Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Celebrated Jumping [chat] of Calaveras County

1356746

Comments

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »

    Well, basically yeah. He's still kind of the white guy going into the other place and learning the thing and saving them, although at least with the whole it's-a-part-of-my-heritage-I'm-learning-about-now angle. No idea if that part is factual or was introduced in the movie-fication

    Quigley Down Under kind of had that, but I don't really put it in the same thing, because its not like he taught the aboriginees to fight, he was just more skilled at killing their actual oponents with his technology.

    oh man, that movie takes me back

    I remember seeing it as a kid at an old movie theater (the kind with one screen and a dollar got you a ticket). Perfect place for that kind of movie.

  • EddyEddy pale Gengars I loved beside Cerulean CaveRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    Also I've always enjoyed how people who edit old works pull out the "It's closer to what the author really meant" reasoning. You pretentious fuck, it's words written on paper by the author's actual hand. I'm pretty sure what the author meant is what they wrote down by using the writing implement in their hand that was attached to their body, being controlled by their brain.

    Welcome to the wild world of literary theory

    Careful you don't step in the bullllllshit

    Well sometimes I think it'd be ok. Like, I would be cool with retitling The Great Gatsby.



    Also, fuck me. I thought chat was just talking about n-words and buck Finn for kicks. I didnt realize this stupid shot was hap

    I remember it was supposed to be called "The High-Bouncing Lover"

    I don't know why, but I feel as if it wouldn't be as popular as it is today :P

    jk, jk, as we all well know, the American public isn't incredibly superficial

  • ArchArch HELLO YES THIS IS BUG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Preacher

    Is quigley down under as hilarious as the wikipedia article for it sounds?

    I dunno what you mean by hilarious. Its a straight western with Tom Selleck as the lone Gunfighter come to town to take on the evil cattleman in Alan Rickman. Just instead of a pistol, he's packing a huge fucking rifle.

    but that sounds hilarious

    One sec getting my sharps rifle bout to kill me a praire dog.

  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »

    Well, basically yeah. He's still kind of the white guy going into the other place and learning the thing and saving them, although at least with the whole it's-a-part-of-my-heritage-I'm-learning-about-now angle. No idea if that part is factual or was introduced in the movie-fication

    Quigley Down Under kind of had that, but I don't really put it in the same thing, because its not like he taught the aboriginees to fight, he was just more skilled at killing their actual oponents with his technology.

    oh man, that movie takes me back

    I remember seeing it as a kid at an old movie theater (the kind with one screen and a dollar got you a ticket). Perfect place for that kind of movie.

    My dad loved that movie. I must have watched it 20 times when I was a teenager.

    All I remember is that they carved a bunch of old cowboy tropes out of some kind of cosmic Ur-Western and dropped them all in the outback.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The new PATV thing is....bad, just bad.

    I wish I could give a more nuanced critique, but its just bad.

    apparently it grows on you, according to robert khoo

    (like a brain tumor HEYOOOOO)

    it seems like it has potential

    but it feels like watching an animation of a shitty 8-bit webcomic

    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Bro!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ellie wrote: »
    Oh my dear God. I just heard Michele Bachmann is talking about running for president. If by some fluke that awful, crazy bitch gets elected, I swear to God I will flee to Canada, or just flat-out kill myself to avoid the consequences.
    If her and Palin are the candidates for the Republican nom in 2012, I am watching the news 24/7 because that will be better than any movie.

    I'd love to see them see who can move further to the right of the other. That will be golden stupidity.

  • EllieEllie Registered User
    edited January 2011
    I liked Quigley Down Under as a kid. Quigley wishes he were Allan Quartermain, though.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »

    My dad loved that movie. I must have watched it 20 times when I was a teenager.

    All I remember is that they carved a bunch of old cowboy tropes out of some kind of cosmic Ur-Western and dropped them all in the outback.

    There's something to be said for cliche's done well. And the scenery is gorgeous.

  • JokermanJokerman Love is careless in its choosing. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I keep thinking you guys are talking about igby goes down.

    Chanus wrote: »
    the best asians are white people
    My blog about Beer!
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

    My dad loved that movie. I must have watched it 20 times when I was a teenager.

    All I remember is that they carved a bunch of old cowboy tropes out of some kind of cosmic Ur-Western and dropped them all in the outback.

    There's something to be said for cliche's done well. And the scenery is gorgeous.

    I'll watch Alan Rickman in anything.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • CorbiusCorbius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just spent two hours catching up with a guy I knew in 5th grade, and haven't seen in at least 14 years.


    Was fun.

    wrexsig1.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I always wanted to see Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman in a movie together and then Harry Potter 3 happened and I squealed like a little girl.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Bro!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »

    Well, basically yeah. He's still kind of the white guy going into the other place and learning the thing and saving them, although at least with the whole it's-a-part-of-my-heritage-I'm-learning-about-now angle. No idea if that part is factual or was introduced in the movie-fication

    Quigley Down Under kind of had that, but I don't really put it in the same thing, because its not like he taught the aboriginees to fight, he was just more skilled at killing their actual oponents with his technology.

    Quigley doesn't really adapt to their ways though. He doesn't come to believe that eating grubs is the one true way. It does seem like he admires them for surviving in a hostile environment but it comes off more as respecting an equal.

  • EllieEllie Registered User
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    I'll watch Alan Rickman in anything.
    Seriously. I would be content just listening to that man read the phone book.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »

    I'll watch Alan Rickman in anything.

    And he gets to really play up being a bad guy in Quigley. Thats a meaty role for a Rickman like actor "Oh I get to be an utter bastard? Oh delightful."

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »

    Quigley doesn't really adapt to their ways though. He doesn't come to believe that eating grubs is the one true way. It does seem like he admires them for surviving in a hostile environment but it comes off more as respecting an equal.

    True he uses them to survive the terrain, shows them how to create/use rope, and then kind of goes on his way. Kind of a proper use of a character in a strange land role?

  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Today in therapy, I have determined that something is wrong.

    So... golf claps all around.

    CmgpQ.jpg
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Warning: Donkey Kong is not a real doctor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The new PATV thing is....bad, just bad.

    I wish I could give a more nuanced critique, but its just bad.

    apparently it grows on you, according to robert khoo

    (like a brain tumor HEYOOOOO)

    it seems like it has potential

    but it feels like watching an animation of a shitty 8-bit webcomic

    Yeah, the crappy dialogue and the dumb relationship stuff is a strike against it. And the bad timing. I can't read the dialogue like subtitles because they're not timed properly, so it's more like a weird, halting... whatever it is.

    But I guess I was intrigued by the void and the idea of being trapped in a video game.

    easy_tetris_sig.gifbubbulon3_sig.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ellie wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I'll watch Alan Rickman in anything.
    Seriously. I would be content just listening to that man read the phone book.

    ...just for the utter contempt in his voice.

    "AAA Pest Control. How... pedestrian."

    "Tri-City Plumbing?" *lifts eyebrow and silently turns the page*

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Today in therapy, I have determined that something is wrong.

    So... golf claps all around.

    OH GOD SOMETHING IS WRONG

    FIX IT

    FIX IT

    FIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXIT
    FIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXIT
    FIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXIT
    FIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXIT
    FIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXIT

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited January 2011
    Today in therapy, I have determined that something is wrong.

    So... golf claps all around.

    first thing I thought of:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdC1pJOx-0

    huntresssig.jpg
  • EllieEllie Registered User
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    ...just for the utter contempt in his voice.

    "AAA Pest Control. How... pedestrian."

    "Tri-City Plumbing?" *lifts eyebrow and silently turns the page*
    I shivered a little.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh yeah, who told me to buy zeno clash

    they need to stand by for one (1) punch in the bits of their choice

  • ThomamelasThomamelas Bro!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

    Quigley doesn't really adapt to their ways though. He doesn't come to believe that eating grubs is the one true way. It does seem like he admires them for surviving in a hostile environment but it comes off more as respecting an equal.

    True he uses them to survive the terrain, shows them how to create/use rope, and then kind of goes on his way. Kind of a proper use of a character in a strange land role?

    Yep. Broken Arrow (with Jimmy Stewart, not Travolta) would be close to another example. Man goes, lives among the Indians and realizes simply that they are people. Of course all of the Indians are white men so it has that bit of racism but Hollywood in the 50's had a lot of things like that.

  • CorbiusCorbius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Today in therapy, I have determined that something is wrong.

    So... golf claps all around.

    I could of told you something was wrong easy.

    "Mori, something is wrong. That will be $80 dollars."

    wrexsig1.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tarranon wrote: »
    oh yeah, who told me to buy zeno clash

    they need to stand by for one (1) punch in the bits of their choice

    I didn't, but I want to cash in this offer. I choose Jokerman's bits.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The new PATV thing is....bad, just bad.

    I wish I could give a more nuanced critique, but its just bad.

    apparently it grows on you, according to robert khoo

    (like a brain tumor HEYOOOOO)

    it seems like it has potential

    but it feels like watching an animation of a shitty 8-bit webcomic

    Yeah, the crappy dialogue and the dumb relationship stuff is a strike against it. And the bad timing. I can't read the dialogue like subtitles because they're not timed properly, so it's more like a weird, halting... whatever it is.

    But I guess I was intrigued by the void and the idea of being trapped in a video game.
    Yeah

    at that moment, I wanted it to transcend its genre and do something insane and hilarious

    and then it just wandered aimlessly onwards

    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • EllieEllie Registered User
    edited January 2011
    Oh God. My dad just made lunch for himself and I have no idea what it is, but it smells delicious. I'm trying really hard to lose weight right now, and even though whatever his lunch is smells really good, it also makes me feel sick to my stomach. The idea of eating anything makes me feel sick.

    I've lost eight pounds since Thanksgiving, though. So I must be doing something right.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Today in therapy, I have determined that something is wrong.

    So... golf claps all around.

    first thing I thought of:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdC1pJOx-0

    You are a mystery, arivia.

    One second you're only posting ear-melting metal, then you post something from a group I really like.

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »

    This week in "fuck the motherfucking boomers"

    Aren't you glad we are paying for their healthcare and they are denying the shit out of ours?

  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    oh yeah, who told me to buy zeno clash

    they need to stand by for one (1) punch in the bits of their choice

    I didn't, but I want to cash in this offer. I choose Jokerman's bits.

    i cant do this in good conscience

    if you make a suitably bad recommendation, though, it might be arranged. . .

  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »

    This week in "fuck the motherfucking boomers"

    Aren't you glad we are paying for their healthcare and they are denying the shit out of ours?
    This is why ancient civilizations left their old and infirm out in a field to die.

    h1DI1.jpg
    All my fuckin life I lived a normal fuckin life
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is why ancient civilizations left their old and infirm out in a field to die.

    Honestly its a bit stupid that the people who fucked up are not only allowed to keep fucking up, but deciding what to do to the younger generation all the while knowing they won't be there to reap the whirlwind.

  • descdesc destroy all false poseur trend metal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tarranon wrote: »
    oh yeah, who told me to buy zeno clash

    they need to stand by for one (1) punch in the bits of their choice

    Man I even tried to provide the voice of reason re: first person melee

  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Warning: Donkey Kong is not a real doctor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What do boomers have as their cultural thing? My grandparents have a suite of awesome manual labor skills, cooking, cleaning, sewing, carpentry, plumbing, etc. My generation has a suite of computer and technology skills. Making movies to put on youtube, taking photos with digital cameras, making music, building and programming computers. Not as practical I guess but there are professional paths there, lots of intellectual stimulation.

    My parents just seem to watch TV.

    easy_tetris_sig.gifbubbulon3_sig.png
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We finished the third season of Avatar.

    It was really, really good, but I'm not sure how I feel about watching animated kids kissing.

  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    People are so dumb I swear. Moved board game night this week and in the future to thursdays because that day works better for most people and tuesdays (which it was before) were the only night everyone's schedule worked out for raiding. One of my friends, who's schedule was the main reason only tuesdays worked for boardgames, realized that he was leaving for snowboarding thursday so wanted to do an impromptu game night today. I told him I had plans already and depending on how they went I might be free for that or not. Well, my plans for today got delayed so now I'm not free for boardgames. And just now I hear from another friend about how I just totally blew people off for boardgame night tonight.

    Stop being a self centered prick you self centered pricks.

    [/vent]

    B7ozVfx.png
This discussion has been closed.