As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game of the Year 2010 Poll [*RESULTS*]

mccmcc glitchRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
trophy.jpg

This gorgeous hand-blown trophy was created by The_Scarab. It is made of crystal and unicorn hair and is illegal to transport across state lines, on account of the unicorn hair.

CLICK HERE TO JUMP TO THE PRETTY COLOR-CODED FULL RESULTS

Every year since 2004 I've been hosting this Game of the Year poll for the users of some forums I read. There are a lot of GOTY polls out there, but this one I think is kind of special. Most polls, you're given a list of four or five options and you're asked to pick the one you liked best. This poll, people are given a list of a couple of hundred options, consisting of every new game released in the previous year-- and asked to rate their top ten or twenty.

This does a few interesting things. First off, we get to see all the information about what people's second, third etc choices are. Second off, because the second, third etc choices count, people are more likely to vote for the game they want to win, rather than the game they think is likely to win-- they're less likely to engage in "strategic voting". Finally, because we have all this information, we're actually able to provide somewhat reasonable rankings for something like the top hundred or so games of last year.

The full results-- showing the exact number of voters who ranked each game first, second, third place etc-- can be found here. In the meantime, the final results were:
  1. Mass Effect 2 (8125) *** GAME OF THE YEAR ***
  2. Red Dead Redemption (4887)
  3. Starcraft 2 (3930)
  4. Minecraft (3678)
  5. Fallout: New Vegas (3513)
  6. Super Meat Boy (3205)
  7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (3006)
  8. Halo Reach (2713)
  9. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (2505)
  10. Civilization V (2444)
  11. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2378)
  12. Bayonetta (2257)
  13. Darksiders (1967)
  14. Just Cause 2 (1865)
  15. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (1855)
  16. Angry Birds (1740)
  17. Alpha Protocol (1677)
  18. Call of Duty: Black Ops (1604)
  19. Heavy Rain (1573)
  20. VVVVVV (1523)
The numbers in parentheses are the final scores each game got under the poll's ranking system. Thanks if you voted, and some more elaborate analysis of the results (plus an explanation of the scores) can be found below.

NOTEWORTHY WINNERS
  • GOTY 2010:
    #1, Mass Effect 2
  • Top-ranked PC Exclusive:
    #3, Starcraft 2
  • Top-ranked Wii Exclusive:
    #7, Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Top-ranked 360 Exclusive:
    #8, Halo Reach
  • Top-ranked iPhone/Android Exclusive:
    #16, Angry Birds
  • Top-ranked PS3 Exclusive:
    #19, Heavy Rain
  • Top-ranked DS Exclusive:
    #31, Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  • Top-ranked PSP Exclusive:
    #64, Valkyria Chronicles 2
  • Best RPG:
    #1, Mass Effect 2
  • Best FPS:
    #4, Minecraft
  • Best "Indie" Game:
    #4, Minecraft
  • Best Game Available Through A Console Download Service:
    #6, Super Meat Boy
  • Best Browser Game:
    #48, Robot Unicorn Attack
  • "Cult" Award (see below):
    #52, Deadly Premonition
  • Best Downloadable Game (XBLIG division):
    #59, Breath of Death VII: The Beginning

NOTEWORTHY LOSERS
  • Best game of 2010 which somehow nobody considered to be their #1 pick: #35, Alien Swarm
  • Worst game of 2010 that at least one person considered their #1 pick: #200, 3D Infinity (This is an XBLIG game; Only one person voted for this at all)
  • Worst game of 2010: #237, Dead Nation (Only one person voted for this; it was their #20 pick)

There were 23 games on the nominations list no one voted for at all.

ALTERNATE SCORING METHODS

The rankings listed above are based on a version of the Borda count voting method. Each vote cast for a game gives that game a certain number of points. If someone ranks a game #1, that game gets 20 points. If they rank it #2, the game gets 19 points. If they rank it #3 the game gets 18 points... and so on. I have a script that checks a couple of alternate ways of ranking the same data, though.

For example, if we rank games only by the number of first post votes they got, we get a wildly different list, with tons of games listing that otherwise weren't anywhere near the top 20:

First Past the Post
  1. Mass Effect 2 (231)
  2. Red Dead Redemption (69)
  3. Starcraft 2 (47)
  4. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (40)
  5. Minecraft (35)
  6. Fallout: New Vegas (29)
  7. Bayonetta (20)
  8. Super Meat Boy (19)
  9. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (18)
  10. Alpha Protocol (15)
  11. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (15)
  12. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (14)
  13. Deadly Premonition (12)
  14. Rock Band 3 (11)
  15. Civilization V (10)
  16. Alan Wake (10)
  17. Halo Reach (10)
  18. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (10)
  19. Super Street Fighter 4 (9)
  20. Call of Duty: Black Ops (9)
Most years when I look at the first-past-the-post list a "cult" game emerges that received very few overall votes, but where an overwhelming percentage of those votes were #1 votes; this year actually seemed to have more "cult" games than normal, but I think the cult award was pretty clearly earned here by Deadly Premonition, which went from a ridiculous #52 in the normal ranking to #13 in the first-place-votes ranking. Also noteworthy here though were Dragon Quest IX (jumps from #31 to #12) and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat (jumps from #37 to #15, tying with Halo).

I also did two more ways of sorting the rankings: an "approval" vote, where nothing is counted except the number of votes a game received (i.e. a first-place and a twentieth-place ranking count the same-- all the matters is if the game was on someone's list); and an instant runoff vote. Your eyes are probably starting to glaze over at this point, and these rankings very rarely differ from the Borda rankings, so I bolded the places where these two votes differ from the official rank. A small observation: 858 people voted this year. More than half placed some sort of vote for Mass Effect 2.

Approval
  1. Mass Effect 2 (440)
  2. Red Dead Redemption (284)
  3. Starcraft 2 (241)
  4. Minecraft (235)
  5. Fallout: New Vegas (217)
  6. Super Meat Boy (210)
  7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (182)
  8. Halo Reach (177)
  9. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (165)
  10. Civilization V (163)
  11. Bayonetta (155)
  12. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (146)
  13. Darksiders (144)
  14. Angry Birds (137)
  15. Just Cause 2 (135)
  16. Scott Pilgrim vs The World (115)
  17. Alpha Protocol (115)
  18. Call of Duty: Black Ops (115)
  19. Heavy Rain (114)
  20. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (114)

IRV
  1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Starcraft 2
  4. Minecraft
  5. Fallout: New Vegas
  6. Super Meat Boy
  7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 [/b]
  8. Halo Reach
  9. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
  10. Civilization V
  11. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
  12. Bayonetta
  13. Darksiders
  14. Just Cause 2
  15. Angry Birds
  16. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
  17. Alpha Protpcol
  18. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  19. Alan Wake
  20. Heavy Rain

FINALLY: PER-FORUM BREAKDOWNS

Since like I mentioned there are a couple other small forums participating in this poll, I also went through and ran numbers using only votes from people who, as far as I could tell from the logs, came from the penny arcade site specifically. These numbers aren't totally accurate because my logging method is not entirely trustworthy, but either way, here you go.

Penny Arcade Forums (666 voters)
  1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Starcraft 2
  4. Fallout: New Vegas
  5. Minecraft
  6. Halo Reach
  7. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  8. Super Meat Boy
  9. Civilization V
  10. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
  11. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
  12. Darksiders
  13. Bayonetta
  14. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
  15. Just Cause 2
  16. Alpha Protocol
  17. Angry Birds
  18. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  19. Heavy Rain
  20. God of War 3

mcc on

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't see your fancy list. Is your website dead?

Peewi on
  • mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Uhh...

I can see the fancy list.

Try again? ohdear.png

mcc on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alpha protocol did a hell of a lot better than I thought it would. It even made the overall top 20?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If this thread should teach me anything, it is that I should probably finish ME2

Foolish Chaos on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Disappointed to see Alan Wake not crack the top 20

Mass Effect 2 though hell yea

tofu on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for doing this every year, mcc!

Two people voted Golden Sun: Dark Dawn as their favorite game of the year! And I thought I was a fanboy!

It beat 999 too despite six people voting 999 as their number one. Take that, cj!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Reposted from the other thread, but wow, kinda shocked at the winner. In the console race it was an exclusive.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mcc wrote: »

Penny Arcade Forums (666 voters)

I am neither a superstitious nor religious man... but really?

Taramoor on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mcc wrote: »
    Uhh...

I can see the fancy list.

Try again? ohdear.png

I can't see your avatar either, which I see is hosted on your site. I can't reach grumpybumpers.com at all. I think the problem might be on my end, though.

Peewi on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Top 3 are unsurprising

But Alpha Protocol at 18 is awesome

And is Minecraft really an FPS?

Dox the PI on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You can shoot arrows.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Damn it, why did ME2 have to win?

Now I can't complain about Halo or Zelda or Starcraft winning!

Oh well, I guess I can still complain about 999 only coming 65th.

The Anonymous on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    (Pleasantly) surprised to see Heavy Rain crack the top 20.

Also surprised to see (if I'm reading the pretty color-coded results right) that someone else voted Yakuza 3 as their GotY. High-five to whoever that was!

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alpha Protocol did a lot better than I could imagine. Even beat out Heavy Rain.

Overall some things are very surprising. It's sad that Minecraft didn't make it in the Top three but its great that its this high up.

C2B on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's pretty impressive that a game that technically hasn't been released yet got fourth place for GOTY 2010. But I guess semantics. (Though, what happens when it goes final release build, say, this year?)

Zxerol on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fuck, I totally forgot about this and didn't get a chance to vote. But then again, one vote doesn't matter so whatever. :D I enjoy this every year, mcc, thanks for doing it again!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited January 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    That's pretty impressive that a game that technically hasn't been released yet got fourth place for GOTY 2010. But I guess semantics. (Though, what happens when it goes final release build, say, this year?)

Guess it should be the same rule as on Giant Bomb. It either hasn't been released yet, or came out in 2009, or came out this year. Either way it is only eligible once.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The more I play Just Cause 2 the more I love it. I just bought it, after not liking the demo.

it just keeps getting funner and funner and has not once dissapointed me, every mission has been fun as hell, quick and too the point. Not a single mission has been unfair or too hard and there have been some absolutely stunning ones (the floating dance club, the japanese WW2 island, just to mention sidequests).

Iits just so refreshing the missions, theres no filler, theres no go here, do this, now go here, and do this
    its all linked together and they constantly give you breaks, its all payoff, yet theres always something new to see.

Also the game is fucking hilarious, it took me a while to realise its intentionally a giant comedy but the more you play the more missions run with the over-the-topness and are self-referencial.

Everything about it keeps me playing, its light and easy yet rewarding and fun, you feel challenged but not overwhelmed and you are constantly pulling off stuff you never knew you could do, 30 hours in.

The world is absoutely beautiful too, the locations are stunning and sometimes I just stop and stare at a vista.

Sorry Mass Effect 2 is definately my fav, but Just Cause 2 is increasingly becoming my 'non-serious' fav of 2010. Loving it.

Also makes me realise how much I hated GTA and Red Dead Redemptions missions. I realise in terms of production they were much much better, but most were so frustratingly and unfairly difficult and restrictive they ruined any sense of fun and adrenaline you might have. What i've loved so far is that every mission is like a candy bar bite, quick and simple and tasty, and before you know it you're out of candy.

Prohass on
    edited January 2011
    Except with that game you are never out of candy.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited January 2011
    Except with that game you are never out of candy.

This is why its so damn deadly. Also its really cheap now. Basically buy it you fools.

Basically I was 30 hours in, and I suddenly realised, I had never once done a mission that annoyed me. There are a few that arent exactly thrilling, but they're over fast. Playing on normal you only ever fail due to your own incompetence, which is nice.

The only thing that I find difficult is the plane races, but since they are entirely optional its no biggy.

Also elites being dropped in by parachute and landing on my rotor blades as im taking off in a heli pretty much bumped this into my "I wish I had voted for this" slot.

Prohass on
    edited January 2011
    Actually that's what's been holding me back from JC2, because I'm not sure how the missions will hold up.

How does it compare mission-wise to Mercenaries (awesome) and GTA/RDR (don't really like)?

Antihippy on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »

And is Minecraft really an FPS?

It has to be an error.

It's an error, right?
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    (Pleasantly) surprised to see Heavy Rain crack the top 20.

Agbhabglalgagblagblabgbaglbalgbalgbahbhlagbh

Adus on
    edited January 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Actually that's what's been holding me back from JC2, because I'm not sure how the missions will hold up.

How does it compare mission-wise to Mercenaries (awesome) and GTA/RDR (don't really like)?

Ive never played Mercenaries. But personally I always found the GTA and RDR had so much filler in their missions, which is fine for creating atmosphere, but it rarely was done well and often just made the missions frustrating or feel padded.

JC2 missions never have multiple objectives, or rarely do, and have checkpoints throughout. They are varied in location and objective, and all work pretty well.

There are a few absolute gems sprinkled throughout as well.

Its the kind of game where half way in you realise you can do something, and are like, holy shit, this changes everything.

If you can find it cheap its a must buy, ive been wracking my brain trying to think of a single moment where I was like "ugh not this again" or anything I didnt thoroughly enjoy.

Also im pretty sure one of the missions is a dig at Mercenaries. Its called "Mercenaries must die" and you have to kill a mercenary, and they kept saying the word mercenary.

The feeling of being an angry god destroying a country is just pretty neat.

I know this isnt a Just Cause 2 thread, but it totally should be.

Prohass on
    edited January 2011
    Ah well.

You just made a $30 purchase on steam pretty easy.

I suddenly realised that most ofl the games I want to play on PC are open world games. :lol:

edit: might wait another week to see if there are any sales. >_>

Antihippy on
    edited January 2011
    The only wrong thing you can do in JC2 is not upgrade the submachine guns to full and dual wield them. Its like jedi force pushing entire groups of enemies, but with bullets, a wall of bullets. But yeah if you see this thing on sale grab it.

Also whats this deadly premonition I keep hearing about?

Prohass on
    edited January 2011
    Was Mercenaries Must Die the one with the superhuman who you have to kill?

I tried Ramboing that guy and failing miserably. Ended up running away to fight him another day.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited January 2011
    Was Mercenaries Must Die the one with the superhuman who you have to kill?

I tried Ramboing that guy and failing miserably. Ended up running away to fight him another day.

Yeah I think so.

I just submachined guned him into submission. Best strategy is to avoid the bullet-proof vest guys until you've dealt with their cronies. Or make sure to head shot them first. But that area is pretty hard so if you go straight for him the ants pour out of that base, strangely enough I just finished it as soon as I came into this thread.

Prohass on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yay Mass Effect!

I expected Stalker to fare much better. I think I put it in my top 3 with ME2 and JC2 despite having barely played it. It's weird to look at the end list and see something like Angry Birds preceding Alpha Protocol, VVVVVV, and Stalker.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I too am disappointed Alan Wake didn't break the Top 20, but Mass Effect 2 is an amazing game as well.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Even duller a selection than usual. Good on SMB and Bayonetta (I would add RDR and MG2, but those two were as predictable as sunrise), but that's otherwise the most boring lot of results I've ever seen these forums produce, even on the alternate vote.
    Where are the actual best games of the year? Amnesia? Vanquish? Sin and Punishment?
    Apparently they've been discarded in favour of blue alien romance, Rob Liefield Zelda and a beta that should have been disqualified from voting.

Xagarath on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    biggest surprise for me is how (relatively) low Mario Galaxy 2 is placed, although I don't quite remember how well Galaxy 1 did

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it got like third.

Some people were all like, "Wahh waah, PA forums are so biased, of course anything by Nintendo is going to come first."

And then Portal came and bitchslapped everything on the poll.

Zxerol on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't think anyone is surprised by this list, really, at least for the first 5 or so places.

Also the nerd rage from people who are mad about Minecraft's position is hilarious. Your nerd tears are delicious. The very fact that it got 4th suggests its a great game worthy of inclusion.

Any way you look at it, its a released game, because you pay for it. Just because its still under development does not preclude its inclusion. Hell, World of Warcraft is constantly under development too! Just because a developer says its officially beta that does not make it a non-released game, if you can buy it.

EDIT: that said, it shouldn't be classified as an FPS.

Dhalphir on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Any way you look at it, its a released game, because you pay for it.

Non sequitur

Opium on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So it would be perfectly fair to review minecraft with no caveats for it's development status?
    Opium wrote: »
    Any way you look at it, its a released game, because you pay for it.

Non sequitur
    Also that criteria would clearly make it a 2009 game.

-SPI- on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    -SPI- wrote: »
    So it would be perfectly fair to review minecraft with no caveats for it's development status?

I think it would be perfectly fair to do so given that the developer has chosen to charge for a game he himself says is under development. You would, regardless, have to give some consideration/caveats for the fact that, up until recently, it was developed by a single person.

Which becomes a circular argument. You review it as a finished game so it is a released game and you can then review it as a finished game.

I still don't know why its being considered an FPS, if you were to give it an exclusive award, best indie game would be the one I'd give it. I don't know that it really fits current definitions of games.

Dhalphir on
    edited January 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Even duller a selection than usual. Good on SMB and Bayonetta (I would add RDR and MG2, but those two were as predictable as sunrise), but that's otherwise the most boring lot of results I've ever seen these forums produce, even on the alternate vote.
    Where are the actual best games of the year? Amnesia? Vanquish? Sin and Punishment?
    Apparently they've been discarded in favour of blue alien romance, Rob Liefield Zelda and a beta that should have been disqualified from voting.

Spoken like someone who hasn't actually bothered to play the game properly, and has just decided to form an opinion of it and then be elitist about other tiny insiginicant games.

Mass Effect 2 is a fantastic game. Maybe you don't like it, but that is your opinion, and its a goose opinion because regardless of how much you personally dislike a game, you cannot disregard such an overwhelming majority opinion.

I mean, look at Starcraft 2. One of the most hotly anticipated games ever since the original came out 11 years ago, and it still was completely TROUNCED by ME2.

Dhalphir on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a fantastic game. Maybe you don't like it, but that is your opinion, and its a goose opinion because regardless of how much you personally dislike a game, you cannot disregard such an overwhelming majority opinion.

By that logic the Oscar for Best Picture would go to something like Transformers: Rise of the Fallen and Two and a Half Men would count as sophisticated literature. Just because a majority likes something does not make it de facto high quality.

Opium on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, plenty of people disliked RDR and ME2 for what I'm sure were legitimate reasons.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »

wow....I mean, I think we might have our post of the year already, and only 9 days in

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126