As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Too Old For This [chat]

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Babylon 5 was OK but it was not as great as some people claim. It had a lot of really cheesy storylines and plot contortions.

Regina Fong on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Passer, I thought the number was called the band size.

Captain Carrot on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    i require a MTG nerd for questions!

Oh hai.

now i don't play much, but i like thematic decks etc

would it be possible to sort of make a decent deck with these ideas?

only creature spell is insects

you have a lot of things like giant growth that makes them big and lets them trample

also throw in a bit of infection mechanics?

like radioactive b movie monster deck

it would most likely be black/green right?

A deck doesn't really always have to have some big strat or mechanic to abuse. Sometimes just a well rounded and solid deck can do fantastic. Green is a great color for this. So is black.

That being said Insects aren't really a large enough tribe to build a deck around like Goblins or Elves or what not, so you wouldn't have that going for you.

Infect is something I prefer to build the deck around if you go for it, which should probably be a black green deck anyway.

It could work, but it would be mostly for fun.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh my god just finding plus sized stores in toronto is going to make me vomit.

uuuuuuuuugh I hate my body

Is there a Torrid there? I like Torrid.

Edit: I'm not going to lie, I thought I wouldn't have a hard time finding stores that cater to bigger women in Hawaii. GUESS WHAT, I WAS WRONG.

Everyone sells shit for the tiny Japanese tourists.

I'm not even quite as big as I was! I'm not tiny but I need shit cut for boobs and hips. NOT HAPPENING HERE, JERKS!

Where are you shopping? 'Cause if it's within a 5-mile radius of Waikiki, you're out of luck. Try Pearl Ridge.

Passerbye on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh no biggie

eddy was there and then 3 of my other college friends well and then actually 2 other people from college and then my coworker and his friends

was entertaining

eddy actually somehow went to queens and then was on the g or something and i texted him and managed to get him in the right direction

what a goose

G goes right to the knitting factory, so he was kind of right

it's just a terrible, roundabout way when you have the L right there

yes, but the thing is, he didn't know he was going there, he almost went to bedford av ON THE G

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Leitner wrote: »
    Someday I will watch Babylon 5.

Probably the greatest sci-fi show ever made, and it created arc based shows.

However, I'm not sure how it'd be going into it now. The acting is frequently pretty poor, and it had a budget lower then most british soaps.

Also the 3D special effects look utterly terrible. I heard that this is because the the original models from which the renders were generated were never kept, so for the DVD releases the footage was remastered from the NTSC TV quality renders which were hanging around on digital videotape

japan on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch I like that not matter what game you're playing, your playstyle inevitably revolves around bugs and monsters and generally ugly things.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Passer, I thought the number was called the band size.

I go bra shopping once every three years or so, fuck if I know.

Passerbye on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2011
    Passerbye wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    That said, I think I am the only one of those friends and family who stuck with Caprica to the bitter end. I liked some of what they were saying, but the unfocused mess that was that show, and the unlikable cast they created, was doomed for total failure.

I... I think both Dyr and I disagree with you on this. But I don't particularly feel like arguing it.

Don't get me wrong; I liked the show and I hate that it was canceled. But when a show starts with a concept of two competing families, then essentially guts that in favor of focusing on the cult versus the world, while making every single person corrupt and broken...

Nobody was likable. Nobody. Some were fun to watch, and many were understandable... But nobody was a protagonist, and that is a huge mistake when you are trying to make a show last.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Has Pestilence ever gotten a reprint? Pestilence and Slivers are pretty much my all-time favorite Magic themes, and I know Slivers got some love like a year ago.

Ravinca as a whole was also great.

Asharaxx on
    edited January 2011
    Bab 5 was better than Star Trek, but worse than BSG.

Regina Fong on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    I think Pony got hit by the rage stick.

There's few things that rage me out more than bad serial writing.

I'm a writer. I have, in fact, written TV before. I don't talk about it a whole lot but it is a thing I've done. Point is, when you are doing a serial TV series I think you have an obligation as a writer not to make shit up as you go along.

Episodic TV series, or episodic TV series with the occasional story arc thrown in, are a little different since they're more about the status quo than an ongoing meta-plot.

But BSG was a serial show, like Lost. Every episode followed the previous, and with a few exceptions none of the episodes are self-contained stories you could just drop from the show without missing anything in the future.

When you are writing a show like that, I think you better fucking make sure you know what you are doing. If you are going to foreshadow plot threads, actually know where they are going. Don't just leave dangling hints you later come back and try to weave together like it's what you meant to do all along, because trust me it fucking shows, at the very least it shows to a writer and especially someone who has worked on TV some.

To be fair though it's quite hard to tell an entire story when you are unsure of how many seasons and episodes you need to fill/are limited by. It's like being told that you have to "write a book, of a certain number of words. But here's thing, we won't tell you how many words you have to write with until you've written 75% of the book already and have submitted it and can't edited it in the slightest".

Did you rage as badly with Lost because that was a lot more "made up as we go along" than BSG ever was.

edit: britain largely solves this by having 6 episode long seasons, which I like quite a bit.

Daxon on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Client: Here use this stock image for the campaign

Me: Ok, but this isn't very good.

Client: Just use it.

Client 2 weeks later: This image is horrible why are we using this, get rid of it why am I paying for this?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch I like that not matter what game you're playing, your playstyle inevitably revolves around bugs and monsters and generally ugly things.

I must be consistent

I will always gravitate towards reptilian or insectoid characters/strategies if the game allows, particularly if they also (as they usually do) have some sort of a poison mechanic involved

Arch on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i don't believe they ever thought that far ahead, Quid

they might've had plans to make Billy a Cylon, but that has nothing to do with all their "Final Five" bullshit that they literally made up that season

Oh I agree. But yeah, Billy was meant to be a lot more. The actor however wouldn't commit to the show and wanted to do other stuff.

Quid on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap I made my cat purr. He never purrs.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So you're turning blonde?

Pretty washed out-strawberry blonde. There's still some red but it's just getting super flat and too light.

radroadkill on
    edited January 2011
    I also need to start playing chogath more in LoL, as he is the only tank I really enjoyed

I liked growing huge as I ate my opponents

Arch on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I finally watched Book of Eli last night and while it was a pretty cool movie the "twist" at the end was kinda stupid
    oh ho ho denzel washington's character is blind! My friend told me the twist beforehand so you can kinda see it when watching the movie, he uses his hands a lot and sometimes bumps into things, but man its like, during some of the shooting action scenes he was sniping guys on roof tops and such...

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
    edited January 2011

I'm a writer. I have, in fact, written TV before. I don't talk about it a whole lot but it is a thing I've done. Point is, when you are doing a serial TV series I think you have an obligation as a writer not to make shit up as you go along.

Episodic TV series, or episodic TV series with the occasional story arc thrown in, are a little different since they're more about the status quo than an ongoing meta-plot.

But BSG was a serial show, like Lost. Every episode followed the previous, and with a few exceptions none of the episodes are self-contained stories you could just drop from the show without missing anything in the future.

When you are writing a show like that, I think you better fucking make sure you know what you are doing. If you are going to foreshadow plot threads, actually know where they are going. Don't just leave dangling hints you later come back and try to weave together like it's what you meant to do all along, because trust me it fucking shows, at the very least it shows to a writer and especially someone who has worked on TV some.

To be fair though it's quite hard to tell an entire story when you are unsure of how many seasons and episodes you need to fill/are limited by. It's like being told that you have to "write a book, of a certain number of words. But here's thing, we won't tell you how many words you have to write with until you've written 75% of the book already and have submitted it and can't edited it in the slightest".

Did you rage as badly with Lost because that was a lot more "made up as we go along" than BSG ever was.

edit: britain largely solves this by having 6 episode long seasons, which I like quite a bit.

I watched the first season of Lost and then stopped.

In theory, I will finish it at some point but uh... from everything I've heard it meanders terribly and the plot is exploded so massively that you have to watch multiple episodes to see even a small increment of plot advancement.

That's like climbing up to the top of a tower and screaming at the top of your lungs that you don't know where it's going and you're making it up as you go along.

Regina Fong on
    edited January 2011
    T: sammich

hmmm

i mean i do love me some infect mechanics

Arch on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I raged extensively at Lost and then gave up on it in the second or third season (I forget which)

then I stopped paying attention to it, but I'd periodically hear things about how the Island moves through time and now they were doing flash-forwards instead of flash-backs and there was a second island with houses on it and

I was glad I got off the train when I did, is what I am saying

Pony on
  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OFF TO SELL DELICIOUS THINGS TO PEOPLE!

radroadkill on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pony what TV have you written?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited January 2011
    in league of legends theoretically i love rammus (he was actually the first champion I ever used) but I am terrible with him

Arch on
    edited January 2011
    Bab 5 was better than Star Trek, but worse than BSG.

Interesting.

I've seen all of Babylon 5, but only the first couple of seasons of BSG. I kind of wandered away from it because it was getting really muddled and bogged down, and nothing much of any significance seemed to be happening.

Having said that we got the box set so I will inevitably watch it in its entirety at some point.

japan on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I finally watched Book of Eli last night and while it was a pretty cool movie the "twist" at the end was kinda stupid
    oh ho ho denzel washington's character is blind! My friend told me the twist beforehand so you can kinda see it when watching the movie, he uses his hands a lot and sometimes bumps into things, but man its like, during some of the shooting action scenes he was sniping guys on roof tops and such...
    Note that he never shoots a dude until the dude has shot at him.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011

hmmm

You might enjoy a Jund deck. It was from the Alara cycle a few back. Red Green Black. Lots of little cheap goblins and shit then some huge dragons and wurms and nasty shit that can devour your own creatures to get stronger.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap I made my cat purr. He never purrs.

Don't you spend a lot of time terrorizing him?
    So you're turning blonde?

Pretty washed out-strawberry blonde. There's still some red but it's just getting super flat and too light.

Yeah, sounds like it's time for henna.

Passerbye on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    somebody gimme some good motown music

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »

So he's Daredevil.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pony's WALL-E story reminds me of my Monsters Inc story, although the details are rather different.

We went over to Glasgow for a Weekend. Before this, however, my sister went to the doctors, because she had a heavy cold/light flu, and the doctor reassured her it was nothing serious. On our first night over we went to the cinema, and Monsters Inc was on. The film was great, but by the end, my sister was even more ill and had a high fever. We had to track down a hospital, and it turns out she had pneumonia and her lung had collapsed. D:

She spent the rest of the weekend in Hospital before we took her back home, and she's been frail when ill ever since. My brother said rather violent things about the doctor who overlooked this, and for all of us Monsters Inc was tainted with the memories of what happened afterwards. I since forced myself to watch the film and disentangle association with that scary night, but my brother still can't watch it.

RMS Oceanic on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I watched the first season of Lost and then stopped.

In theory, I will finish it at some point but uh... from everything I've heard it meanders terribly and the plot is exploded so massively that you have to watch multiple episodes to see even a small increment of plot advancement.

That's like climbing up to the top of a tower and screaming at the top of your lungs that you don't know where it's going and you're making it up as you go along.

Lost was great in season 1, good in the first half of season 2, then from the second half of season 2 till the season 3 finale it was a lot of bullshit and filler because they didn't know how many episodes they had to write material for and so couldn't move the story very fast.

Then season 4, 5 and 6 were pretty fucking great.

Season 4 has one of my favourite episodes of any tv show of all time.

Daxon on
    edited January 2011

hmmm

You might enjoy a Jund deck. It was from the Alara cycle a few back. Red Green Black. Lots of little cheap goblins and shit then some huge dragons and wurms and nasty shit that can devour your own creatures to get stronger.

I feel like the triple pull of three mana would mess with me

cool idea, but again I am looking for theme here

and that theme was giant insects

Arch on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh my god this was a mistake

i am terrible and fat and plain and it will cost like a bazillion dollars to try to make me look presentable yorkdale has like two stores i can use and they're both stupid expensive

i fucking hate shopping, i hate that a thin lady can walk into any store and try stuff on while i'm fucked, i hate my body, i hate missing out on that whole female experience of shopping, i am just frustrated

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

the collector

i got fucked over pretty big on that whole thing because i wasn't part of any guild and i didn't have an agent so i'm still pretty sour about it

i also wrote two pilots for Space (Canada's SyFy equivalent), one of which actually got to a pre-production and casting phase before they decided to say fuck it

Pony on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

iCarly

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Client: Here use this stock image for the campaign

Me: Ok, but this isn't very good.

Client: Just use it.

Client 2 weeks later: This image is horrible why are we using this, get rid of it why am I paying for this?

Things like this are what make me glad that in my job, every interaction with clients is minuted and documented.

japan on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    I also need to start playing chogath more in LoL, as he is the only tank I really enjoyed

I liked growing huge as I ate my opponents

huh

i wonder where you get that

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    There's the scene where he shoots the dudes in the throat and crotch when they are raping mila kunis. I mean he gets them in very specific spots, and it just gets to the point where its a bit of a stretch.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
This discussion has been closed.