As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GOP-Controlled House to Kick Off by Reading Constitution Aloud

GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/05/gop-controlled-house-kick-new-session-reading-constitution-aloud/

090225_Pol_BoehnerTN.jpg
GOP-controlled House will read the founding document aloud on Thursday.

Though it has been inserted as text into the Congressional Record before, the supreme law of the land has never been read aloud before in the body known as "the People's House."

Could we finally be looking at a new era of transparency in Washington?

Glyph on

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Transparency with the GOP lol

jungleroomx on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Good on them. I can't wait until they finish with the Second Amendment and Boehner audibly creams his pants, ushering in a new level of absurdity from the floor.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe they'll find out what's actually in it!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The right of the people to be blahblahblah in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable blahblahblah, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by blah, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a blahblah and blahblah trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district where in. . you know what fuck it.

the absurdity speaks for itself.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    Maybe they'll find out what's actually in it!

Wait, what's this? We have to treat the gays equally? NO SHIT!

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    today, every GOP senator signed a letter stating that the Constitution is unconstitutional and contradicts real american values and that they vowed to fix it as soon as possible

Nerdgasmic on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is going to be like watching a multi-hour version of that whole "My Baby Can Read" video, only with selfish white guys instead of young children and far less reading comprehension.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    do they all take turns, or does Boehner read the whole thing?

Pi-r8 on
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, they start their session with a stunt, and with stripping away voting rights from some. They're really trying to hit those GOP stereotypes, aren't they?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    who are they stripping voting rights from?

Nerdgasmic on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    They stripped the US Territories and DC of their voting ability in the house. The votes were pretty much just symbolic, but still.

Also, Glyph, how will reading the Constitution promote transparency?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2011
    They stripped the US Territories and DC of their voting ability in the house. The votes were pretty much just symbolic, but still.

Also, Glyph, how will reading the Constitution promote transparency?

Previously only lamas of the 9th Order were allowed to read the sacred scroll. Also, actual llamas.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a blahblah and blahblah trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district where in. . you know what fuck it.

Oh so Obama's doing the reading.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    I think by "transparency" he means that it's pretty obvious that this is a political stunt.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited January 2011

Let me guess: you voted for Ron Paul.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Oh so Bush's doing the reading.

Because you may as well name the guy that's famous for it, instead of the guy that pushed to have a terrorists put on trial in Federal court in New York.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
    edited January 2011

I'm envisioning him reading this from the Republican Cliff Notes US Constitution and shaking his head in disappointment as he marks Boehner's essay with a big red F.

Arivia: you don't even want to get Deacon started.

wwtMask on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really hope they have new Republican congressmen Allen West or Tim Scott read Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3.

Remember, the Constitution is perfect, so between the both of them it'll be like 6/5th of a congressmen reading it!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really hope they have new Republican congressmen Allen West or Tim Scott read Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3.

Remember, the Constitution is perfect, so between the both of them it'll be like 6/5th of a congressmen reading it!
    There was a Republican on television the other day touting the whole constitution reading thing, and he basically said "uh, we're not reading the parts that don't apply anymore".

If it was up to me, they'd just spend about 4 hours reading and re-reading Article 1. And then there'd be a quiz.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited January 2011
    I think there will be a lot of mumbling around the Commerce clause.

wwtMask on
    edited January 2011
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I think there will be a lot of mumbling around the Commerce clause.
    "...provide for the general welfare.... WTF? GENERAL welfare? This thing must have been written by commies."

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Constitution is the new Bible. Doesn't matter what's in it, you can cherry-pick the parts you like! God hates gays, wants us all to eat shellfish and have assault weapons, and the 14th Amendment is unconstitutional!

KalTorak on
    edited January 2011
    Anyone want to bet that Fox News or Fox Business Channel will cover the entire reading and then have a post game analysis/blowjob?

wwtMask on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    today, every GOP senator signed a letter stating that the Constitution is unconstitutional and contradicts real american values and that they vowed to fix it as soon as possible

nerdgasmic never change

Arch on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone want to bet that Fox News or Fox Business Channel will cover the entire reading and then have a post game analysis/blowjob?

No, I think they'll skip to other news during some parts of the reading...

:P

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    edited January 2011
    wazilla wrote: »

Because you may as well name the guy that's famous for it, instead of the guy that pushed to have a terrorists put on trial in Federal court in New York.

Yeah!

Well, except for that group of guys he won't let go but can't put on trial.

But it's just a few guys so whatever.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah!

and you know why?

Bush tortured the fuck out of them

nexuscrawler on
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »

nerdgasmic never change

i want someone to tell me this sometime : (

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, Boehner really looks like my friend's dad. It's really weird.

Though, I guess well-off older Republican guys all tend to blend together after a while.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited January 2011

Yeah!

Is this the part where we rehash the fact that we're pretty unhappy with the fact that this is still going on but 1) it's not entirely (or even mostly) Obama's fault and 2) fixing things a little at a time is a hell of a lot better than actively making them worse or FUCKING STARTING THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Because I'm kind of tired of that conversation.

OptimusZed on

• The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah!

Right, Bush never held anyone that he couldn't put on trial.
    I mean look at all the terror trials we got.
    We were having terror trials left and right with Bush!

Jesus, Deacon at least TRY not to be a fucking parody of the Right.

The Muffin Man on
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Yeah!

Is this the part where we rehash the fact that we're pretty unhappy with the fact that this is still going on but 1) it's not entirely (or even mostly) Obama's fault and 2) fixing things a little at a time is a hell of a lot better than actively making them worse or FUCKING STARTING THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Because I'm kind of tired of that conversation.

Deacon's been beating the "Look, Obama isn't the messiah!" horse for a while now. It's pretty much his only thing. Oh, and being a black Republican, though I may be getting him confused with someone else that no longer posts here.

wwtMask on
    edited January 2011
    fixing things a little at a time is a hell of a lot better than actively making them worse or FUCKING STARTING THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Good point, I was actually referring to putting a hit out on US citizens via Executive fiat.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Man, Boehner really looks like my friend's dad. It's really weird.

Though, I guess well-off older Republican guys all tend to blend together after a while.

Actually Boehner is one of the few that stands out, what with his tan.

KalTorak on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shit, I thought Deacon got a tempban.

This seems like a big waste of time to me. What is accomplished by doing this, besides the TV time and the token appeal to the party's base?

It would be great if they found something in there that explained what equal rights protection meant to them in very clear terms since they appear to have a hard time understanding it.

Goose! on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Deacon's been beating the "Look, Obama isn't the messiah!" horse for a while now. It's pretty much his only thing. Oh, and being a black Republican, though I may be getting him confused with someone else that no longer posts here.
    He was outed awhile ago as a white guy.

Thanatos on
    edited January 2011
    fixing things a little at a time is a hell of a lot better than actively making them worse or FUCKING STARTING THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Good point, I was actually referring to putting a hit out on US citizens via Executive fiat.

Isn't that related to Americans who are out of the country and operating with terrorist groups against America? Why are you soft on terror, Deacon? You must want the terrorists to win.

wwtMask on
    edited January 2011
    Why are you soft on terror, Deacon? You must want the terrorists to win.
    Only if they're up against Democrats.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    [Right, Bush never held anyone that he couldn't put on trial.
    I mean look at all the terror trials we got.
    We were having terror trials left and right with Bush!

Jesus, Deacon at least TRY not to be a fucking parody of the Right.

Well, I very clearly remember a bunch of Obama stump speeches wrt Gitmo about how the right thing isn't always easy, and the rule of law should always be followed.

I also remember McCain taking a pragmatic approach and getting skewered for it.

So, while reading the Constitution is kind of a stunt and probably deserving of a few snarky responses, I'm not about to let a comment go by that implicates the left has the moral high ground when it comes to consitutional issues.

Because you don't have it.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    He was outed awhile ago as a white guy.

Yeah, someone PMed me that, I just wasn't sure if it was Deacon that it was about. I always thought it was odd that there was a black Republican that was not either ex-military, wealthy, or straight up crazy.

wwtMask on
This discussion has been closed.