As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another broken iPod

Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's the deal:

I've got a 30gb video iPod, got it probably around when they came out. Recently it started not realizing it was connected to my car stereo (it's got an iPod cable to control from the dash).

Two days ago I had it charging on the computer for a bit, and after I removed it (properly) the battery was in the red. I used it for my bike ride home from work and the battery meter had jumped to about halfway, maybe less.

Last night, rode to my friend's house listening to it, ate dinner and hung out for a bit, went to turn it on for the ride home and nothing. It doesn't turn on either when I press a button on it, or when I plug it into my PC.

Does this sound like it's the battery that's shot, or is my iPod just fucked in general?

Umlauf.gif
Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
Bouncing_Soul on

• Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Two days ago I had it charging on the computer for a bit, and after I removed it (properly) the battery was in the red. I used it for my bike ride home from work and the battery meter had jumped to about halfway, maybe less.

The battery level changes accordingly to what "mode" the iPod is in. When you're watching a video, it's more demanding of the iPod's battery, so the charge level may be, say, 1/3. When you exit and go back to listening to music with the backlight off, it may jump to 1/2 or 2/3.
    I've got a 30gb video iPod, got it probably around when they came out. Recently it started not realizing it was connected to my car stereo (it's got an iPod cable to control from the dash).

I really can't speak specifically on this - it sounds like it's a problem with the car cable though, not the iPod. If you can still connect to the computer with your iPod, there's no reason it's the iPod's problem and not the car's. Could just be a coincidence your iPod is acting up and the cable for your iPod in your car is, too.
    Last night, rode to my friend's house listening to it, ate dinner and hung out for a bit, went to turn it on for the ride home and nothing. It doesn't turn on either when I press a button on it, or when I plug it into my PC.

Does this sound like it's the battery that's shot, or is my iPod just fucked in general?

Okay.. well after reading this everything else I said seems null. If the iPod just won't turn on and it isn't even booting up when you connect it to the computer, it's your iPod. As to whether or not it's a battery problem - I have no idea.

I'd get someone else's iPod and try out the car stereo. That way you can find out if there's a correlation between your dead iPod and the car cable, or if it was the car cable that was dead and you may only have a dead iPod battery.

If you give some more information, I might be able to help more. I've had my iPod since Christmas 2005 and it's never broken for me, and I use it every day + fall asleep listening to it every night. The battery life is good, no scratches (Brasso + cloth and after it stopped working, one of those protective stickers to go underneath my silicone case =)... it's a good piece of technology and I've got a lot of experience with it. :)

Black Ice on
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for your reply, but I think I actually fixed it. I didn't know/forgot about how to reset it (holding down menu+middle button), and after holding it down for a bit the iPod actually reset and booted up, full battery and all.

I connected it to my computer and it worked, I then took it out to my car and to my amazement it worked.

Again, thanks for the help, this one's solved.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!