As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Information and FAQ Thread (QUESTIONS GO HERE!)

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    2868 wrote: »
    Here's a question. I bought three day passes a few months ago, then at the end of November the company I worked for folded. I'm keeping my head above water freelancing but I can't afford this vacation now. Is there a refund process? Or can I sell my tickets at face value? An email address I can contact?

TL;DR I lost my job, can't use my PAXE passes.

There will be a thread in the forums where you can sell your pass. And don't worry, it will sell, and you will be able to get face value for it.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    SeratuSeratu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have what might be an idiotic question, but this is my first convention and I wanted to be sure on this. I booked a room through the PAX website sometime in november, the hotel said it required a deposit but they haven't taken the money out or even attempted to. I wanted to find out when I should expect them to charge me for it. Thanks in advance for answering this possibly moronic question. Much appreciated.

Seratu on
    PAX East 2015: 3-Day Pass : [X] Hotel Booked : [X] Time Off : [X]
    Set to go!
  • Options
    DumpsterkeeperDumpsterkeeper Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I submitted a panel for Pax East, haven't preregged yet because I'm not sure if I'm supposed to or not. Should panelist hopefuls prereg and if their panel is approved they will get their money back, or are we supposed to wait for whether or not our panels are approved? I'd hate to not have my panel get approved, have badges get gobbled up and not be able to go! :P

Thanks!

Dumpsterkeeper on
    Pax East 2010: Bowser
    How do I top that for 2011? Who knows!
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Let's respond to a few of these...
    v1ral wrote: »
    I registered for a PAX media badge about 2 months ago and I have no confirmation in regards if I'm accepted or not. I E-Mailed the address provided about the issue and I got no response back. Was any other members of the press accepted yet or maybe is it too soon?

I just checked the media list and we have not yet accepted many press members yet.

Seratu wrote: »
    I have what might be an idiotic question, but this is my first convention and I wanted to be sure on this. I booked a room through the PAX website sometime in november, the hotel said it required a deposit but they haven't taken the money out or even attempted to. I wanted to find out when I should expect them to charge me for it. Thanks in advance for answering this possibly moronic question. Much appreciated.

If they have not charged you for a deposit at this point you should be safe, I think the deposit will be charged one day before you arrive at the hotel.

I submitted a panel for Pax East, haven't preregged yet because I'm not sure if I'm supposed to or not. Should panelist hopefuls prereg and if their panel is approved they will get their money back, or are we supposed to wait for whether or not our panels are approved? I'd hate to not have my panel get approved, have badges get gobbled up and not be able to go! :P

Worry not! I would hold off on registering for PAX, we have always alerted panels as to their acceptance status before the show has sold out of passes.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    computational_linguistcomputational_linguist Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I need to go to the airport after covering PAX East. Will there be anyway to keep luggage/baggage at the convention center?
    Thanks!

computational_linguist on
  • Options
    LanderolinLanderolin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm getting my pass FedEx'd out to the UK. Anyone know if they attract import taxes? Obviously the pass isn't goods as such, but I'm just wondering if the simple fact it's shipped from the US and has a value of $X (I can't remember how much I paid :p) will end up bumping the cost up further...

Landerolin on
    Pokecrawl 2011 - Team Squirtle!
    Tweet me @Landerolin
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    Who's the manager for the handheld lounge at East?

Have they been decided yet?

Heleor on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I need to go to the airport after covering PAX East. Will there be anyway to keep luggage/baggage at the convention center?
    Thanks!

Leave it at your hotel after you check out. Any hotel worth its weight in ham will do this for you for free.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks!

EDIT: I checked with the building and I can confirm that bag check will be open during PAX East.
    Landerolin wrote: »
    I'm getting my pass FedEx'd out to the UK. Anyone know if they attract import taxes? Obviously the pass isn't goods as such, but I'm just wondering if the simple fact it's shipped from the US and has a value of $X (I can't remember how much I paid :p) will end up bumping the cost up further...

I just checked with registration and as far as we know you are set, we have heard nothing about any additional taxes being applied to residents who have bought passes in the UK.
    Who's the manager for the handheld lounge at East?

Have they been decided yet?

The handheld manager for east has not yet been announced, stay tuned!

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    computational_linguistcomputational_linguist Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    heels wrote: »
    Thanks!

EDIT: I checked with the building and I can confirm that bag check will be open during PAX East.

Thank you very much! Should I bring cash? How much per piece? I will have two bags per person to check in.

computational_linguist on
  • Options
    TechbearTechbear Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I'm an indie developer. I'm not an exhibitor, I'm not in the Indie 10 or the Boston Local Indies.

But I'd still like to bring my rig and demo my game, Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator. Perhaps in open gaming?

Who would I talk to about that?

Techbear on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Techbear wrote: »
    I'm an indie developer. I'm not an exhibitor, I'm not in the Indie 10 or the Boston Local Indies.

But I'd still like to bring my rig and demo my game, Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator. Perhaps in open gaming?

I LOVE YOUR GAME!!!!

and you should email heels or khoo, who have posted their email addresses around this thread.

I don't know what they can do for you, but I really hope you get to show people your game.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

One of the videos on your site has me in it while we were playing at one of my LANs :D

Shoot an email to pax_pc@penny-arcade.com

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    How early should I get in line each day?
    Getting in line is something that should be decided by YOU, so many of us can't tell you exactly when you should show up.
    If you are the more social geek, I would highly recommend getting in line as soon as you can.
    The people are what make PAX, and there is no better way to meet/converse/trade pokemans with these people than being in line. Remember, you are all there showing your love for games in some way, shape or form, so feel free to strike up a conversation with the person next to you!
    However, if you end up befriending these people, I would highly suggest getting their contact info, as I have lost many potential friends this way, watching the people I just spent 3 hours with in line fade off into the crowd of gamers.

My God! The Lines! The Crowded Crowded Lines! What do I do about the Lines?

Whichever venue PAX is in, on Whatever coast in Whosoever dimension, Crowding is almost omnipresent. Recent PAXes have sold out weeks in advance, and The various convention centers have been unable to contain their awesomeness in a roomy manner. There are lines for almost everything, including lines in order to get into lines (I'm talking to you, Merch line PAX East). Short of becoming an Omeganaut, there is little you can do to avoid them.

Neither is there a hard and fast rule for when you need to get in line for a panel or event, as it depends on demand for the individual panel, as well as what day of the Con it's on, what's going on at the same time, and whether Wil Wheaton is involved in any way. For most Panels an hour beforehand is quite sufficient, and you might be able to get away with 30 minutes, if you're lucky. The Make A Strip Panel, any Wil Wheaton Panel, and Scott Kurtz are likely to require a little more time. If you want to get into the keynote on Friday, you'll need to arrive at the convention center when it opens at 8:00am, and go straight to the queue room.

Advice for surviving the lines
    • Relax - Lines happen. Getting angry, impatient or upset will not make them go away. Before you line up, decide whether spending this time is worth it, and then simply go with it. Take the time to plan the rest of your day, read the forums or, better yet, refer to the bottom entry in this list.
    • Plan Ahead and Prioritise - Unfortunately there is no chance that any one person can experience everything PAX has to offer, and any five people would have their work cut out for them. When you're looking at which panels or events to go to, choose a few select things you absolutely can't miss and spend the time in line to make sure you get in. When looking at the timetable try to mentally add queue times to the beginning of each session, to get a more realistic idea of what you can and can't see.
    • Queue Responsibly - Don't impede walkways. If an enforcer asks you to move, he's not taking away your place in line, just trying to consolidate it into something more manageable and less in the way.
    • Get comfortable - If sitting on a hard surface or standing for extended periods of time causes you discomfort, you might want to consider bringing a cushion or a collapsible chair to sit on == is this actually allowed? ==. Unfortunately, chairs or beanbags can't be provided because they would hamper evacuation in the event of fire.
    • I need to pee - That's not a problem. Just ask your friendly line neighbor to hold your place, and go. Try not to leave it until the doors open, and DO NOT open your DS or check your Facebook whilst enthroned. If you want to be super prepared, check to see where the nearest restroom is before you get in line, and visit it before you settle down to wait. Also, don't dehydrate yourself just in order to hold your place in line.
    • Enjoy the lines - Seriously. There are few places in the world where the next random person standing next to you is likely to be friendly, and instantly grok your rim-shot Monty Python reference, Trade you that last Pokemon, or finally explain THAC0 to your satisfaction. Take your Magic deck, DS, Zombie Dice, Travel Catan and a bottle of water, and hang out with some interesting people for a while.

There are of course some people who find it impossible to wait in line for any reason. If you have a medical condition which precludes lines, take yourself over to the Will Call area and get yourself a medical badge. If you are simply temperamentally unsuited to waiting, or don't want to take the time to do so, there are ways to enjoy yourself at PAX without waiting around. Many freeplay areas, especially Tabletop, can easily be navigated without having to wait at all, or with a simple sign-up sheet. Large portions of the expo halls also, and the Concerts have generally been accessible 20 minutes or so after the line has gone in. Playtests for the major developers are essentially impossible to get intoYou may need to sit or stand nearer to the back of the hall, but if you hate lines you probably aren't all that fond of mosh pits either. Not all the sessions fill up to capacity, especially later in the con. As long as you avoid the big ticket sessions, and are prepared for disappointment, you may simply be able to ask the enforcers on the door if there is any space inside.

I will also remind peeps that there is an [E]nforcer department devoted to Line Entertainment now (er, at least for Prime; also for East?), so the good people there should be able to provide some amusement. :)

Twinkie on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited January 2011

Unfortunately this isn't something we would allow - we'd be overrun with developers setting up boxes and PCs if we didn't enforce some sort of policy. Sorry! (although on a side note, i believe Jeff here has been trying to set up this game in our conference room for the last few weeks)

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    TechbearTechbear Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Fair enough, Robert. But if there's a place for Artemis at PAX in the future, please let me know.

Techbear on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Twinkie wrote: »
    I will also remind peeps that there is an [E]nforcer department devoted to Line Entertainment now (er, at least for Prime; also for East?), so the good people there should be able to provide some amusement. :)

I witnessed this first hand at Prime, as I was one of the first few waiting in the front of the line for the Saturday concert. I noticed most of the "entertainers" (they still enforced) were stationed in the front of the line, I guess that's where people waited the longest, but the people in the semi-front/middle waited a long time too?

I actually do not know if those sections got entertainment, I remember Khoo and other [E]'s running back and forth telling jokes and giving out t-shirts in the Star Wars event though.

/wonder maybe front-of-line people could watch a nerdy movie? Or LAN with laptops? :P

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    Robby322Robby322 Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Robby322 wrote: »
    Is it worth it for 2 15 year olds to travel all the way from Toronto to come? Or is being young (not being to play M demos or going to panels with M games) not worth going?
    Can somebody please answer my question? :P

Robby322 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Is it worth it for 2 15 year olds to travel all the way from Toronto to come? Or is being young (not being to play M demos or going to panels with M games) not worth going?
    Can somebody please answer my question? :P

It's PAX, anyone can go and have fun. I've seen the 12-15 year-olds have as good as a time as a 26 year old. As long as they don't mind being blocked from the mature content, and the fact that the concerts and panels may be a little adult-rated... they should be fine. You might be even the best parent ever if you take them :P.

Then again, if they aren't too big into the nerd thing, it could go south... but everyone should enjoy in this bi-annual experience.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there a place where we can hold a gathering after the omegathon/closing ceremonies and not get kicked out if it runs over?

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Is there a place where we can hold a gathering after the omegathon/closing ceremonies and not get kicked out if it runs over?

You would probably have to do that outside of the convention center. Theres a large covered area in front.

BigRed on
  • Options
    GoosecheckaGoosechecka Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I apologize if this question has been asked before, but when should panelists expect to be notified of whether or not their panel was accepted?

Thank you!

Goosechecka on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey so, for all you Boston natives out there...

I would like to stay in an area that has easy access to public transport so that I can go not only to PAX, but to the fine Museums and Attractions offered through this here pass

What general area/ which hotels would be best for this?

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

The Westin lobby! We will be clearing the convention center.
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Hey so, for all you Boston natives out there...

I would like to stay in an area that has easy access to public transport so that I can go not only to PAX, but to the fine Museums and Attractions offered through this here pass

What general area/ which hotels would be best for this?

I suggest any of the Back Bay hotels, you have super close access to the T lines, and it will make travel around Boston easy.
    I apologize if this question has been asked before, but when should panelists expect to be notified of whether or not their panel was accepted?

Thank you!

Panelists will be notified by next week at the very latest.

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    fl8rmausfl8rmaus Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Haven't seen mention of how to volunteer to be an enforcer yet - and the search button seems to be non-functional at this time (apologies if the thread exists! I can't find eet!).

Will that be coming up? Still a possibility? I'd love to participate this year if possible. I'm a spouse-of-gamer and love the whole PA community thing, but am sort of at a loss wandering the floor looking at the booths.

Give me purpose! :)

M

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AH! Now I see talk of this topic elsewhere. Ignore me for now.

Thanks

M

fl8rmaus on
  • Options
    sofursofur Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Random semi-important question:
    I don't know if I will get my badge because my address has changed twice since registering. How would I go about getting the correct address to those who need it?

sofur on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    sofur wrote: »
    Random semi-important question:
    I don't know if I will get my badge because my address has changed twice since registering. How would I go about getting the correct address to those who need it?

Shoot an email over to our registration manager Cathy Glickstein at CGlickstein@reedexpo.com

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thank you, heels!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    GoosecheckaGoosechecka Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    @ Heels,

Thank you so much!

Goosechecka on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What's the status on badge sales? I have some lazy friends who haven't bought there's yet... and it will be there problem if they're locked out.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Tell them to buy them now.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hello. i am a noob. nice to be here.

this will be my first pax east. originally, i was only going to go on saturday, but now i'm thinking otherwise. here's the thing: i'm a big pa fan, but just a passive gamer. i know that there's gonna be a lot of stuff that i probably won't care about, but there will be a ton of stuff i'm gonna want to see/do. so i assumed that saturday would be the day that the majority of big, neat, shiny things would be happening. i'm basing this assumption only on what i've seen from the new york comic con, (and how saturday is usually the day to go if you can only go one day), since that's the only convention i've ever been to.

so my assumption is probably completely wrong.

but that's where you nice people come in. i understand that the schedule of events won't be posted until a week or two before pax east begins, so it's obviously hard to figure out what day would be best, or if i should just go for the whole weekend. but i want to get my pass now. so, if anyone was there all weekend last year, could you give me a recommendation of what i should do? was one day considered the "big day", or was the weekend such a blast that everyday was like unicorns flying over rainbows?

appreciate the help. i scoured this vast board and didn't find much of anything to help me with my question. so sorry if this is stupid or obvious.

or if i'm acting like a noob.

kid_nyc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Go the whole weekend.

:P

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    alright. fair play.

but say, i ended up not being able to go the whole weekend.... and i could only pick one day.... (there's also a chance of that happening), your response would be:

?

kid_nyc on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kid_nyc wrote: »
    alright. fair play.

but say, i ended up not being able to go the whole weekend.... and i could only pick one day.... (there's also a chance of that happening), your response would be:

?

Based on last year that would be very hard to say. Last year the most stuff probably was on Saturday - however if you were there strictly as a Penny Arcade fan I believe the Q&As were on Friday and Sunday and their signing of stuff was Sunday as well - I don't remember when draw as strip was. It's a cop out answer but I don't think we can make that call for you at this point as the schedule hasn't been announced and I think the big items for you would be to hit a Q&A, signing, or draw a strip.

If you have the cash - maybe buy a 3 day pass even if you may not be able to use all days and then decide which day(s) to go once the schedule gets announced. I'm betting Friday/Sunday will be the best choices for you as they would always be around at the open and close of the show.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    What's the status on badge sales? I have some lazy friends who haven't bought there's yet... and it will be there problem if they're locked out.

just tell them that it's almost sold out and that they might very well get the *last* badges.... ;)

as has been quoted many times...

lrn2pax, shit sells out yo

zerzhul on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    kid_nyc wrote: »
    alright. fair play.

?

Based on last year that would be very hard to say. Last year the most stuff probably was on Saturday - however if you were there strictly as a Penny Arcade fan I believe the Q&As were on Friday and Sunday and their signing of stuff was Sunday as well - I don't remember when draw as strip was. It's a cop out answer but I don't think we can make that call for you at this point as the schedule hasn't been announced and I think the big items for you would be to hit a Q&A, signing, or draw a strip.

If you have the cash - maybe buy a 3 day pass even if you may not be able to use all days and then decide which day(s) to go once the schedule gets announced. I'm betting Friday/Sunday will be the best choices for you as they would always be around at the open and close of the show.

I would agree that just buying a 3 day pass is your best bet unless you're really strapped for cash. Try to plan on making the whole show, and then if you become time restricted, you won't have to worry about not getting in.

I'm sure I could pick out the things on different days that I did, but honestly the whole weekend sort of ran together for me. It was all fantastic, and regardless of your "gaming activity level" I think you'll find fun things to do the entire weekend.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's a cop out answer

no, it's definitely not.

actually, you and zerzhul made some great points. thanks much!!

kid_nyc on
  • Options
    KolathKolath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thread title says it all. The schedule hasn't been posted and this is my first PAX (woo!!). I want to know when it ends on Sunday so I can get the correct flight home. The schedule from Prime last year suggested that the last event started at 6:30pm on Sunday... when does it finish?

Cheers!

Kolath on
  • Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    From the FAQ:
    What are the hours of PAX?
    EVENT HOURS
    Friday, March 11th - 10am to 2am
    Saturday, March 12th - 10am to 2am
    Sunday, March 13th - 10am to 7pm

But many of us have pledged to keep PAX in our hearts always.

Trion on
This discussion has been closed.