As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Epic level Boston Noms

FrugusFrugus PhotographerMontrealRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Like many others I'll be traveling quite a bit for this!

Anyone has any suggestions on the best Nom Loot drops around Boston? Please do tell as I fear I will not survive for long without a Poutine from La Banquise*.

I've already tried Cheers AKA The Pub and Finch, not bad, I wast especially glad to go there for the "history" if you can call it that.

I was also on the lookout for the best Pizza in Boston but I did not get to hunt it down really well. I tried something called Bostone Pizza which was in the same mall/complexe where PAX 2010 was. However I've heard good things about a place called "Upper Crust".

The pour house: GREAT breakfast as far as we were concerned, though a bit on the ultra greasy side. I'd check it out again if I ever come across it.

Brasserie Jo: French place with actual French speaking staff (at least it was the case with us). Nice and a bit classy, but the price/worth did not feel right. Breakfast was not... enjoyable.

Please fill out as best as you can:

1- Best classy yet affordable (Caviar only goes so far)
2- Best grease spoon
3- Best Local (all categories aside)
4- Best Geeky
5- Best Breakfast

I don't actually eat Poutine that much, this is just a clever attempt to show what my stomping grounds are. Also, La Banquise is good but not the best, however it wins because it's available 24/7. That is all.

Frugus Eggbeater
ufCl1ui.png
Frugus on

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not a local so I can't really fill out most of the categories, but I'll give you my 2 cents. Upper Crust is good, but what I've heard from those who live there, you can find better pizza. The entire North End has excellent Italian food, it's not cheap, but I have been to many restaurants there and never had a bad meal.

nevermore13 on
  • SpetsnazShovelSpetsnazShovel Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Not a local so I can't really fill out most of the categories, but I'll give you my 2 cents. Upper Crust is good, but what I've heard from those who live there, you can find better pizza. The entire North End has excellent Italian food, it's not cheap, but I have been to many restaurants there and never had a bad meal.

Whatever you do, don't eat at Upper Crust. Not only is there better pizza elsewhere (Bostone if you're in the Back Bay), but they treat their workers like shit.

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2010/07/suit_alleges_up.html
    http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/12/22/upper_crust_retaliated_in_pay_dispute_2d_suit_says/
    http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/12/10/attorney_general_reportedly_to_probe_pizza_chain/
    http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/12/05/harmony_gives_way_to_exploitation_charge_against_upper_crust/

SpetsnazShovel on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Whatever you do, don't eat at Upper Crust. Not only is there better pizza elsewhere (Bostone if you're in the Back Bay), but they treat their workers like shit.

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2010/07/suit_alleges_up.html
    http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/12/22/upper_crust_retaliated_in_pay_dispute_2d_suit_says/
    http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/12/10/attorney_general_reportedly_to_probe_pizza_chain/
    http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/12/05/harmony_gives_way_to_exploitation_charge_against_upper_crust/

... !!!

Dude, thanks for the heads up. Be it amazing or not I'll be staying away from that place for sure, they won't be getting my money.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I usually try to get to a Legal Sea Foods at least once every trip to Boston.

Also, http://www.samlagrassas.com is billed as the worlds #1 sandwich place... and though I've only been there once I'd be hard-pressed to disagree (though I'm not a local, so I could be wrong).

zerzhul on
  • AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We did Fleming's Steak House last year. They had a prime rib dinner for $25 on sunday night and it was amazing. We waddled back to the Back Bay from there.

macrogeek on
  • territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does anyone know any great vegetarian spots in the area? Failing that, even just places that have a good veggie menu?

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does anyone know any great vegetarian spots in the area? Failing that, even just places that have a good veggie menu?

There's quite a few around Boston. Do you prefer a specific type of ethnic food (Indian, Ethiopian) or any?

schuss on
    edited January 2011
    schuss wrote: »
    There's quite a few around Boston. Do you prefer a specific type of ethnic food (Indian, Ethiopian) or any?

Pretty open to anything, to be honest. Veggie burritos or falafel would be good to source. In terms of ethnic preference, I'd prefer Indian.

territoires on
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    1- Best classy yet affordable: Stefanie's On Newbury. One of my wife and I's favorite places. Delcious, not break the bank, food.

2- Best grease spoon: I don't know that I'd call it a Grease Spoon but UBurger has multiple locations, and they're all a very guilty nom.

3- Best Local: Herrera's Mexican Grill at 11 Temple Place. Don't go to one of the other locations. Get the Pollo Collorado Burrito. It is my favorite food.

4- Best Geeky: The Kinsale has some neat wall art, interesting music and big wooden tables. It makes me feel like a warlord when I'm eating a steak. Brunch on the weekend.

5- Best Breakfast: Hop on the train, Red Line to Davis Square, and go to Brunch at Johny D's.

6- best Pizza: The Original Pizzaria Regina in the North End. There's no comparing to its franchise locations at all.

Scorpius on
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll second Stafanie's On Newbury, forgot about that in my original post. Went there last year for lunch before PAX and had a great meal.

nevermore13 on
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't mind some oyster bar recommendations.

It's not a tumor on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is no good pizza in Boston.

Also, check out Gaslight and Beehive.

VisionOfClarity on
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Imho, Legal Sea Foods is very good for sea food (I haven't had a bad tuna steak from them yet). Kaze in Chinatown has really good Shabu Shabu. There's also a place in Chinatown that does Dim Sum, but I forget the name of it; the front of it looks like it used to be a theater.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

No questions asked, try The Other Side Cafe (www.theothersidecafe.com). It's near Hynes, if you came to last year's PAX. Either way, it's easy to reach via public transit. Hell, they ever have a raw menu.

I wouldn't mind some oyster bar recommendations

Eastern Standard on Kenmore Sq is the first that comes to mind. (www.easternstarndardboston.com) They usually have 3-4 different types of oysters and I believe was voted as this year's best spot for them.

Onto the original questions:

1- Best classy yet affordable: my usual choice for birthdays and celebrations is Eastern Standard, mentioned above. Extremely varied food selection, and a cocktail menu that will make your head spin. You can get away with $25-30pp.

2- Best grease spoon: not that many, actually. Those that would count as diners will be quite a ways off from anything considered "downtown". I second a trip to UBurger. Honest, cheap, delicious burgers.

3- Best Local (all categories aside): Union Oyster House. On the pricier side, imo (at least considering the type of food), but it's as typical a Boston dining experience as you'll get. We're talking fresh swordfish, clam chowder, and baked beans while downing a Sam Adams.

4- Best Geeky: I second the Kinsale.

5- Best Breakfast: hop on the red line, get to Kendall/MIT and walk to The Friendly Toast. Here's their menu: http://www.docshare.com/doc/214361/new-menu-4-pdf Seriously, go and look at the menu. Is your mouth watering yet?

And pizza tends to be fairly unremarkable everywhere, but please avoid The Upper Crust. To say longtime customers have felt betrayed by the latest events would be putting it mildly.

lucazzo on
    PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
    PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
    edited January 2011
    Good lookin'. Otherside looks like I might have to hit them up. Turns out there's a good variety of places in that vicinity too. Somewhere called Bocolo or something? I saw it and it looks tasty too.

territoires on
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's a Wagamama at Fanuel Hall. Decent menu, something for everyone, and it's very veggie friendly.
    Mamma Maria in the north end is fucking amazing.
    If you're looking for a cheap lunch option in the north end I highly recommend Galleria Umberto. It's an old school italian place that only serves lunch. When they run out of food, lunch service is over. They have good (not great) pizza and super greasy arancini that... oh man, getting hungry just thinking about it.
    If you like sushi, go to Ginza in chinatown. Everything is fresh, service is great, and they are the perfect "giant party, giant bill" type of place.

A side note: If you feel like taking a break from PAX on Friday or Saturday head to Haymarket and grab some fresh food to snack on for the rest of the weekend. It's near fanuel hall/the north end so there's plenty of restaurant options as well if you want to make a full meal trip out of it.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't really speak to most of the categories, but it seems nobody is really hitting this one...

2- Best grease spoon
    Totally the South Street Diner. It's at 178 Kneeland St, probably a 15 min walk from the convention center (or take the silver line to south station, it's a short walk from there). Open all night, takes reservations between 1 am and 5 am for parties of 3 or more. Typical diner food, menu's on their website.

hendusoone on
    8hiRK4y.png
    edited January 2011
    Good lookin'. Otherside looks like I might have to hit them up. Turns out there's a good variety of places in that vicinity too. Somewhere called Bocolo or something? I saw it and it looks tasty too.

Boloco (stands for BOston LOcal COmpany) is a local burrito chain. Good stuff, and you'll find several locations throughout. They occasionally have "free burrito hours" at some locations. It's exactly what it sounds like. Wouldn't surprise me if they had some kind of PAX-related promo. I'll keep an eye out for it.

lucazzo on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    schuss wrote: »

A friend of mine who subsides only on vegetables suggested the following places:

http://peaceopie.com/

http://www.grasshoppervegan.info/

Oh, and there is a slew of random places here: http://www.bostonveg.org/restaurants/index.html

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
    edited January 2011
    I was going to recommend Addis Red Sea as well (ethiopian). Haven't tried many veg places, but I know there's some good indian ones about.

schuss on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have begun my work on compiling a Boston restaurant guide for PAX, expect a rather significant list (though not very detailed at first) to be posted on the Hitchhiker's Guide To PAX East

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't mind some oyster bar recommendations.

The heavy hitters in town -

B&G Oysters
    Neptune Oyster
    Island Creek Oyster Bar

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
    edited January 2011
    Guys, thanks for all the vegetarian eatery advice (keep it coming!). At times, when you ask for this kinda stuff, you get a whole load of hassle in the realm of 'BUT WHY DON'T YOU EAT MEAT!?!?!??!!', so I really appreciate all the straight-up help.
    Thanks a tonne.

territoires on
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    I have begun my work on compiling a Boston restaurant guide for PAX, expect a rather significant list (though not very detailed at first) to be posted on the Hitchhiker's Guide To PAX East

Doh! I was just about to wait until I read all the post before I said I would add them to the PAX map.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • caciacacia Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    heels wrote: »
    A friend of mine who subsides only on vegetables suggested the following places:

http://peaceopie.com/

http://www.grasshoppervegan.info/

Oh, and there is a slew of random places here: http://www.bostonveg.org/restaurants/index.html
    That is so helpful! I was worried I was going to end up with no options but salads everywhere I went.

cacia on
    edited January 2011
    Guys, thanks for all the vegetarian eatery advice (keep it coming!). At times, when you ask for this kinda stuff, you get a whole load of hassle in the realm of 'BUT WHY DON'T YOU EAT MEAT!?!?!??!!', so I really appreciate all the straight-up help.
    Thanks a tonne.

Heh, no worries. I had to recommend The Other Side cafe', since it's the only vegan-friendly place I will go out of my way to eat at. And when an unabashed carnivore says it...

lucazzo on
    edited January 2011
    ...You know it's a lie!

Damn it, you got me.

territoires on
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

There is a Boloco about a block from the Hynes T-station, went there last year. It was pretty good, your average burrito and salad joint. There are a bunch of fast food places along that same strip including pizza and hot dogs I believe.

Exodus1 on
  • ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes but PAX is not at the Hynes this year.

Scorpius on
  • andykuanandykuan Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Really this needs to get divided into two sets of answers. One set of eateries being places near the BCEC and another set of eateries for which people would be willing to travel.

The eats near BCEC are pretty thin unfortunately. I was just contemplating this matter this morning and concluded that there are probably only two or three places within walking distance that I'd be willing to eat at (which is why I'm disappointed that it's happening at the BCEC rather than the Hynes this year):

1. Flour Bakery: very good sandwiches and even better pastries. http://www.flourbakery.com/
    2. No Name Seafood: fish and chips type place. It's really just a B+ restaurant, but, given the other boring chain options in the immediate vicinity, it's worth it to at least have lunch there.
    3. I guess this means there are only two places I'd be willing to eat. The rest of the stuff around that area is crap.

On the other hand, if you're willing to hop on public trans, here's my take on the list:

1- Best classy yet affordable: Petit Robert Bistro
    Outstanding lunch menu with a broad range of food to satisfy both the finicky (ham and cheese sandwich) and the foodie (calf brains).
    2- Best grease spoon: UBurger
    Burgers, fries, and shakes. All produced from whole ingredients. Reliably tasty.
    3- Best Local: Top of the Hub
    The food is good but not great, the drinks are tasty but overpriced, but you'll be eating in one of the tallest buildings in Boston with picture window views of the entire city. The one item on the menu that is, indeed, great is the cookie plate. They will literally bake the cookies when you order them and serve them straight out of the oven while they're still gooey.
    4- Best Geeky: Oishii
    I'm not sure what this category actually means, but I do know they have a dish at Oishii which is served in a glowing 8" block of ice. Oh, and it's sushi. And it's completely, decadently, expensive.
    5- Best Breakfast: Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe
    Charlie's could fall under best local and best greasy spoon too. It's a diner that's been around since 1927. Charlie's has the distinction of being one of the only restaurants in Boston that would serve black performers (like Sammy Davis Jr.) back in the day. All of the dishes are made in-house -- so you won't be paying for some formerly frozen piece of food that came off of a Sysco truck.

My office is in Back Bay and my co-workers are consummate foodies (no pun intended), so I could go on and on about different places to eat if anyone wants to listen.

andykuan on
  • FreemannFreemann Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    edited January 2011
    I'd enjoy a list (work in back bay 2 days a week/GF in Newton), even if it's just via PM.

schuss on
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

first off, i'll second the other side cafe, and second third and fourth grasshopper, the all-vegan chinese place in allston. also, every vegan/vegetarian i know loves veggie planet in harvard square. they even do soy cheese vegan pizza! overall i think boston is pretty veggie friendly, and there aren't too many places (especially if you avoid major chains) where you can't find a veggie option or two.

i've also heard good things about the clover food trucks. vegetarian, local, mostly organic. they've got a few locations, one being right outside south station, which is the closest t station to the con.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Scorpius wrote: »
    Yes but PAX is not at the Hynes this year.

Omg it's not :o, lol I think I know that, as many have pointed out there is next to nil near BCEC. I'm just letting him know the Boloco I went to and that it's 2 sec from a T-station, I think there is one near the Park Street T-Station, like 2 stops closer to BCEC, but more walking.

Exodus1 on
  • FreemannFreemann Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • mahhkkmahhkk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    1- Best classy yet affordable (Caviar only goes so far)
    Definitely Eastern Standard. Not my favorite place, but it's large, easy to get to, and very delicious. The Mac & Cheese is the best anywhere.

2- Best grease spoon
    Tastyburger. Without a doubt. It's leagues beyond UBurger, and they also serve booze there if you wish. :^: My favorite burger in Boston, hands down.

3- Best Local (all categories aside)
    One of my favorite (reasonably priced) restaurants around is India Quality in Kenmore Sq. Best Indian food around. But if you want to feel all Bostonian, I'd actually recommend Legal Test Kitchen, which is super close to the Convention Center. It's owned by Legal Sea Foods, but this one is a sort of seafood Asian fusion, and it's really good. Seafood there is super fresh.

4- Best Geeky
    Miracle of Science! It's between Central Sq. and Kendall Sq. in Cambridge, near MIT of course. Their menu is a periodic table. It's pretty sweet.

5- Best Breakfast
    Lineage in Coolidge Corner in Brookline. It's a wee bit expensive, but it's fantastic.

mahhkk on
    Mark Nolan
    Editor, GameKiq.com

XBLA: shattered aura
    edited January 2011
    mahhkk wrote: »
    4- Best Geeky
    Miracle of Science! It's between Central Sq. and Kendall Sq. in Cambridge, near MIT of course. Their menu is a periodic table. It's pretty sweet.

Wow, that sounds awesome.

territoires on
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • ystaelystael Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For whatever it's worth, I'll offer some picks for the Cambridge/Somerville side of the river, as I don't get over to the Boston side very often. Sorry, most of these except Ball Square Cafe and Clover are of limited use to vegetarians.

All these places are reasonably priced (less than $20 per person before drinks, mostly less than $15) except where noted.

Breakfast: Ball Square Cafe on Broadway in Somerville. Giant piles of thoroughly delicious traditional diner breakfast food for reasonable money. The Waffle Delight is a Belgian waffle with a pile of fresh fruit on it roughly the size of a toddler's head. As an extra bonus, the owner has an ongoing feud (which IIRC has escalated into a spitting match and an almost-fistfight) with the other breakfast place next door. Davis Square then 89 bus east

Luxury Burger: I know this is the hip fashionable place that everybody yaks about endlessly, but the burger at Craigie on Main (Main St, Cambridge, near MIT) is worth every penny of the $18ish they charge for it, and then some. Life-changing experience. Also the cocktails are awesome. Central Square or the 1 bus

Not Luxury Burger: I'm not a connoisseur, but the burgers at Boston Burger Company (Davis Square, Somerville) are pretty good. Extra points for a veggie burger that my wife loves and a turkey burger that isn't dry at all. Davis Square

Sandwiches and Coffee: Clover started out as a "vegetarian fast food" food truck near MIT. Now it's a food truck near MIT, one near South Station, and an actual restaurant in Harvard Square. They serve a narrow but regularly changing assortment of sandwiches, sides (including really good rosemary-tossed fries), seasonal drinks, and coffee -- every cup brewed on the spot. Harvard Square

Barbecue: Redbones in Davis Square, Somerville, has some very good points (giant piles of barbecued meat) and some not-so-good points (some of the sides, service, the feeling you get if you sit at the kitchen-edge bar in the back and watch the cooks prep your plate). Still, it's delicious barbecued pork and you sure as hell won't leave hungry. Davis Square

Cheap Japanese: Porter Exchange on Massachusetts Ave just south of Porter Square, Cambridge, has a food court with five little Japanese places and one Korean, plus one pretty decent sit-down Japanese place called Bluefin. The standout among the Japanese places is a tiny hole-in-the-wall called Cafe Mami which serves youshoku -- Japanese "western-style" food: stuff like the hamburger patty with the fried egg on top, or pork cutlet curry, or katsudon. It's absolutely delicious. Sapporo Ramen and ChoCho's, the Korean place, are also pretty good, particularly the sundubu (spicy soft tofu stew) at ChoCho's. I don't recommend the other three restaurants in the food court -- here "don't recommend" ranges from "kinda meh" to "violent buttsplosion". Porter Square

Chinese: Good Chinese is hard to find on the Cambridge/Boston side. One place my (Chinese-American) wife and I like a lot is Qingdao Garden, on Massachusetts Ave in North Cambridge. It looks like a Formica takeout place, but they have a lot of well-done authentic North Chinese and Sichuan food. As with many Chinese places, the good stuff is on the "regional specialties" part of the menu. Especially recommended is the Zhongqing hot fried chicken, with plenty of tongue-numbing Sichuan pepper. Harvard Square or Porter Square, then 77 bus north

Fun Neighborhood Restaurant: Highland Kitchen, on Highland Ave in Somerville, serves a variety of very tasty, largely southern-influenced American dishes and pretty good cocktails (not as special as Craigie, but pretty good). I don't know that this fits the "classy yet affordable" category exactly -- it's quite casual, but a little more upscale than most of these places ($13-20 entrees). Davis Square, then 88 bus east, or Lechmere, then 88 bus west

ystael on
  • ystaelystael Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A few worthwhile Asian places on the Boston side of the Charles:

Chinese, Nice: JoJo TaiPei, on Brighton Ave in Allston. As you might guess from the name, many of the house specials are Taiwanese dishes. Worth a trip solely for either the soupy buns (xiaolong bao), which are better than Joe's Shanghai in New York, or the Taiwanese shaved ice, which is a giant bowl of snow cone covered with red bean, tapioca pearls, and grass jelly. And I mean "giant" -- the "small" is more than sufficient for dessert for two. Packards Corner or the 66 bus

Chinese, Cheap Late-Night: Taiwan Cafe, on Oxford St in Chinatown, has been our go-to cheap eats when we're out late in Boston for years now. It's nothing special, but it's reliably good and not drenched in cornstarchy brown sauce. Downtown Crossing, Chinatown, or South Station

Chinese, Dim Sum: Hei La Moon, on Beach St in Chinatown (it's on the east side of I-93), is our dim sum of choice. Like many dim sum places, it's a gigantic Hobbesian war of all against all to get in the door -- but once your party sits down, nonstop yummy arrives via cart. Beats the pants off of China Pearl, its better-known rival. We particularly love the dish called in Mandarin dou hua, which is a bowl of a substance somewhere between sweet soy milk and silken tofu, covered with a light ginger-sugar syrup. Downtown Crossing, Chinatown, or South Station

Tempura: At Ginga, on Beacon St in Coolidge Corner (Brookline), we had decent sushi and the best tempura we have ever eaten. It was almost feathery. Coolidge Corner [C]

ystael on