As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Mass Effect 2 - Set 32 (7th Nov) Suicide Mission

• valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would comment on the recent parts, but I've only started watching this a few days ago, so I still haven't caught up yet (I'm watching set 7 at the moment). It's very enjoyable, even though I generally don't like RPGs.

valgomir on
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, set 13 was the best, especially towards the end after you blew up the satellite dish :lol:
    I guess for the rest of the LP I'll be following this.

valgomir on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got another set recorded, YouTube is being silly about uploading it at the moment.

Glad you're enjoying it Valgomir.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    beth you know i like you as a forumer and a LP'er (mirror's edge lp was good) so this is my most heartbreaking attempt at criticism
    but i gotta say that i'm watching set 9, and you're sighing about the combat in the mission, yet all you are doing is using the SMG to snipe from long range, and using warp sometimes- to strip armour so you can go back to shooting. it's like watching you play gears of war except only using one gun, and it's not the shotgun.

YOU ARE AN ADEPT, USING GUNS REPRESENTS A FAILURE ON YOUR PART

stop using the SMG! get in their faces and do more damage that way. switch to the pistol to strip armour, and then throw them back into an explosive barrel or off a ledge! use squadmate powers more- garrus's overload will detonate undefended pyros instantly. pull unarmoured characters around into groups and detonate them with warp! use shockwave for shits and giggles! use singularity for once! make the combat interesting please, because watching 3 more sets of you using the SMG from a safe distance and micromanaging your companion's positions is gonna kill me.

i might have suggested going soldier if you hate using powers, but only if you promised to switch from using the assault rifle from time to time.

it's such a shame to see you use the adept in such a vanilla way, and i'm sighing as much as you do when i see combat on the horizon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOLiQgOlZh4&feature=related

Nuzak on
    edited December 2010
    I agree on all counts Nuzak. The problem is that, at low levels, Adept powers suck quads against Armour and Shields, and that's pretty much all we're seeing right now. Even when I'm throwing singularities for warp detonation (and I am doing so where possible), the results are lacklustre. I'll try and do it more just to spice up the combat, but until we start facing nice barrier-based enemies (like in the clip), Adept wins the "oh bother" award for silly gameplay.

Alternatively, I could enable powers affecting enemies through shields, and then go balls to the wall. Hell, I could do that just to demonstrate how much more interesting it makes combat.

Also, YouTube needs to start accepting part 2 of this set. :x

Bethryn on
    edited December 2010
    Set is up. Not sure if I'll render in these lengths again because of how much YouTube hated uploading 35 minute videos. Any suggestions on set length would be useful if they rub you one way or another.

Bethryn on
    edited December 2010
    So, your LP has finally convinced me to actually buy and PLAY Mass Effect (the original one; ME2 might be due afterwards). I LOVE IT.
    My Barack Shepard is black, looks like he's always trying to scowl as hard as possible, and is trying to tap that Asarian friend of his. And nothing can stop him, his female alien squad and their shotguns of doom.

And I thought I'd note that the thread title isn't fully updated; it doesn't have the set's name in it :P
    Speaking of the last set, I don't really care if the vids are 10 or 30 minutes each; if the parts are short I just buffer three at a time, if they're long I don't have to bother, but run into more trouble when my internet connection acts up.

valgomir on
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the heads up on the thread title.

It's possible the next set is going to be my (!) Barack Shepard doing LotSB. Obviously, if anyone really objects to that, they should say so now. It's just, I've heard LotSB combat is horrific as an Adept from a few people now, and after the rather frustrating end-fight (SHIELDS! SHIELDS! SHIELDS! You're the one class who doesn't have a super-effective way of dealling with these enemies, Adept!) of Overlord, I'm rather skeptical of doing it, especially blind.

Bethryn on
    edited December 2010
    Can't you just choose two companions that can properly deal with those problems? Divide the work a bit, e.g. your friends take down the enemy's shields while you deal with the smaller annoying enemies, then once the big guy's shields are down you take over.

I've finished ME1 now, and I was surprised that it ended so quickly... I mean, there were only like 6 story missions. Despite the resulting lack of opportunities to do side missions (I dislike doing all the side missions at once) I still managed to get to level 41.
    And now I'll go and buy ME2 :D

valgomir on
    edited December 2010
    There are two things about that. Aside from companion powers being pretty weak in comparison to Shep's, there's what happened in Overlord (and to an extent, Kasumi); if the game arbitrarily says I lose one or even two companions in a section, and then throws enemies with shields at me, in a time-limited environment, the result is not going to be fun to play. Maybe to watch as I start swearing at the game design. ;p

Bethryn on
    edited December 2010
    Who doesn't love LPs where the host starts swearing at the game? :P
    I'd say, do it. And if it gets too hard because of bullshit game design, go and buy a punching bag to vent your anger. We wouldn't want you to break your keyboard over your knees or something...

I was really surprised by how fond I'd grown of my recruited crew members (except for Ashley; I was so happy when I could finally let her die). I didn't expect the game to enable me to put myself into Shep's shoes so easily.

valgomir on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd say to wait until you've progressed a little further.
    At some point you'll have the chance to get some Assault Rifle training, and that'll make shields a lot easier to deal with.
    On that subject, getting a team member with Squad Disruptor Ammo is probably worth it.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    On that subject, getting a team member with Squad Disruptor Ammo is probably worth it.

Won't help him when he's complaining about sections where he doesn't have his team mates

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited December 2010
    Not many of those left, the worst you get into is only getting to choose one of your team.

klemming on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Having gone through LotSB as an Adept...that was the fastest clear of one of the mook-boss sections I've ever had. The final boss is a bit of a pain with only SMGs, but it's quite doable if you don't "stick" to cover, and instead do the ME1 foursquare with him.

Adept kicks all kinds of ass. Especially if you have Miranda at your side for triple warp action.

Orca on
    edited January 2011
    Hate me all you want, but I still think Tali is the only decent romance option for male Shep in ME2. THERE, I SAID IT. Miranda is a bitch and I wish I could've slapped her like that news reporter at the citadel, Jack is completely crazy and doesn't have hair, and Samara is oooold.

And about the whole "as an adept you have no way to deal with shielded enemies properly" thing: Yes, you do. That's what SMGs are for. Strip the shields in a few bursts, then switch to the Hand Cannon or level up your Slam or Warp; that should do nicely.

valgomir on
    edited January 2011
    Adept is all about the Singularity spam, while allies strip defenses or detonate it.

The rooftop battle looked like this for me: fire Kasumi's wide overload at a truck simultaneously with my slow-moving Singularity just before the truck touches down. Start spraying randomly with SMG fire until the side of the truck drops. As soon as the Singularity hits an undefended target, use Liara's Warp on the bastard, watch the bodies hit the floor.

Holler "NEXT!" and look for the newest incoming truck.

Defenses? Meh. They only last long enough to be annoying when it's heavily defended folks that aren't nearby more lightly defended ones that you can warp-detonate.

Orca on
    edited January 2011
    valgomir wrote: »
    And about the whole "as an adept you have no way to deal with shielded enemies properly" thing: Yes, you do. That's what SMGs are for. Strip the shields in a few bursts, then switch to the Hand Cannon or level up your Slam or Warp; that should do nicely.
    Oh yeah, I mean, SMGs and (soon) Assault Rifles will deal with shielded enemies nicely. The problem is when you're in a race against time, at which points SMGs in particular start to fall behind.

Next set (Samara recruitment) recorded, should be up sometime either this evening or tomorrow morning, depending on YouTube.

Bethryn on
    edited January 2011
    Set is now uploaded.

Bethryn on
    edited January 2011
    Seth Green did such a great job in this game, it's true :D
    Also, if you want Kelly to say something about the most recent squadmate if you haven't talked to her after the one before that, you'll have to travel to another system and then try again. Not sure if merely accessing the galaxy map works as well, but it might.

I wish there was a heavy metal mod for ME2, where you could dress Shep in leather and give him/her long hair, and they'd play heavy metal music during combats...

valgomir on
    edited January 2011
    New set is up, collector vessel.

Next up with be the Derelict Reaper, any suggestions/requests, do say.

Bethryn on
    edited January 2011
    Derelict Reaper set is now up:

Next up is probably LotSB unless anyone has any requests otherwise. Any feedback on the change of difficulty is welcome, although unless it really gets under people's skin, I'm going to keep it that way to prevent superhuge set length, since we've now faced pretty much every conceivable 'challenge' in combat that the game will throw at us.

Bethryn on
    edited January 2011
    I support the change in difficulty settings. It is a lot more fun to watch a game of huskball instead of a half hour of shooting gallery gameplay.
    Are you going to recruit the rest of the team at all / do any loyalty missions?
    I've found Thane to be one of the more useful companions in the last level, particularly in combination with Samara. Then again, Legion-- I mean, Unique Salvage -- does have the Widow, so that does make up for his inability to use warp. Plus, who doesn't like harassing Collectors with combat drones? :D

valgomir on
    edited January 2011
    I'll definitely get the rest of the team.

Loyalty missions are probably going to get done, unless we want to make this a suicide run. :3

Bethryn on
    edited January 2011
    On Samaras loyalty mission:
    Will you be ditching her for Morinth?
    I always found Domination to be a handy power to bring along (I usually pick it as my bonus power), as turning a heavy weapons guy at the back of a group is a great distraction, especially if you toss some combat drones in there, too.
    Reave is probably more practical on Hardcore, though.

klemming on
    edited January 2011
    Re: the above
    Unless it's requested otherwise, Morinth will be my sexy Asari companion.

Bethryn on
    edited January 2011
    Good, good.
    Well, since you're playing as BitchShep, ignoring your squadmates' wishes would be fitting. Then again, it'd mean the LP will be a lot shorter...

Meh, we'll either see Shep being rude, or we'll see the others die. It's a win/win situation really.

valgomir on
    edited January 2011
    Maybe we can see both. Bitch almost-failshep. Though you can't fully failshep if you have all the loyalties.

Orca on
    edited January 2011
    I tried a failShep run once.

Jacob survived holding the line with only Thane there to help.

I don't know how.

Everyone else died though. Well, except for Grunt and Legion, since they were both left unborn/deactivated.

Bethryn on
    edited January 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Re: the above
    Unless it's requested otherwise, Morinth will be my sexy Asari companion.
    Death by Ardat-Yakshi would be a good way to end the LP once you're done with it.

klemming on
    edited February 2011
    New Set up. Goddamnit Liara, emote a little? Even Krogans make more facial expressions (hate/disdain/extreme hate).

Bethryn on
    edited February 2011
    I might be wrong, but don't Krogan also display bloodlust?
    It's good to see you back!

valgomir on
    edited February 2011
    Quite possibly.

Thane's pretty bad now I think about it too (animation-wise), although the team do a bit with his body language otherwise and his actor doesn't do too badly. But Liara is just... urgh.

I never really noticed it in the first game either, but then someone mentioned it and now I can't unsee/hear it. 8(

Bethryn on
    edited February 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    now I can't unsee/hear it. 8(

And now I can't. Thanks for that :P

Urgh, I actually watched the previous parts of this LP before I finished ME2 myself, and now I am really tempted to watch it all again. But I don't have the time... :( Ah screw it. Commencing LP-consumption anew.

valgomir on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i guess liara is...stoic? or reserved

or boring

real nice set though, your play is much more exciting, the next set should be pretty fun. also pretty

Nuzak on
    edited February 2011
    valgomir on
    edited February 2011
    New set uploaded. Quality is a bit messy on this one; I think it's something to do with the outside of the Shadow Bro's ship as it made no difference what programme I used to render it, or what settings.

Set 20 - Death by Numbers
    If you have any requests for the next mission, do say; otherwise I might do a loyalty mission.

Also, Valgomir: oh god.

Bethryn on
    edited February 2011
    "BARS! They look scientific and we'll put them on screens. This place has SCIENCE."
    "For once, the voice acting is good, but we don't know why."
    :^:

Loved this set, it looked like great fun. I was already wondering why you'd neglected Slam for so long; it's such a great power.
    Thane's species is called Drell, just for protocol. And the scene with the matriarch on Illium was showing the bartender from the bar who wanted to slap Verner's ass with a Singularity. I think it was meant to imply that she was Benezia's mate and thus Liara's other parent.

I bought Kasumi today and played it, and holy shit, the Locust IS awesome! I mean, from the LP I could see that it was accurate, but I didn't expect it to pull to the side as little as it does. Plus, Kasumi is awesome.

valgomir on
    edited February 2011
    valgomir wrote: »
    And the scene with the matriarch on Illium was showing the bartender from the bar who wanted to slap Verner's ass with a Singularity. I think it was meant to imply that she was Benezia's mate and thus Liara's other parent.

I bought Kasumi today and played it, and holy shit, the Locust IS awesome! I mean, from the LP I could see that it was accurate, but I didn't expect it to pull to the side as little as it does. Plus, Kasumi is awesome.
    Ah, that would be interesting (and explain the scene) if so!

Yeah, the Locust is pinpoint accurate. I kinda want to try out the guns they added in the recent gun pack, since they're apparently awesome, but I don't really like shelling out for non-story content.

Bethryn on
    edited March 2011
    New set is up, Zaeed loyalty:

Bethryn on