Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Too Old For This [chat]

1141517192062

Posts

  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Babylon 5 was OK but it was not as great as some people claim. It had a lot of really cheesy storylines and plot contortions.

  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    i require a MTG nerd for questions!

    Oh hai.

    now i don't play much, but i like thematic decks etc

    would it be possible to sort of make a decent deck with these ideas?

    only creature spell is insects

    you have a lot of things like giant growth that makes them big and lets them trample

    also throw in a bit of infection mechanics?

    like radioactive b movie monster deck

    it would most likely be black/green right?

    A deck doesn't really always have to have some big strat or mechanic to abuse. Sometimes just a well rounded and solid deck can do fantastic. Green is a great color for this. So is black.

    That being said Insects aren't really a large enough tribe to build a deck around like Goblins or Elves or what not, so you wouldn't have that going for you.

    Infect is something I prefer to build the deck around if you go for it, which should probably be a black green deck anyway.

    It could work, but it would be mostly for fun.

    sig.jpg
  • PasserbyePasserbye The Woman Who Is Not Short at The Moonlite All-Nite Diner; a glass box full of bad food and good people.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh my god just finding plus sized stores in toronto is going to make me vomit.

    uuuuuuuuugh I hate my body

    Is there a Torrid there? I like Torrid.

    Edit: I'm not going to lie, I thought I wouldn't have a hard time finding stores that cater to bigger women in Hawaii. GUESS WHAT, I WAS WRONG.

    Everyone sells shit for the tiny Japanese tourists.

    I'm not even quite as big as I was! I'm not tiny but I need shit cut for boobs and hips. NOT HAPPENING HERE, JERKS!

    Where are you shopping? 'Cause if it's within a 5-mile radius of Waikiki, you're out of luck. Try Pearl Ridge.

  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh no biggie

    eddy was there and then 3 of my other college friends well and then actually 2 other people from college and then my coworker and his friends

    was entertaining

    eddy actually somehow went to queens and then was on the g or something and i texted him and managed to get him in the right direction

    what a goose

    G goes right to the knitting factory, so he was kind of right

    it's just a terrible, roundabout way when you have the L right there

    yes, but the thing is, he didn't know he was going there, he almost went to bedford av ON THE G

    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar | 3DS: 3110-5421-3843 |
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Leitner wrote: »
    Someday I will watch Babylon 5.

    Probably the greatest sci-fi show ever made, and it created arc based shows.

    However, I'm not sure how it'd be going into it now. The acting is frequently pretty poor, and it had a budget lower then most british soaps.

    Also the 3D special effects look utterly terrible. I heard that this is because the the original models from which the renders were generated were never kept, so for the DVD releases the footage was remastered from the NTSC TV quality renders which were hanging around on digital videotape

  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch I like that not matter what game you're playing, your playstyle inevitably revolves around bugs and monsters and generally ugly things.

    ezek1t.jpg
  • PasserbyePasserbye The Woman Who Is Not Short at The Moonlite All-Nite Diner; a glass box full of bad food and good people.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Passer, I thought the number was called the band size.

    I go bra shopping once every three years or so, fuck if I know.

  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2011
    Passerbye wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    That said, I think I am the only one of those friends and family who stuck with Caprica to the bitter end. I liked some of what they were saying, but the unfocused mess that was that show, and the unlikable cast they created, was doomed for total failure.

    I... I think both Dyr and I disagree with you on this. But I don't particularly feel like arguing it.

    Don't get me wrong; I liked the show and I hate that it was canceled. But when a show starts with a concept of two competing families, then essentially guts that in favor of focusing on the cult versus the world, while making every single person corrupt and broken...

    Nobody was likable. Nobody. Some were fun to watch, and many were understandable... But nobody was a protagonist, and that is a huge mistake when you are trying to make a show last.

  • AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Has Pestilence ever gotten a reprint? Pestilence and Slivers are pretty much my all-time favorite Magic themes, and I know Slivers got some love like a year ago.

    Ravinca as a whole was also great.

  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    I think Pony got hit by the rage stick.

    There's few things that rage me out more than bad serial writing.

    I'm a writer. I have, in fact, written TV before. I don't talk about it a whole lot but it is a thing I've done. Point is, when you are doing a serial TV series I think you have an obligation as a writer not to make shit up as you go along.

    Episodic TV series, or episodic TV series with the occasional story arc thrown in, are a little different since they're more about the status quo than an ongoing meta-plot.

    But BSG was a serial show, like Lost. Every episode followed the previous, and with a few exceptions none of the episodes are self-contained stories you could just drop from the show without missing anything in the future.

    When you are writing a show like that, I think you better fucking make sure you know what you are doing. If you are going to foreshadow plot threads, actually know where they are going. Don't just leave dangling hints you later come back and try to weave together like it's what you meant to do all along, because trust me it fucking shows, at the very least it shows to a writer and especially someone who has worked on TV some.

    To be fair though it's quite hard to tell an entire story when you are unsure of how many seasons and episodes you need to fill/are limited by. It's like being told that you have to "write a book, of a certain number of words. But here's thing, we won't tell you how many words you have to write with until you've written 75% of the book already and have submitted it and can't edited it in the slightest".

    Did you rage as badly with Lost because that was a lot more "made up as we go along" than BSG ever was.

    edit: britain largely solves this by having 6 episode long seasons, which I like quite a bit.

  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Client: Here use this stock image for the campaign

    Me: Ok, but this isn't very good.

    Client: Just use it.

    Client 2 weeks later: This image is horrible why are we using this, get rid of it why am I paying for this?

    sig.jpg
  • ArchArch HELLO YES THIS IS BUG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch I like that not matter what game you're playing, your playstyle inevitably revolves around bugs and monsters and generally ugly things.

    I must be consistent

    I will always gravitate towards reptilian or insectoid characters/strategies if the game allows, particularly if they also (as they usually do) have some sort of a poison mechanic involved

  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    i don't believe they ever thought that far ahead, Quid

    they might've had plans to make Billy a Cylon, but that has nothing to do with all their "Final Five" bullshit that they literally made up that season

    Oh I agree. But yeah, Billy was meant to be a lot more. The actor however wouldn't commit to the show and wanted to do other stuff.

    PSN: allenquid
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot WRIGGLY OMG WRIGGLYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap I made my cat purr. He never purrs.

    0wSr10c.png?1
  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Passerbye wrote: »
    So you're turning blonde?

    Pretty washed out-strawberry blonde. There's still some red but it's just getting super flat and too light.

    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Like some sort of raptor or the Great panda, Rad cannot properly initiate egg preparation if she senses a disturbance within her environment.
  • ArchArch HELLO YES THIS IS BUG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I also need to start playing chogath more in LoL, as he is the only tank I really enjoyed

    I liked growing huge as I ate my opponents

  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I finally watched Book of Eli last night and while it was a pretty cool movie the "twist" at the end was kinda stupid
    Spoiler:

    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    I think Pony got hit by the rage stick.

    There's few things that rage me out more than bad serial writing.

    I'm a writer. I have, in fact, written TV before. I don't talk about it a whole lot but it is a thing I've done. Point is, when you are doing a serial TV series I think you have an obligation as a writer not to make shit up as you go along.

    Episodic TV series, or episodic TV series with the occasional story arc thrown in, are a little different since they're more about the status quo than an ongoing meta-plot.

    But BSG was a serial show, like Lost. Every episode followed the previous, and with a few exceptions none of the episodes are self-contained stories you could just drop from the show without missing anything in the future.

    When you are writing a show like that, I think you better fucking make sure you know what you are doing. If you are going to foreshadow plot threads, actually know where they are going. Don't just leave dangling hints you later come back and try to weave together like it's what you meant to do all along, because trust me it fucking shows, at the very least it shows to a writer and especially someone who has worked on TV some.

    To be fair though it's quite hard to tell an entire story when you are unsure of how many seasons and episodes you need to fill/are limited by. It's like being told that you have to "write a book, of a certain number of words. But here's thing, we won't tell you how many words you have to write with until you've written 75% of the book already and have submitted it and can't edited it in the slightest".

    Did you rage as badly with Lost because that was a lot more "made up as we go along" than BSG ever was.

    edit: britain largely solves this by having 6 episode long seasons, which I like quite a bit.

    I watched the first season of Lost and then stopped.

    In theory, I will finish it at some point but uh... from everything I've heard it meanders terribly and the plot is exploded so massively that you have to watch multiple episodes to see even a small increment of plot advancement.

    That's like climbing up to the top of a tower and screaming at the top of your lungs that you don't know where it's going and you're making it up as you go along.

  • ArchArch HELLO YES THIS IS BUG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    I think Pony got hit by the rage stick.

    There's few things that rage me out more than bad serial writing.

    I'm a writer. I have, in fact, written TV before. I don't talk about it a whole lot but it is a thing I've done. Point is, when you are doing a serial TV series I think you have an obligation as a writer not to make shit up as you go along.

    Episodic TV series, or episodic TV series with the occasional story arc thrown in, are a little different since they're more about the status quo than an ongoing meta-plot.

    But BSG was a serial show, like Lost. Every episode followed the previous, and with a few exceptions none of the episodes are self-contained stories you could just drop from the show without missing anything in the future.

    When you are writing a show like that, I think you better fucking make sure you know what you are doing. If you are going to foreshadow plot threads, actually know where they are going. Don't just leave dangling hints you later come back and try to weave together like it's what you meant to do all along, because trust me it fucking shows, at the very least it shows to a writer and especially someone who has worked on TV some.

    To be fair though it's quite hard to tell an entire story when you are unsure of how many seasons and episodes you need to fill/are limited by. It's like being told that you have to "write a book, of a certain number of words. But here's thing, we won't tell you how many words you have to write with until you've written 75% of the book already and have submitted it and can't edited it in the slightest".

    Did you rage as badly with Lost because that was a lot more "made up as we go along" than BSG ever was.

    edit: britain largely solves this by having 6 episode long seasons, which I like quite a bit.

    I raged extensively at Lost and then gave up on it in the second or third season (I forget which)

    then I stopped paying attention to it, but I'd periodically hear things about how the Island moves through time and now they were doing flash-forwards instead of flash-backs and there was a second island with houses on it and

    I was glad I got off the train when I did, is what I am saying

  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OFF TO SELL DELICIOUS THINGS TO PEOPLE!

    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Like some sort of raptor or the Great panda, Rad cannot properly initiate egg preparation if she senses a disturbance within her environment.
  • amateurhouramateurhour Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pony what TV have you written?

    Here's what I do...
    The Vac - My Science Fiction Epic
    Fortune Pancakes - My Gag-A-Day Comic
  • ArchArch HELLO YES THIS IS BUG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    in league of legends theoretically i love rammus (he was actually the first champion I ever used) but I am terrible with him

  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bab 5 was better than Star Trek, but worse than BSG.

    Interesting.

    I've seen all of Babylon 5, but only the first couple of seasons of BSG. I kind of wandered away from it because it was getting really muddled and bogged down, and nothing much of any significance seemed to be happening.

    Having said that we got the box set so I will inevitably watch it in its entirety at some point.

  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited January 2011
    I finally watched Book of Eli last night and while it was a pretty cool movie the "twist" at the end was kinda stupid
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

    huntresssig.jpg
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    T: sammich

    hmmm

    i mean i do love me some infect mechanics

    You might enjoy a Jund deck. It was from the Alara cycle a few back. Red Green Black. Lots of little cheap goblins and shit then some huge dragons and wurms and nasty shit that can devour your own creatures to get stronger.

    sig.jpg
  • PasserbyePasserbye The Woman Who Is Not Short at The Moonlite All-Nite Diner; a glass box full of bad food and good people.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap I made my cat purr. He never purrs.

    Don't you spend a lot of time terrorizing him?
    Passerbye wrote: »
    So you're turning blonde?

    Pretty washed out-strawberry blonde. There's still some red but it's just getting super flat and too light.

    Yeah, sounds like it's time for henna.

  • ElldrenElldren 3067-6294-6208Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    somebody gimme some good motown music

  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    I finally watched Book of Eli last night and while it was a pretty cool movie the "twist" at the end was kinda stupid
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

    So he's Daredevil.

    sig.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pony's WALL-E story reminds me of my Monsters Inc story, although the details are rather different.

    We went over to Glasgow for a Weekend. Before this, however, my sister went to the doctors, because she had a heavy cold/light flu, and the doctor reassured her it was nothing serious. On our first night over we went to the cinema, and Monsters Inc was on. The film was great, but by the end, my sister was even more ill and had a high fever. We had to track down a hospital, and it turns out she had pneumonia and her lung had collapsed. D:

    She spent the rest of the weekend in Hospital before we took her back home, and she's been frail when ill ever since. My brother said rather violent things about the doctor who overlooked this, and for all of us Monsters Inc was tainted with the memories of what happened afterwards. I since forced myself to watch the film and disentangle association with that scary night, but my brother still can't watch it.

  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    I think Pony got hit by the rage stick.

    There's few things that rage me out more than bad serial writing.

    I'm a writer. I have, in fact, written TV before. I don't talk about it a whole lot but it is a thing I've done. Point is, when you are doing a serial TV series I think you have an obligation as a writer not to make shit up as you go along.

    Episodic TV series, or episodic TV series with the occasional story arc thrown in, are a little different since they're more about the status quo than an ongoing meta-plot.

    But BSG was a serial show, like Lost. Every episode followed the previous, and with a few exceptions none of the episodes are self-contained stories you could just drop from the show without missing anything in the future.

    When you are writing a show like that, I think you better fucking make sure you know what you are doing. If you are going to foreshadow plot threads, actually know where they are going. Don't just leave dangling hints you later come back and try to weave together like it's what you meant to do all along, because trust me it fucking shows, at the very least it shows to a writer and especially someone who has worked on TV some.

    To be fair though it's quite hard to tell an entire story when you are unsure of how many seasons and episodes you need to fill/are limited by. It's like being told that you have to "write a book, of a certain number of words. But here's thing, we won't tell you how many words you have to write with until you've written 75% of the book already and have submitted it and can't edited it in the slightest".

    Did you rage as badly with Lost because that was a lot more "made up as we go along" than BSG ever was.

    edit: britain largely solves this by having 6 episode long seasons, which I like quite a bit.

    I watched the first season of Lost and then stopped.

    In theory, I will finish it at some point but uh... from everything I've heard it meanders terribly and the plot is exploded so massively that you have to watch multiple episodes to see even a small increment of plot advancement.

    That's like climbing up to the top of a tower and screaming at the top of your lungs that you don't know where it's going and you're making it up as you go along.

    Lost was great in season 1, good in the first half of season 2, then from the second half of season 2 till the season 3 finale it was a lot of bullshit and filler because they didn't know how many episodes they had to write material for and so couldn't move the story very fast.

    Then season 4, 5 and 6 were pretty fucking great.

    Season 4 has one of my favourite episodes of any tv show of all time.

  • ArchArch HELLO YES THIS IS BUG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    T: sammich

    hmmm

    i mean i do love me some infect mechanics

    You might enjoy a Jund deck. It was from the Alara cycle a few back. Red Green Black. Lots of little cheap goblins and shit then some huge dragons and wurms and nasty shit that can devour your own creatures to get stronger.

    I feel like the triple pull of three mana would mess with me

    cool idea, but again I am looking for theme here

    and that theme was giant insects

  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot WRIGGLY OMG WRIGGLYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh my god this was a mistake

    i am terrible and fat and plain and it will cost like a bazillion dollars to try to make me look presentable yorkdale has like two stores i can use and they're both stupid expensive

    i fucking hate shopping, i hate that a thin lady can walk into any store and try stuff on while i'm fucked, i hate my body, i hate missing out on that whole female experience of shopping, i am just frustrated

    0wSr10c.png?1
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pony what TV have you written?

    the collector

    i got fucked over pretty big on that whole thing because i wasn't part of any guild and i didn't have an agent so i'm still pretty sour about it

    i also wrote two pilots for Space (Canada's SyFy equivalent), one of which actually got to a pre-production and casting phase before they decided to say fuck it

  • WashWash Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pony what TV have you written?

    iCarly

    u5mv3v50fyfj.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Client: Here use this stock image for the campaign

    Me: Ok, but this isn't very good.

    Client: Just use it.

    Client 2 weeks later: This image is horrible why are we using this, get rid of it why am I paying for this?

    Things like this are what make me glad that in my job, every interaction with clients is minuted and documented.

  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MASuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    I also need to start playing chogath more in LoL, as he is the only tank I really enjoyed

    I liked growing huge as I ate my opponents

    huh

    i wonder where you get that

    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    I finally watched Book of Eli last night and while it was a pretty cool movie the "twist" at the end was kinda stupid
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
This discussion has been closed.