As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to Get Rid of a House - Fast

CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So here's the skinny: my wife bought a house when I started grad school. After grad school we moved out of state for my new job. Some folks contracted a lease-to-purchase on our old house, supposedly intending to buy within 3 months.

Cut to two years later. They haven't bought the house and, based on their various credit-related shenanigans they never will. Our taxes are jumping way up due to the property being a non-primary, out-of-state-owned house. I just took a massive pay-cut at work, so there is zero chance that we can afford the mortgage on both our current home (purchased believing the old one was sorted) and the old one. We put the house back on the market 6 months ago (while the leasers were still resident) but have had not a single person contact our real-estate agent to look at the house since. We need to get rid of the house post-haste but can't afford to take a massive loss on it.

Are there any ways to quickly unload the place? We've been looking into the various foreclosure/bankruptcy options, but I don't know jack about real estate and so don't know what I may be missing. It's a perfectly good, 4-5 year old house in a nice neighborhood. The leasers didn't rip out the wiring or bust up the cabinets or anything, so it should logically be worth its appraised price. I know I've seen ads for agencies that buy your house off of you, but I don't know if those things are all scams or if they apply to newish homes selling at or near their appraised value. Is there any way to get rid of the house inside of like 1-3 months that won't completely hose my wife's credit?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
CptHamilton on

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Get a better realtor?
    Also check the sales in the area, as it might be dead in terms of purchasers. What area? What price range? How much are you prepared to drop the price to get rid of it?

schuss on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Most of the "We buy ugly houses" "I buy houses for CASH" things you see aren't scams really, they just offer an extremely low price for the house compared to market value. Unfortunately there really isn't a way to sell a house fast unless you're lucky with a buyer, or are willing to sell it for a lot less than what it's worth.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You may consider selling it at cost of your mortgage rather than its value if the value is substantially higher. At least you'll offload yourself of a potentially huge fiscal liability at that point. Or at least settle for $rhode island instead of $texas in profits. Though it's hard to say without knowing the value of the house and if your mortgage(s) is(are) upside down or something.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It sounds like either your real estate agent sucks or your asking price is substantially above market value. Check out Zillow and see what other homes in your area have actually been selling for. You may have to adjust your expectations.

If you still have renters in the place, it may be impossible to get rid of it in 90 days depending on local housing laws.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You need to get with a good realtor, take your house off the market, make some upgrades to it and relist it at a lower price. It will not be something that will happen "fast." There is no fast way to move a house in the current market, unless you're willing to seriously undervalue it.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DanMachDanMach Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Move back?

DanMach on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    DanMach wrote: »
    Move back?

Thought about that, but it would be a 4-hour commute to work and then we'd have to sell the house here.

The problem is not a crappy realtor or listing the house too high or not having enough upgrades. We upgraded the house before we listed it the first time, got a reasonably successful realtor, and lowered the price to below value when we re-listed it so that it was competitive with other homes in the area. The problem is that nobody is buying. It's a nice, new neighborhood but the collapse of the market stopped all the businesses that were planning to build in the area so now it's further out than people are willing to go when they can live closer to downtown at the same price.

I was hoping there might be some sort of real-estate trickery I wasn't aware of, but I guess it's either get lucky on the shitty market or foreclose. Thanks anyway, all.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sorry man, there's no magic trick to this. There's a reason like a billion people are short saleing or foreclosing right now.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Move back?

Thought about that, but it would be a 4-hour commute to work and then we'd have to sell the house here.

The problem is not a crappy realtor or listing the house too high or not having enough upgrades. We upgraded the house before we listed it the first time, got a reasonably successful realtor, and lowered the price to below value when we re-listed it so that it was competitive with other homes in the area. The problem is that nobody is buying. It's a nice, new neighborhood but the collapse of the market stopped all the businesses that were planning to build in the area so now it's further out than people are willing to go when they can live closer to downtown at the same price.

I was hoping there might be some sort of real-estate trickery I wasn't aware of, but I guess it's either get lucky on the shitty market or foreclose. Thanks anyway, all.

If you want to sell the house and people aren't willing to buy it at the price you have it listed for, it is listed too high. The neighborhood is not as valuable as it was expected to be.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait a minute, if there was a signed contract from a buyer, they're legally obligated to buy your house. Why didn't you take them to court?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Obligatory comedy options -
    1. matches & can of gas - Disclosure: Do not do this.
    2. David Copperfield - YES

schuss on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    Wait a minute, if there was a signed contract from a buyer, they're legally obligated to buy your house. Why didn't you take them to court?

Expense, basically. We have legal grounds to sue them for the agreed sales price of the house, but doing so requires engaging a lawyer, filing the suit, appearing in court a 4 hour drive away, taking time off of work to do all of this, etc. They can't get a loan to buy the house, much less afford to pay a settlement for the price of the house + legal fees, so if we win they would be forced to file bankruptcy and we would still get nothing.

As for the price of the house: it's listed at just enough to cover the amount left on the mortgage plus taxes. On top of that we're offering to pay toward the buyer's closing costs. The price is less than we paid for it and less than it's appraised at. It's about equal to the listed price of other homes in the area that are smaller than it is. The problem is that nobody there is buying anything. When we put it back on the market there were a half dozen other homes for sale in the area that had been on the market for months. I'm sure if we offered to sell at half-off or something it'd get sold, but then we'd be in the hole for the difference. If we could afford to cough up tens of thousands to settle the mortgage after selling it at below what we owe on it then keeping it on the market to find a buyer at a reasonable price wouldn't be an issue.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Move back?

If it's not selling, it is by definition listed too high. That's exactly what it is if no one's willing to pay what you have it listed for. You can blame it on the market, but the market is what it is when you're trying to sell. The value of your house isn't some immutable number set in stone, it changes constantly depending on the market.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Most of the "We buy ugly houses" "I buy houses for CASH" things you see aren't scams really, they just offer an extremely low price for the house compared to market value. Unfortunately there really isn't a way to sell a house fast unless you're lucky with a buyer, or are willing to sell it for a lot less than what it's worth.
    I have a friend who tried doing that. Most probably are legit. The problem is that they need to buy the house from you at a low enough cost that they can fix it up, possibly sit on it for several months to a year while fixing it and waiting for a buyer, and then sell it to someone for a profit. That can get really expensive really quick.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Figgy wrote: »

Expense, basically. We have legal grounds to sue them for the agreed sales price of the house, but doing so requires engaging a lawyer, filing the suit, appearing in court a 4 hour drive away, taking time off of work to do all of this, etc. They can't get a loan to buy the house, much less afford to pay a settlement for the price of the house + legal fees, so if we win they would be forced to file bankruptcy and we would still get nothing.

As for the price of the house: it's listed at just enough to cover the amount left on the mortgage plus taxes. On top of that we're offering to pay toward the buyer's closing costs. The price is less than we paid for it and less than it's appraised at. It's about equal to the listed price of other homes in the area that are smaller than it is. The problem is that nobody there is buying anything. When we put it back on the market there were a half dozen other homes for sale in the area that had been on the market for months. I'm sure if we offered to sell at half-off or something it'd get sold, but then we'd be in the hole for the difference. If we could afford to cough up tens of thousands to settle the mortgage after selling it at below what we owe on it then keeping it on the market to find a buyer at a reasonable price wouldn't be an issue.

Can you legally sell the house while still under contract with the people living in it currently?

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, the tenants have failed to meet their obligations under the contract. Obviously not a lawyer, but I imagine it would be very difficult for the tenants to demonstrate breach of contract by Hamilton when they seem to have breached the contract first. Worth looking into though to make sure you don't have to deal with any nonsense if someone actually makes an offer on the house.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Have you considered keeping the house until the market gets better and renting it out? Would the amount that you could reasonably charge for rent offset the other expenses you're incurring due to taxes and the mortgage? I'm assuming you've already evicted or are in the process of evicting the people who broke their contract with you.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah it sounds like you need to rent it until you've got enough equity to unload it, or until the market picks back up.

I also can't afford to sell my house currently, and i am renting it out until i can. I am lucky and am living in my parent's old place so i don't really have any other expenses to speak of. sucks man, but unless you want to walk away from the mortgage you are stuck. Since you already have a second home, it doesn't sound like a foreclosure would end you, talk to the bank and see if you can do one of those "house surrender" things. Where you give them the keys instead of them having to go through the whole foreclosure process. I don't really know how those work though.

Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure is what it's called. Or look into a short sale.

oh and you made a good call not suing the people. Unless you are sure they can afford to pay the settlement, it's not worth the expense. I'm out like 8k extra in lawyer fees because the guy i'm suing is deciding to go bankrupt.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As a side note, having the second property can be a headache, but there are also substantial tax write offs that one can perform due to it.

MrOletta on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah it sounds like you need to rent it until you've got enough equity to unload it, or until the market picks back up.

I also can't afford to sell my house currently, and i am renting it out until i can. I am lucky and am living in my parent's old place so i don't really have any other expenses to speak of. sucks man, but unless you want to walk away from the mortgage you are stuck. Since you already have a second home, it doesn't sound like a foreclosure would end you, talk to the bank and see if you can do one of those "house surrender" things. Where you give them the keys instead of them having to go through the whole foreclosure process. I don't really know how those work though.

Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure is what it's called. Or look into a short sale.

oh and you made a good call not suing the people. Unless you are sure they can afford to pay the settlement, it's not worth the expense. I'm out like 8k extra in lawyer fees because the guy i'm suing is deciding to go bankrupt.

Yeah, we've looked into the various forms of foreclosure/short sale/surrender/etc. Renting is an option, but the total mortgage + taxes is more than I expect people are going to be willing to pay (non-residence, out of state ownership taxes are stupidly enormous) and we're a bit hesitant to get into another rental situation after the BS associated with the lease. I was really just hoping someone would tell me that one of those "we'll buy your house for cash!" things was a reasonable proposition or that there's some little-known government agency that will buy your house on the spot for...science or something. I didn't really expect it to happen, but no harm trying.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You can sell your house to one of those businesses that offer to pay cash. It's not really a scam. It's just that they're going to be willing to pay significantly less than you're asking. It's the tradeoff for making a quick, easy sale.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah, sounds like you aren't willing to sell for less than the balance of your mortgage, which is too high for the market. So long story short, you are SOL. Sorry dude, at least only she will be the only one to take the credit hit, i think...

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    CreidhesCreidhes Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    North Carolina (assuming that's your state) does not require non-recourse mortgages. Check your paperwork carefully as your lender could pursue a deficiency judgement (sue you for the difference between the foreclosure price and amount owed). Renting for a loss in that case might be cheaper than a foreclosure.

Also, if you have a job that requires clean credit (think DoD), I'd really try to avoid a foreclosure/bankruptcy.

Creidhes on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What I've learned by trying to sell a big thing is that you never get as much as you paid for it, even if it hasn't changed, or is in better quality than when you got it.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What I've learned by trying to sell a big thing is that you never get as much as you paid for it, even if it hasn't changed, or is in better quality than when you got it.

This is just the truth of the real estate market for anyone who bought in the last 10 years. There was a real estate bubble, and what you paid for your house was more than it was really worth. You are in an underwater mortgage. I personally would want to find a way out of that situation with my credit intact. That might involve tightening the belt and finding a way to sell the property for less than I owe and somehow shouldering that debt.

There are, however, many people who would strongly endorse walking away from the mortgage. That's a very complicated, legal process, and if you're going to do it make sure you've gotten some sort of counsel to help you dodge any additional complications.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If this family is still making payments on the house, you could do a seller financed mortgage. You sell them the house, but you are basically the bank. You issue them a mortgage which costs a bit more than your mortgage. The house is now theirs in the same sense that you own the house you are in now. They cover the taxes (best that the original note have taxes handled in an escrow account), your note gets paid down. Also means that they will have less to finance when it is all done. Put a clause saying that they need to refinance in 2 years with a real bank to give you an out.

You WILL need to use a law office that works on this stuff to make this work. Their fees for this service are much lower than a traditional transaction.
    Also, most realtors don't do this. So you may need to ask around for one that has done it before.
    Also, realtor fees are traditionally held until the refi as I understand.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why not just rent out the house, rather than trying to sell it? If you can get rent that covers the carrying costs of the house, you can maybe wait out the worst of the price drop and sell it in a few years when the market gets better.

Heck, you might find that renting out the house leads to positive cash flow from the property.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Why not just rent out the house, rather than trying to sell it? If you can get rent that covers the carrying costs of the house, you can maybe wait out the worst of the price drop and sell it in a few years when the market gets better.

Heck, you might find that renting out the house leads to positive cash flow from the property.

He said on the last page that the rent they can pull from it is less than the monthly costs of the house.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

He said on the last page that the rent they can pull from it is less than the monthly costs of the house.
    Then I guess it's a question of how much he would lose if he rented the place out for a couple of years while the market recovered versus selling it at a steep discount now.

It may be that renting the house out at a slight loss might be a better option than getting raped in today's market.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Then I guess it's a question of how much he would lose if he rented the place out for a couple of years while the market recovered versus selling it at a steep discount now.

It may be that renting the house out at a slight loss might be a better option than getting raped in today's market.

That, of course, relies on faith that the market you have your house in WILL recover anytime soon. Some real estate markets are going to stay down for a long, long time. From his description, expected commercial development never occurred near this neighborhood. That neighborhood may never recover to the value originally paid for it, if the original values were based on speculation that the market would grow.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    surely the fact that you have a separate mortgage will help you here - you should be able to roll the inevitable losses into your existing payments so the hit on your lifestyle is manageable. talk to the bank that's issued your second mortgage about refinancing

you're going to lose money out of this. the sooner you understand that, the sooner you can get it done and move on.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.