As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GOP-Controlled House to Kick Off by Reading Constitution Aloud

• The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wwtMask wrote: »
    "I believe that the government sucks at everything and can't do anything right, and if you elect me I will work my hardest to make sure of it!"

Hey laugh all you want but it's a campaign promise they can keep!

The Muffin Man on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    HELP US JEEEEBUS!

(You have to turn your speakers way up and you can hear a lady screaming "NOT OBAMA! NOT OBAMA! HELP US JESUS!" during the part of the constitution that declares who is eligible for president)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yexT53Gm5o&feature=player_embedded

jungleroomx on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A symbolic kickoff if ever there was one.

KalTorak on
  • DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    SammyF wrote: »
    SammyF wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the part afterwards where they get to enjoy their handful of non-buttered popcorn on a paper napkin before settling down for nap time on their carpet squares.

Sir, are you implying that these Republicans are acting like toddlers? Because that's awfully unkind to toddlers.

Oh no no no, you misunderstand entirely; I was implying that John Boehner is acting like a kindergarten teacher in the middle of story time.

And Pelosi participated after Boehner because... she's only a TA?

This analogy is so great guys!

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh hi Deacon. There you are.
    Good idea.

Deacon, you claim the GOP was doing what they thought was best for the country. You claim they are acting in a good faith opposition to the Dem ideas.

So how do you explain three events:

Their opposition to Pay-Go

The blocking of repeal of an HCR provision that they claim was too onerous, which the Dems eventually agreed on.

Their opposition to HCR, a bill very much like the one they proposed in 94 and nearly identical to one they got in Massachusetts. A bill they helped write from the beginning.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is this the new congress thread, or is it only for the constitution reading thing?

Burtletoy on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Is this the new congress thread, or is it only for the constitution reading thing?

The other is at 90 pages so if there is an established alternative its not a bad idea.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Finally, there was H.R. 96, a bill "to prohibit the Federal Communications Commission from further regulating the Internet." Blackburn had sponsored this bill during the last Congress, too, where it went absolutely nowhere. When she introduced it back in 2009, she suggested it should be called the "Real Stimulus Act of 2009." It contained only a few lines, chief of which was this one: "In General—The Federal Communications Commission shall not propose, promulgate, or issue any regulations regarding the Internet or IP-enabled services." National security issues and wiretapping rules would be exempt from this restriction.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/01/net-neutrality-fight-gop-wields-garlic-against-fcc-vampires.ars

Burtletoy on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was going to make one that's more broad based than a stupid publicity stunt. But if Glyph wants to edit the OP and turn it into a general Congress thread, I'm fine with that.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited January 2011
    I was going to make one that's more broad based than a stupid publicity stunt. But if Glyph wants to edit the OP and turn it into a general Congress thread, I'm fine with that.

Man its the GOPs house now, what else are we going to get besides publicity stunts.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited January 2011

Man its the GOPs house now, what else are we going to get besides publicity stunts.

I posted one!

Attempt to kill Net Nutrality!

Burtletoy on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm looking at Google News, and Save Us Jesus Lady has taken at least 80% of the air out of this entire endeavor.

Media can't help themselves when something goes off-script.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It wouldn't be a GOP-lead, government-funded publicity stunt without a truly cringeworthy moment.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gosling wrote: »
    I'm looking at Google News, and Save Us Jesus Lady has taken at least 80% of the air out of this entire endeavor.

Funny thing about media stunts. Sometimes they go awry. And sometimes you draw out your dumbass supporters with your dumbass PR tactics and they say stupid stupid shit.

Weird.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is already political theater in the most literal sense of the term, so let's up the ridiculousness even further. Let's make this a dramatic reading, with period costumes. I want them to earn this.

Hachface on
  • DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Like that time code pink got in Condi's face.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    Hachface wrote: »
    This is already political theater in the most literal sense of the term, so let's up the ridiculousness even further. Let's make this a dramatic reading, with period costumes. I want them to earn this.

They're removeing all the messy parts that have been amended since then though.

enlightenedbum on
    edited January 2011
    trolling, false equivalence, avoidance of direct questions

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Then they should have the guys dressed in the colonial-era garb be rudely interrupted by the ones dressed in clothes from the time of the relevant amendment. Let's get into the spirit of this messy, ugly democracy.

Hachface on
    edited January 2011
    Hey Deacon, could you please respond to the question I asked you earlier in the thread?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited January 2011

Which I can kind of understand, due to the fact that they would have no bearing on anything that came out of this congress.

At the same time, when you're dealing with people who want to treat the thing as a religious text, right up to the point of interpreting it for the plebs in the congregation, it's hard to cut them that level of slack.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey Deacon, could you please respond to the question I asked you earlier in the thread?

No. Or perhaps he can, but he has no intention of doing so. Or at least, not without a heaping cup of bullshit.

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011

Why bother, he's just gonna use his trite "I have so many people to respond to!" excuse, even though it's only one person actually asking him anything and he isn't responding to ANY of them with anything other than worthless snark.

Armored Gorilla on
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to keep asking the same question.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    HELP US JEEEEBUS!

(You have to turn your speakers way up and you can hear a lady screaming "NOT OBAMA! NOT OBAMA! HELP US JESUS!" during the part of the constitution that declares who is eligible for president)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yexT53Gm5o&feature=player_embedded

GAVEL

GAVEL

GAVEL

Saint Madness on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    trolling, false equivalence, avoidance of direct questions

It's Deacon's version of "Noun, verb, 9/11".

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Then they should have the guys dressed in the colonial-era garb be rudely interrupted by the ones dressed in clothes from the time of the relevant amendment. Let's get into the spirit of this messy, ugly democracy.

Period Dress from the Civil War onward is just wearing a suit whose lapels are of varying width. It's actually one of the reasons why there are more Civil War movies than Colonial/Revolutionary ones. It's more relateable when the dudes aren't wearing tights.

moniker on
    edited January 2011
    moniker wrote: »

Period Dress from the Civil War onward is just wearing a suit whose lapels are of varying width. It's actually one of the reasons why there are more Civil War movies than Colonial/Revolutionary ones. It's more relateable when the dudes aren't wearing tights.
    The 18th Amendment would require a hatchet.
    CarrieNation.jpg

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    moniker wrote: »

There is some artistic license here: The 26th Amendment was passed in 1971, so we need to put that one in a leisure suit. Also we shouldn't neglect the diverse possibilities presented to us by the history of facial hair.
    thoreau-neckbeard-490.jpg

Hachface on
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gosling wrote: »

I hope Save US Jesus Lady becomes the new Don't Touch My Junk Guy.

Pi-r8 on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh hey, I guess Boehner is itching for a fight on the debt ceiling: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSWEN515020110106

If only we had Dems with spines who would call his bluff on it.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited January 2011
    Oh hey, I guess Boehner is itching for a fight on the debt ceiling: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSWEN515020110106

Our only hope at this point is that the Republicans' corporate masters stop them from playing chicken with the debt ceiling.

Hachface on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    emnmnme on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    20 some odd pieces of legislation with the word "repeal" in it.

jungleroomx on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why is there all this hoopla about repealing the healthcare bill? Even if it cleared the House there's no way the Senate would look at that. Is this anything other than dick-waving?

KalTorak on
    edited January 2011
    Nope. Dick waving is about all you'll get from this House.

enlightenedbum on
  • TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Why is there all this hoopla about repealing the healthcare bill? Even if it cleared the House there's no way the Senate would look at that. Is this anything other than dick-waving?

No. They were elected to repeal Obamacare, but everyone loves the individual mandates.

It's kinda like abortion, where they make all kinds of noise about doing something about it, but they never even touch it. 6 months from now, we'll not hear from it again until the election race.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I would love to hear Boehner explain how spending kills jobs.

Thanatos on
    edited January 2011
    I just decided to read it as "Job Spending, Killing-Spree" cause it makes as much sense to me.

Burtletoy on
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I just decided to read it as "Job Spending, Killing-Spree" cause it makes as much sense to me.

A killing spree would actually create jobs and reduce unemployment.

dojango on
This discussion has been closed.