As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

House of Flying DOODLES (Occasionally NSFW)

• TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Awesome, though the axe should have a thicker pole.

TheBog on
  • RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    nice Iruka

and more practice
    new_work.jpg

Ravenshadow on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Whoa there, I think you need to look at some shoulder/back reference there dawg.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited May 2007
    straight up g

Ravenshadow on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    TheBog wrote: »

and the lines need to match up for the stick

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ugh... So sleepy. I still thought it would be best if I did some quick figure studies before I go to bed.

Er... NSFW-ish. But only lightly.
    figure18nv0.jpg

Since I'm underage I obviously can't attend a real figure drawing class, but this thing has made a pretty handy substitute, check it out.

G'night.

Flay on
  • Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wooo! My first photoshop painting thingy! Im surprised how good it is so far. But I understand that the whole below the nose is pretty weird at the moment so some suggestions and crits would be awesome.
    Rubycopy.jpg

Lewis Rice on
  • NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    5m skeleton drawing, while I should have been listening to some dull biology lesson. Fortunately I always 'forget' to take my charcoal out of my bag when going to school ^^

skeletto.jpg

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007

Flash didn't want to do either. I'm not used to things readjusting my lines. and I don't know how to turn it off yet.

Iruka on
    edited May 2007
    Iruka wrote: »

Flash didn't want to do either. I'm not used to things readjusting my lines. and I don't know how to turn it off yet.

i know some people who use flash and they all pretty much say it's annoying at first, but once you get, you get it.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A concept for one of the races in "my world", the Tehin.

tehin3.jpg

EDIT: and another one:
    shaiah.jpg
    Wow, I was so focused on making sure that this one doesn't look like an orc... and I got me a goblin instead. Grrrreat.

EDIT2: Fuck lizardmen, I want salamanders!
    sal.jpg

Mayday on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here is a very early shot of a illustrator self p.

self_p.jpg

Reference
    n25511367_32312793_3593.jpg

Sublimus on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I finished my deerguana from the creature thread and put it up on mojizu, so you should all vote for me :D:D:D
    (seriously... vote for me!)
    http://www.mojizu.com/artist/Beavotron/Deerguana.aspx
    deerguana.jpg

beavotron on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    doodles.jpg

You know.. now and again the ridiculous notion comes to me that perhaps my anatomy would improve if I practiced real life anatomy. Then I stop eating paint chips.

TheBog on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Every few months something interesting happens. I'll be browsing through some random comic book forum, just minding my own business, and someone will slam Aquaman. "Hurhurhur, he talks to fish, hurhurhur," and such. Without fail, I then sit down and gouge angrily at my sketchbook for an hour or so, muttering dark curses and gritting my teeth, trying to think of how I'd make Aquaman cool. This was tonight's result.

AquamanRedesign.jpg

The legs are sort of bugging me, but for 45 minutes of work, I'm kind of happy with it.

Munch on
    edited May 2007
    I would make Aquaman cooler by giving him useful powers.

Like super strength or something.

Ravenshadow on
    edited May 2007
    But he.. he has superstrength. He can swim as fast as an F-16. He once gave a supervillain a seizure by using his telepathy to attack the part of his brain that hadn't full evolved from its aquatic roots. He's got perfect nightvision, super dense skin, and he can command all aquatic life, up to and including giant squids.

Man, the dude is not the sum total of what once appeared on a shitty cartoon from three decades ago, and a handful of Seanbaby articles.

gosh

Munch on
    edited May 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    But he.. he has superstrength. He can swim as fast as an F-16. He once gave a supervillain a seizure by using his telepathy to attack the part of his brain that hadn't full evolved from its aquatic roots. He's got perfect nightvision, super dense skin, and he can command all aquatic life, up to and including giant squids.

Man, the dude is not the sum total of what once appeared on a shitty cartoon from three decades ago, and a handful of Seanbaby articles.

gosh

I don't know man, I don't think F-16s can swim very fast.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    beavotron wrote: »
    I finished my deerguana from the creature thread and put it up on mojizu, so you should all vote for me :D:D:D
    (seriously... vote for me!)
    http://www.mojizu.com/artist/Beavotron/Deerguana.aspx
    deerguana.jpg

Hey! You're back! Very awesome Deerguana, I will vote for you..

Ehmavisca on
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    McAllen wrote: »
    Project37 wrote: »
    McAllen wrote: »
    Angel, what's your practice sessions like? how long do you usually practice? Have you answered all these questions already?

I wish you had an FAQ.

Uh, what now? Could you be a tad more specific?

I think what he means* is that you should totally give some clue as to what methods you use in your 3-D work. Potentially a tutorial.

*this is not what he meant.

Tutorials are always cool, I remember him having a hell/death knight(or something with chains) tutorial somewhere...

I dunno, I guess I just want to know how long you practice everyday. The average amount of drawings and doodles that come out of your head each day and stuff. I guess kind of the trivia stuff. More details once I get some sleep

Uh, it depends? I don't really have an everyday practice schedule or anything, unless you count the stuff I do at work- and what I do there also varies wildly from day to day and project to project, and the output depends on what I'm doing, the revisions required, what style it is in, what methods I'm using, etc, etc, etc.

My outside of work stuff, I dunno, I work somewhere between zero and 4 hours, depending on my mood? It's hard to give you any hard and fast answers, and I doubt they would have much meaning to anyone even if I could. I don't pay attention to the time, I pay attention to doing the work.

I don't know if you saw my curse word-laden speedpaint tutorial video, I don't know if that would be a helpful thing to answer your questions or not?

@P37:
    I doubt I have much to add on the topic of 3d modelling that hasn't been covered in much greater detail and depth elsewhere on the internet, or in any book or magazine about 3d modelling you can buy. Most of my models are just basic box modelling technique with a duplicated instance for symettry. It's all just extrudes, pushing around verts, using the split polygon or split edge ring tool to add detail, maybe a collapse now and then. I don't do anything fancy at all, and I don't really want to write a manual about the basic poly modelling tools in Maya in any case.

That video has opened me up a little bit more, and it was an awesome experience. I know I'm being incredibly, well, omfgigottaknoweverythingaboutit , but what were those 4 layers during the video? You started with the first one and I completely didn't notice why you added the extra 3.

McAllen on
    edited May 2007
    I usually just start new layers when I want to have a point I can back up to if I fuck up totally when I try something new, as a kind of cheap mega-undo. Or, when I do a multiply or overlay wash on stuff.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited May 2007
    I usually just start new layers when I want to have a point I can back up to if I fuck up totally when I try something new, as a kind of cheap mega-undo. Or, when I do a multiply or overlay wash on stuff.

Why not take a snap shot?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Eh?

Well, hey, look at that.

No reason other than I never clicked that button before.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    mikes.jpg

Hey, look, it's gesture drawing! (I'm totally just posting this here so I don't have to post on the bottom of the page)

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Every few months something interesting happens. I'll be browsing through some random comic book forum, just minding my own business, and someone will slam Aquaman. "Hurhurhur, he talks to fish, hurhurhur," and such. Without fail, I then sit down and gouge angrily at my sketchbook for an hour or so, muttering dark curses and gritting my teeth, trying to think of how I'd make Aquaman cool. This was tonight's result.

AquamanRedesign.jpg

The legs are sort of bugging me, but for 45 minutes of work, I'm kind of happy with it.

I like to think it's just because they're die-hard Namor fans, but it's usually 'cause they just so ign'ant.

Munch, your art is progressing, but I'd really like to see you pushing the anatomy. You can keep going with your rounded stylization, but seeing it made of more realistic forms would really push the coolness of the look. I know it's a really dumb crit to give ("work on anatomy"? How cliché), but most of your drawings seem to have consistently similar forms which gives off a "I've found something that works and I'm sticking with it vibe". Very dangerous!

---

Painful foreshortening failures, ho!

Namor.jpg

I'm sorry if I've snubbed anyone on BotPing, but I don't know how far back to go.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited May 2007
    More ref'd women:

Almost didn't post this because I did a bit of cheating on the face (not tracing, but close enough), but I figured since after I did that I almost completely changed the look of her face as well as the lighting on everything, I'd post it anyway. Screw soft lighting from multiple angles, give me horror movie lighting plz.

NSFW

refgirl3.jpg

Pencils prevent me from cheating, yay!
    refgirl4.jpg

I hope I'm learning something from this crap!

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I know, that's always the worst part. You do these studies, but all you can do is hope that something sticks.

Looking good though AOB, keep it up, you're inspiring me to do the same.

edit:

I'm so bad at likeness.

b.jpg

Ehmavisca on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bacon: yay boobies

overandover.jpg
    theperfectend.jpg

wakkawa on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Brock Samson?

Sublimus on
  • NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    5m model in ink thing

modelink.jpg

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
    edited May 2007
    Munch, your art is progressing, but I'd really like to see you pushing the anatomy. You can keep going with your rounded stylization, but seeing it made of more realistic forms would really push the coolness of the look. I know it's a really dumb crit to give ("work on anatomy"? How cliché), but most of your drawings seem to have consistently similar forms which gives off a "I've found something that works and I'm sticking with it vibe". Very dangerous!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've kind of been stagnating artistically lately, drawing a bunch of stuff without really looking to realism, or even other artists for inspiration. So my art's just kept becoming sort of inbred, as I keep repeating the same mistakes, and now they've just sort of become acceptable to my eye. I'll probably do some drawing-from-life exercises to break me out of my rut. Thanks for the crit.

Munch on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    straightarrowlives.jpg

please help me with this

r-jasper on
  • EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Waka the hair on that first one is the awesomz! Geez, how the hell do you do that?

(Only downside, perhaps, is that it kinda looks like feathers or something)

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    augh, speedpainting is more difficult than I thought...

boringcompcopy.gif

There's just a point where I don't know where the hell I'm going and everything has a bad contrast. Any sugggestions or should I just blend things from life so I understand more or what?

EDIT : For all the speed painters, how are your brush configurations? I only check other dynamics, sometimes with shape dynamics, and then sometimes none of them are check for darked lines.

EDIT x2 : cowboyduelcopy.gif

Some problems with the hat and alot of problems with the gun, but a second attempt nonetheless.

McAllen on
    edited May 2007
    There's just a point where I don't know where the hell I'm going and everything has a bad contrast.
    Well, if you're thinking "this has a bad contrast", then the direction you should be going it "how do I get this to have better contrast?"

There is no reason to get discouraged because you think you've got some problems- the only thing that matters is trying to fix them, without hestiation, without looking back, whatever the cost. If it means wiping out half the picture, if it means making the sky orange instead of blue, if i means moving that person's head position even though waaaaaaaaah I just spent half an hour trying to get it right, whatever! Just do it! If it doesn't look right? Do something else! Knock that motherfucker around until it does what you want it to do!

You don't know where you're going? Good! Then you have no excuse for not changing things as soon as a thought strikes your brain to do so. Having a picture go through a dozen different compositions, a dozen color changes, completely different designs, entirely different ideas in general, is fine! For every picture I actually show someone, there's been a dozen half-starts, dead ends, garbage, shit that didn't work, stuff that was interesting but flawed, stuff that was ok but not interesting- every success is built on the back of a million failures.

Paintover: http://bacon.iseenothing.com/otherpeoplestuff/mcallen.jpg
    Any sugggestions or should I just blend things from life so I understand more or what?
    What do you mean by "blend things from life?"
    If you mean doing studies of objects from life, yes. A million times yes.

Also, do whatever observation you can of everything around you, looking for details, how things work, how they are made, what makes the world apprear interesting to you. Observation is probably the single most important thing to any kind of visual art.
    EDIT : For all the speed painters, how are your brush configurations? I only check other dynamics, sometimes with shape dynamics, and then sometimes none of them are check for darked lines.

My most typical brush setup, you need a pen-tilt capable tablet for it to be of any use whatsoever, however.
    http://bacon.iseenothing.com/info/flats.jpg

EDIT: God, writing all that out took like 4 times as long as doing the paintover.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I use a fairly standard roundbrush for almost all of my painting, speed included. Sometimes I hit the "texture" checkbox for certain effect, but for the most part speed painting is about how you handle the tools, not the tools themselves.

I haven't posted any art in a while since my primary desktop has been out of commission for nearly 2 months now. I finally got a working refurbished graphics card from the warranty so that should change soon.

Until then here's something I did on a holdover computer that hardlocked about 10 seconds before I was going to save. Thankfully I had enough time to grab my camera and get a crappy picture of the monitor before it BSOD'd.

wretch.jpg

Scosglen on
    edited May 2007
    Heh, nice.

Still life of my desk, kind of gives you an idea of how often I use it.

Would have gone on this longer, but the light bulb in the lamp here just burnt out. What the hell are the odds?

desk1.jpg

EDIT:
    Wilford Brimley, Buddha.
    fatty.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ehmavisca wrote: »
    Yeah, I know, that's always the worst part. You do these studies, but all you can do is hope that something sticks.

Looking good though AOB, keep it up, you're inspiring me to do the same.

edit:

I'm so bad at likeness.

b.jpg

Brock Samson?!

BrockSamson.jpg

XAL on
  • EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That's one awesome hairstyle. I bet he takes no shit from any man... Maybe his stylist, though.

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Little card for my friend to go along with the stuffed animal I'll be making him.

joshyb.jpg

lyrium on
This discussion has been closed.