As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NOBODY EXPECTS THE [CHAT] INQUISITION!

STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
SpanishInquisitionMP.jpg

Confess

Confess

Confess!

Also jacob I am on Oahu

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Also jacob I am on Oahu

oh okay

let me know if you ever get to the big island and I will commend you to the attention of the girl I know there. she was complaining about there not being enough people her age where she's at.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »

Somalia doesn't currently have an international border. Currently they aren't even a sovereign country.

Well I'm sure that makes everything a lot lot better.

It's not like the country exists despite a lack of formal recognition as such?

Actually it doesn't. One of the requirements to be a country is a concept called sovereignty. It's a fairly complicated concept, but I'll keep it rather simple for you. To be a sovereign country, a country needs to be able to have a fairly strong ability to enforce the rule of law. You don't need to be perfect but you have to have the ability to at least try. Somalia doesn't currently have a government that can do this. There are about 20 organizations that claim to have this ability for the whole country, but none of them actually do. There isn't one organization that controls the whole country or even most of it. The PRM is closest, but they had only about 40% of the country. Now if this were strictly an internal matter, I could understand leaving them be. But it's not. There is no government to control the pirates. There isn't a government to prevent raids on their neighbors. The countries around them and around the world are suffering because of this. So yes, a military intervention is justified. The AU attempted one a few years back but they've been less then successful.

Well yeah, I get sovereignty.

What I meant to say was the nation still exists despite a lack of formal recognition. In any case my point is that the American military has no place to be there. Sure, the AU justifiably could hold a presence there but America? Not especially.

It's a regional matter, and sure there are repercussions worldwide etc etc but I still think the matter should be dealt with locally.

fakedit: yada yada, I don't really care about this topic. I just thought HamJ's post saying the US military should march in and try to fix shit was a real terrible idea.

Daxon on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bah.

Thomamelas on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ok... who is that?

edited January 2011
    Bah.

Man you best not be dissing the best sketch Monty Python produced, at least in my opinion.

• stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    lol the Skyrim thread is quickly becoming the Dragon Age 2 thread: Part 2. It's just all arg-blarg I want to spend all my RPG time doing math and figuring out spreadsheets full of arbitrary and complicated numbers. They are ruining my gaming experience by streamlining this system and making it more fun!

And then I waltz in and I'm like, Bladur's whatnow?

And everyone is like fffffuuuuu

make no mistake: you are doing God's work, stevemarks

those people are awful

In the Dragon Age thread some PR person said that "every button will do something awesome" in Dragon Age 2.

There was like two pages of people who were like "I DONT WANT EVERY BUTTON TO DO SOMETHING AWESOME"

I was like, I do.

I stayed out of that thread for a few pages until everyone calmed down.

stevemarks44 on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jacob I am one of those people ;_;

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    ok... who is that?

oh you weren't around for my chat post earlier

this girl I saw like two or three times back in september and then she up and moved to hawaii just drunk-texted me out of the blue tonight to tell me she misses me and KC and she is bored

I was like hmm, I know hawaiians

which is not something I often get to say

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I missed it. I was going through the pet thread in SE++.

Also I was tempted to make Rush [chat] because I love them, but then Will would get mad.

edited January 2011
    I don't love Rush but seriously Getty Lee is the fucking man. Listening to Rush album is like listening to Lord of the Rings on acid.

stevemarks44 on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    man I am not really tired

this sucks

So It Goes on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Somalia doesn't currently have an international border. Currently they aren't even a sovereign country.

Actually it doesn't. One of the requirements to be a country is a concept called sovereignty. It's a fairly complicated concept, but I'll keep it rather simple for you. To be a sovereign country, a country needs to be able to have a fairly strong ability to enforce the rule of law. You don't need to be perfect but you have to have the ability to at least try. Somalia doesn't currently have a government that can do this. There are about 20 organizations that claim to have this ability for the whole country, but none of them actually do. There isn't one organization that controls the whole country or even most of it. The PRM is closest, but they had only about 40% of the country. Now if this were strictly an internal matter, I could understand leaving them be. But it's not. There is no government to control the pirates. There isn't a government to prevent raids on their neighbors. The countries around them and around the world are suffering because of this. So yes, a military intervention is justified. The AU attempted one a few years back but they've been less then successful.

What I meant to say was the nation still exists despite a lack of formal recognition. In any case my point is that the American military has no place to be there. Sure, the AU justifiably could hold a presence there but America? Not especially.

It's a regional matter, and sure there are repercussions worldwide etc etc but I still think the matter should be dealt with locally.

fakedit: yada yada, I don't really care about this topic. I just thought HamJ's post saying the US military should march in and try to fix shit was a real terrible idea.

No, the nation doesn't actually exist. No sovereignty, no nation. There is land, there are people. But you need just a little bit more to actually be a nation. And there are more then regional implications. The implications are world wide because of the shipping being hijacked. Ignoring the simple financial losses, there are dangerous cargoes moving through there. The Russians lost a ship of tanks and heavy weapons just a few years back. If the pirates had found a buyer for it, there was the potential for the instability of the world to increase. There are petrochemicals and other toxins that move through the area. The sinking of one of those ships could do massive ecological harm. I understand that a shallow reading is enough for you to think you have an opinion of weight. But if such a shallow reading constitutes and effort for you, then perhaps you might find that staying away from topics like this is a good idea.

Thomamelas on
    edited January 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »

this sucks

me neither SiG

and I have dungeons and dragons in six hours!

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited January 2011

this sucks

me neither SiG

uh oh

you better get cracking

on uh

sleeping

So It Goes on
    edited January 2011
    Bah.

Man you best not be dissing the best sketch Monty Python produced, at least in my opinion.

Nope, just expressing a general bah.

Thomamelas on
    edited January 2011
    The thing is, Daxon, you have clearly started with the conclusion that US intervention is the worst possible thing that could possibly happen to Somalia and have reasoned backward from there.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited January 2011
    Good news: I get to go home early.

Bad news: It's because they are putting off finishing and now I need to come in and work on Sunday.

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

stevemarks44 on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    and there is this trope about europeans being worldly and cultured while americans are troglodytes :P

amazing

Organichu on
    edited January 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    and there is this trope about europeans being worldly and cultured while americans are troglodytes :P

amazing

we refute that here every single day

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited January 2011
    Once again, sorry for vacation post but man I am just so excited. I like living in hawaii but man once a year, you gotta go somewhere else or you get sick of it.

edited January 2011
    The thing is, Daxon, you have clearly started with the conclusion that US intervention is the worst possible thing that could possibly happen to Somalia and have reasoned backward from there.

I would love it if the EU, or even just the former colonial powers would stand up and help clean up the mess they made of Africa. I would love it if the AU could clean up the mess on their own, because it might be a sign that they are getting past some of the damage Europe inflicted. But the reality is that neither group is going to be able to. The EU won't because it's more complicated then a light peacekeeping mission and the AU has demonstrated that while they have the will, they lack the means.

Thomamelas on
    edited January 2011

this sucks

me neither SiG

uh oh

you better get cracking

on uh

sleeping

haha I see this is not a problem you are used to being consulted on

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited January 2011

No, the nation doesn't actually exist. No sovereignty, no nation. There is land, there are people. But you need just a little bit more to actually be a nation. And there are more then regional implications. The implications are world wide because of the shipping being hijacked. Ignoring the simple financial losses, there are dangerous cargoes moving through there. The Russians lost a ship of tanks and heavy weapons just a few years back. If the pirates had found a buyer for it, there was the potential for the instability of the world to increase. There are petrochemicals and other toxins that move through the area. The sinking of one of those ships could do massive ecological harm. I understand that a shallow reading is enough for you to think you have an opinion of weight. But if such a shallow reading constitutes and effort for you, then perhaps you might find that staying away from topics like this is a good idea.

A nation is a grouping of people who share real or imagined common history, culture, language or ethnic origin.

But yeah, maybe I should stay away from topics like this because I'm an idealist. I don't believe in interfering with other peoples' business. I hold on to my ideals fairly strongly though because otherwise we're just a lot of monkeys chaotically doing things to serve ourselves and that is depressing.

Thing is thom, even if I had an incredibly deep understanding of the issues I'm pretty sure that I'd still be idealistic about the situation.

edit: guys I'm just coming from a different starting point is all. That doesn't mean I'm wrong. There is no correct answer.
    Also your tone is just a bit insulting.

Daxon on
    edited January 2011
    I played D+D like once

it wasn't very fun and sort of tedious

I didn't play with people who were into it very much though

So It Goes on
  • retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    just got home from my latenight friday night job. jesus christ i am knackered.

retrovm on
    edited January 2011

A nation is a grouping of people who share real or imagined common history, culture, language or ethnic origin.

But yeah, maybe I should stay away from topics like this because I'm an idealist. I don't believe in interfering with other peoples' business. I hold on to my ideals fairly strongly though because otherwise we're just a lot of monkeys chaotically doing things to serve ourselves and that is depressing.

Thing is thom, even if I had an incredibly deep understanding of the issues I'm pretty sure that I'd still be idealistic about the situation.

edit: guys I'm just coming from a different starting point is all. That doesn't mean I'm wrong. There is no correct answer.

i could dig up a dozen posts (at least) where you're snide and dismissive about americans.

so, i mean- think about it. maybe there is an impetus to the sharp tone you catch from some people, whereas i (and kosh and thom) are generally gentler and more didactic when it comes to topics with which we're familiar.

Organichu on
    edited January 2011
    I played D+D like once

it wasn't very fun and sort of tedious

I didn't play with people who were into it very much though

a lot of it is about how you click with the group of people and how they all work together

all it takes is one or two people who - they don't even have to be jerks or malicious or anything - but if they just aren't into what's going on or want to do their own thing, it can all fall apart really easily.

it's a lot like improv in that respect.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited January 2011

i could dig up a dozen posts (at least) where you're snide and dismissive about americans.

Well, I'm trying to change.

Daxon on
    edited January 2011
    Daxon, you are an idealist who just said that "sovereignty," a fictional construct, is more important than the lives of the real people being endangered off the Somali coast. That is a weird kind of idealism.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited January 2011

Well, I'm trying to change.

we must make a blood contract

Organichu on
    edited January 2011

Except they don't really have a common culture, language or ethnic origin. They have a short lived shared history. They had 30 years as a country before the civil war broke out. Before that they were two countries. That short a shared history doesn't a country make. They aren't a nation.

And while having ideals is fine, poorly implemented ideals can be even more harmful in the long run. And the ideal of anti-intervention in Africa simply strikes me as Europeans dodging the responsibility for their actions. So I hold it in a fairly high degree of disdain. And as to my tone, normally I would apologize, but for you I make an exception.

Thomamelas on
    edited January 2011
    It's been such a long fucking week why do I have to work on Sunday now :(.

I'm really fucking bummed out about this.

Dude needs a weekend. Everybody needs a weekend.

It's what I'm working for.

There's a song about it.

stevemarks44 on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So due to feeling like shite for most of yesterday, I have to go into Uni today just to pick up a folder that I need for Monday when I'm in London.

I should probably leave soonish, I guess.

BobCesca on
    edited January 2011
    It's been such a long fucking week why do I have to work on Sunday now :(

*pulls out biblical, sacrificial dagger*

Organichu on
    edited January 2011

I would love it if the EU, or even just the former colonial powers would stand up and help clean up the mess they made of Africa. I would love it if the AU could clean up the mess on their own, because it might be a sign that they are getting past some of the damage Europe inflicted. But the reality is that neither group is going to be able to. The EU won't because it's more complicated then a light peacekeeping mission and the AU has demonstrated that while they have the will, they lack the means.

I am a big believer in the idea of humanitarian force (if not the practice, at least this decade :P ) and it gets kind of tedious hearing people whose only opinion is that WAR IS BAD. Peace can be pretty shitty, too - I mean, ask a black dude in the South in 1860. But it's sad since Bush has basically guaranteed that it will be another decade or two before people are ready to have any sort of nuanced discussion about that.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited January 2011
    kosh

i'm gonna whip you silly and fuck you stupid

hey

someone shut that cunt's mouth before i come over there and fuckstart her head

Organichu on
    edited January 2011
    kosh

hey

hahaha I should watch that movie again

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited January 2011
    nichu you are sick why aren't you sleeping

why aren't I sleeping

what is going on

So It Goes on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kosh

hey

I do not know what this is about but it made me giggle like woah

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »
    So due to feeling like shite for most of yesterday, I have to go into Uni today just to pick up a folder that I need for Monday when I'm in London.

I should probably leave soonish, I guess.

Nah fuck that. Go at 3 A.M. and creep around there.

This discussion has been closed.