As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blight of the Immortals]

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    2nd January 2011
    Today you should find a new Army Detail window. It's been redesigned to provide better power descriptions and some advanced army orders.

We have added the concept of an Innate Ability which is different to an armies Active Ability because they are free and always on. Fay Confusion no longer prevents Innate Abilities from working.

Fixed a bug where Zombies ignored confusion and cast spells anyhow.
    Fixed a bug where Shaman, Wizards and Elves were getting more honor than they should for spells.
    Fixed a bug where Shaman were benefiting from Orc War chant.
    Fixed a bug preventing zombie wizards from casting chaos storms.
    Implemented a zombie power for the centaurs.
    When merging all armies at a location, the largest experience will be retained.
    End, Immortal Ent, Wizard, Centaur power description updated to reflect what happens on the server.

So no more instant Shaman growth; the zombie centaur power is dangerous; I think the range on it might be too big at the moment (it's much wider than the regular centaur's ability). Befuddlement will no longer stop dwarfs from receiving their fort bonus.

Looks as though the advance orders include split, which seems as though it will be absolutely broken with the orc's War Chant ability or the hobgoblins boost. Not sure how I feel about that, but as best I can tell, it hasn't been implemented yet. Splitting a high level unit, if both sides of the split keep all the dice, would also be overpowered - I've got a level 23 fay who basically takes no damage from enemy groups, and if I could split them into two or three I could clear out the entire region with that one army.

Darian on
  • ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One more slot is open in Dead Can Dance.

http://blight.ironhelmet.com/game/3538592

Paradiso on
    edited January 2011
    Jay says that split will cost the regular amout to produce an army and spit out a level 1 army at the current location. Sounds reasonable costed to me; situationally useful (merge units for strength for an attack, then splitback out to defend multiple areas or multiply thea fort bonus, etc.)

Redeploy will mean you can teleport a unit to any of your cities; he's wondering how much should that should cost. Thoughts? What sort of cool-down/costs need to be associated with it to keep that ability balanced?

Darian on
    edited January 2011
    Dead Can Dance

Last spot filled. Game has been started.

Paradiso on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darian wrote: »
    Jay says that split will cost the regular amout to produce an army and spit out a level 1 army at the current location. Sounds reasonable costed to me; situationally useful (merge units for strength for an attack, then splitback out to defend multiple areas or multiply thea fort bonus, etc.)

Redeploy will mean you can teleport a unit to any of your cities; he's wondering how much should that should cost. Thoughts? What sort of cool-down/costs need to be associated with it to keep that ability balanced?

Not sure about the cost, but would it not make more sense to have redeploy use the same speed calculation that reinforcements do? That is still fast enough to be very useful while making more sense. Maybe it could have a cost scaling by army size, something like 1 coin per 10 strength rounded upwards?

Also, I am getting worried about how you are catching up to me in points in annihilation. Why must you continue to jeopardize our friendship by attempting to win?

Vic on
    edited January 2011
    I'm just trying to re-right the balance lost when you got credit for all those filthy "magic" kills.

edit: And then I check the game and see you let some centaurs ambush one of my dwarfs. Nice!

Darian on
  • GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm still not sure how both of you got so much higher then me, I think I rather hate being the elves. Also damn you Darian you dispelled both my ents and those zombie hunters didn't you?

Ghlinn on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    I thought I just stopped your ents from preventing the hunters running into my dwarfs behind their wall; I certainly don't recall casting a dispel on the ents.

Darian on
  • GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Could be it just ran out, they had the buff from the centaurs on them and it should have lasted longer then that though.

Ghlinn on
    steam_sig.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm just trying to re-right the balance lost when you got credit for all those filthy "magic" kills.

edit: And then I check the game and see you let some centaurs ambush one of my dwarfs. Nice!

That part is interesting actually, it has to do with how the game handles the Goblin Ninjas. It seems that they automatically fight last and if they win they stick around rather than fleeing but still take no casualties.

Unfortunately this meant that when I activated their ability I sacrificed your dwarfs, but on the other hand it probably saved me 50 or so casualties. If I had been sure how this works I would have asked you to retreat with your dwarfs first.

Vic on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vic wrote: »

Not sure about the cost, but would it not make more sense to have redeploy use the same speed calculation that reinforcements do? That is still fast enough to be very useful while making more sense. Maybe it could have a cost scaling by army size, something like 1 coin per 10 strength rounded upwards?

Also, I am getting worried about how you are catching up to me in points in annihilation. Why must you continue to jeopardize our friendship by attempting to win?

redeploy is something I've been wanting without knowing I wanted it. awesome. I like your implementation as well, reinforcement speeds, anywhere on the map.

the new must be in 24 hrs march to send an envoy thing makes sense. its consistent in a simulationist sense which makes me happy, but inconvenient mechanically (gamist).

valiance on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've played two games of this so far, and I like it but no-one talks in the games I'm in, and to be honest I'm not sure all of the players are actually playing much.

What's a good difficulty level and game type anyway? So far Easy is ridiculously... easy?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I've played two games of this so far, and I like it but no-one talks in the games I'm in, and to be honest I'm not sure all of the players are actually playing much.

What's a good difficulty level and game type anyway? So far Easy is ridiculously... easy?

Easy is ridiculously easy. Normal is probably where you'd want to start in imo. I'm thinking about joining a hard game when one starts up

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We're just polishing off a Very Hard game, actually. I think when this is done, we need to start a game of "Okay, I'm Certain The Computer Is Actually Cheating, Zombies Just Literally Ate My Laptop WTF".

Imperfect on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think the fact that PA people always help each other, instead of stabbing people with more honor in the back whenever the opportunity arises makes it much easier for us then it's supposed to be.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • BirdsWayBirdsWay Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Having played in 3 public games so far, I can say that coordination between everyone becomes... mixed. One game about 6 of the armies traded coins effectively, swapped towns when it made sense, etc. Unfortunately this was an easy game so it made little difference and we all beat up everyone. Oh, and most people quit before it finished since they could tell the game was over.

In the 2nd pub game only me and 2 other armies talked. We traded coins and towns a couple times. That one was on normal and is no essentially over. Second place in both games so, woo?

3rd pub game was on the 4 player map and since I joined late zombies had already taken mucho of the map around me. I have met a corpse turned into a roaming horror death.

I tried joining another pub game, but upon getting in I was informed that my army was already defeated. Kind of a bummer and wish the game didn't provide the option for me to join. I provided this in feedback, so we'll see what happens!

BirdsWay on
    edited January 2011
    BirdsWay wrote: »
    Having played in 3 public games so far, I can say that coordination between everyone becomes... mixed. One game about 6 of the armies traded coins effectively, swapped towns when it made sense, etc. Unfortunately this was an easy game so it made little difference and we all beat up everyone. Oh, and most people quit before it finished since they could tell the game was over.

In the 2nd pub game only me and 2 other armies talked. We traded coins and towns a couple times. That one was on normal and is no essentially over. Second place in both games so, woo?

3rd pub game was on the 4 player map and since I joined late zombies had already taken mucho of the map around me. I have met a corpse turned into a roaming horror death.

I tried joining another pub game, but upon getting in I was informed that my army was already defeated. Kind of a bummer and wish the game didn't provide the option for me to join. I provided this in feedback, so we'll see what happens!

How do you do feedback? Just an email?

I joined a game that's permanently paused, so that's used up one of my 3 free slots indefinitely.

poshniallo on
    edited January 2011
    I'm in the hard game called Darkest of Days if anyone wants to join. Unfortunately, it is paused.

I'm pretty sure you can contact them at info@ironhelmet.com ?

EDIT: I don't think I like the new UI. Sure, there are more options but I really liked the simple interface in the previous version

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
    edited January 2011
    News From the Front Lines.
    4th January 2011

Centaurs and Zombie Centaurs no longer ride each other.

:winky:
    D:

Paradiso on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, our very hard game just finished. We ready to roll up another?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited January 2011
    Time to move on up to Impossible, I think.

I bring you The Impossible Dream

Darian on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Im in as southern dwarves.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited January 2011
    I joined. Hope I'm not taking someone's spot D:

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In as Men of the East.

Ugh on being Men again, but we'll see. My Ent area up north currently has Ents in it, which means it is going to be a pain in the aaaasss to take.

Also, sorry if I sent a double message. I sent it the first time, and it didn't show up in my Diplomacy messages, so I thought maybe I had hit the wrong thing. But then the second one didn't show up either, sooo, whoops!

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    edited January 2011
    Gang's all here, then. Starting! The shambling horde will be upon us by the morning.

Darian on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I *was* going to start, but I have no real desire to play Men again. It seems that by the time you get their unstoppable reinforcement economy going, all the ding-dang zombies are dead anyway.

Imperfect on
  • ImpulseHammerImpulseHammer Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I'm up for the next game. I already started one on Hard and one on Very Hard in public. I'll be keen to do Impossible with other people.

ImpulseHammer on
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2011
    Teehee. I don't if it's because I'm playing elves for the first time or what, but so far, Impossible is looking like a lot of fun. And by lot of fun, I mean not a cakewalk. Zombie Centaur Blitzkrieg ahhhhh!

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
    edited January 2011
    Please, just don't let them get any zombie ents.

Darian on
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2011
    Please, just don't let them get any zombie ents.

Oh, I'm pretty sure they're going to get them. Ent town is too far away from all the town that actually make units that could defend it. I guess I could have just left the ents there, but then I would have had an island of ents in a sea of zombies. At the end of the day, its just more honor to go around. Unless we die horribly, of course.

Tiger Burning on
    edited January 2011
    I was annoyed that my nearby Ent village started with Ents in it, because that just makes it a pain in the ass to take and start using.

InkSplat on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dang, dwarves of the south seem to suck. I think the natural placement of zombies is to put them close to those dwarves, and I am not liking the fay.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited January 2011
    I managed second place last game from that position; just holding on against the hordes of zombies means you get a ton of honor from them crashing against your walls. And I managed to pick up enough purple from other people/other areas to end up with a level 30 fay army by the end of it that singlehandedly cleaned up the area around dark green. It is tough to mount an attack from the yellow dwarves, though, I'll grant you that.

Darian on
    edited January 2011
    Sooo, the orcs new ability is Noble Sacrifice - Spend 2 red and sacrifice 5 strength to give a level of reinforcements to any army within 24 hours march. As someone with both orcs and ents at the moment, I approve. Not entirely sure that this qualifies as a 'nerf', though. Also, Ramian, WHERE MY MONEY AT? YOU GOTS TO PAY WHAT YOU OWE!

Tiger Burning on
    edited January 2011
    Sooo, the orcs new ability is Noble Sacrifice - Spend 2 red and sacrifice 5 strength to give a level of reinforcements to any army within 24 hours march. As someone with both orcs and ents at the moment, I approve. Not entirely sure that this qualifies as a 'nerf', though. Also, Ramian, WHERE MY MONEY AT? YOU GOTS TO PAY WHAT YOU OWE!

That is much less broken than the previous version, since it cannot level up every shaman/wizards/merchant all the way to insane strength in a single shot. Sounds good to me. Better with big units, less good with the little units than before. Should be interesting.

Darian on
    edited January 2011

That is much less broken than the previous version, since it cannot level up every shaman/wizards/merchant all the way to insane strength in a single shot. Sounds good to me. Better with big units, less good with the little units than before. Should be interesting.

I don't know, time will tell. One of the big limiting factors in the game is the number of towns you have, their cool downs, and the fact that each town can only produce one kind of unit. Now every orc can act as an additional, universal town, producing whatever units you need for just one kind of coin (though still on a 2 day cool down). The range is pretty beastly, too.

Tiger Burning on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I don't know, time will tell. One of the big limiting factors in the game is the number of towns you have, their cool downs, and the fact that each town can only produce one kind of unit. Now every orc can act as an additional, universal town, producing whatever units you need for just one kind of coin (though still on a 2 day cool down). The range is pretty beastly, too.

New strategy: use orc on troll/ent, repeat

TheOtherHorseman on
    edited January 2011
    Anyone planning to start another game soon? I'd much rather play with you guys than waste my slots on pubbery.

poshniallo on
    edited January 2011
    Man, Men of the East are not fun. I'm about to get my shit wrecked and there is like nothing I can do about it.

I miss my Dwarves. >.<

InkSplat on
    edited January 2011
    I'm hopeful that I'll be able to bring a strong enough force of fay up to your capital in time to save it; it's a much better line of defense than the purple cities behind it.

Merchants take a while to pay off, and neither of you got enough quiet time to set up your industry before the zeds came marching.

On the other hand, only a few of us are really in a strong position; both sets of goblins are dealing with immortal trolls, you and the southern elves got hit by the first two major outbreaks, and the southern dwarves are beset on every side.

The Northwest looks like our best hope for salvation; the men, elves and dwarves are working well together to establish a defensible area from which they will be able to strike back against the shambling horde. I think that I can hold the south with my orcs, but if my flanks fall it could leave me spread too thin.
    Start of day: Our scouts tell us there are at least 110 zombie hordes with a combined military strength of over 4901 wandering the land. 42 Locations have been afflicted with the Blight.
    botiimpdrmday2.jpg

Darian on