech parts, has bottomed out

and it's getting a huge overhaul this month, so shit is gonna change

I mean, you can still do it, but you aren't going to be seeing the numbers you saw 2 months ago

Yeah, it's for shit and giggles - it's like a super hard achievement I kinda want.

I did consider jumping in when PI came out but I couldn't be bothered and had kinda lost interest in EVE.

Shanadeus on
  • rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    newtonian physics doesn't account for fluid dynamics, EvE is a fluid universe

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
    edited January 2011
    Okay so, I have no idea what race to be. Does it matter?

If it matters, I'd like to play with MerchI and do PvP shenanigans.

Edit: Oh, also. Do y'all have a vent or something that y'all chill on? Or would that be corp-only information? I'm on the official G&T vent all the time, but I don't usually see Eve players there...

Melkster on
  • rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SPY, and all that seperates them now is starting place

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eve is a 3-D naval simulator.

Also, for those of you wishing to PLAY FOR FREE FOREVER here are the steps you need to follow:

1) Find somebody who is currently subscribed to EVE
    2) Get them to send you a Buddy Invite
    3) Get them to purchase a PLEX in-game and trade it to you. This will turn your trial into a paid account AND give them a free month of play time, so for them it's a wash.
    4) Do whatever the fuck it is you do to make money in eve and buy PLEX every month. You have 51 days to get there which should be plenty.

The only sticking point here is point 3, because it relies on trust since as a newbie you'll have no isk or anything for collateral.

Of course, if you can make 350m isk in 21 days (which isn't that hard really) you can skip that entire step. You should still get a buddy invite for the extra week of playtime though.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
This discussion has been closed.