As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Telltale's Jurassic Park: Hold on to your butts!

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Man. Jurassic Park 2 was so good up until they left the island.

True Story: I actually thought the movie was over in JP2 when they made it through the field of raptors and escaped on the helicopter. I was all set to get up and exit the movie theater, and then stuff just kept happening. And then the movie went downhill :(

Not...really.

Gymnastics as Raptor combat. Prosecution rests.

Fortunately, saw it and III at a drive in. Seeing bad movies at a drive in? Always better.

chiasaur11 on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    People are DYING!

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know what I always wondered about Jurassic Park?

Why was it ALWAYS raining? Was it in a rain forest or does rain just make a bad situation even worse?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    You know what I always wondered about Jurassic Park?

Why was it ALWAYS raining? Was it in a rain forest or does rain just make a bad situation even worse?

505-060.jpg

The dinosaurs needed water to grow.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    finnith wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    edit: Anyone remember playing the Lost World arcade game? I beat it with a friend in High School at an arcade at our fourth of July carnival. I think we ended spending like 10 bucks by the time it was over, though. I actually just played it last month with some friends at Dave and Buster's too. I kind of suck now, though.

Oh man I have a lot of memories from the arcade game. My friends and I pretty much had all our birthdays at the local Playdium just so we could play that game over and over. The only way we actually beat it was by using the timed playcards. That thing was damn hard.

The best part of that game is the dinosaurs that bend over and shoot feces at you.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • PixiStyxPixiStyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ohmigosh. O__O WANT!

Of course, I was a big fan of the old Sega game. Playing the raptor, of course. Man, the way you could jump across the screen in that game.

Actually, I'm pretty amazed at how well the CGI bits in the first movie age. That's the true sign of love and attention to detail, I think.

Edit: Also, Vegan, that is totally the basis for a medieval monster. It was called the Bonnacon.

PixiStyx on
    RLFhalf2-1.gif -A webcomic
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The best monologue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6etg_fX1Pw

Yes, it's a reenactment (an awesome one from an awesome guy) because Youtube doesn't have the Goldblum original

Make the game full of writing like this and we'll be in business

That's actually my favorite part of the whole film, moreso than any of the scenes involving dinosaurs which is a bit odd

UnbreakableVow on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know what this has me jonsing for? Jurassic Park on motherfucking Blu-ray already. And not part of some boxed set with 2 and 3 shoveled down my throat.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The best monologue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6etg_fX1Pw

Yes, it's a reenactment (an awesome one from an awesome guy) because Youtube doesn't have the Goldblum original
    Holy fuck that was awesome! I completely lost my shit at the Sam Neill impersonation. :lol:

Also, did anyone else notice the screenshot of the Velociraptors? Shouldn't they have feathers and be smaller, or are these symptoms of the frog dna used in their creation? [/internerd] :P

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As far as I'm concerned a "velociraptor" is man-sized scaled awesomesaur, not some feathered turkey thing. Modern paleontology be damned.

(Yes, I am aware of other dromaeosaurs like deinonychus and utahraptor. No, their names are not as awesome as velociraptor.)

Zxerol on
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Adolescent Utahraptors shave off their feathers to be more presentable in job interviews; such as the casting for the Jurassic park movies. Unfortunately for them, the casting agents were racist toward anyone from Utah, so they had purchased fake I.D's to pass as Velociraptors.

Those clever girls.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Adolescent Utahraptors shave off their feathers to be more presentable in job interviews; such as the casting for the Jurassic park movies. Unfortunately for them, the casting agents were racist toward anyone from Utah, so they had purchased fake I.D's to pass as Velociraptors.

Those clever girls.

?
    These guys are even Penny Arcadians!

MechMantis on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    I already knew this was coming out

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait, am I the only one who didn't think JP2 was bad? I mean, it wasn't bad bad. It wasn't a good movie (JP1) but I didn't feel depressed watching it (JP3). As a sequel I thought it did an excellent job.

I really loved the hell out of the first Jurassic Park game for Genesis, although it was hard as hell. Without a code, I couldn't get past the river (as Grant) or the sewer (raptor). The raptor was so much fun though. I love that the plot of the raptor's game was that you were hunting for Grant, for some unexplained reason, even though you were constantly finding (and killing) other people along the way. What was wrong with them? Were they not good enough to eat?

Also, I remember ABCABCAB was a password in that game. As you may have guessed, I found that out by chance.

Rex Dart on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone remember Trespasser?

Yeah....

This let's play was by far the best thing to come out of Trespasser's failure.

I want a new version of this! Most innovative game in recent years, imo.

Despite the bugs, it's still the best game made from a movie license ever, and outside of horror games, one of the most atmospheric games ever!

But any new version that isn't fan made will probably be dumbed down with a hud and simplified/automatic aim. :(

PS. Anyone in here read the Jurassic Park books? Both the first and second book? Holy fuck what a bunch of shit they are! First time ever a movie series is miles and miles better than the books.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Trespasser was a game that was far too ambitious for its time, especially given the technology available. Occasionally, you can see glimmers of genius inside its sorry, broken husk.

The total lack of hud was something almost inspired at the time, for instance. Unfortunately, looking down onto your boobs to check your health was... less so.

Zxerol on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Apparently the AI for Trespasser was so ambitious that the dinosaurs had a gazillion little RadiantAI-esque variables they would follow. However, this being made in 1998 on a underfunded budget, the dinosaurs only stood there in a state of indecision (unless they only set the hunger and anger sliders to any given value).

Mortal Sky on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, it mostly went how you thought it would. Some dinosaurs would ignore you so long as you didn't do much. Raptors and the T-Rexes (reges?) always came for you once they saw you.

It had its moments, though. I remember once that I emptied my last two rounds into a raptor and didn't stop it, but it also learned from the experience that when I pointed my gun at it, unpleasant things happened. I went the greater part of a level with that raptor tailing me and every once in a while getting too close for comfort, where I would then just point my empty gun at it and it would turn away and run off for a bit.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Lost World did at least have the late, great Pete Postlethwaite hamming up. He was so great in that film.

Anyway, this looks awesome. I'm a big fan of Telltale, but I'm glad to see them actually trying something different this time, both stylistically and in terms of gameplay. Remains to be seen how the Heavy Rain scheme will play out, but I have high hopes.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Trespasser was a game that was far too ambitious for its time, especially given the technology available.
    Not just that, the original engine was built right at the end of the software acceleration era, with stuff like bumpmapping and other effects being done entirely on the CPU. Then the 3d accelerators rolled around part of the way through its development and they had to jury rig the engine to run on that instead.

There's lots of spots of brilliance in the game, like trees turning into impostors at a distance, skeletal animation done on a bone level, interaction between your items and the world, etc. Just a shame a lot of them were half-baked or broken. But yeah, watching that LP of the game is probably the best way to experience the game since you're seeing the game as it was intended to play, rather than having to suffer the more-or-less mess it was.

Glal on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, it mostly went how you thought it would. Some dinosaurs would ignore you so long as you didn't do much. Raptors and the T-Rexes (reges?) always came for you once they saw you.

It had its moments, though. I remember once that I emptied my last two rounds into a raptor and didn't stop it, but it also learned from the experience that when I pointed my gun at it, unpleasant things happened. I went the greater part of a level with that raptor tailing me and every once in a while getting too close for comfort, where I would then just point my empty gun at it and it would turn away and run off for a bit.

This seriously makes me want to play that game.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It depends a lot on how willing you are to overlook a game's flaws to appreciate what it's trying to do. The atmosphere is pretty fantastic if you get into it but the gunplay and stuff like the occasional precision jumps and physics puzzles can become frustrating.

Glal on
    edited January 2011
    Alternatively, Research Indicates' LP of Tresspasser might be the best LP I've ever seen.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Alternatively, Research Indicates' LP of Tresspasser might be the best LP I've ever seen.
    Quoted for the truth. When you read and watch a Research Indicates LP you don't get a guy playing a game. You get a goddamn documentary and a fantastic narrator.

Silpheed on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    eobet wrote: »
    PS. Anyone in here read the Jurassic Park books? Both the first and second book? Holy fuck what a bunch of shit they are! First time ever a movie series is miles and miles better than the books.

Clearly you never read Jaws. The movie was 9,000x better. Also directed by Spielberg. Coincidence? Hell no!

Edit- Well, Jaws the Revenge the book was 50,000x better than the movie.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Quoted for the truth. When you read and watch a Research Indicates LP you don't get a guy playing a game. You get a goddamn documentary and a fantastic narrator.

Yeah that guy is pretty ridiculous. Probably one of the best LPer I've ever heard. Where can I find his other stuff?

Switching gears, it's pretty easy to look at Trepasser's gameplay and claim it was terrible, but in retrospect, compared to the FPS of the day, which were bland and do not hold up well at all, as everyone was figuring out how to make an intense game with polygons, it wasn't as bad as it may seem.

That game could have been incredible with another six months of development.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Wait, am I the only one who didn't think JP2 was bad? I mean, it wasn't bad bad. It wasn't a good movie (JP1) but I didn't feel depressed watching it (JP3). As a sequel I thought it did an excellent job.
    I liked it. Not as much as the first one, though. But I think 3 is pretty much hated by everyone. The plot was just stupid.

I actually saw the first Jurassic Park in the 5 dollar bin the other day at Wal Mart. I should go back and get it.

anoffday on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Idea:

They should make this game a prequel to JP1 and enlist the talents of the illustrious Wayne Knight in his role as Dennis Nedry. It would be the best.

Lucascraft on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The entire game is a stealth 'em up ala Metal Gear Solid, but you play as Dodgson, so you can't actually be detected.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to be disappointed if we can't drive the jeep.

A T Rex chasing me while driving the jeep better happen at some point too.

anoffday on
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MUST GO FASTER MUST GO FASTER MUST GO FASTER.

Damn, sometimes I hate Jeff Goldblum

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
    edited January 2011
    Demerdar wrote: »

FACT: It is impossible to hate Jeff Goldblum.

Lucascraft on
    edited January 2011
    The raptors in Jurassic park were really modeled on the deinonychus anyway, as actual veloceraptors were much smaller. I think like 3 ft from nose to tail tip?

PixiStyx on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    From what I can remember, originally Deinonychus and Velociraptor were both classified under the genus Velociraptor, and thats why the Velociraptors in the novel are modeled after Deinonychus. The book also mentions that Hammond wanted them to toy with the animals' DNA to make them more entertaining, ending with an island filled with theme park monsters that look like Dinosaurs more than anything else. The movie didn't mention any of that but nevertheless made basically a giant monster version of a Deinonychus for the Velociraptor design (Deinonychus, although larger than Velociraptor, was still only wolf-ish in size).

Interestingly, I think soon after the movie came out, Utahraptor was discovered, which almost legitimizes the size of the 'raptors in the movie.

BloodySloth on
  • zombiefriendzombiefriend Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Idea:

They should make this game a prequel to JP1 and enlist the talents of the illustrious Wayne Knight in his role as Dennis Nedry. It would be the best.

I'm fairly certain the fact that the game takes place after JP1 is way more interesting.

Also,
    Demerdar wrote: »

FACT: It is impossible to hate Jeff Goldblum.

I second this fact.

zombiefriend on
    mmmmm
    edited January 2011
    But if it takes place after JP1 that means no Wayne Knight...

Lucascraft on
    edited January 2011
    From what I can remember, originally Deinonychus and Velociraptor were both classified under the genus Velociraptor, and thats why the Velociraptors in the novel are modeled after Deinonychus. The book also mentions that Hammond wanted them to toy with the animals' DNA to make them more entertaining, ending with an island filled with theme park monsters that look like Dinosaurs more than anything else. The movie didn't mention any of that but nevertheless made basically a giant monster version of a Deinonychus for the Velociraptor design (Deinonychus, although larger than Velociraptor, was still only wolf-ish in size).

Interestingly, I think soon after the movie came out, Utahraptor was discovered, which almost legitimizes the size of the 'raptors in the movie.

Could be! Honestly, it doesn't matter to me whether or not the movie is completely accurate...it's still a damn fine film regardless. And given the dinosaur movies that came previously it was heads and tails better researched. Largely because most of the dinosaur movies that came before were things like Caveman! :wink:

PixiStyx on
    edited January 2011
    As a kid I actually owned an official Jurassic Park Deinonychus toy that was, I believe, released before the movie even came out (at least in Europe). It was basically a striped velociraptor IIRC.

They must have been aware of the difference.

Cherrn on
    edited January 2011
    I still have a bunch of my toys from the movie. They're just too cool to let go of. And, being a sculptor, I appreciate a well made figurine.

PixiStyx on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm sure they were aware, and it doesn't really matter for the movie because it's still awesome. Unlike the sequels. Which are bad.

Actually, I thought the aviary scene in JP3 was fantastic, but it pains me because I have to sit through the rest of the damn movie to watch it.

BloodySloth on