As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] 2033

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    syndalis wrote: »
    shalmelo wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    I am eating queen olives.

They are not the type where the flesh rolls cleanly off the stone. There is lots of determined nibbling involved.

Worst olives.

So tasty, but so difficult to eat.

I would go so far as to say best tasting olive.

This is why you guys should get with the GE.

You can make your olives taste good AND easy to eat.

Winky on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Welp, I just lost my job. If anyone knows of any openings in Canada, I'm looking! :P

Sorry. :(

p.s. Isn't Canada kind of large?

Kinda in that Russia is larger. I'm willing to move anywhere in Canada for a good job. :P I'm a programmer with some experience in IT, but for the last two years I've managed a logistics operation.

Well, design a video game. The best video game ever. Then sell it and make money.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Like I'm pretty sure that Dead Space was originally going to be a System Shock game.

Cinders on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone on the drive between LA and Portland possibly able to give me a place to crash say....friday evening? Eh Eh?

*crickets*

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The SShock2 videos are practically impossible to get working in modern versions of Windows. They rely on an incredibly old and obscure Intel video codec.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Cinders wrote: »
    Like I'm pretty sure that Dead Space was originally going to be a System Shock game.

I remember hearing something similar to this as well. It is at the very least a spiritually successor. I really should beat that game, I only got halfway through on my first playthrough on hard. Tempted to go back and start over on normal, but, I dunno if it would have the same feel of terror if it was less hard.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Anyone on the drive between LA and Portland possibly able to give me a place to crash say....friday evening? Eh Eh?

*crickets*

Yeah dude, just stop by in Chicago.

It is between LA and Portland longitudinally.

Winky on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

*crickets*

is new jersey in between those places

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sometimes I feel tempted to try to get KOTOR 2 working, but then I remember all the effort and anguish I've already poured into that, and it never came to anything anyway, so I always pass.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Winky wrote: »

*crickets*

Yeah dude, just stop by in Chicago.

It is between LA and Portland longitudinally.

Man, don't make me sad by reminding me how hard it is logistically for me to hang out with you. :(

Edit: That goes for you too Vari!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I remember hearing something similar to this as well. It is at the very least a spiritually successor. I really should beat that game, I only got halfway through on my first playthrough on hard. Tempted to go back and start over an easy, but, I dunno if it would have the same feel of terror of it was less hard.

Dead Space is nowhere as good as System Shock 2.

Dead Space wasn't really that good imo.

I wish it were scarier.

Winky on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

*crickets*

Man I used to do the LA-Portland drive once a year. There IS nothing on that drive. It's LA, barren wasteland, Sacramento, barren wasteland, mountains, pretty country, redneck mini-cities, farmland, Portland sprawl.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The SShock2 videos are practically impossible to get working in modern versions of Windows. They rely on an incredibly old and obscure Intel video codec.

Yeah, I just found this:

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,520.0.html
    LGVID.AX
    For videos of whatever format to play in SS2, the file LGVID.AX must be registered with Windows. LGVID.AX is not the codec but it handles the videos for SS2 and it can be found in your SS2 folder.
    If it is not registered correctly the game usually just skips the cutscenes, but in some cases it may not even get to the main menu, because the Irrational-logo video can't play at the start.
    To make sure that it is really a video problem, rename the file LGVID.AX to LGVID.AX.BAK. If the game runs now, rename the file back and follow this guide to get the cutscenes working.

Note: The following refers to the original videos encoded with Indeo. Here's a quick size-check to see which videos you have.
    cutscenes/CREDITS.AVI ~17MB original videos
    cutscenes/CREDITS.AVI ~4MB HOTU videos (re-encoded)

Instructions for SS2 original videos

* Only on Windows XP: Download the Indeo Video Codec and run the setup (Skip this step on Vista/Win7)
    * Got to: Start -> Accessories -> Right click: DOS prompt
    * Select: Run As Administrator
    * Type: regsvr32 "c:\your\path\to\SS2\LGVID.AX" Return
    * On 32bit systems type: regsvr32 ir50_32.dll Return
    * On 64bit systems type: regsvr32 "%windir%\sysWOW64\ir50_32.dll" Return
    * On Vista/Windows7 run SS2 as admin

Information about the Indeo Codec
    The original SS2 videos are encoded with Intel's Indeo Codec which includes video and audio codecs. It used to be part of any Windows98 and WindowsXP installation. But starting with Service Pack 1 Microsoft dropped the Indeo codec from Windows XP.
    But since Indeo is still needed for quite a few older games and applications, Microsoft revived the codec for Vista and Windows 7. So Vista and Win7 have the codec pre-installed again, albeit limited to local content for security reasons. Microsoft also released an automatic Windows update for XP with the same effect.
    Somewhere in between the original manufacturer Intel sold the codec to Ligos Corp who made and tried to sell a few updated versions. (Ligos' last version included Indeo video 5.22, the legacy codec Indeo video 4.5 and the Indeo audio decoder 2.5.)
    These updates were quite pointless because Indeo is by all accounts a legacy codec now. The content that it is required for (like System Shock 2's videos) runs fine with the last freely distributable Indeo version 5.11. And much better codecs exist for new content. Additionally these updated versions are incompatible with Vista and Win7. Microsoft simply locked Ligos out. Using an old deal they had with Intel that allowed them to distribute the codec, they put it back into Vista/Win7 and made the codec system files which cannot be overwritten.
    Long story short: The Indeo codec is part of any Windows system except Windows XP SP1-SP3 for which a compatible free version exists. See the link above or the attachment to this post.

Play order of the videos
    If you can't get the videos to run inside the game, you might still be able to watch them with a video player outside of the game. This is the order in which the videos are played:

* cs1.avi plays when you start the game
    * starport.avi plays after you have chosen your career
    * shuttle1.avi plays after you have chosen your 1st training year
    * shuttle2.avi plays after you have chosen your 2nd training year
    * shuttle3.avi plays after you have chosen your 3rd training year
    * cs2.avi plays right after it
    * cs3.avi plays after finishing the game

Note: I'm not sure about landing.avi, it should play sometime during your training years as well. Anyone else knows this?

Further Help

* If after following this guide you still can't get the videos to run, please post your problem with a detailed description in Shock Helpdesk.
    * Related thread: SS2 Game does not start (video problem)
    * Reencoded videos by user 81403: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=60LH0N53 The cutscenes are reencoded from the original ones using 2-pass XviD with roughly the same bitrate as the original videos.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dead Space was more of a spiritual successor then bioshock which was basically a remake of system shock.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I remember hearing something similar to this as well. It is at the very least a spiritually successor. I really should beat that game, I only got halfway through on my first playthrough on hard. Tempted to go back and start over an easy, but, I dunno if it would have the same feel of terror of it was less hard.

I wish it were scarier.

It was scary enough for me.

*wibbles*

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dead Space is RE4 perfected.

It's nowhere near the same genre as System Shock 2. System Shock 2 is more akin to Deus Ex and Bloodlines.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

*crickets*

Man I used to do the LA-Portland drive once a year. There IS nothing on that drive. It's LA, barren wasteland, Sacramento, barren wasteland, mountains, pretty country, redneck mini-cities, farmland, Portland sprawl.

Any tips on good places to stop for gas/food?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

When the Thief vids didn't come up, I tracked down where they were installed and tried to play them in WMP. Audio only.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Oh horse balls. Peter Yates died.

Thanks for Bullitt, dude.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dead Space was more of a spiritual successor then bioshock which was basically a remake of system shock.

Bioshock > Dead Space

Bioshock was a lot scarier in my opinion, and had better atmosphere.

Winky on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I quite enjoyed Dead Space.

I also really liked the Wii rail-shooter.

I was a bit bewildered by the non-stop barrage of supplemental material surrounding Dead Space. I'm wondering if they'll try the same sort of thing when the sequel hits.

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I know this will catch me all kind of flak but man I could not for the life of me get into Deus Ex for some reason, this was back when it came out. I dunno, I'd get a couple missions in and just burn out every time. I must have done those first couple missions close to a dozen times. I think I would just become dissatisfied with my choices no matter how I developed my character and always want to go back and try again, ad naseum.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »

I wish it were scarier.

*wibbles*

Is Amnesia scary? These people are making me want to play Amnesia, but I need to focus on Mage, and EVE, and moving, and the D&D game and and

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    We got VtM:Bloodlines entirely by accident because Cesca saw it in a bargain bin and used to play the WoD games.

Best "got to be worth a punt" ever.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Bioshock > Dead Space

Bioshock was a lot scarier in my opinion, and had better atmosphere.

Bioshock was not in the least bit scary. At least, if you discovered how over powered the wrench was when combined with being able to turn invisible.

When you are sneaking up and one shotting enemies and stealing their life and if they do turn around you can heal by hitting them faster than they can hurt you well, things cease to be scary really fast.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mori, I must've missed something (I have been less active in chat lately).

You are moving, where to?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Solution: install Windows 98 on a separate partition.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    dudes

duuuuudes

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mori, I must've missed something (I have been less active in chat lately).

You are moving, where to?

Nowhere exciting, just closer to work.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »

I wish it were scarier.

*wibbles*

Is Amnesia scary? These people are making me want to play Amnesia, but I need to focus on Mage, and EVE, and moving, and the D&D game and and

Yes.

But Mage!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I know this will catch me all kind of flak but man I could not for the life of me get into Deus Ex for some reason, this was back when it came out. I dunno, I'd get a couple missions in and just burn out every time. I must have done those first couple missions close to a dozen times. I think I would just become dissatisfied with my choices no matter how I developed my character and always want to go back and try again, ad naseum.

Back when Deus Ex came out I couldn't make it very far either.

But I was like 10 and it was too hard.

I just played through it again recently and it was a lot of fun. The gameplay has aged well.

Winky on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

*crickets*

if you take a huge detour you can crash on my couch

Arch on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    goddamn

that's a shame

one of the best games i've ever played

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    Solution: install Windows 98 on a separate partition.

I have a whole seperate machine for Windows 98.

Radeon 9700 Pro for the win.

japan on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I bought it for a fiver, played it for about five minutes until I was unable to figure out which button opened a door. Then never touched it again. I really ought to see if I still have that copy.

Starcross on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey [chat]. How are you guys?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I felt the same way, I loved SS2, but Deus Ex just didn't grip me. The narrative just wasn't there.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

IT'S NOT SYSTEM SHOCK WITHOUT SHODAN ARRRRGGGHHH.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

*crickets*

Any tips on good places to stop for gas/food?

Eh, not really. Been several years since I drove that route. For sheer convenience, Roseburg and Grants Pass in southern Oregon are both good, with lots of options close to the freeway exit. But that was never a trip where I made a point of stopping and checking places out. I almost always did it in one day of nearly non-stop driving. Srsly, the northern half of California along I-5 is pretty dull.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
This discussion has been closed.