As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FRINGE] Reality be fragmenting at the seams

Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
So search is gone and I can't find the thread, but a new timeslot calls for a new thread anyway, and a new beginning. Let me make this perfectly clear for people who have heard anything else:

Fringe is the best thing on television, it is a show so completely worth your time, go find a way to start seasons one and two before this Friday, because OH GOD this is the best show ever.

If all else fails the first half of season three is on Hulu right now (partly). But don't start there, part of the charm and beauty of Fringe is how it morphs from what seems like a pedantic show to the Mona Lisa of sci-fi shows, and it does it in two seasons. So this Friday at 9pm on FOX, tune into Fringe. Because all it needs is 75% of it's Thursday ratings and its permanently on Fridays.

JJ Abram's Take

To conclude, the show is beautiful, thought-provoking, and at time can be a little campy. However its worst episode is better than 90% of anything else, and its great episodes shine brilliantly (White Tulip, if nothing else watch White Tulip, also Peter).

Lady Eri on

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fringe is probably my favorite non-comedy show ever.

Not sure that I'd call it thought-provoking though.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fringe is probably my favorite non-comedy show ever.

Not sure that I'd call it thought-provoking though.

Really?

White Tulip wasn't thought-provoking?

The first season finale wasn't though-provoking?

The mystery of season two until the episode Peter wasn't thought-provoking?

The freaking opener and it's myriad of changes that signal whats going on in an episode isn't thought-provoking?

Everything about the small details of the other episodes in season three aren't thought-provoking? The billboards, the maps, the small details on ads, TVs, technology.

Lady Eri on
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c38v-L5z0KM

BLAM BLAM BLAM in the distance, Joshua Jackson: "It's Chinatown, I'm not nervous, whatever!"

Lady Eri on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Still annoyed Fox set this up opposite Supernatural

How long does it take episodes to come up on Hulu? Because I may have to turn to that to check it out, given that CW's player sucks hard and doesn't update for like a week after an episode airs.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Ethereal IllusionEthereal Illusion Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lanz wrote: »
    Still annoyed Fox set this up opposite Supernatural

How long does it take episodes to come up on Hulu? Because I may have to turn to that to check it out, given that CW's player sucks hard and doesn't update for like a week after an episode airs.

The next day. I usually check around noon EST and it'll be there, so maybe earlier.

Ethereal Illusion on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why not put the word Fringe in the title? It might help?

It remains good fun for the most part, the last few episodes avoided the usual lows that we've come to expect from Pacey's Amazing Coat Adventures.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Captain Tragedy on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

It remains good fun for the most part, the last few episodes avoided the usual lows that we've come to expect from Pacey's Amazing Coat Adventures.

Hey, don't you fuck with Pacey.

mcdermott on
  • nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I do like Fringe, but sometimes I think that's only because I have been programmed since childhood by shows like the X-Files. That's right: it's a conspiracy of conspiracy-theory shows. And I bet you thought it was Fox News manipulating us.

nescientist on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I remember some thoughts being provoked. I remember transferring memories using "memory b cells".

Specifically, the thoughts that were provoked were, "those are white blood cells and they don't work that way" and "are you people babies being payed in crayons and pudding to write plot."

TheOtherHorseman on
  • dead soulsdead souls Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Best thing on television?

It's a decent show but that is ridiculous hyperbole.

dead souls on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    dead souls wrote: »
    Best thing on television?

It's a decent show but that is ridiculous hyperbole.

I like the show, but would probably not care if John Noble wasn't in it.

He, alone, might be one of the best things currently on television.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited January 2011
    Certainly the best of it's genre on television.

Lady Eri on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hrm, good to know. Got gifted the first season for Christmas but I've yet to chew through it. Only seen one random episode so far, but I enjoyed what I saw.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    At its best, this show does provoke some thoughts. Though the development of this season's arc has unprovoked some of the better thoughts from last season.

Also, I had to trudge through the first half of season one. It certainly didn't start out as the best show on television. And a lot of the show's "science" is bad enough to make me wince.

That said, the show is my favorite of those currently on television, and the attention to detail and overall production values are top-notch. This is Abrams's finest work by far.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    Certainly the best of it's genre on television.

ITT: Lady Eri damns Fringe with the faintest of praise.

Apothe0sis on
    edited January 2011
    To clarify, I enjoy the show. It doesn't pick up until there starts to be a clear overarching plot to join together Zany Happenstance of the Week.

When the scientific jargon goes wrong (and it does, often), it goes really wrong.

Did a telepathic snot vampire just shapeshift into a rocket and blast off to the moon?

It turns out that Walter happened to see the right color jellybean to remind him that he and Belly did some experiments for the government (at some point in the period they worked for the government, in between the 20,000 other time-intensive, long-term, world-changing experiments they did) which harnessed graviton dilithium inversion engines that could focus the latent ghostbusting power of the hippocampus to channel Aztec panther spirits to empower moonrocketing!

TheOtherHorseman on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    To clarify, I enjoy the show. It doesn't pick up until there starts to be a clear overarching plot to join together Zany Happenstance of the Week.

When the scientific jargon goes wrong (and it does, often), it goes really wrong.

Did a telepathic snot vampire just shapeshift into a rocket and blast off to the moon?

It turns out that Walter happened to see the right color jellybean to remind him that he and Belly did some experiments for the government (at some point in the period they worked for the government, in between the 20,000 other time-intensive, long-term, world-changing experiments they did) which harnessed graviton dilithium inversion engines that could focus the latent ghostbusting power of the hippocampus to channel Aztec panther spirits to empower moonrocketing!

At the same time, they're presenting he and "Belly" as two of, if not the top two, scientists. In the world. Plus it's sci-fi don't be such a dick!

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Hey, don't you fuck with Pacey.

I'm not doing that at all. It's just that during series 1 and 2, often all your could take from an episode was that Pacey wore a fabulous coat. They really need to get sponsored by whoever makes the things so they can slot in a little segment after each episode,
    "In tonight's Fringe, Pacey was dressed by Zara, featuring an Old Airman Peacoat and Fancy Jack's Loafers."

Mojo_Jojo on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Didn't they used to do that for shows on the WB back when the channel first started?

iguanacus on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like Fringe. I haven't been following Season 3 yet, but it certainly picked up in Season 2 after being almost literally the worst thing in Season 1. I mean some of that shit was awful.

It did get better, though. I hope that trend continued.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2011
    I watched the first few episodes of this when they originally aired, and lost interest. Very monster-of-the-week, and the 'science' was laughably absurd. Like making Star Trek look like hard sci-fi levels of absurd. A few months ago I got season one from netflix when my queue ran dry, and was pretty impressed by how much the show improved just within the first season. The second season was also good. Kind of a X-Files: Just the Good Episodes Edition. And while the science is still goofy, they seem to spend less time trying to explain it, which makes it easier to take. They just trot out the premise briefly, hand-wave a little, and then get to the implications.

The characters have also been given more depth than it appeared they would have when the show started. One particular scene I'm thinking of, in season 1 (I think), had Walter the Wacky but Benevolent, Absent-Minded Professor being hounded for some zany thing he did, when all of a sudden he slams his hands down on the table and shouts, " Stop treating me like a child!" It made me sit up and reevaluate the character, and then as the show goes on you realize that he's a serious dude who has done some, in the words of Roy Batty, 'questionable things', and that's aside from the season 2 hook thing.

Also, angry Walter best Walter.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still hold to the opinion that anyone complaining about the "science," and factoring that into whether or not it's good or not, in a show called "Fringe" about "fringe science" is possibly missing the point by lightyears.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2011
    Suspension of disbelief has its limits, surely you agree?

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
    edited January 2011
    I still hold to the opinion that anyone complaining about the "science," and factoring that into whether or not it's good or not, in a show called "Fringe" about "fringe science" is possibly missing the point by lightyears.

It's more that they use science terms in all the wrong way. Or they did. They have got much better. The early series has some real cringe inducing moments.

Nobody expects actual science, but when they say "We'll just use fluid mechanics!" and then they plug an Amiga into a fish to see its last moments projected onto an oscilloscope trace, then it's just awful.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, that's the concern and it would extend to any show.

Weird gray areas of human knowledge we don't get? Sure, dive right in.

Star Trek-esque jargon that might make some sort of internally consistent sense? Gangbusters, I'm all for it.

Things that I know for a fact are wrong because that is the exact opposite of how they work?

nnng

I don't mean to keep this thread on a "bad science, punch writers" sort of note. It's really just the only problem I have with the show, so it sort of stands out amid my opinions.

TheOtherHorseman on
    edited January 2011
    But we all agree it's not really about that anymore and it's gotten much better. WATCH IT.

Lady Eri on
    edited January 2011
    But we all agree it's not really about that anymore and it's gotten much better. WATCH IT.

Yeah, Fringe just joins a long line of shows where the first half-season or so is somewhat godawful, but then it catches its stride and becomes fantastic. And, as with most of those, enough stuff important to the overall setting happens that you have to plow through that godawful start to fully enjoy the rest.

mcdermott on
  • WhoaFooglesWhoaFoogles Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My brother recently got me hooked on this show. I'm about halfway through the second season right now and trying to finish it off so I can start staying up to date with the show on Hulu.

Before actually sitting down to watch it, I checked out Fox's official page on it out of curiosity and had just about every major plot point spoiled for me in the show synopsis. Despite that, it's still been really fun to watch, aside from the aforementioned occasionally cringeworthy science.

WhoaFoogles on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone know if the first couple seasons are on Instant Watch?

Salvation122 on
    edited January 2011
    Anyone know if the first couple seasons are on Instant Watch?

They aren't.

mcdermott on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You should probably update the thread title to indicate that it has anything to do with Fringe, for those of us who don't know anything about it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Angry Walter's diatribe on "strawberry-flavored death" alone would have earned my allegience if John Noble didn't already have it.

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    edited January 2011
    You should probably update the thread title to indicate that it has anything to do with Fringe, for those of us who don't know anything about it.

How would that help attract people who already dismiss Fringe out of hand, though? Everyone knows Abrams, and everyone will click it. Changing the title doesn't help bring more people to the thread. If you don't know anything about it, having Fringe in the title does what precisely?

Lady Eri on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    so is this show back on yet?

Barcardi on
    edited January 2011

How would that help attract people who already dismiss Fringe out of hand, though? Everyone knows Abrams, and everyone will click it. Changing the title doesn't help bring more people to the thread. If you don't know anything about it, having Fringe in the title does what precisely?

It tells you that this is the Fringe thread where we talk about Fringe.

Maybe change the quote, as most people dismiss JJ Abrams on account of "Hurf durf Lost was made up as it went along", maybe something like "Now with 25% fewer awful episodes per series!"?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Barcardi wrote: »
    so is this show back on yet?

Friday.

With Christopher Lloyd.

So now we've had Nemoy and Lloyd. What other crazy mad scientists can they possibly add?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Brian Cox. Everything is improved by Brian Cox.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011

Can I still complain about all the times that doodad from three episodes ago could have solved this episode within five minutes, but is now conveniently forgotten as if it never existed?

But yeah, I should watch more Fringe.

Echo on
    edited January 2011
    Echo wrote: »

Can I still complain about all the times that doodad from three episodes ago could have solved this episode within five minutes, but is now conveniently forgotten as if it never existed?

But yeah, I should watch more Fringe.

I concur!

Lady Eri on