As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TV Shows that died too early.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I rather liked record of lodoss war, at least the original 13 episode ova. The longer series was much less interesting. Also the dubs are terrible either way.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2011
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    I rather liked record of lodoss war, at least the original 13 episode ova. The longer series was much less interesting. Also the dubs are terrible either way.

I liked the original as well, and hated the tv series.

But I was specifically referring to the fact that if the whole show saw the same love in animation as the intro did, it would be one of the more amazing things ever...

but animation like that costs $texas when doing longform work.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The original 13 episode OVA of Lodoss War was the first anime I ever watched, and was entirely by accident while flipping through channels as a young teen. I was hooked immediately.

Suffice to say I was extremely bummed when the series shifted to Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. Oh well, at least it opened me to something new. And the intro to the show was almost worth it, fucking godly. I can't imagine we'd ever get a show animated in such a fashion as a standard. Even the music is hauntingly beautiful.

Ranadiel on
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    God, that Lodoss War opening song is beautiful.

I like the new Avengers cartoon, but the opening song is downright embarrassing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXi61pVSmKw

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Was that Brainiac's skull ship at the end there?

Delta Assault on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Probably just Ultron douching around.

Has he done anything good since 'The Last Avenger's Story?' however many years ago that was?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh God I loved Sliders. I didn't watch it after it went over to SyFy. I guess I lucked out there by not getting SyFy as part of my cable package back then.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jclast wrote: »
    Oh God I loved Sliders. I didn't watch it after it went over to SyFy. I guess I lucked out there by not getting SyFy as part of my cable package back then.

Yep. Sliders went to crap right when they introduced the Cromags. Kari Wuhrer was nice though.

Krathoon on
  • PixiStyxPixiStyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone else watch Krod Mandoon when it was on? It was a flawed show, to be sure, but it got a few laughs out of me. I think given time it could have become more polished and fleshed out.

PixiStyx on
    RLFhalf2-1.gif -A webcomic
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PixiStyx wrote: »
    Anyone else watch Krod Mandoon when it was on? It was a flawed show, to be sure, but it got a few laughs out of me. I think given time it could have become more polished and fleshed out.

I loved that show. It was a pitch-perfect parody of the Xena/Hercules style adventure series.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    worst intro to show quality disconnect ever was COPS. EVER

DanHibiki on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it, then I think I gave up when it went on break and I immediately knew it would be canceled. I own the DVDs, though.

The BBC version is my favorite television show, and as much as I would have liked a third run with John Simms, I think it ended brilliantly.

The ABC version started somewhat strong (for the most part), but I just felt it meandered too much in spots and didn't have the same impact with how it built up/paid off the mystery. I realize the way the ABC version ended could still be left for interpretation, and taking the ending as non-literal would be the only thing saving it. But the ABC creators said that was what they had planned all along and if the ending is to truly be taken literally, it's a bit of a cheat and a cop-out for not just the audience but for the characters and investment in the story. :?

The one thing I do feel the ABC series nailed better was the initial waking-up-in-1973 scene where Sam spins around and see's all of NYC and the Twin Towers still standing. That had a much stronger impact than just seeing dirty, undeveloped Manchester.

I'll also throw in for Sliders. Fucking loved that show when it was on, but the moment they introduced Kari Wurher I could already see the beginning of the end. I realize it ran a couple of seasons already and perhaps it did need a central narrative to thread it, but what they ended up with was an uninspired Space-Nazis plot.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited January 2011
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Fuck man I remember watching that show too. The outtro was good too.

Here's another show I fucking loved, got little fanfare, and went out before it's time. Intro was awesome too. And to top it off they ended the show on a major fucking cliffhanger. I never got the 3-D Glasses to see if they actually worked, but even so the entire show was awesome.

IT'S LASER TIME!!!

And yes at one time I had the song memorized, even though I couldn't understand all the lyrics.

Ranadiel on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The worst part about some 80s shows is seeing how goddamn amazing the intros are - even today - then watching an actual episode, and finding out they're all about cursed discos, being transformed into babies and travelling back in time to Camelot or some such nonsense.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I, for one, want to know more about this Cursed Disco.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Behemoth wrote: »
    PixiStyx wrote: »

I loved that show. It was a pitch-perfect parody of the Xena/Hercules style adventure series.

The villian made that show

Joolander on
  • PixiStyxPixiStyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    He really did. =D

PixiStyx on
    RLFhalf2-1.gif -A webcomic
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, the Bots Master had a super catchy theme song.

I found the most interesting aspect of that show was how they kept trying to pair our hero Ziv Zulander with Lady Frenzy, one of the main villains of the universe.

Delta Assault on
    edited January 2011
    I always felt that she was going to turn good, and the final episodes up to the last one seemed to lean towards that happening. Also, the Corp finally managed to figure out a method for creating thinking robots of their own, which was the major cliffhanger the series ended on.

Fuckers!

Ranadiel on
    edited January 2011
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    I always felt that she was going to turn good, and the final episodes up to the last one seemed to lean towards that happening. Also, the Corp finally managed to figure out a method for creating thinking robots of their own, which was the major cliffhanger the series ended on.

Fuckers!

Oh really? Man, it's been foreveeeeeeer since I've watched that gem. Yeah, that cliffhanger sounds awesome. For me, all the episodes just kinda blend together, and the ending of em all being something about forming up Jungle Fiver and destroying the enemy Corp megabot.

Delta Assault on
    edited January 2011
    Completely unrelated, but that comic in PixiStyx's sig... done by the same guy who does Oglaf, perhaps?

Edit: Guess not! Art style is a little similar, though.

Ranadiel on
    edited January 2011
    Ya know, this just popped into my head, because it's been a few years since I've watched it, but... does anybody else think Kim Possible could've used a few more seasons? More Kim Possible's always a good thing in my book.

Delta Assault on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ya know, this just popped into my head, because it's been a few years since I've watched it, but... does anybody else think Kim Possible could've used a few more seasons? More Kim Possible's always a good thing in my book.

Didn't disney break their long standing rule about the number of seasons they gave shows to give it it's last season?

Also, that reminds me. The Famous Jet Jackson

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

Didn't disney break their long standing rule about the number of seasons they gave shows to give it it's last season?

Yeah, yeah they did. That was always a weird rule to me. Was it something to do with syndication?

Delta Assault on
    edited January 2011
    Fuck's sake that Bots Master theme song is super catchy.

Ranadiel on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

Yeah, yeah they did. That was always a weird rule to me. Was it something to do with syndication?

Yep. They try to get their series to have just enough eps for a syndication buy.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited January 2011
    I think it's 100 full half hour episodes, or at least that's what the Aqua Teen episode taught me!

Oh, fun fact about Bots Master - it was French.

Ranadiel on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I, for one, want to know more about this Cursed Disco.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Auto-Bop

Antimatter on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh, oh, does anyone remember Roughnecks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5eAafpheKU

I recall it being pretty fantastic for a mid-90s CGI show. I believe it ended on a stupid cliffhanger because the network kept shuffling it around to different time slots and it was also expensive.

Youtube seems to have full episodes up if you search for Roughnecks STC

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Firefly is definitely on my list.

mrt144 on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Somebody mentioned Roughnexks, and that show definitely is awesome. I have (most of) the DVDs and still randomly pop them in. The CG stands up still, too, in my opinion.

And now I am going to be that one weirdo and claim that the ended Enterprise early. I was all sorts of jazzed to see the beginnings of the Federation, and Enterprise had some really good episodes. Some bad ones, too, for sure, but as soon as it seemed like they really hit their stride it was canceled. I really liked Bakula as Archer, and the ship design was great.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2011
    Roughnecks was weird in that it tried to mix elements of both the novel and the movie, giving this very schizophrenic feel. Still, fairly enjoyable animated series. The roughnecks cast does grow on you. I think it's only when you compare it to a similar scifi war cartoon like Exosquad that it starts to feel a bit hollow and dull.

Oh, and apparently the television censors forced them to have all the guns make wimpy pew pew laser noises instead of actual assault rifle noises, and it's super disconcerting at first. It gets really hard to take seriously, having the gunfire sound that terrible. But after a few episodes you just kinda get used to it. *shrug*

Delta Assault on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »
    The worst part about some 80s shows is seeing how goddamn amazing the intros are - even today - then watching an actual episode, and finding out they're all about cursed discos, being transformed into babies and travelling back in time to Camelot or some such nonsense.

While we're on that subject...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjhbOH8m2U

Easily qualifies, since they didn't find all of their items, just like Pirates of Darkwater.

I just order a few choice shows that died early deaths from Amazon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVtVZWzhG_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3RsJBhhswI

And the last one ordered, one of my favorites, and apparently nobody watched this one but me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StG2a1vjC4w

Also, someone was talking about Hercules and Xena? Here's the closest thing I've seen in a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlvC31ZnW0A

Ted Raimi even shows up! Twice!!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Of course, if that show had gone on another few seasons we would have gotten the hero awesomely slaughtering peace protesters for not possessing enough moral clarity.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And it would have been the one awesome thing about that horrid wreck of a show! Legend of the Seeker does not belong in this thread in any way, shape, or form! Egads!

Xeddicus on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I doubt it. They didn't even pretend they'd read anything but the jacket covers for the books when making that show.

shryke on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's been a while since I read the books, but I noticed plenty of things from them.

I enjoyed the show more for the campy Hercules stuff, like I said. We had evil clones, doubles, people splitting into shards of their personalities, being transformed into animals, old men dressing up as old women and being hit on, people randomly losing powers and have to find their true selves to regain them...basically every silly plot and monster of the week you could think of.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alright, I'll be that guy. The O.C.

Yes, I know it got four seasons, but it was really starting to hit it's stride again in the 4th.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DanHibiki wrote: »

HOLY CRAP! The actual show is SO BAD.

mrt144 on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Reznik wrote: »
    Oh, oh, does anyone remember Roughnecks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5eAafpheKU

I recall it being pretty fantastic for a mid-90s CGI show. I believe it ended on a stupid cliffhanger because the network kept shuffling it around to different time slots and it was also expensive.

Youtube seems to have full episodes up if you search for Roughnecks STC

Oh, shit! Yeah, that was pretty awesome - and (more) faithful to the book than the movie. Which isn't saying a lot, granted.

Tamin on