As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D) Shot

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    That map is actually targeting states, not politicians. I don't think anyone is going to assassinate the entire state of michigan.

The Palin map?

No, it's targeting congressional districts.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Given that the sheriff (likely one of the only people who has either talked to the shooter or talked to those that have) emphasized repeatedly in a news conference that the violent rhetoric in the media can have an influence on those that are already unstable, I don't think it's super crazy to think that perhaps vitriol in the media may have influenced the unstable guy in question.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    galenblade wrote: »
    I think that this is probably one of the more levelheaded distillations of the day, and puts the events of the day into a larger context.

Good link.

Jintor on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Did you guys watch his youtube videos? The link in the OP also says that he more or less left a suicide note on his myspace.

The guy just seems pretty mental to me.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Did you guys watch his youtube videos? The link in the OP also says that he more or less left a suicide note on his myspace.

The guy just seems pretty mental to me.

Suicide note on a dying social network.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd hate to think this asshole killed some people in attempt to spread a message he couldn't even convey in an understandable manner.

815165 on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    seasleepy wrote: »
    Given that the sheriff (likely one of the only people who has either talked to the shooter or talked to those that have) emphasized repeatedly in a news conference that the violent rhetoric in the media can have an influence on those that are already unstable, I don't think it's super crazy to think that perhaps vitriol in the media may have influenced the unstable guy in question.

He said the same thing when he called into MSNBC shortly after the event, when he was still driving back from California, likely before the shooter had even been questioned.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it's obvious we can in no way draw any connections between eliminationist rhetoric and political violence. Crazy people will always find a reason to kill other people.

Just like we can draw no connection between eliminationist religious preaching and religious-based/influenced violence. Crazy people will always find a reason to kill other people.

shryke on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    shryke wrote: »
    I think it's obvious we can in no way draw any connections between eliminationist rhetoric and political violence. Crazy people will always find a reason to kill other people.

Just like we can draw no connection between eliminationist religious preaching and religious-based/influenced violence. Crazy people will always find a reason to kill other people.
    At the very least a case could be made that rhetoric effects target selection.

There's got to be some moral responsibility attached to that.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

wait so are you advocating that since crazy people will always find a reason to kill people there is in no way any reason to try to reform the vicious political rhetoric that has been spewed for the past three years?

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

wait so are you advocating that since crazy people will always find a reason to kill people there is in no way any reason to try to reform the vicious political rhetoric that has been spewed for the past three years?
    Sarcasm.

Seriously. I figured the second paragraph would be a huge motherfucking red flag on that account.

shryke on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Sarcasm.

Seriously. I figured the second paragraph would be a huge motherfucking red flag on that account.

...i really need to stop reading news site comments

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to go with the fact that she's insanely hot, and that 22 year old guy took a crush too far.

There's also the fact she said, "Aye" to the new Health Care bill.

Who knows what Insurance MegaCorporations could be rationalizing when it comes to government competition.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

Sarcasm.

...i really need to stop reading news site comments

When I first read it, I thought A Modest Proposal was an old WSJ editorial.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just read the last two pages and without search don't know if you all have seen it yet, but check out his alleged YouTube page before it's taken down.
    It is really sad/scary to see the rantings of this unstable man.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So the names of the six people who were killed were released. The nine year old girl especially is absolutely heartbreaking. I can't imagine what her family is feeling at the moment. Politics has nothing to do with that, that was just pure, fucked up evil.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Detharin wrote: »
    Hey look the other side has crazy graphs to, complete with targets pointing at republicans. Moreover a pro-gun anti-illegal immigration blue dog democrat is not exactly big on the hit list. How about we all stop trying to exploit this tragedy and leave that to the media vultures.

This might get some traction if virtually every gun toting nutcase in the history of ever wasn't right wing or apolitical, they're haven't been really any leftwing radicals since Vietnam in the US

Edit: As far as we know as of now, this guy is just a general nutcase, retard, and anarchist who was in desperate need of some basic logic skills. There is no evidence that Beck or Palin moved him to do this, but that makes them no less responsible for shifting the tone of discussion in the United States to one where instead of saying "I disagree and here's why" you say "THAT IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL YOU'RE DESTROYING AMERICA"

override367 on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Besides the SUV burning green folks.

At least thats the one that comes to mind.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Some encouraging news from Talking Points Memo:
    A family friends [sic] tells FOX 11 News Rep. Giffords woke up from anesthesia & spoke to people in her room & recognized her husband Mark Kelly.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Besides the SUV burning green folks.

At least thats the one that comes to mind.

To be fair, there are the various animal/environment whackjobs who I -guess- are considered left? But none of them are championed by the party.

--

Man, I'm so glad she's doing so well. Considering the scary shit she put up with BEFORE all of this she's one tough woman.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    There aren't enough facts to use right now, it's all speculation until the gunman is interviewed
    To be honest, I don't know if we can be sure even after that. Even if he says it was for the political reasons that people want to accuse Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin for, we have no way of ever knowing that he's not lying for further attention and he only did it because he wanted to be on the front page of every newspaper in the country tomorrow.

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Some encouraging news from Talking Points Memo:
    A family friends [sic] tells FOX 11 News Rep. Giffords woke up from anesthesia & spoke to people in her room & recognized her husband Mark Kelly.

This is great news, but I'm a terrible person because on reading this I immediately thought of her waking up to a cowboy robot telling her that a guy in a checker suit shot her

override367 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    To be fair, there are the various animal/environment whackjobs who I -guess- are considered left? But none of them are championed by the party.

Since environmentalism is a liberal idea the whackos among the ideology are ours to own.

And lets not get into "who's wacko's are wackier" thing, its silly and pointless.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Eh, the primary difference is that the mainstream left has always abhorred these people. The right is embracing its crazies - they won't this guy (at least I fucking hope not), because he's crossed whatever line that they have, but most of the crazies so far have been either defended by them or not distanced from them

override367 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eh, the primary difference is that the mainstream left has always abhorred these people. The right is embracing its crazies - they won't this guy (at least I fucking hope not), because he's crossed whatever line that they have, but most of the crazies so far have been either defended by them or not distanced from them

Even the guy who flew a goddamn plane into the IRS building they wouldn't completely disavow.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I think the problem here is it draws comparision between the establishment GOP and Dems. The GOP is far more to the right than the Dems are to the left, so it seems logical there would be GOP elements that are more comfortable buddying up to their crazies.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    On a side note; talk about a political golden ticket for her.
    Not to lighten the gravity of the tragedy, but it will be really hard to run against the congresswomen who "took a bullet for her state."

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    akeso wrote: »
    Not to lighten the gravity of the tragedy, but it will be really hard to run against the congresswomen who "took a bullet for her state."

That congressman guy who lost 3 limbs as a soldier would like a word with you.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

That sounds really optimistic for her chances of being able to keep working after this.

Scooter on
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Scooter wrote: »

That sounds really optimistic for her chances of being able to keep working after this.

If she's in any way functioning at all, the party leadership will push hard to keep her in her position; there is just too much political clout for her to be gained from this if she plays her cards right.
    Like it or not, that's politics.

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Now seeing reports that there was apparently a suspicious package left at her office. Bomb squad's checking it out.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    galenblade wrote: »
    Now seeing reports that there was apparently a suspicious package left at her office. Bomb squad's checking it out.

Man nothing worse than a crazy with a back up plan.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    tetsuoZshimatetsuoZshima Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That map is actually targeting states, not politicians. I don't think anyone is going to assassinate the entire state of michigan.

.. did you scroll down? the politicians are listed below the map. by name. followed by (x) number down.

I don't understand how anyone could possibly misconstrue it either.

I still don't know what I think of the whole thing. It's about a mile from my house. The Wells Fargo next to that Safeway is my bank. I guess I don't really care if it's political or not, to be honest. Crazy people need to shoot themselves, not others.

tetsuoZshima on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The problem with the comparison of a targeting graph from Democrats and Republicans is motherfucking context.

Namely, this context.

At liberals absolute worst, we hope Scalia dies.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i actually hope crazy people get help before shooting anything.

I'm such a softie

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

That guy who lost because he wasn't man enough to stand up to terrorism?

What a sissy, that guy!

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hoz wrote: »

That guy who lost because he wasn't man enough to stand up to terrorism?

What a sissy, that guy!

/groan

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If society has broken down then man cannot survive

Society has broken down

Thus man cannot survive

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    TaxexemptionTaxexemption Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

.. did you scroll down? the politicians are listed below the map. by name. followed by (x) number down.

I don't understand how anyone could possibly misconstrue it either.

I still don't know what I think of the whole thing. It's about a mile from my house. The Wells Fargo next to that Safeway is my bank. I guess I don't really care if it's political or not, to be honest. Crazy people need to shoot themselves, not others.

I find the last part to be rather offensive.

The reason why we have people like this killing other people has more to do with the breakdown of society than anything that is wrong with the individual. Some of us need to be a part of a community more than others, the alienation many adults feel in modern society that results from the inability for many individuals to find a place in it is a growing issue.

You can make it about the left, you can make it about the right, but what this is really about is society. Man cannot exist without meaning, so when he cannot find meaning, he will make his own.

Taxexemption on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kdrudy wrote: »
    If society has broken down then man cannot survive

Society has broken down

Thus man cannot survive
    I would love to have talked to this guy and just blown his mind with:

Man can survive

Thus society has not broken down

Hoz on