As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

fast onset muscle fatigue, temporary solutions

OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
anyone suggestions on chemicals, home remedies, or dark incantations that I could use to temporarily and Preemptively stop muscle fatigue from acid buildup? Particularly the legs.

My only idea currently is to start dosing up on Naproxen, and right before the physical exertion, drink some of this.

Octoparrot on

• witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Stretching extensively before and after exercise should help.

witch_ie on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are you actually working your muscles to exhaustion or are you more concerned with soreness after using them?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are you actually working your muscles to exhaustion or are you more concerned with soreness after using them?

The first one, after about 2 minutes of a high calisthenic routine. Being out of breath isnt a problem. I'm trying to be able to get through without feeling anything, then I really don't care if I throw up or die afterwards.

Octoparrot on
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Odds are your muscles fatigue quickly because they aren't used to being used.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007
    PirateJon wrote: »

hey, then uh, suggest something to help me ignore it. Next time I'll use "a buildup of cinnamon in my muscles"

Octoparrot on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So... basically you don't want to feel the burn when you work out?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    So... basically you don't want to feel the burn when you work out?

Yes, for one day. Happily at the expense of not getting anything beneficial out of the workout, even it being detrimental.

Octoparrot on
    edited May 2007
    Don't work out for a day.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007
    There's no such thing as "fast onset muscle fatigue". Of cource you'll get tired from working out. Google "ATP cycle". I guess he either wants to get more endurance or less pain. Less pain - sure pop an advil or whatever.

Article i linked just for you:
    Yet, Dr. Brooks said, even though coaches often believed in the myth of the lactic acid threshold, they ended up training athletes in the best way possible to increase their mitochondria. "Coaches have understood things the scientists didn't," he said.

Through trial and error, coaches learned that athletic performance improved when athletes worked on endurance, running longer and longer distances, for example.

That, it turns out, increased the mass of their muscle mitochondria, letting them burn more lactic acid and allowing the muscles to work harder and longer.

Just before a race, coaches often tell athletes to train very hard in brief spurts.

That extra stress increases the mitochondria mass even more, Dr. Brooks said, and is the reason for improved performance.

That's how you build endurance. More endurance = less fatigue.

PirateJon on
    edited May 2007
    Exactly. Dude either needs to quit working out to avoid it or man up and work through it.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    man up and work through it.

Scientifically, this is the best solution to all problems.

PirateJon on
    edited May 2007
    I agree.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think there is an alterior motive here. Either he wants to impress a girl or beat the cocky guy.

Either way, practice is going to be your best bet.

And regarding the
    PirateJon wrote:
    LOL @ 'acid buildup'. Take a fact and call me in the morning.

It is 100 years of knowledge that is trying to be redistributed out as of May, 2006. It is perfectly acceptable that it is not common knowledge...

meeker on
  • NovusNovus regular
    edited May 2007
    After a while it goes away but when you're starting out or if you find a muscle group you've been neglecting it's going to hurt. What's worked for me is to do low weight high rep until the muscles adapt; then you can start piling on the weight.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not the most fitness-oriented guy, but it's my understanding that if you're working out to 'the burn' you're pushing yourself too hard.

A little soreness or stiffness the morning after your workout is normal, feeling sore 30 minutes after your workout is not.

I'm hoping somebody can confirm or deny this.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It sounds to me like you're trying to pass something one time, like a fitness test for the military/police/fire/etc. If that's the case, taking ibuprofen or naproxin before the event will probably help. However, if you're really not in good enough shape and you don't have time to train it will still be miserable. It would help if I knew why you wanted to do this, but my general advice would be:

Start out slow if you can. The only chance you have of completing a test you're not ready for is going slow and steady. If you don't have the endurance, you will fail if you try to "win" from the start.

Drink plenty of water. Start that now, not just day of.

If it's not tomorrow or the day after, start training. Even if it's just a week, you can get your body a little more used to what you're going to demand of it. Take a break the day or 2 before though.

You're going to be in pain. Suck it up. Ignore muscle fatigue pain and only pay attention to "I just injured myself" pain. Depending on what this is for, you may want to work thru the injury, especially if it's of the pass this and you're in variety. If it's something like the fire department and you injure yourself but pass the test, you'll still get kicked out of training for being unable to perform.

Oh, and the drink sounds like bullshit. If you're not used to drinking it on a regular basis it will probably make you sick as well.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162